/vinyl/

/vinyl/
This thread is for the discussion of vinyl, and vinyl only. Please do not post about your CDs or cassette tapes in this thread. Please keep memes, low-effort replies, and shitposting to a minimum. These threads are meant to be mature, in-depth discussions of the superior format, for true collectors and serious music fans. If somebody comes into this thread to slam vinyl, or buying physical media, ignore them. Do not give them any (you)s, and try to keep the thread on topic instead of arguing. Here are a few questions to get the discussion started.

>what kind of turntable do you have?
>do you mostly buy new or used records?
>what is your most valuable record?
>what have you purchased recently?
>how do you store/protect your records?

Feel free to discuss reissues, post pictures of your sound system, links to your discogs profile, or whatever else.

Attached: hipster-record-player.jpg (550x690, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!hgJnhQjK!2Qsk6SC74tKPCunCeAn0WA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

These threads are comfy as fuck.
Currently spinning a first UK pressing of "Juju" by Siouxsie & The Banshees on my Technics SL-1200 MKII.

Attached: IMG_20181121_234334.jpg (1701x1042, 812K)

I asked this in the last thread too, but I find it really interesting. Does anybody else check the deadwax on their records for messages?
I work at a record store, and I'm in charge of purchasing used music, so I'm constantly looking things up on Discogs. I've found some really interesting etchings.
This one is from an Eagles record. The A side says "DON'T WORRY..." and the B side says "NOTHING WILL BE OK!"

Attached: 20190108_143624.jpg (4128x2322, 2.47M)

Never thought to do this, but I'm going to start. What else have you found?

>physical media
Next time start your cringe thread with Time Machine Modulus

i don't collect vinyl nor do i have any interest in doing so, but i've always wondered if having to flip the record to the other side after music on one side ends is detrimental to the listening experience?

haha yeaaa.. only fags pay for music! *high fives you*

Thank you, gentlesir. Have some gold :)

Some early copies of Hotel California say "IS IT 6 O'CLOCK YET?"
I guess whoever was handling The Eagles records back in the day had a sense of humor.

>an old BALLER JVC component system
>used baby. only way to get up a respectable collection unless ur a trust fundie (im not)
>uhhh i have no idea, i dont look this stuff up
>bought records of clifford brown, grant green, jimmy smith/stanley turrentine collab
>keep em stored as bought, if they are old/ripped/banged up sleeves ill put em in plastic

Attached: 3546879851.jpg (1920x1280, 2.38M)

It actually proves you are paying attention, and you thus have a better listening experience.

I've got an Audio-Technica ATLP120 with all the default parts and pieces. Nothing beyond that and my computer's hard drive.

I've got several albums that never made it to digital formats that I'm looking to digitize optimally. This is particularly common among '80s Metal and Punk, but also for obscure Country and Jazz artists.

I've heard you can get good results without soldering off the internal phono preamp. Is any of this true or will I have to bite the bullet and do it?

If I can get an upgrade in sound quality without soldering anything off, what equipment do you recommend that's affordable?

If I must solder off the built-in phono preamp, what equipment will I need? What replacement parts do you recommend?

Will soldering off the preamp nullify my ability to record through Audacity with the USB cord? How does audio quality compare between the USB cord vs. phono preamp?

Also, needles and mats. Which needle works best with Metal and Punk albums? Is a cork mat better than a leather mat?

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

When it comes to cds i always buy used because they are cheaper, when it comes to vinyl I always buy new because they are cheaper

Some records are actually recorded with the vinyl format in mind, and incorporate it into the music in some way. I actually love flipping the record half way through.

and decent hand writing

What obscure jazz records do you have?

The Wall comes to mind.
>opening riff of the album begins to play at the end of side 4
>"Isn't this where..."
>*switch record*
>"...we came in?"

Attached: 1200x630bb.jpg (630x630, 67K)

I don't collect Jazz, but there's plenty of stuff from the Shellac era that never went digital. Likewise, probably a few Jazz albums from the 1950s that never went digital. Metal and Punk are my areas of focus with some Prog albums on the side.

