/prod/ - music production general

New to producing? Check the faq pastebin.com/B4nMDwmZ

Still got questions? Please be specific with what you're trying to do, the better you explain the better people will be able to help you.

Post works in progress to instaud.io/ or clyp with an anonymous account. Anything with your artist name should be posted in the soundcloud or bandcamp threads
previous thread:

Attached: DJ Khaled.jpg (617x409, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/idgm5i3g
youtube.com/watch?v=SPc-oWXEhQQ
audioz.download/software/win/153436-download_fl-studio-producer-edition-v2012-build-877.html
arturia.com/products/sparkle/resources
youtu.be/i4xgH_qsaoI
mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/polyrhythmBeatGenerator.php
translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=sv&text=aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
youtu.be/zNo1hJi2gPw
vocaroo.com/i/s18mQhBqx4Qi
youtube.com/watch?v=xDlZjmxWChM
www115.zippyshare.com/v/G7nuq1wh/file.html
vocaroo.com/i/s0AYcMVMDgZi
clyp.it/2ksks5l1
instaud.io/3lx2
instaud.io/3lxR
clyp.it/rzyq20yn
clyp.it/c5kv5cv4
clyp.it/gidnogcn
youtube.com/results?search_query=trent reznor talks synthesizer
instaud.io/3lCk
open.spotify.com/track/32iPykTXUNZ9oGyACGUybq
crushed-velvet.bandcamp.com/track/moors
youtube.com/watch?v=SqayDnQ2wmw
youtu.be/5aDWDt-xrbs
vocaroo.com/i/s0LjeYGJPt3B
vocaroo.com/i/s178SGmyDXJP
instaud.io/3lLk
youtu.be/F7qlc5EVydo
youtu.be/4lfE1tZBfO4
instaud.io/3lN0
instaud.io/3lNa
vocaroo.com/i/s0Pmpbixwfxs
clyp.it/sfi5hspz
youtube.com/watch?v=uQJboDs0Jtk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

tried to improve the mix on this as advised couple of weeks ago

clyp.it/idgm5i3g

first for ableton better than cube-ass

>gaybleton user talks about ass
Of course, considering a faggot of your caliber must be an expert in butt stuff

At least I'm not as gay as someone who makes "fruity loops".

pro tools>digital performer>cubase>logic>reaper>renoise>reason>mixcraft>studio one>bitwig>ableton>soundforge>flstudio>traction>acid>samplitude>sonar

DubTurbo >>>>>>>> all the other toy "DAWs"

another user; does it really matter which DAW you use? i mean i use cubase because it came with a shitty yamaha keyboard i bought years ago and stuck with it ever since. i think FL studio looks terrible in design tho. cubase seems really easy to understand and intuitive.

I like ableton better for sound design but that's about it

All the main DAWs are good, but there are differences between them that make one be more suited than others at one thing and less suited at other things.

Cubase is a very good all-around DAW, so if you're fine with it then just stick with it.
Unless you really need something in another DAW that Cubase doesn't have, the time and effort for learning a new DAW and becoming proefficient in it is most likely not worth it.

Theoretical question for /prod/. What makes a reverb-saturated guitar sound like dream-pop and not like church music?

Basically make it sound like shoegaze and then lessen the effects until it's dreampop. It's coming in from the clean direction that makes it sound like faithrock.

>It's coming in from the clean direction that makes it sound like faithrock.
very good point

youtube.com/watch?v=SPc-oWXEhQQ

Are the synths (and some times drums) programmed in polyrhythms or it's all manually made to sound "random"?
And how does one make it sound so good?
When I try to make these things myself it sounds like a 5yo clicked around in my piano roll and ruined my midi.

Attached: a7c6f913.png (395x395, 396K)

disableton and cubass suck equally
first for pro tools

probably used a randomizer

So they're not polyrhytms?
I can't really tell.

>And how does one make it sound so good?
sound desig / ixing

PSA:

A very recent version of FL Studio (if not the latest, I'm not sure) and corresponding crack is available on AudioZ:
audioz.download/software/win/153436-download_fl-studio-producer-edition-v2012-build-877.html

Get it quick (or at least save the dl links somewhere) before Image-Line gets it removed.

Attached: 2019-02-24 22_21_28-Untitled - Notepad.png (342x206, 24K)

Not him, but it almost sounds to me like the pulse on the synth starts at a slightly slower tempo and slightly slows down and then resets to be nearly on beat every other measure or so.
It's like the main beat is pushing along while the synth is trying to pull it back -- I like that feeling too.

I don't mean how to make the song sound good.
I mean how to get the "randomness" aspect right.

