Discuss your relationship with this album, I'm curious

Discuss your relationship with this album, I'm curious.

Attached: Trout_Mask_Replica.png (220x220, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r6mzoso95-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

listened to the first track then zoned out while playing oblivion master race

One of my favorite albums. No bad songs on it, although some are superior to others.

listened to it for the first time a few months ago. potent stuff that lives up to the hype

i first hated it now i kinda like it but only just so

It's got riffs for days

friends with benefits

I really like about half of it. The rest is filler. The acapella tracks have no right to exist.
Lick My Decals Off, Baby is better in my opinion.

i think its funney

bad

favorite/least favorite tracks?

my fav: Frownland
my least fav: China Pig

It makes my bulbes HOT

Favorite: Veteran's Day Poppy
Least Favorite: Orange Claw Hammer

it's loads of fun

really fasts my bulbous.

pseud magnet

bump

Attached: 220px-MeetTheResidents1.jpg (220x220, 15K)

I've attempted to listen to this album a dozen or so times and I invariably end up getting impatient and bored and quitting. I don't think I've even made it to the halfway mark.
I listen and wait for something I like the sound of, or even something cool or interesting, but it's just...not there.

I understand until I started doing research into Captain Beefhart and the story of the album itself. Although I don't like it I can still appreciate it for what it is

I appreciate it, but don't enjoy it.

That is simply the only way to correctly listen to this album btw

Stupid and Gay. If you gave me a hundred dollars I would buy as many vinyls as I could and I would burn them

>be me
>High and curious
>Don't usually listen to dadrock
>Go into this with low expectations
>Mind blown and burst into tears of joy listening to this amazing album while high as heaven

It is deprived of any artistic or musical quality is only popular because it is part of the relativist/subjectivist movement ruining America

>dadrock
Yikes

Loved it when I was a teenager. Haven't listened to it for years. I'm glad I found Zappa and Beefheart at the right age.

Yeah I'm embarrassed for him.

You were too young to appreciate it though. You "Liked" it for the wrong reasons

Interesting, but ultimately discordant and unpleasant to listen too like most experimental music.

Favorite track: Steal Softly Thru Snow
Least Favorite Track: hard to pick, but yeah, probably China Pig.

Decals is amazing as well, but the a cappella tracks on TMR are top notch. "Well" has brought me to tears more than once.

Also
>I need to be high to appreciate music
Double yikes

You don't really know that.

I love frownland, and that's the most memorable track in my mind. I loved how unique it was and bought a vinyl reissue for like $60. I only listened to the full album like once and that was it. It does however function as a great discussion starter when I have people over.

I downloaded TMR and Safe as Milk almost exactly 10 years ago knowing practically nothing about Beefheart other than a lot of my favorite artists had cited him as an influence. Loved Safe as Milk immediately but didn't get TMR at all and found it pretty unlistenable. I'd take a stab at it once or twice a year but give up after skipping around for a few tracks.

In the spring of 2015 I was at a low point in my life. One day that March I had to drive an hour each way to a work meeting that I didn't want to go to and was grouchy as fuck. I decided I didn't want to listen to something pleasant and put on an album that I figured would reflect my shitty mood for the commute. I still didn't care for most of it, but China Pig stood out and captured my attention and made me realize that there was likely more here than I was aware of.

I listened to the album a few more times that week (again in the background while driving or playing Starcraft or whatever) and started to find great little riffs and licks and rhythms in several songs that I had never noticed before because I had only grasped the general shittiness of the sound and was not able to dissect the individual instruments and patterns.

Over the following 2-3 months I started listened to the album obsessively, and as I did, I realized that everything was intentional and that what originally sounded like random noise was actually repetitive patterns that only seem random because they often feature different instruments playing in different keys or time signatures at the same time. By the end of that spring, I was in love with the whole thing.

4 years later, I consider this one of my 5 favorite albums of all time. It is one of the only albums that I like MORE with each listen and seems to be inexhaustible. It has changed not only how I listen to music, but my whole outlook on life in general. Safe as Milk now sounds pretty boring by comparison.
/blog

youtube.com/watch?v=r6mzoso95-Q

*invents post rock and grunge*

Attached: 1 18 14 gbh early morning.jpg (1206x1600, 404K)

I think it's fun but I'm rarely in the mood to give it a proper listen.

My relationship with Trout Mask Replica? Well, it's a bit complicated. It's not monogamous, that's for sure, like I do spend my time on other albums as well and of course TMR gets passed around a lot, but I would say it's more than something like friends with benefits if only for the fact that I don't really like TMR at all. It's a good album technically speaking and it did something that wasn't really done before, and it does occasionally finger my asshole, but I won't listen to it even when it's fingering my asshole. You know, because it's not enjoyable if I can hear that shit. My dick goes limp if I hear that shit. I can't help it, trust me I've tried to make it work, I've tried to put more into the relationship, but it just doesn't work. Now, Trout Mask Replica is of course okay with this because it gets all the love it needs from other people. So I guess I'm a bit of a cuck. But really, I don't even consider it a proper relationship. It's more like "yo, wanna finger my asshole while I mute you?" and that's it. Definitely deeper than a lot of albums, and I don't mean just the finger in my ass being deeper but my relationship with it and I guess the album itself. Well, in any case, relationship advice is welcome but not required because this is, after all, just a shitpost.

>vinyls
vinyl is singular, dumbass. im not surprised you dislike tmr

Couldn't get far the first few listens. Listened to it one day I was feeling really shitty and it had a very happy, existentially freeing effect. One of my GOAT albums.

Nah, I do.

fun listen every time i put it on, but feels less interesting the further i listen to the album. the tracks with elements of Beefheart's jazz are especially memorable

No, you don't. Quit being so pretentious.

I liked elements of it from the start. Moonlight on Vermont was by far my favorite track. Listening to it through was kind of a chore at first though, there was so much material. I left it alone for months at a time and came back when I felt like it, and every time I felt like I found something new. These days it feels like an old friend. Although I'm still not a big fan of Don's saxophone playing.
fav: Pachuco Cadaver
least fav: Hair Pie
Disagree on the a capella stuff, orange claw hammer is a huge highlight for me. Also I like Lick My Decals a lot but it feels less like a tight band. The marimba stuff is so focal and so much of it was obviously added as a separate take. I think it lacks the intensity of the best stuff from TMR, even if it's more consistent.

I have never even heard of a musically intelligent teenager

Unless you are?

I listened to it for the first time about a month ago and liked about half the album. I've listened to it a couple more times (once today actually) and I'm really enjoying it

This was made by teenagers

Attached: 220px-Spirit_they've_gone.jpg (220x220, 16K)

how about buddy holly

>musically intelligent
lmfao

the first track is a pleb filter, the rest makes me feel like i'm listening to hot rats (very happy) and having to withstand a very inconvenient acquaintance at the same time

Attached: slint_spiderland.jpg (1200x1200, 523K)

>lmfao the post

It sounds like actual ass

Attached: BokashiMaru_02242019_222435.jpg (210x139, 20K)

Probably the catchiest shit i've ever heard. Some of those riffs and basslines get stuck in your head for days. The bassline in she's too much for my mirror is oops i did it again tier catchy stuck in your head