Why this isn't hailed as modern prog masterpiece is still a mystery

why this isn't hailed as modern prog masterpiece is still a mystery

Attached: a0220476901_10.jpg (1000x1000, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/W2pbHkdWJh8?t=3m58s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The first track is a massive pleb filter. Normies can't handle the growls.

love that track but if prog fans were turned off by just one track, it makes the case unbelievable

I can't think of a single prog album that's considered a masterpiece and contains growls.

Oh shit, I love Kayo Dot threads.

Also just gonna echo track one is a pleb filter, since Byron's vocals are offputting in the context of the music.

I still think Blue Lambency Downward is my favorite Kayo Dot album, though.

I think they fit well, they create this ominous atmosphere right off the bat

>Blue Lambency Downward
contrarian much, huh

for me it's obviously Choirs then Coyote>Hubardo>Coffins>Dowsing>Lambency>Plastic House>Knife

i like The Manifold Curiosity a lot

Attached: choirs of the eye.jpg (2400x2404, 1.62M)

>you're not allowed to like different things

I'd probably consider Hubardo my second favorite, and I like all the albums. That's still a boring way to look at music, though.

Blue Lambency > Hubardo > Choirs > Coyote > Dowsing > Stained Glass > Knife > Plastic > Coffins > Bloody Panda Split

>obviously Choirs
I never understood this. Choirs is probably my least favorite KD record. Kandu vs. Corky alone is better than the entirety of Choirs.

It was a pretty big debut, and it's a pretty accessible one, all things considered, at least for the genre.

I still like the album a lot, though.

I can talk about them for days nigga, it's just the short post format

the hell man, every second on that thing is pure bliss

I wouldn't call any KD accessible, maybe Coffins only

I did qualify it with "for the genre."

And it kinda is, in their discography. Compare it to something from Dowsing or Coyote, and it's fairy accessible.

>Kayo Dot
>Prog
Interesting. I guess that fits, but I'd never consider them as such.

Byron's growls were trash on that track dude, I have to skip over them whenever I listen to it.

So what exactly would you consider albums like Coyote or Blue Lambency Downward? Or even Stained Glass?

Actually I lied, I have a bunch of their albums listed as progressive lmao. I still can't really lump them in with other prog acts though, contemporary or otherwise just cause they don't fit the sound profile. BLD feels more like chamber music...I can see the argument for Coyote because of the Abyss Hinge suite, but I think of most of their earlier records (up till Gamma Knife I guess) as just like contemporary classical with nontraditional instrumentation.

I guess, why do you consider those albums as being prog? Is it the instrumentation, the long song lengths?

I feel Kayo Dot does a pretty crazy run through of different genres, but stuff like Coyote and BLD feel very influenced by bands like Henry Cow and Univers Zero, to me. I also hear a lot more Jazz than chamber music in their albums (aside from Coyote, obviously).

Hubardo still just feels like a metal release, though.

Oh ok, yeah I can hear the UZ influence. Henry Cow...if I squint, yeah there's a bit there. I do disagree about the presence of jazz though, I don't hear any jazz influence at all. I keep hearing people say there's jazz in KD but I can never hear it. The only reasons I can think of for that thought are the heavy use of rubato and some improvisatory-sounding lines, but everything else about their music is reminiscent of chamber music imo

And Hubardo's definitely primarily just metal. Fucking love Floodgate.

That could be knowledge bias and some aesthetics on my part--in interview's Toby has talked about taking classes from Yusef Lateef. I don't think it's entirely absent from their music, either way, and that combination of of chamber, jazz and rock music gives people that "prog" vibe, honestly.

Either way the lush chamber sounding stuff is still my favorite sound of their's. Coffins is my least favorite album and while I do like Plastic House more it's not my favorite.

Yeah Hubardo was great to hear after a run of albums having nothing to do with it; it's always why I find Gamma Knife being so low for a lot of people weird since it's like a demo for Hubardo.

the bloody panda split for me was some of their best stuff,just based off of the first song, the bloody panda part is alright
for me it goes
choirs>Hubardo>Dowsing>coffins>bloody panda>blue lambency>coyote>gamma knife>stained glass>plastic
Toby driver in general makes some god tier music

They Are the Shield was an excellent album for last year.

I hope the new KD album is choice.

are they working on a new album? I thought toby is in some sort've art hiatus

The Dreaming
youtu.be/W2pbHkdWJh8?t=3m58s

>modern prog
>masterpiece
Pick only one