Yeah, that could be it.
I'm afraid my ear isn't trained eough so I can't tell if it's this either, but it's a cool idea that's worth exploring nonetheless, thank you.

but fl studio sucks, doesnt it?

Attached: kpoop.jpg (1000x1499, 593K)

It's definitely a polyrhythm:
do a bop to the initial synth sound, then notice how the beat comes in at a totally different pulse.

With these things always keep it simple.

What kind of polyrhythm?

>With these things always keep it simple.
What do you mean?
Could you elaborate please?

khaled isnt a producer.
bad post image. its unrelated.

No idea what's it called.

By simple, I mean don't pile your tracks with several different rhythms. Usually two is enough.

Ah I see, I'll keep that in mind thank you.

it does.
download REAPER.

I downloaded a cracked Arturia Sparkle library and put it into my FL Studio VSTs but it's not showing up no matter what I do. Do I need to download the Sparkle VST now or am I overlooking something?

best drum machine for making music for dracula's dungeons?

I've never even heard of this thing, but here I see a "Spark 2" program.
arturia.com/products/sparkle/resources

Maybe it's this.

Try consulting the manual and/or youtube.

When is Reaper 6 coming out?
REEEEEEaper.

yeah bro, trust me

can u make it a torrent?

I didn't upload the file myself and I don't even have it downloaded (I don't use FL myself).
Just posted it because I know it can be a bit hard to pirate recent clean versions of FL.
I'm not downloading it to reupload it via torrent, sorry.

Use the Rockfile or Uploadboy links. They're usually pretty fast

You shouldn't stick with the first melody you shit out

OH MY GOD ARE THOSE RUBBER SOUNDS AT 1:53???

anyone know where I can find solid plugin/VST cracks or torrents these days? been a long time since I’ve done it and I really want Omnisphere

rutracker.org

use chrome to translate

Attached: pirate.png (717x474, 24K)

youtu.be/i4xgH_qsaoI

It's just bad flying lotus imitation manually placed tuned layered drums - 808 bd lowpassed/acoustic BD band passed/tape hiss hipassed and snare with the clap offset by a few samples ahead or behind, all heavily processed and each sound with its frequency space carved out.

The synth is just a filter modulation plugin like The Drop with stereo effects set to an eight note division of when the pan and filter sweep occurs on the left/right speaker and a negative ms offset to make it sound wonky.

Wonky beats are dated as hell and his production is sub-par, a johnny come lately ripoff mix of J Dilla and Rustie, stuff from 2008-2011. Tweens only listen to him because he has an undending arsenal of generic millennial whoop female singers singing about FOMO shit

Could you link some better versions of this kind of "random-sounding" polyrhythmic stuff?

I'm pretty sure you can take any musician and shit on them in some way or another... pretty funny.

how do i learn to write sheet music

You do realize it's just an LFO stereo filter that's triggered by midi and it's either free running LFO modulators creating the varying rhythms or he's retriggering it a 16th note ahead and then maybe a 8th note or the third of a triplet, it's slapdash and not really polyrhythmic with intent it's just someone mashing a preset maybe a tweaked a bit at most.

By learning how to read it? What part are you hung up on?

People listen to you- I mean Flume for the same reason people take Xanax because it sounds teenagey like cody or tyler or stacey when in reality all they really do is send you to sleep

But it's not steady with the rhythm, so what's that difference between that main rhythm and that of the synths?

I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH MY NEW SNIPPET AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I like to laugh at cunts posing in their studio with large consoles as if they still granted you anything apart from an abstract feeling of respectability

I get where you're coming from but no need for the negativity chap I'm sure u would get certain gear if u had the extra money

Do an experiment in your DAW.
Set up two measures in 4/4 to loop. Have one kit play a straight beat and have another just play equal notes in, let's say, 13 equal subdivisions.
Can someone set this up? I would love to hear it but I don't have a DAW.

I don't know how to translate whatever's on my head into the music sheet

>starting the thread with a picture of a degenerate joke of a "producer"

Attached: hit or miss.jpg (640x640, 47K)

Tried ableton and immmediately uninstalled it. Fuck that program. I don't get why anyone would use it over cubase or logic.

>pro tools
lol, nice bait.

>I don't get why anyone would use it over cubase or logic.
Because they're smart enough to understand it.

Start with transcribing the melody. Can you do that? Can you at least sing what you hear?

The main rhythm is running a J Dilla track through a gate+SPL transient designer/lowpass filter - resample to audio, convert to midi for kicks, rinse and repeat with bandpass around 200-300hz for snares. Delete all the midi glitches and clean it up a bit and you've got the groove of j dilla or madlib or flyo hitting the pads in like 2 minutes for your kick and snare.

