/jazz/ general - smokey dive bar edition

let's show /classical/ what we got. post it all! recs/vids/links/bantz etc etc

Attached: 3216549879.jpg (1024x768, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GBEoGayL2mM
youtu.be/8cnl7wF8YCI
youtube.com/watch?v=qTYzYpb1MY0
vocaroo.com/i/s07h1e8nmLql
youtube.com/watch?v=QQ9TQrdD4Ac
youtube.com/watch?v=f6dUH2JnN04
youtube.com/watch?v=feNz-vgOSgA
youtu.be/MzjvqxdICo8
youtu.be/NWYWgda5f0I
youtu.be/CB_lAV8ItRwP
youtube.com/watch?v=pG8L1UCqKq4
youtu.be/CiK0GfJRz2U
youtube.com/watch?v=uIkekMoEQY4
youtube.com/watch?v=GIgLt7LAZF0
youtube.com/watch?v=OhNQCT6myRw
youtu.be/wUNCO-Imlcw
youtu.be/JrfX2gYUOk0
youtube.com/watch?v=z9yb3LKB1Tc
bwmusic.com/goodies/range0.html
youtube.com/watch?v=EcOnhR5zkXs
youtube.com/watch?v=_msXv1eLyug
youtube.com/watch?v=_vVHT-wSLik
youtube.com/watch?v=yvhmg1lvnx0
youtube.com/watch?v=Fhe6cW3ho_s
youtube.com/watch?v=q4JWqK6r6N4&ab_channel=TheSnapshotsFoundation
youtu.be/HsGee9zUPdY
youtu.be/BNST_xmc8Vo
youtube.com/watch?v=yufUOb0jDuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YluXzGtjCdU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Cannonball Adderley - The Other Side (Live)
youtu.be/GBEoGayL2mM

2nd for blue note label

Attached: 71oRngE0eUL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 26K)

Me nigger now

Joe henderson with sick latin polyrhythms

youtu.be/8cnl7wF8YCI

No tourist shit

Attached: 1550887194338.png (3000x3000, 620K)

time to fuck up your ears
youtube.com/watch?v=qTYzYpb1MY0

What is the latest development in Jazz. What does Jazz sound like in 2019?

here's a random smattering of stuff from the last year

Attached: randojazz.png (2184x650, 670K)

Pretty damn good

Attached: B38F3EB7-AB28-403B-8542-8C743AF59E2C.jpg (250x250, 22K)

is jazz the single most influenced genre by drugz?

Attached: download.jpg (520x729, 149K)

Okay which one is most unique tho?

Probably one lf the earliest. Just about every jazz player smoked weed and a handful were doing heroin. But the most drug influenced would be stoner metal or psych rock, easily. Jazz is influenced largely by politics

Recommend some jazz with flute please.
I already listened to the suite by Claude Bolling.

Nirvana is the only Mann record I’ve heard, pretty sure he has a hefty catalog. Looking Ahead by Dolphy is also pretty good

Holy shit fellas the legends about criss cross jazz are true

Attached: _...It Was Beauty_ (feat. Alex Claffy, Ben Wolfe, Donald Edwards, Eric Revis & Luques Curtis).jp (600x600, 60K)

I was just expecting the whole song to be modulated instead of it just staying on C. This is fucking hilarious.

new blindfold edition when?

Can somebody teach me how to use Mega? I would love to do one but I don't know how to make the files ''secret''. Do I just need to change the file information or what?

As far as I'm aware you only need to share a folder, I don't think there is a secret type setting but you may want to test for yourself

that they have garbage album art?

Hi - Really hoping someone knows this tune that I'm whistling. It's a jazz piece that was popular in the 90's and it played on a smooth jazz station in my area.

>*** LOWER YOUR VOLUME AS I AM WHISTLING ***

It was an instrumental jazz piece with saxophone.

>inb4 autism spectrum related replies

youtube.com/watch?v=QQ9TQrdD4Ac

I like Lateef's flute oriented pieces.

youtube.com/watch?v=f6dUH2JnN04

youtube.com/watch?v=feNz-vgOSgA

JESUS FUCKIN' CHRIST

Attached: 1551039584626.jpg (960x940, 322K)

ikr

3 scotches in alone at the smokey bar jazz right here
youtu.be/MzjvqxdICo8

I feel like shit and am listening to Kind of Blue because I just want to listen to something I know is great.

