There are people who claim to love music but have no interesting in playing an actual instrument and know absolutely...

>there are people who claim to love music but have no interesting in playing an actual instrument and know absolutely nothing about music theory

Attached: 1514375271995.png (499x513, 283K)

so what

I don't... understand what you're getting at

Are you not absolutely baffled about this? I know not everyone can be experts but won't you at least try to get involved in creating and/or understanding music if you love it so much?

>Are you not absolutely baffled about this?
not really

I mean I do, but I wouldn't be baffled if somebody didn't

Why do classical/theory/jazz fags never actually talk about the music here, and just bitch and whine about people that don't like it?

I love art I've never tried painting one
I love movies I've never tried directing one
I really love theater I've never tried acting
I love football but I haven't played it in so many years
I love computers so I am a software developer and that's all
can't get in depth of everything I love

>I love art but I've never bothered to learn about composition, color, etc.
>I love movies but I've never bothered to learn about movie making
>I love sports but never bothered to learn the actual rules of the game

Attached: 92d.jpg (211x239, 5K)

>everyone whose not a brain dead knows about basic color theory and perspective / basic artistic tools
> movie making? it's the direction that's the art not holding a fuckin camera like an NPC. never bothered about learning it though
> rules of the game is analogous to genre of a music

You have no point apart from your edge and superiority complex
sad soul

And yet you say you love music but don't even know what a time signature is...

>I love sports but never bothered to learn the actual rules of the game
implying there are 'rules' to music

honestly thought this post was ironic at first, but the more I think about it the more I agree. There's nothing wrong with appreciating music or rather any art for that matter, but in order to love it I would argue you have to participate in it.

Damn straight :)

You seem to love this board yet you might not know how POST requests are handled on a futaba channel work.
You have a common superiority complex based on dunning krugger effect
muhh time signature
muhh true love for music
muhh superior love

Let's hear your music honky

Maybe they like the sound of music.

Almost everyone likes music, OP. You can't expect they'll all write and perform their own.

>muhh true love for music
>muhh superior love

Like it or not there is such a thing as a more authentic and knowledgeable love for music. You would trust an experienced chef over a morbidly obese man who claims to love food but only eats fast food.

>m-muh food analogy

It's a valid analogy.

true
yet you can't deny the fat man's (a man's) claim of loving food (music). He has his "uneducated" taste which makes him happy which is the reason why he eats food (listens to music).
Ranting about the "education" in such a case only brings out your insecurity.

>yet you can't deny the fat man's (a man's) claim of loving food (music)

Yes you can. You ever talk to these fatsos? They're miserable.

there are tons of successful musicians who aren't well versed in music theory

they can be miserable in every aspect of life but that's out of the scope of this discussion.
His love for music is the absolute truth THAT CAN'T BE DENIED. It's a fact.

like?

Like who?

The more I learned about music the less I enjoyed it.

yeah musicians like:
>singers who don't even compose their own music
>songwriters who only use the same 3-4 chords every song and don't even write real melodies
>musicians who say that but basic research shows they went to a fancy art school where they certainly learned music theory

dave mustaine in particular
virtually any death and black metal guitarist
you don't need much theory to make music that's based heavily on rhythm

Attached: phil.png (773x217, 17K)

technical knowledge is of no use unless your goal is making the thing yourself

Music doesn't have rules. Music theory isn't rules. It's a way to describe music. There's no need to learn that.

All of those guys know theory if they can play chords
He's being dishonest.

> I had a big background in listening to classical music and I started trying to compose, like I was playing the guitar but I heard an orchestra in my head. So I was really composing for full orchestra and of course I didn’t know enough chords or harmonies yet but I came up with some interesting stuff.
>Oh you know the first song I wrote completely was that one I did on today’s lesson called "On the sunny side of the ocean". I think I was fourteen when I did that one. See my father knew a lot about music, he played the piano and he would do theory and stuff like that, but I didn’t learn anything from him, but I played that for him and he liked it a lot.

Attached: Fahey_Courtesy_Vanguard_Records[1].jpg (750x500, 67K)

Usually when autists make threads like this, by "knowing music theory" they mean more than just "root-3rd-5th make pretty sound together"

He knows theory, don't kid yourself.

Nice strawman

He means that "playing chords" doesnt really mean "knowing music theory" in the eyes of the original poster, which is why claiming these guys "know music theory" because they can "play chords" doesnt count.

Since that user isn't OP, and OP never stated otherwise, that is a strawman argument

if only subconciously. if you read his interviews, he almost never goes into technical explanations

>if only subconciously
And?

Well most people know some theory subconciously, which basically makes OPs point null anyway. If we count that kind of theory knowledge as legit, then this thread is pointless.