The synth is a reverse envelope polarity ran through a stereo filter effect with LFO modulators changing the rate of sweep via something like M4L's LFO, using a filter like Cytomic's The Drop, it alternates in the left and right ear, sounds like a tweaked preset. It could just be an analog lab preset and some cookie cutter music school automation to 'add interest'. It's not 'polyrhythms' if someone assigns velocity to decay time and reverses the env depth polarity and just draws in a bunch of different velocities between 1 and 127 on each hit it's just random and its not a good sound.

that pic you posted is degenerate

You're either trolling or you don't know what you're talking about.

You mean like this?

Attached: 2019-02-25 00_25_40-Untitled_ - Ableton Live 9 Suite.png (1434x503, 37K)

Yes
I also found this:
mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/polyrhythmBeatGenerator.php
but it only goes up to subdivisions of 10.

how do i learn to write shit music

I couldn't tell you. it contest naturally to me

prolly, but I will never be a studio cunt

Learn Solfege. It's something I've put off for far too long but I've been learning this and doing ear training a little every day and it really is indispensable. Even as few as 15 minutes will help. The key is to engage it every day.

Attached: 27087_1011_white_front_2.jpg (512x768, 110K)

roland tr-707

Kind of but not really
He couldn't figure out the secret and obviously just said fuck it to try for /prod/ points

do you have any instrument to play on? my best way to write something down in my head is to work it out at a piano

>Can someone set this up? I would love to hear it but I don't have a DAW.
>hardware setup is sooooooop superior

Lol @ gearfetishizing "musicians"

Anyone have a good female voice VST? Like an "ahhh"

So we meet again.
I don't even have hardware; I just come here to shitpost.
translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=sv&text=aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Attached: shutterstock_9767414t.jpg (780x516, 33K)

thanks, that's just what i was looking for

youtu.be/zNo1hJi2gPw
What's the deal with this guy?
You can watch his videos from 2 years ago and it acts like a normal human being.
Now I can't really tell if he's too deep in the rabbit hole and he's slowly acquiring autism or if he's playing a character for views or if it's just on drugs all the time but something is simply not right with him.

vocaroo.com/i/s18mQhBqx4Qi

also fuck my grammar I always notice mistakes when it's too late

get a life faggot

Let me just remind you that this guy allowed Phaser to do this:
youtube.com/watch?v=xDlZjmxWChM

>phaser user
I can't believe I missed that

Missed that where?

when he shows the email

I mean how many fucking (simple easily digestible) tutorials can you make reeeally? Eventually you have to stretch out stupid no shit information like this to put out bullshit for clicks or dive deep and stream yourself making a song for three hours (and risk exposing yourself as shit)

Yes and it was beautiful

Ah, I thought you were Multiplier (or pretending to be him) slipping and saying he didn't realize that Phaser was from Yea Forums but put 2 and 2 together when he read the post here.
Maybe I should take my meds.

>To all the producers here: You can't do shit. I am an actual artist and going to change and mix shit with different samples etc to make not full songs, but whole albums that include bridges, intros, outros and many different technique's to approach the samples I find. To me it's disgusting how you wannabe artists come here, take three seconds from Rubycon for a loop and think you're the shit. You are nothing.

Does this man's autism know any bound?

No.

Put your engineer in a straight-jacket you fuckhead preset jockey. Come here and tell me that, I'll multiband compress your ass you punk preset jockey. You faggot. You can't sample me, you're not man enough. I'll remake your track from scratch, you bitch. C'mon anybody in here can't cheat like this. This is the ultimate, man. Fuck you, you ho. Come and say it to my face.... I'll ghost produce your song in front of everybody. You bitch.... come on, you bitch. You're scared coward, you're not skilled enough to fuck with me. You can't last two minutes in my studio, bitch. Look at you scared now, you ho.... scared like a little trap beatmaker. Scared of the real Music Maker. I'll remix you 'til you love phase cancellation, fuckhead!

patrician

Attached: 1544791630639.jpg (500x500, 99K)

>pediatrician*
sorry, autocorrect

So, I been using mixcraft 7 for 2 years now and I am really good with it and play piano, will I not be able to make music for indie vidya projects with it? If so, whats another music production program that's better for that stuff and is really easy to learn, FL studio made me realize what a brainlet I am.

Attached: MC_02_16_01-KcFam3UgAVTDT5Y2iVy1y2DIGai5l0Uv.jpg (1000x524, 432K)

this should be the next op

Any major DAW would be good.
Ableton and FL Studio are two of the most popular and are pretty easy to pirate.

Here's FL: (get it quick if you want it because it's gonna get removed soon)
And here's Ableton: You're not stupid for not understanding how DAWs work.
You just lack the needed information.
Just watch basic youtube tutorials to get the hang of them (search something like "fl studio 20 complete tutorial") and then learn the other stuff gradually.