This fuckin' sucks lol

The covers are just pleb filter to weed out people who care more about image than music.

Attached: 00881E36-A3B4-472B-9957-84F3F6342E9B.jpg (466x470, 45K)

Oh God I’m dying

whos got the name of this amazing jazz masterpiece

Attached: 1550135542343.png (785x847, 287K)

youtu.be/NWYWgda5f0I

Feels good to be able to understand and play standards fellas, jazz suddenly doesn't seem that hard structurally. Feels like my finger chops and shallow understanding of harmony are the only things that limit my song choices nowadays

What does Classical music sound like in 2019?
Come on, surely you can see why that's a silly question? Obviously it's expanded in multiple different directions and subgenres. If you're out of touch with modern Jazz, you're going to have a lot more luck discovering more if you actually give an indication of your tastes and the kinds of stuff you might be looking for, rather than just asking what's new in Jazz, being unwilling to listen through a collection of 10 albums that someone links you to, and telling the person who links you a single album that it's shit, without any qualification about what you do or don't like about it.

How do you expect anybody to realistically help you here? Just throw individual albums at you one at a time until we happen to stumble across the kinds of things you enjoy?

If not your 'finger chops' and understanding of harmony, what was it that was holding you back before?

Does /jazz/ like Midori?

Attached: 21C2E6FB-FF2E-40DE-A9F7-2C8FCD5ACC93.jpg (253x253, 14K)

Sure, but they're not really relevant to this thread, are they?

im sorry but hardbop is bad modal jazz
art blakey is dope tho

youtu.be/CB_lAV8ItRwP

Never herd of criss cross. Whats worth listening to?

youtube.com/watch?v=pG8L1UCqKq4

Give me your favorite alto players, Yea Forums

pic related is one my favs from last year

Attached: 6797975.jpg (1200x1200, 330K)

I simply meant what is the newest sound, fren.

Attached: 1482562638449.png (556x430, 81K)

Also, I can tell you want classical music sounds in 2019: absolute shite!

Attached: angery.jpg (208x242, 5K)

Attached: 220px-Stitt_Plays_Bird.jpg (220x226, 31K)

criss cross is kind of a meme here now because of jtg's obsession with the label but some of their shit is actually really good.

personal favorites are today's opinion by yosvany terry and most of david binney's albums for criss cross.

Attached: :criss cross: pill.jpg (1772x1772, 613K)

Does jazz like "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" from Charles Mingus have a sub-genre? Like that slow jazz with kind of noir feeling or something? Some other exemples would be Coleman Hawkins "Out of Nowhere" and Taxi Driver main theme. Feels kinda cringy to ask that, but there is no better feeling than listening to these kinds of jazz while smoking a cig at night. Also, if anyone can help me identify if these are Saxophones (and if it is, is it Alto or Tenor?) or Trumpets?
Anyway, I'm just getting into jazz and that's the songs that got me interested in it in the first place, but any recommendations are very welcome.

>this guy
you are the most unique, bro

Don’t know about the genre thing but this might interest you
youtu.be/CiK0GfJRz2U

who the fuck is jtg and why should I care about his shilling?

this one is not a meme. Actually worth listening to.

Yeah, I like it so far, but I don't like too much how acute the saxophone sounds in the beginning. But you get what I am talking about. These long saxophone notes and stuff...
youtube.com/watch?v=uIkekMoEQY4
youtube.com/watch?v=GIgLt7LAZF0
these are also good exemples, I guess

thanks fren!

Attached: 1543781619061.png (657x527, 27K)

Gecko Plex - Jerry Bergonzi
Album: Tenorist

Thats really good. Is that a tenor saxophone? I really hate that tenor sax are really expensive, but it looks like its the sonority I like the most. I don't usually like when it goes too acute, for some reason.

“Theme for lester young” is pretty similar imo

There are some parts that are just the same, but more fast paced in the one you posted, right? Amazing song too.

There really isn't a sub-genre that resembles more these kinds of jazz? I mean, these songs really have their own mood, there should be something to help people find similar songs.

