Renoise thread

I just bought Renoise
What should I expect?

Attached: renoise2_win.png (989x700, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7c6NccFTfQU
users.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/
youtube.com/watch?v=tbLt0S0W5jE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fun, if you have the patience.

I wanted to get it, but it's still unable to sort goddamn notes of imported midi in proper logical low-to-high pitch rows

You should expect a hell of a lot of fun.
>I am the one who made the tracks which made the devs incorporate my feature requests.
So I know its bloody good.

Try to learn another way, I recommend to drop everything you know and learn the new wae.

Forget it, it a novelty.
Get reaper(free forever) to record and mix, use the free ableton that comes free ok every fucking thing you buy nowadays for jamming/live, etc.

Few extra notes:
- There’s an awesome renoise community on IRC via irc.Esper.net #Renoise (its official).
- The forums are always well staffed.
- Join things called One Hour Compos. They are there on IRC to facilitate the learning and fun process of exploring your DAW within a time constraint and the only thing which you win is ego! If you lose, its still fun. Used to host them myself, but if there aren’t any in the Renoise channel you can look in #mod_shrine on the same network.
- There’s more than one way to do the same thing, which is confusing but there for legacy reasons. Command numbers have more or less been replaced by automation envelopes in the bottom of the screen to control almost all parameters of a VSTi or sample/instrument. Those that stick with using Tracker Effects (like in the demo songs that come with it) are mainly from before the time Renoise could do so much with automation.
- Hydra is a hell of a built in plugin for wiggling other DSPs in the chains.

Its a joy to use. If you have a vision of something you want to do, break it down into small pieces.

Also, don’t forget you can do channel groupings, so you can keep sets of instruments in collapsible groups to make navigating a big track easier.

Here’s an example of a really old piece made that way. youtube.com/watch?v=7c6NccFTfQU

I dunno, but seeing this post made up for the shit day.

Attached: 29C31155-488E-493F-8A67-7A9A63231CC8.jpg (400x439, 34K)

>free ok
free on, fuck phoneposting

It its any consolation, its less of a novelty if one has Asperger syndrome. It can be honed into something that will teach through challenge. BUT that said you are right, there are easier ways, though this has legacy in how computer music began in the first place. Trackers. Wahhooo!

>me ITT

Attached: 0D94C8BD-E232-4584-A03C-E43909E36B06.jpg (1101x620, 64K)

I feel you, i like using lsdj in my gameboy, its fun.

I would love to play with LSDJ but my hands are torn to shreds. Are you on 8bit collective? Absolutely legendary scene there back in the day.

:3

Glad to have improved your mood.
I am just now starting to actually get around to trying to make music for real this time (I have toyed around with it for a decade) and was looking for a really well designed and fun DAW to use while I'm learning everything and Renoise sounded like a good start.
This all started out from me considering trying out OpenMPT and I saw that there wasn't any mac os support (I don't have a mac yet but I might some day) and so I chose Renoise.
This looks like a very esoteric way of producing music, but because of the whole tracker interface that'll cause me to produce a certain sound so I'll always come back to Renoise in the future either for fun or for a particular aesthetic.
Can Renoise control hardware synthesizers?
I'm thinking about getting a KORG MS-20 and since there is MIDI could it be possible?
That would be way better than using the VSTs which don't sound as good as the real deal.
Anyhoo cheers fellow trackerfag.

Attached: robot-cat.jpg (345x400, 19K)

>Can Renoise control hardware synthesizers?
That’s a hell yes. The midi DSP plugin that you can pick from the finder window on each channel will let you assign it to a midi channel and device.

Your welcome!

Attached: A6D9351F-80FA-43A7-ADC3-4B46FDD2FD7A.jpg (400x439, 33K)

that track is hilarious man, thank you for being you

Im not part of them, I kinda stumbled into lsdj when searching for a cheap sequencer, found the midi out capabilities and got hooked, i use it for rythm sequences mostly.

Can you play notes in real time via midi into renoise or is everything handplaced? The pattern based approach seems really close to how I think about music but they look very work intensive in terms of fiddling.

Ableton

Yes you can use an external midi controller with remotes and play chords, etc. it inputs and expands the number of note columns automatically.

Tskkk iPad. Remotes=Renoise

Anytime

Attached: 58217B68-0BD7-440D-852E-32BB5524EFBE.jpg (535x462, 133K)

>Try to learn another way
there's no another way to make chords work in Renoise. Either it's a mess or it's properly sorted notes.

what the fuck is the point of using a tracker in 2019? honest question, the work flow looks like hell

you feel like a hacker

>tfw too dumb for Ableton Live
>have been using Famitracker for a year now
>discover this
holy shit
should i use this instead of ableton because im too stupid to learn ableton

They're easy to use.

complex drums, ease of use
once you get used to it, it becomes fairly fast to use

Anyone want to share ur copy pretty pls uwu? Im not gonna put in on piratebay I swear.

Is this for people who don't know how to actually mic a drum kit and record real musicians?

I bought Renoise like a year ago but I think Im a brainlet and I dont get it lol
The effects are cool to use in drums, but Im not into that genre.

No, it's for professionals.

Btw whats so hard to understand Ableton, literally the most logical DAW out there and with the most tutorials

But professionals know how to actually mic a drum kit and record real musicians

speaking of trackers, anyone try this shit before?

users.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/

I doubt professionals use trackers
unless you're a part of some c00l 1337 hacker scene

>real musicians
Try and program something good into this, we'll see who the real musician is.

Fuck hackers, i've been using these since the early 90s. Nothing to do with hackers.

Professionals do use trackers, you just can't make anything professional on it because you're too fucking thick to use it.

Venetian Snares did some albums with Renoise.

or because I don't care about obsolete unnecessarily complicated elitist user interfaces

I'm not a programmer, sorry.

You can see it at the start of this vid by venetian snares

youtube.com/watch?v=tbLt0S0W5jE

Renoise is for sophisticated and highly intelligent individuals.
Retards need not apply.

>im too stupid to learn ableton
How? ableton is the easiest shit.