If you want to produce music entirely "in the box", you'll need to learn a few different skills, and the fastest way I know is to read this book that goes over the foundations of those skills so you're not clueless about how things work:
www115.zippyshare.com/v/G7nuq1wh/file.html
It's a very famous book and it's the most recommended for this sort of thing.

Don't come to /prod/ for professional advice.

How do i get professional advice?

Ask a professional I guess. They're not here though.

>>/out/

Hi i am composer and producer of a kind of fusion music, please give me some feedback

vocaroo.com/i/s0AYcMVMDgZi

Attached: 1545420766737s.jpg (250x244, 4K)

>vocaroo.com/i/s0AYcMVMDgZi
Your bass sounds like farts and I can't listen to it because of that.

learn music theory if you can't do music by ear

i notice that, but i dont know how to fix it, any tips?

i really know theory

Keep at it, bud. It's pretty much a mess, it sounds out of tune, and the playing is all out of time, but there's potential here. Keep practicing, preferably with a metronome.

Please rate my autistic beat and I'll succ you. That's a promise.

clyp.it/2ksks5l1

Your farts sound like bass and I can't listen to it because of that.

>clyp.it/2ksks5l1

sounds like an unoriginal trap beat

You're lucky I'm horny.
Rimshot is too loud, I'd criticize you for using straight 808 samples but after a few seconds I got over it for the minimal aesthetic.
It needs a hard nigga spitting harsh violent verses, but it's a good bed for him to fuck on.

>did better than DeMarcus using only an 808 vst

Attached: 1546668445455.jpg (500x375, 31K)

has no sense of going anywhere, add a melody

Suggestion for an easy to use DAW? I don't want to do anything fancy and just want to make music as a hobby. I got an Impact LX25+ for Christmas I haven't used yet and I just want to use it for something simple. Thanks guys

>just want to make music as a hobby
said every piece of shit who comes here wasting our time. this is high IQ producing not djhero faggot

post your music high iq man

sorry I'm not an anonymous tryhard taking things a little too seriously on a austrian :^) clockbuilding :^) forum :^). I'm sorry. how many albums you have released? :^)))

You can get any of them for free, and there's shittons of videos of how to use them online, and they're all (at least the new ones) pretty user friendly because musicians are expected to be artistically gifted but otherwise stupid.

I'm actually signed, I'm better than all of you put together. Trust me you don't want none of this. Stay in yo lane!

post your music released on signed label hi iq man

keep making your fart sounds music with reaper. I'd sign all of you if your tracks were worth a shit.

Aw thanks m80.

Attached: 1550540385789.png (640x480, 132K)

lot of repressed homosexuality here. average blackedraw user

Do you have hands or did you just use your feet to smash a keyboard for this "track"?

Well I was a smartass with the title so I don't know what kind of answer I expected. Thank you user.

best part was the 30sec of silence at the end

instaud.io/3lx2
I don't use Reaper but how's this?

>didn't "Phase Correct" Frequency Splitting
But yeah, that's what your tracks sound like to me

ur full of shit

I uh, don't even know what that means.
I just ran a farty FM synth through a granular thing that smears and does feedback on the audio which I thought made it sound like a tile walled bathroom.

>that guitar loop 10 thousand times
gave me aids.

good, I hope you die slowly and painfully from pneumonia soon

go out in the rain, let's get you there

I rather die than hear that shitty guitar ever again

you probably think of yourself as a good person, but you're not

I know I'm shitty user, I fully expect to go to hell if such a place exists.

Attached: 1514254102598.gif (384x520, 43K)

>good person
yes I'm good at making music

>confirmed kiddie fiddler

let's hear it then, perhaps I can learn something from your work and improve my own

We're all the same souls being endlessly recycled, hence there are no kiddies to fiddle.

thought so

Attached: tumbleweed.jpg (2500x1667, 1.45M)

>let's hear it then
sure post my personal info on a website known for racists, cereal killers and reaper users.

Attached: dragonaurora_zhang_2241-5f00.jpg (540x777, 74K)

I'm downloading a portable version of flstudio hopefully I will be able to delight all of you with some good autistic crap from nearly a decade ago

Better try for over a decade, Party Rock Anthem was a decade ago.

