Do you still use compact cassettes for anything? Why or why not?

Do you still use compact cassettes for anything? Why or why not?

Attached: 44616808-FCC1-4215-A41E-1F4D3C995359.jpg (900x537, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_tape
youtube.com/watch?v=DjxD59mI9oU
youtube.com/watch?v=t9B_erkJe-k
youtube.com/watch?v=WSCU_t3o7KI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>compact cassettes
wat

How old are you, son?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_tape

no because it's not 1988 anymore

When im out in the woods taping your mum

Not really, but certain releases (mostly demo tapes) were only released on tape format, so I own a small collection of those. I've digitalized everything though.

Attached: Foto-0037.jpg (1280x960, 291K)

Eat them

What's the one at the top, third from the left? Looks interesting

yeah i use microcassettes to record lofi folk lmao

No one calls it a compact cassette you dummy

I just started collecting tapes, the empty spots are for tapes that haven't arrived yet

Attached: IMG_4162.jpg (703x937, 128K)

are you just bulk buying random shit off eBay?

horrible format and deservedly consigned to the dustbin of history

>compact cassettes
Stop trying to sound older than you are, faggot. Cassettes were garbage then and they're even worse today.

Great for cheap and easy DIY productions to share with others

cassettes are coming back, faget.
i got a box full of classical music type IV tapes. kino find, will record demos over them :)

I buy a lot of newer bands' releases on tape if it's available. Also got quite a few bm tapes.

the format is so fundamentally flawed it's never going to be more than a retrofetishist gimmick

>fundamentally flawed
How so?

I buy tiny indie Bandcamp memeshit on tape sometimes. It's a shit format but all physical music is a meme so whatever

hey bro are you allowed to use that image? I see that it has a watermark, which makes me think that the image is not yours. If this image is not yours, please DELETE IT NOW

a lot of bands have them on bandcamp. i get them all the time, they're priced around 5 dollars.

the audio quality is terrible and degrades over time with repeated plays, aging, exposure to magnets; you have to manually rewind and fast forward (you'd often take the tape out and do this physically to save your walkman's batteries); the tape could get jammed/twisted and would have to be untangled and wound back in with a pencil, resulting in potentially more degradation of sound
it's not a format that inspires nostalgia because anyone old enough to use cassettes remembers what a terrible and inconvenient format it was. it's not a format that appeals to music lovers because the sound quality is so poor. so the primary market is people who want to fetishize old stuff because.... idk, it's cute and anachronistic i guess.
the only aspect that i remember fondly is trading mixtapes with friends and crushes. composing a playlist, taping the songs one by one, giving them to people/sending them to friends in other countries was a physical labor of love that gave the tapes a resonance beyond their music.

>the audio quality is terrible
No, it's fine
>degrades over time with repeated plays
Like vinyl, so irrelevant
>exposure to magnets
Live digital, so irrelevant
>aging
Like compact discs, so irrelevant
>you have to manually rewind and fast forward
So you are saying you are more focused on the music, and thus are a better listener
>the tape could get jammed/twisted and would have to be untangled and wound back in with a pencil, resulting in potentially more degradation of sound
This is due to a poor player. Irrelevant.
>it's not a format that inspires nostalgia
Absolutely incorrect. Sorry you are a zoomer and don't remember.
>it's not a format that appeals to music lovers because the sound quality is so poor.
Nope, it's fine when using High Bias tapes. It's fully within the perceivable human frequency spectrum.

dumb b8er, sorry i bothered

>You refuted my entire argument??
>must be a baiter
Not an argument

>still
spotted the old fag

Used them a ton as a lad, not anymore. In this day and age they're completely worthless. If I want analog sound I'll use a phonograph. If I want to make a playlist I'll just use my phone. I don't see a single advantage to cassettes anymore.

Based

Nigga I'll let you know that I turn 30 in a little over a month.

i only release stuff on tape, no digital or anything. I like to keep it very hush hush and mysterious, and you can't do that when everybody and their mother has access to it. So I release tapes around town, through word of mouth or by just dropping a bunch off at the local book and music stores. Music is far too inclusive, it has lost its lusty mysterious appeal, so cassette tapes are perfect for making it exclusive. If you are in the know you'll have a tape player around, it's hip rn on bandcamp, but I take it a step further by not releasing stuff online at all. I have a cult following in my town. Soon, very soon the world.

>Some nobody Bandcamp artist has the nerve to charge $10+ for a cassette

Attached: mad-squint-reaction-21748687.png (500x552, 73K)

Wrecked

This is exactly what I hope to do very soon. I just gotta make more music. It's such an attractive idea

>30 years old
>calls people "niggas" on the internet
cringe

Just record record record, try to record something to tape everyday. Tapes are a lot more work but it's worth it. I grew up in the punk scene where this was normal, but it seems to be catching on in other scenes as well. Godspeed brother, keep the faith.

Thanks dude

Attached: 1536880305535.jpg (474x460, 48K)

Nah I'm making my tape collection 80s jangle pop. Threw in those American football tapes cause why the hell not.

anyone who buys casettes for some normie shit like alvvawys should get shot

Please shoot me I wanna die

da'vid shito:al - sankaku no tsuki
youtube.com/watch?v=DjxD59mI9oU

I am lazy so I will just second these points, also if you are concerned about temporal longevity over tonal quality why would you do something like eat fancy food that will just spoil when you could just eat spam that will last forever

I use cassettes to add tonal color to the music I make and it drives easily because of the tape width, makes for a nice magnetic overdrive-like sound. The tape hiss is aight too I guess but it is too high passed for me as a sonic feature to master whole tracks to it, I prefer the fuller palette and higher gain capacity of an old 1/4" reel to reel with texturally rich hiss. Sounds more like brown noise than blue noise to my ear.

youtube.com/watch?v=t9B_erkJe-k

youtube.com/watch?v=WSCU_t3o7KI

Attached: brianenough.png (243x299, 78K)

i record on tape cuz its comfy

Attached: 1550628421618.jpg (640x640, 27K)