What kind of inner sleeves do you guys use?

Almost always used. Only way to get any, quite really. Can't get any collectors items in mint condition

Whatever the LP came with

I usually keep the one that it came with, especially if it's unique, but I like to put my records in those thick paper sleeves with rice paper on the inside.

id love to have the space to add an extra sleeve to everything

>pro-ject debut carbon
>a lot of used, still find some thriftstore gems every now and then. Some new
>valuable to who?
>got an original pressing of adios amigos by the Ramones from Discogs.
>plastic inner/outer stored upright

How much space do you think that takes?

the stuff in my boxes are snug as it is

Buy a new crate. I just bought a new crate, and my records are so much easier to flip through now.

I just get shelving from ikea

bump

I'm picking up Drab Majesty and Ministry today.

Did anybody ever actually receive this in the mail?

Attached: 1550023762732.jpg (600x600, 50K)

>owns music

bump

Good album!

Possessions are a spook

What kind of receiver should I get?

I couldn't resist. I had to buy one.

Attached: 47691989_2021043648189100_982637763010120207_n.jpg (1080x1080, 110K)

Not him, but one of my Circle Takes The Square records says "PLAY LOUD..." on the A side "...AND DON'T LOOK BACK." on the B side

What kind of turntable is that?

Recently got my record player and stereo set up.

Onkyo CP 1020F
Sony STR VX250

Also got my favorite album, Ulver - Shadows of the Sun. Sounds excellent.

Attached: record setup.jpg (352x480, 36K)

What does Yea Forums think of 78s?

Attached: c.jpg (400x300, 68K)

You might find these purchases bland, but I wanted to hear these albums for the first time on on this format.

Attached: file.png (1206x494, 1.2M)

dat color

Someone convince me not to get into vinyl, please I’m begging you

I’m so close to buying my friends turntable and some Animal Collective records

Vinyl is a nice hobby
If you don't have the money to invest in a decent turntable and set up I wouldn't start.

>turntable
Technics SL-D2

>new? used?
about 50/50, i only shop in person so it depends what my local shops have

>valuable
id bet i own nothing worth over $100, but some have sentimental value beyond that

>recent pickup
napoleon dynamite soundtrack

>storage
ikea baby

>Someone convince me not to get into vinyl, please I’m begging you

New vinyl is rarely worth it, hopefully you live near some 2nd hand/thrift shops & if you buy a dud it's not a great loss, buy stuff from the vinyl era

just bought the new claypool lennon album cause of the crazy ass vinyl and cover, probably the first time ive bought a record for a band i dont give a fuck about

King Gizzard makes some pretty decent vinyls, just bought nonagon infinity

>vinyls

Attached: 20181002_190116.jpg (1076x695, 206K)

Is that not the plural? I'm a newfag to this stuff

No vinyl is plural. Say records if you must. But i love King Gizz too i really want Paper Mache & Oddments

Attached: 7f5cfaa2-551d-4773-b8c9-7976560b4181.jpg (960x1280, 183K)

Hard agree

Attached: 20190225_005249.jpg (4128x3096, 2.87M)

fucking based pat metheny bro

also john klemmer brazilia, based record. i bought it while traveling in new orleans.
abbey?

Whos abbey

How does Trout Mask sound on vinyl? Really want it but dunno if $50 is worth to mostly use for decoration

qt

I'm also curious. I was thinking about buying the latest reissue.

bump

>Technics LL-1200 Mk II and Technics SL-6
>Both
>See pic
>Curve - Cherry EP, Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool?, Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees EP, Melvins - Ozma, Breadwinner - The Burner
>See pic
>Record goes in MSFL Inner Sleeve behind Jacket inside of 3Mil Poly sleeve on Kallax shelving unit

Attached: Top 16 according to Discogs.jpg (1920x889, 398K)