Wish your kick was had a little more pop and less sustain, everytime it hits it just takes up tons of space.

actually I have enough mp3 material to flood this general but I really want to listen back to a fruity slayer rendition of buried by time and dust and it seems that I have to open the actual flp since the exported version is lost
here's a gem from 2010
instaud.io/3lxR

What kind of place mentally do you have to be in to make this? Asking for a friend.

based I like this kind of thing

I don't know but I think the title could be a good starting point for an answer
wouldn't be so bad if the kick wasn't raping the entire song

I gotchu famalamadingdong. Now with even 10% more autism
clyp.it/rzyq20yn

I'm still here

clyp.it/c5kv5cv4

Holy fuck this is the first and last video I watched of this guy. Is he autismo?

>mfw finding myself browsing this website a lot less and using my NEET time just practicing keyboard at an automatic rate
i-i'm gonna make it lads

Attached: 1467718077470.png (215x219, 76K)

Redpill me on the Novation Circuit. I'm thinking of getting it as my first hardware piece, then maybe expanding it with one of the Korg Volcas or a Monologue later on.

Attached: novationcircuit.jpg (275x183, 9K)

how does NIN get their sound? specifically pretty hate machine. What effects is he using on the synths and drums?

guys, guys! i was just going through an old hard drive and found a trove of all shit. this is a school project I did back in 2002. the memories come pouring back. it has some special moments if you can tolerate it at all.

clyp.it/gidnogcn

Attached: geeps_fr.png (261x195, 14K)

youtube.com/results?search_query=trent reznor talks synthesizer

it feels like an evanescence song if they were a band from early 80s rather than early 2000

We're still waiting for links my dude.

The biggest music producers in 2019 all do.

instaud.io/3lCk

Almost done with my track, I feel like I fucked up the mastering tho

let me know lmao

Attached: 70e63051904795.58fe3492afca5.jpg (1200x675, 828K)

whats up with the intense hate

Hey i really like this, but like the others said the Recording quality isnt the best, and your rhythm is not that good. Do you have a soundcloud/YouTube/whatever where i can follow your stuff?

hi, i notice that recording quality problem, but i dont know how to fix it, i have a bandcamp, but in there are only old things

Are there any resources that give examples of every scale/mode/etc? Hoping to expand my pallet and actually pin down what I'm hearing in my head.

please share whereever your gonna post your new stuff, im very interested in hearing it!

bimp

how exactly do you get that short 808 sound in new trap tracks like this open.spotify.com/track/32iPykTXUNZ9oGyACGUybq

i mean, I try just making a random 808 sample real short but i can't get it to sound the same just fucking with the envelope

Nice 30s movie detective feel

How do I produce my shit like PF and make it sound like PF?

Attached: 1544255176945s.jpg (125x101, 2K)

Thanks friend. It's Hey You by PF but with piany and strings.

How can I unshit this track? It's just a demo, but the volume issues are pissing me off.

>get home and see my woman's new bridge arrived
fuck yeah

Attached: Screenshot_24.jpg (440x740, 51K)

learn to mix and fill out the frequency spectrum. there's too little going on

your mom's going to love it

what happened user? you dont have a mother?

oh sorry me, i didnt see this was /prod/.

is there a snare equivalent of kick 2 by sonic acadamy?

yes

really?

What do you think bros, is it possible to produce an EDM track that follows the 12 bar blues progression but still has audience appeal?

yes

sure, theres a bunch of modern music that's 12 bar

>crushed-velvet.bandcamp.com/track/moors
Mix at low volumes in your DAW. The lower your levels in general more things will stand out in the mix.

youtube.com/watch?v=SqayDnQ2wmw

At 3:23. The pads are obviously choked very heavily in the upper mids. BUT then the bass comes in and it doesn't sound like it's JUST in the bass register 250hz. It also has alot of definition even tho it sounds like it has a lowpass filter. I can't tell if i'm hearing highs in the bass or not. How would you go about replicating that? How would I get that definition in the highs WITH a low pass. Would you just not use the synths filter and just EQ all the mids out wiht a notch/band? I feel like thats the only way seeing as the filter would cut out all the highs.

(or am I even hearing highs in the bass? Is all that definition coming from the percussion maybe?)

Attached: 57db0ab2077dcc7e128b61cb-750-350.png (750x350, 386K)

sounds like a korg bass with saturation applied. What's your question?

I think there's some sort of transient shaper on it. I'm wondering how to get such sharp attack and clear definition on the transient with a low pass filter. Seeing as the low pass filter, cuts out all the highs.

I don't see why it shouldn't be, give it a go and post up.

Attached: 12 bar blues.jpg (400x484, 29K)

>will pentatonic stuff appeal to normies?

uhhhh

So I'm dealing with something weird. I've been working on a track, bounced it, and was pretty damn happy with how it turned out. No errors or issues or whatever. Today though, I opened it in my DAW, and now I'm seeing red light indicators on my mixing board saying I'm clipping. I'm certainly not hearing anything, and I opened the file up in Audacity to get a second opinion, and it says I still have a little room above my head before I peak.