This is really nice too
youtube.com/watch?v=OhNQCT6myRw

Try these too
youtu.be/wUNCO-Imlcw
youtu.be/JrfX2gYUOk0

some tripfag that used to post here

yes, its a tenor.
sax in jazz runs commonly through 4 ranges similar to the four melodic choral voices
Soprano: high notes similar to the clarinet (My favorite things- John Coltrane) Bb3 to F#6

Alto: Db3 to A5 (Donna Lee by Charlie Parker)

Tenor: the one you've heard

baritone: C2 to A4 (Pepper Adams' Billie's Bounce live version)

I like that, but the first song brings me some different feeling. The second one is more spot on on what I was thinking for some reason.
Also, I can't stop thinking that the first song is going to be sampled for a trance festival music or something lol

Can anyone give some recs? This is pretty vague, but looking for something of the piano/smooth/vocal type. Recently got into basics like Ryo Fukui, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Mari Nakamoto, and Bill Evans.

Will save your reply to kind of "study" it when I get some time. But thanks a lot for the insight.

Do you know about trumpets too? Or that smaller and more round trumpets are the same trumpets as the classic looking one?

Can a trumpet play anything a sax can play, and vice versa (obviously I don't expect them to sound the same, but I've never found a Taxi Driver Theme cover being played on a trumpet, for exemple)? Like, can "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" be played on a trumpet and resemble the sax version?

sorry, dude. I'm really a guitarist/pianist. I know that much about saxes cuz I've played with some of them blowers. All I know about trumpets is that they are effin' loud and apparently trumpetists are prone to racket lmao

Well Jarrett was already sampled by Nicolas Jaar so that wouldn’t surprise me. Just one thing, and I really don’t mean to be off-putting or anything, but if you’re talking about an instrumental piece it’s better to call it just piece instead of song. After all no one is singing

The smaller trumpet is a cornet, I believe. They can probably play sax parts, but iirc they have a comparatively shitty range

*racketeering

;^)
youtube.com/watch?v=z9yb3LKB1Tc

There ya go about ranges
bwmusic.com/goodies/range0.html
Just consider that the two “trumpets” commonly used in jazz are the trumpet and the trombone

youtube.com/watch?v=EcOnhR5zkXs
youtube.com/watch?v=_msXv1eLyug

youtube.com/watch?v=_vVHT-wSLik

Listened to this for the first time today. I like the grooves on this, even though the bass is played on the organ so its not as interesting as it could be

Serious Question: Whos the best drummer? Elvin Jones or Tony Williams? Or are those both pleb choices?

as opposed to...other albums posted here in good faith that you'd consider a meme? fug off m8

youtube.com/watch?v=yvhmg1lvnx0
One of my favorite songs. The interplay and that guitar solo is just all so great together

>in good faith
hi, newfriend :^)

Joe goes off on this

I'm listening to unseen universe right now. The solos are way more out there than the head would suggest

Yeah, np. Thanks anyway.
Not off-putting at all. English isn't my native language, so I'm not so sure about what word to use sometimes. Good to know that I should call it piece instead of song. And now that I am thinking a little about the word itself
>no singing
>"song"
really makes sense not to call it like that haha.
Thanks, link saved. And yeah, I think all of pic related "are the same", right? It doesn't matter if it is that way, or the classic looking way, right?
Saxophone Colossus is one of the first jazz albums I've ever heard. Really nice.
Didn't know the Kenny Dorham's piece. I really like it too.

I'm adding all these recommendations to a list. Thanks, everybody. What a nice board.

Attached: images (1).jpg (180x279, 10K)

Dorham is great. For some reason I’m more fascinated by the rhythm section than the lead for most jazz though

Attached: 11B27AE9-2F4F-41C9-836C-8C0CB3933014.jpg (355x355, 19K)

The realization that chord progressions/cycles is the main key to almost every standards lol, then modulations, substitutions, and knowledges of chord types come after that

I come from rock and thrash metal backgrounds so first things that used to come to my mind are mostly "what key a song is in", "what kind of scales used for that key", and what kind of "chord sets" used for that scale/key