>Well most people know some theory subconciously
They know chord construction subconsciously? No I don't believe so.

Ok, well I do.

Attached: 1525968640837.jpg (424x408, 21K)

i dunno nigga I just like it when the song goes boop beep boop and it makes me happy

Oh what instrument do you play?

like I fucking need your blue note shit when I'm sipping baltika 3 in my lada with bratva blyat.

Attached: 1544138945265.jpg (400x264, 17K)

бeйceд энд peдпиллeд

Not him but I learned some accoustic guitar for a couple of years.

This is nothing new. Ever since the evolution of production and reproduction means, music has been available to the masses. Now it's practically everywhere with very different function (as opposed to music for religion and for aristocrats or the higher middle classes in the olden days) and for everybody. But as access to music grew, musical knowledge plummeted. Now you don't need ANY knowledge of music to access and listen to it or to even compose music. The result is also that debates around music aren't even "musical" anymore. Exhibit A is Yea Forums where 95% of the debates at hand are "this sucks" or "this is good" and a bunch of impressionistic bullshit that has nothing to do with the actual music itself.

This new access to music has its ups and downs but sadly there is not much musical knowledge to go around (apart from trained musicians and producers). That's why most of the music produced and listened to today is catered to the people who have zero knowledge: 2-4 minute songs, emphasis on a simple melody, simple form and structure and a harmonic language that is at Schubert's level, who has been dead for 200 years, at best. Yawn.
On the other hand, it has spawned a lot of genres of music and amateur musicians who have created hundreds of interesting alternative and experimental records which is really good.

OP, there's a lot of people who are very passionate about their preferred genres of music but the music usually isn't that musically interesting or complex or whatever to justify talking about music theory.
I do feel saddened that classical and traditional/folk music (even jazz to a certain degree) isn't more popular though because personally I think it's some of the best stuff humanity has ever come up with.

So, y'know. Overall there's some good and some bad things.

Attached: quote-if-it-is-art-it-is-not-for-all-and-if-it-is-for-all-it-is-not-art-arnold-schoenberg-52-76-13.j (850x400, 49K)

Guitar

OK but user said "most people". You are not "most people"

Most people don't play guitar though.

I don't play any instruments
I could kind of see that with jazz or classical, but what kind of music theory would you need to know to be able to express your opinion about noise? Or ambient? Or no wave? Or tibetan throat singing?

Well sure, I just have faith in people

Attached: nigga.png (776x958, 1.39M)

you're giving way too much credit to music theory. Music theory is constantly evolving and is heavily based on what sounds "good". I know all the math behind tonality but that was done after the fact so it really is just confirmation bias. Chord construction was most likely an intuitive process rather than someone taking a theoretical approach and then deciding what chords to play

based

>what kind of music theory would you need to know to be able to express your opinion about noise? Or ambient? Or no wave?
Is it a stretch to say production should be under the domain of music theory? You know, describing the music from the perspective of how it was produced because it's mostly electronic music (or at least played by electrophone instruments).
Also music theory explains, for example, harmonic functional logic (chord progressions in a certain key) and stuff when that's the point of the music (which is tonal). Noise, ambient and no wave either aren't tonal or they don't follow this logic at all, so I would use other kinds of descriptors to describe it. This is music that has probably a lot to do with texture and sonority, not chord progressions. So in that case I would talk about those things for example.

>Or tibetan throat singing?
No idea how this works though. It could be microtonal? I have no idea really.

>I don't play any instruments
Then where did you learn about chord construction?
OK
OK, doesn't refute anything I've said. But I'm sure you believe that.

most people are evil though
ew evil ni yteicos

>there are people who claim to love music but have no interesting in playing an actual instrument

I actually do, but I'm poor as fuck and don't wanna fall for the learning acoustic/electric guitar meme

>an instrument is a meme
You are probably too stupid to understand it anyways

What is this backwards shit

bro go to a pawn shop and buy an acoustic guitar for like 20 bucks. It really does add a whole new dimension to music

Music theory being an intuitive process points towards it being something that can be subconsciously grasped

you can talk about all sort of effects music has on you without studying and pinpointing the techniques that make it work. harmonic logic is of no use when trying to discuss effects. you may not know the technical name for it, but you will know what i'm talking about

But obviously not fully realized (and thus authenticated) unless it's used in practice. Hence the distinction.

nice argument retard

>you can talk about all sort of effects music has on you without studying and pinpointing the techniques that make it work
Psychology of music and neuroscience? I think you have to study that shit to really know what happens, introspection is too subjective. But I'm talking about actual musical debates about the music itself, not impressionistic stuff (like I said in my original post).

>harmonic logic is of no use when trying to discuss effects
Yeah, I agree.