I know I slapped a limiter plugin on a few of my instruments before bouncing. Could there be something weird going on there?

I'll say this once, and only once.

SAMPLE VOLUME > TRACK FADER
Thats the chain order, bring down the volume of the samples first the less you touch your fader knobs the less problems you'll run into.

Your welcome, anyone who's mastering your stuff will love you, and if you're doing it yourself you will give yourself a handjob.

also one more thing: Take an eq on every single instrument and sample. And give it a tiny tiny tiny little low pass and a tiny tiny tiny tiny little high pass (So tiny that the human ear can't tell basically any frequency where there's no musical content). Those will increase headroom as well and clean everything up.

Typically what I do when I record a track is lower the instruments down as a first step, something like -6dB. Then I write and mix from there. I'm just confused right now because one DAW is saying I'm clipping while another is saying I'm not.

High passing everything can be a godsend but if you're too aggressive with it you'll just make everything sound tinny and thin

any way you could post the wav?

a great track stands the test of time. youtu.be/5aDWDt-xrbs

That's why you do it to strictly non musical frequencies. A cunt hair of high pass, so that when you turn the EQ on and off you can't even tell. The more you do it, the better you get at finding that threshhold (helps to have really good speakers and not hswhatevers or rokits)

god damn the past few threads have been especially shit

are you super new or have a limited experience with synths? just use an envelope to make the low pass "close up" with decay and no or little sustain.

it's nothing special, that sound just happens when people are precise with their envelopes- not all synths/filters are the same for this, there tends to be a sweet spot.

most likely no transient shaper, just a very snappy (not shit) envelope. compression might bring it out more, but not make the sound.

just because the end of the chain isn't peaking doesn't mean you didn't fuck up the gain in the middle

also intersample peaking

jfc nobody should be paying anybody to master who doesn't already know this, that's literally pissing money away

the hp/lp advice is genre dependent. telling this to a lo-fi indie head would be telling him to shoot himself in the foot man, this catch all advice is not always helpful

>spotify link
fugg
make your own 808s is the real answer

>pretty hate machine
the only distinct processing iirc was that the majority of the samples on that album would have been ran through his whatever emu sampler at some point. this really can't be repeated enough: The NIN sound isn't gear, it's a production mindset. Reznor's used every piece of gear you can name, but there's a reason he always sounds the same..... except the turbo synth guitars, that was *the* guitar sound apparently

>not namefagging
guys, this isn't samuel

please stop trolling

>non musical frequencies
those might be """aesthetic""" frequencies
low end below a fundamental, fizz and click of the attack etc- you might be able to discern this but telling noobs who can't is hurtful

Listened on my Creative 2.1 desktop set and AKG k240s
Nothing sticks out as a major issue to me, kick was a bit overpowering on the headphones but sounded fine on desktop.

>kick sounded fine on desktop.
wtf

sammy don't give mix advice to anybody

I know there are some pretty high peaks in there, but nothing's hitting the ceiling. I'm wondering though if it's this limiter I stuck on a few in the instruments hitting those highs that might be the problem. Maybe there are frequencies or something that hitting a brick wall and my other DAW is reading it as a clip.

I know there was no clipping when I initially bounced the track, but I went and leveled the volume up afterward, because as I mentioned before I lowered the volume from the writing stage.

Attached: 1526446817027.png (1766x570, 67K)

Is there any reason to keep stuff that's sub 10hz? I've been brickwalling my mixes there based on hearing this kind of advice. Should I drop that lower?

>those might be """aesthetic""" frequencies
>low end below a fundamental, fizz and click of the attack etc- you might be able to discern this but telling noobs who can't is hurtful

From what i've listened to in this thread, no one can sit there and pull apart what makes a good and bad transient. It's sound advice for people who want more headroom. Not everyone here wants to make autechres music.

>jfc nobody should be paying anybody to master who doesn't already know this, that's literally pissing money away

Don't give him information because he's bad? Jesus you're a real pretentious fuck, honestly. I'd like to hear some of your music, post a SC or clyp.

are u using audacity

>tfw I'm not Sammy
So should I just kill myself now? In my defense the volume knob on these speakers hasn't worked since I spilled Mountain Dew on it in the early 2000s.