I wanna get the White Album stereo remix, but why does it have to be so expensive? I don't wanna pay 40 bucks for the 2LP, but I don't wanna pay more than 10 for a beat up copy either (which is all I can find)

Glad they went for the original CD artwork on this reissue, always preferred that over the vinyl one

I agree

Attached: 20190225_122332.jpg (4160x3120, 3.03M)

My vinyl player makes loud background noise. Or it's the cable to the amp or something there. It's in a shitty unconfortable place, and it's not fully mine so I can't bring it down and figure this out making not minimal changes.
Fucckkk

Hey Guysi have been ripping vinyl for years i just bought a new project record master and did 32/192 of MAX Q (INXS) ! cant wait to do some proper DSD rips.

Attached: IMG_7372.jpg (3264x2448, 1.88M)

I uploaded it just for (You)

Tell me what you think. Rate my Rip

mega.nz/#F!hgJnhQjK!2Qsk6SC74tKPCunCeAn0WA

Attached: IMG_7373.jpg (2448x3264, 2.33M)

Side A reads "WHO IS JJX?"
Side B reads "KEEP LISTENING - KEEP JAMMING"

The album is A Big 10-8 Place by Negativland.

forgot image

Attached: Screenshot_20190225-064144_Gallery.jpg (1280x720, 527K)

I got mine, the pink pressing. I never opened it though, I feel like I should sell it

>hopefully you live near some 2nd hand/thrift shops
this
I work across the road from a thrift store and still manage to dig out some amazing shit.

>meme grips

Kill yourself.

In what world is Captain Beefhart, Nico & VU, Talking Heads and Zappa _bland_

Picking up an AT120 tomorrow. Super excited, being using a pretty run down Akai D210 for a while, so will be nice to have some quality. Anyone have this turn table? Would I be making a mistake by getting it?

in my opinion, yes

Unless the Akai has some mechanical problems, I wouldn't buy the AT120. It's not a significant upgrade. You're better off spending on a nice cart/stylus (Audio Technica VM540ml is ~$250USD), or more records.

just copped

Attached: index.jpg (389x292, 17K)

Nice!

>lp60
>mixed
>original the wall by pink floyd
>government plates death grips
>book case

>LP60
>Whatever I find interesting, could be old or new
>I have the original album art for 'The Man Who Sold The World' and an original DSOTM
>No Somos Marineros- Lomas Verdes and Silent Hill OST
>Plastic sleeves and shelf

Didn't mean to reply to your post buddy, sorry
but also forgot I owned an original Animals by Pink Floyd too

Where did you find it? They're sold out on Bandcamp.

bump

>Sony ps-lx22
>combo of both, more used though
>got a few, the original pressing of duster - stratosphere, TMV - deloused, 2814 - birth..., TMV- frances
>health - vol 4, preoccupations - s/t, savages - silence yourself, them are us too - amends, brotzmann & limbers-holm - ouroboros
>have the ikea thing, if I get a used record and it has a sleeve I use it, but I never buy them for new records

I got a second one by accident, kinda want to sell it, even got the lame poster.

I got all three of mine.

I have a Marantz 2226 Stereo Receiver.

i have that zappa 1, could of sworn its black with white lettering

Could be a different pressing. It's not uncommon for different pressings to change fonts.

This is a good thread. I'll post my recent pickups when I get home from work.

yeah, checked it out mines the euro version

I have a denon avr-1802, I like it
This is cool, these things can sound great

>what kind of turntable do you have?
Pro-Ject essential II. Nothing fancy but it works and sounds great.
Mix of both, if I can find an original for a good price i always do that, but a lot of records I love are way pricier for an older pressing. Also I try not to buy anything i know was recorded or mastered digitally on vinyl, no point in spending twice as much money on what's essentially a big CD.
>what is your most valuable record?
Gold Music on Vinyl pressing of The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
>what have you purchased recently?
Last record I bought was Stereolab - Switched On
>how do you store/protect your records?
All on my shelf, all in plastic outer sleeves, sorted alphabetically by band/last name, year of release.

good taste senpai

Attached: Photo 2019-02-25, 18 11 39.jpg (4032x3024, 2.48M)

How did you get it all suspended from the ceiling user? That’s cool

glue and rope bro also mad skills

bump

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I plan on starting a vinyl collection. What do i need to know?