>you may not know the technical name for it, but you will know what i'm talking about
It's easier to communicate if we all speak the same language. But some genres don't justify a lot of musical theory because theory isn't there yet with the right terminology or techniques (theory always comes after practice after all) or the music is too simplistic.

Like I said in my original post, there's ups and downs to this.

I know it is.

Is there a problem? Something you aren't quite getting?

>You are probably too stupid to understand it anyways
you don't seem to realize how stupid this sounds, like some 12y/o said it

Like thinking a guitar is a meme?

i was saying that "You are probably too stupid to understand it anyways" makes you look like an idiot

You didn't answer my question. Try again?

> introspection is too subjective
yet extremely important because it's your experience of music that makes it valuable for you

Also true, yes.

i said nothing against the point you were trying to make and i wont argue with you over some fucking complex you seem to have

You didn't answer my question. Try again?

pop/rap/rock/indie/"experimental" is musically uninteresting

what do you consider experimental?

Excuse me, what?

Did you read the thread?

you guys are fucking retarded

I don't love music, I like some of it, as most people do. I know jackshit about theory and I don't care.
Huge bait thread.

>"experimental" is musically uninteresting
Wrong.

then this thread is not about you.

>won't you at least try to get involved in creating
I have other priorities to be honest.

Like shitposting on Yea Forums?

Other than classical/jazz/different kinds of world music, what else even is there

Not really a bait thread, or OP but for myself at least I totally get that not everyone is a musician obviously but to be so passionate for music and to have no interest in making any is something I cannot wrap my head around

Not really a bait thread, not OP but for myself at least I totally get that not everyone is a musician obviously but to be so passionate for music and to have no interest in making any is something I cannot wrap my head around at all

OP I just want to remind you that the world would improve if you shot yourself in the head today

Do you like to eat? I can't imagine you're not a chef!

Was gonna try making some ambient/plunderphonics stuff sometime soon

>it’s a valid analogy
Well, fat people eat out of addiction and habit, people listen to music as a hobby
So no, food does not equate to art

And I think you’re under the impression people on this board don’t understand chord progressions and time signature but I’m sure the majority have a basic grasp of these things.

No we are talking about actual music

Thankyou for reminding me, almost forgot

99% of all white girls who claim online to have good music tastes literally only listen to shit reposted on tumblr.

#musicismylife types can never even follow a fuckin rhythm

Listening to music all the time is an addiction.

I don't post very often. It's more like a distraction anyways.

>world music
It's all just folk music. I guess you can look at some pop music and go "huh, that's actually quite neat", both from a compositional and historical standpoint. But other than that there's not much to it, and other ones overshadow it.

I know music theory but can't play any instruments lol

w-well...

Attached: tenor.png (640x628, 150K)

>there are people who claim to love food but have no interest in cooking and know absolutely nothing about recipes and ingredients

people who play instruments are pretentious fuck you, yeah cool you have a hobby and will probably die shit and unrecognized too. truly u are enlightened for strumming a guitar for hoes.

A niggas gotta eat and shit. And fuck. A nigga's gotta have priorities.

I'd love to learn an instrument. Gonna put it off till I got nice cash though

I mean, if I could learning to play some instrument rn probably would be Piano, Bass Guitar or Drum. Even synths and sax , like, acoustic/electric guitars just aren't my thing. Simple as.

Not all of us have the coordination to learn an instrument, jerkoff. But I agree with the second point, that's just laziness.

Attached: 1548179292535.jpg (720x696, 56K)

There are rules if it's not going to be absolutely shit.

This music theory wojak post got over a hundred replies just like that concert post that triggered everybody
people here are very defensive about music standards lmao

Wow you perfectly captured yourself with that brainlet pic. Good job fucking retard

cringe

It's called being the Beatles and learning hundreds of songs by playing 8 hours every night for two years (although admittedly McCartney just didn't know the definition of music theory, he's always talking about the chords that the song should resolve into and getting on the others for being in the wrong key in Beatles outtakes).

what the fuck you killed paul mccartney

>want to make music
>can't grasp music theory for shit
I try, but it just doesn't click.

Attached: 36634.jpg (683x683, 68K)

>There's no need to learn that.
Wow, you really do love music

It wasn't an argument. If you bothered to learn the formal rules of logic, you would have known that

do u have to of fucked a girl in real life, no know you'd love to?

>be completely unaware of the technical aspect of music
>have the greatest taste in existence
>decide to take up making music
>become a music god and go on to be known as the greatest musician to have ever lived

A lot of people who are musicians make and listen to boring music so it's not important to make music to have an opinion on it

Attached: serveimage.jpg (199x253, 11K)