Attached: 1542519054008.png (1800x1348, 369K)

My main DAW is Digital Performer, but I used Audacity as a second opinion here.

don't make fun of me :(
(yes 10 hz is fine lol)
shit even 30-40 is fine the majority of the time

>for people who want more headroom
and not everybody slams their master???

this isn't an idm thing or anything with extreme fuckery dude, this applies to the little indie guy who thinks he should highpass his acoustic guitars at 80hz and then wonders why nothing sounds "warm" or "full."

i don't see how the mastering thing is pretentious, i can see why you'd call me that for dissenting about highpassing but if you don't know what headroom is and send clipped shit there's no mastering engineer in the world who is going to fix that.

well where's the clyps and SC? I'm honestly excited to hear your music

awww user, who hurt you? :(

30hz is like the lowest that most club speakers will go. Even 40hz could be your min. There's a reason a lot of music is tuned to that nice E1 sub

literally not hurt, i'm just excited to hear your music you seem knowledgeable man! Would like to hear all this knowledge put into action :) So are you going to post it? or, why not?

I'm trying to visualize like a "Wind island" in a game, since I like vidya music and came up with these, which one do you like better, it changes up a bit around 1:10

vocaroo.com/i/s0LjeYGJPt3B

vocaroo.com/i/s178SGmyDXJP

why no post music? :(

these are really nice user, i prefer the second though

not everybody here is insecure enough to be taunted into a pointless argument by every dickhead that tries to start one dude, get a life

show us YOUR music user

oh don't encourage him -_-

Stop listening to
>HURR MAKE UR OWNNNN
that 808 is most likely from a zaytoven kit.

im trash, still learning not worthwhile its nothing special.
Is all knowing. And his music is probably totally not average, seeing how he carries himself.

I use maschine, fight me

remastered it. still pretty quiet in parts, but I think that makes it dreamy.

FINE, here's a little melody I've been working on all day.

instaud.io/3lLk

that's not me
do not believe

Attached: notme.png (900x265, 17K)

is that from a fart box?
youtu.be/F7qlc5EVydo

I cutoff 30 hz no matter the track. It's just eats up too much headroom for me to justify keeping it in the mix.

>The Drop
Anyone have a download link to this? I've been trying to find one but all the links I come across are dead or really old versions.

No, I wish I had one though.
>tfw no vindaloo mode

>boot up DAW
>compose midi drums
>change drums with bass to get fucked bass that sounds like random noise
>add effects, lottsa echo, reverb, distortion, amps, pedals, you name it, it's there
>add in other instruments
>add in more effects
>put effects on the master too, just for extra fun
>clipping is an issue easily fixed by turning the master down
>doesn't matter it should be loud
>put in tempo shifts varying from 1 to 1000
>effects get fucked and slow down the DAW during this
>more tempo shifting, key changes every few seconds, congo drum sample is playing a Bb chord
>record audio on phone
>delete it anyways, fuck it

>fuck it

stopped reading right there

PHM is mostly a Prophet VS and Oberheim Xpander sampled into an emax and down pitched. Drums are sampled from bunch of drum machines of that time, sp12, tr808, r100 to name a few

i didn't do shit today except put sampler presets together almost 100

Attached: 1500113848755.jpg (633x758, 157K)

well good because that was the end of the post

Should I just quickly and sloppily record all my songs so I don't have to keep worrying about trying to make them sound like they do in my head?

i'd say 50/50 as to whether it would turn out well or not- it could be good or it could be bad. mhmm

Hmm very true, a lot to consider

yeah otr that was honestly a dumb question to ask with no context

perfectionism is one thing, but just saying fuck it and recording something sammy tier isn't ever going to sound better than /bedroomcore/

sounds good but still needs to be mastered correctly

I just keep procrastinating by watching melody tutorials and never doing/learning anything. Send help lads.

Attached: 199933A6-11E8-4D47-8E2A-73BFD757DD34.png (633x758, 34K)

you have to want it to get it

a 23 minutes video teaches you a bunch of mic techniques on an entire band's instruments
youtu.be/4lfE1tZBfO4

if you're not learning stop watching them

what is the small diaphragm equivalent of the Rode NT2-A?

>mfw found out about the NT2-A and that it sounds better than my chinese LDC that is only cardoid and for 1/4 of the price

Attached: H76023000000000-00-500x500.jpg (500x500, 37K)

what the fuck are you talking about?

he's >implying that you don't actually care

if you wanted to do it you would actually try rather than watch videos you know aren't helping

oh nevermind, it's actually 2.6 times more expensive than the LDC i have. still, i'll start shopping for a SDC pair for me to start recording drums.

I FUCKING HATE MIXING. I FINISHED WRITING THE SONG. I JUST WANNA START ON THE NEXT ONE.

oh man didn't you know procrastination is a disease? it's just like addiction. i can't stop jerking off cause i have a disease. i'm a victim of my genes and you need to feel bad for me.