Attached: 1547261877487.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

store them vertically, brush them off with a anti-static record brush when they get dusty, if you open the shrink-wrap carefully you can reuse it as a sleeve

Dont its all online now in DSD 5.6 megahertz ripped from turntables more expensive than your car.

Just Buy a cheap chink DSD DAP like the Zishan and enjoy all that analogue goodness without the TERRIBLE PAIN WE WENT THROUGH

Attached: 255414e9-f8a0-493b-91bb-40a3a5962945.jpg (1218x771, 203K)

sounds like you got a good collection

>turntable(s)
Music Hall MMF-5
Yamaha P350
Dual 1019

>new or used
Both

>recent purchase
Not much recently, last one was Planetarium

>storage
Mostly ikea, a few crates also

bump

>turntable

Thorens MD115 MKII with a Grado Gold 2 cartridge

>most expensive record

I bought a Greatful Dead - Without a Net record where the labels have 4 lines of text next to the spindle hole which somehow makes it worth 140$ on discogs. Most likely a moon price but yeah idc about it anyway lel

My needle on my Technics SL-1200 MKII sits crooked. How can I fix this?
My left speaker cuts in and out, unless my receiver is set to mono. It works perfectly in mono, which means the speaker itself isnt defective. I've tried re-wiring everything else.
Is it possible that my crooked ass needle is only reading the grooves on the right side of the valley? The needle does tilt towards the right. Is that what's causing the left channel to cut out?

Attached: crooked needle.jpg (4128x2322, 2.67M)

TD115 i meant. Too late in the night

Bland as in they are talked about a lot on Yea Forums.

I bought it for 20 dollars, I'm pretty sure it's a more recent issue.

Does the head shell have an azimuth adjustment screw, like this?

Attached: azimuth adjustment screw.jpg (290x200, 9K)

One of the best carts I’ve found for metal/rock is the Shure m97xe, unfortunately it’s been discontinued but you can find them new on eBay. Removing the built in preamp is pretty easy, just need to find the leads from the tonearm and connect them to some decent RCA jacks or cable. Make sure to keep the ground to go to the preamp so you don’t get any buzzing. I removed the preamp from a Pro-ject deck that had fried and it was simple. For a preamp I can’t recommed the NAD PP2 enough, the sound is amazing and once again they aren’t expensive on eBay.

Attached: 7CE47573-ED85-4035-AEBC-D0BF000F89C5.jpg (368x368, 22K)

No, but the actual tone arm has two small screws on the bottom side, where the headshell connects. Maybe those have something to do with it?

Is the tonearm itself crooked? From the pic it looks like it’s rotated at the balance end or something.

There's 3 points the azimuth could likely be screwed up at: the head shell, the head shell collar (those two screws under the front of the tonearm), or the whole tonearm tube (two screws under the rear of the tonearm tube).

Thanks for the info, user. I'll try to straighten it up and see if the left channel improves.

>the superior format
BIG KEK

Good example is metal machine music, the needle actually locks into the record and plays the same loop forever (or until you turn it off). On digital this is completely impossible to do.

Thanks for the info. Would soldering off the preamp nullify the ability to use the USB cable or does it have no effect?

As much as I dislike Jack White, that ultra LP pressing of Lazaretto is pretty cool.

Do you have to remove the preamp or is there a way to do it externally and disable the built-in preamp? Is it worth it in the interim to switch it off and run into an external preamp?

bump

>Sleep Live at Third Man album in a few weeks
my body is so fucking ready

Attached: 25659506_1733694093367219_67394727046077271_n.png (595x452, 493K)