>tfw didnt buy a nice and shiny pair of MXL mics when starting out and now it's too late because im too much of a poorfag to own two LDCs when i need a pair of SDCs and a 57

Attached: Screenshot_28.jpg (137x197, 7K)

idk if you or the person you're parodying is the bigger faggot tbqhwyfam. probably you

you just described the process of making an album

write/arrange everything first
then mix
then master

Why cheaper condensers are exclusively cardoid??

fuck off with your wishful positive thinking

i bet you wouldn't say that to me on an islamic goat herding forum bitch

Attached: 1531860527897.png (563x542, 157K)

fine then i guess you're gonna have to pay up cuckboi

could i get some thoughts on the mix? happy with the arrangement but a newbie to mixing and unsure of how it sounds

instaud.io/3lN0

Attached: 1454792613053.jpg (500x376, 46K)

is it a good idea to try to record drums with a beta 58 copy and a cardioid LDC

not bad the only thing i got is the snare is quieter then it should be

Well I gave it a go, how the fuck do you arrange this stuff?

instaud.io/3lNa

[spoiler]I like mixing[/spoiler] but I'm bad at writing :(

>12 bar
wait you meant with a shuffle?
i mean the melody is decent enough but why

not really but if that's what you have to work with then???

i have these. I want to buy a sm57 but that's very dumb considering my finances and i'm better buying a SDC.

Attached: c95c930e-51d0-4b91-aa74-88ce08d0f3f3.jpg (720x1280, 131K)

vocaroo.com/i/s0Pmpbixwfxs

I think this is my best track i've made yet.
It's still rough but i'm still going to back and pretty it up.

Attached: dw.jpg (1920x1080, 232K)

Uhh I don't know, I just wiki'd "12 bar blues" and I did one of the patterns there.
What does "shuffle" mean in this context? I set the 16th note shuffle to 62%, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Attached: 1536798376433.jpg (514x350, 111K)

Yeah I guess I second the snare being a touch quiet, neat sample use.

>these are the people you share the music production subforum of a Cambodian watercolour family portrait image board with

Attached: eddie griffin disgusted.gif (108x163, 997K)

shuffle is like swing but a bit more swung i guess..basically a triplet feel

brainlets will argue this

oh wait you're sammy?
can you please go back to namefagging? I need to know which posts to ignore

>I set the 16th note shuffle to 62%
yes that's what i'm referring to
it's basically the triplet swing that default drums in blues/soul music use

obviously triplet swing is very different even in boom bap than in trap, but "shuffle" refers specifically to the beat from rock music.... so probably not appropriate.

the 8th note shuffle is the backbone of the 12 bar blues if i'm not mistaken

you are such a fucking moron.you reek of 3 year producer with 60 soundcloud plays. kys

What are you using for the horn samples?

>took busyworksbeats out of the pastebin over a year ago
>still gone
you're welcome, new friends

lmao don't flatter him

Just a muted trumpet and an alto sax that came with mixcraft 7 standard.

>That user who keeps writing out Yea Forums tier replies to himself to make fake arguments

Attached: 1533065298505.png (650x650, 11K)

cute post friend

yo this a real fuckin /yummy/ ass general nigga

clyp.it/c5kv5cv4

very cowboy bebop. You're probably the only one not making hip hop beats i've heard so far.

clyp.it/sfi5hspz

fell asleep like four times making this shit

youtube.com/watch?v=uQJboDs0Jtk

Rate my rap. Made the beat but my friend made the rap. We call it Roasties.

Attached: 1539698182547.png (354x286, 28K)

>you're welcome, new friends
Is he a bit shit? I'm subbed to him but I never actually watch his videos.

>busy works beats-ssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

fuck that guy.

How do I apply a de-esser to a person?

(Not him) There are various non hip hop beats even just in this thread:

Yo this nigga posting audacity

Attached: tenor (4).gif (498x278, 1.06M)

its not really gonna make a difference

YOU'RE GOING TO LAY THE PERFECT TRACK TODAY ANONS.

BELIEVE.

Attached: tumblr_n6cm5vc1Jl1tsp8ago1_500.jpg (500x487, 46K)

try B for this kind of post

What audio interface is better? Steinberg UR22 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

Attached: 1503437796786.jpg (264x191, 8K)

think of all the albums you like, can you imagine that they would have watched a guy like busyworksbeats to learn how to make music.

I've been writing a song in light of recent events, the chorus goes like:

A nigga called Sammy
A fool called Sammy
Acted like a tool and barebacked a tranny
A nigga called Sammy
A fag called Sammy
Barebacked a tranny now AID's not funny

Should I go for cowboy chords or a more reggae like feel, maybe ska???

i like it, reminds me of hey arnold

just eq everything and you're golden, harsh ass frequencies in there currently.

choro, brazilian folk music