>Thanks, link saved. And yeah, I think all of pic related "are the same", right? It doesn't matter if it is that way, or the classic looking way, right?
I’m not sure what you mean by this, but to answer directly your question about ranges in your previous post, the range of a trumpet is in between that of a soprano and an alto saxophone, while that of a trombone is in between that of a tenor and a bass saxophone

youtube.com/watch?v=Fhe6cW3ho_s

dolphy really getting it on this track

You mean the drums and bass kind of "base"? I find that really understandable if its the case. Jazz drums is just amazing most of the time, and the bass really stand out in some pieces to me.
Maybe I am too much of a layman and may be talking something that makes no sense, but the Alto Sax and the Trumpet are almost aligned. Does that mean that both can reach the same tones (idk if tone is the right term to use, excuse my ignorance)? Like, to me it looks like the trumpet can get a little more low-pitched, while the alto sax can get a little more high-pitched in tone (now I reeeally don't know if these are the right words, but I hope you can get what I'm trying to say). If I am right, does that mean they can play the same pieces and sound kinda like each other in tone, and thus in "mood"? I know that the sax will alway be more "articulated" because of all the "buttons" and stuff, while the trumpet is more limited with the 3 valves

Yes they almost have the same range

try some chet baker then some bill evans

ZOOT SIMS

jazz: folks, it's good

The "mood" part sounded dumb the moment I read it the second time, there should be much more elements to it than just that. Anyway, the range chart and explanation you posted really made how things are a little bit more clear to me. Thanks.
I really like Chet Baker, except when he sings (then I understand why they broke his teeth) and will check out Bill Evans.

>when dolphy is soloing and his band mates exchange glances and smirk

LMAO literally had to remove his mic cuz he would've been at it all night

fuck it i would've listened to him all night

>captain beefheart on vocals is all that’s missing
Why do I even read youtube comments anymore?

this is great, thanks for shaking.

anyone know what song this is being whistled?

is it a ballad?

Tony Williams.

You’re all sleeping on this. The version of Airegin on Jerry’s is absolutely smoking. Intense alto playing that ventures on out. Aggressive drumming

Attached: 39B4F2CC-CDC2-4FD8-9AF1-8602BFE0C5CA.jpg (807x793, 150K)

it's a smooth jazz piece that was popular in the 90s... can't seem to figure out who it's done by. The entire thing is instrumental and done by Sax and it sorta reminds me of George Benson but I don't *think* he's done it. The song will sound exactly like the way I whistled once anyone finds it.

Here. Not Jerry’s lol

Yes
Conrad Herwig is possibly the best jazz musician in the business right now, but really anything on their label is good; it's all picked by the same dude so if your taste matches with him you're golden.

And my point is that there isn't one 'newest sound', there are multiple.

Alright.

Fair enough, I suppose. You don't classify that as understanding of harmony, though?

Bohren & der Club of Gore

>"what key a song is in", "what kind of scales used for that key", and what kind of "chord sets"
Yes this does show my understanding of basic music harmony, however in jazz, key signature, scales, and chord sets (default I,ii,iii,IV,V,vi,vii in a certain given key/scale) in my opinion shouldn't be the first things people think in playing any jazz songs compared to these
>chord progressions/cycles is the main key to almost every standards, then modulations, substitutions, and knowledges of chord types

Rather than making things complicated, just watch this video of Carol Kaye from 17:45 - 25:00. This really sums up the basics of what I mean (and that was indeed my favorite jazz 101 videos lol, I really recommend it to any absolute jazz beginner). It was also the first video that taught me the differences between mindset of harmony in jazz compared to rock. Everything I said in my post is basically just expanding what's there. I hope this makes sense enough
youtube.com/watch?v=q4JWqK6r6N4&ab_channel=TheSnapshotsFoundation

give me a better tenor sax album.
protip: you cannot

Attached: 2284388.jpg (600x600, 61K)

my dude, you've posted a gem. Thank you

youtu.be/HsGee9zUPdY

I’m curious about this as well, it sounds familiar but I can’t remember where I heard it

Elvin Jones is the greatest and most dynamic drummer of all time. jazz or otherwise.

POST MONDAY JAZZ TUNES FRENS

Attached: 1550967650974.jpg (450x300, 72K)

here you go, user.

Attached: 6458812.jpg (900x900, 133K)

youtu.be/BNST_xmc8Vo

youtube.com/watch?v=yufUOb0jDuQ

I've been in love with Moriyama for awhile now. It's a really nice way to spend the morning.

youtube.com/watch?v=YluXzGtjCdU

jazz that even classical fans can appreciate

What is /jazz/'s opinion of fusion such as music by the Brecker brothers, Bill Evans (sax), etc?

:)

Attached: jazz guitar chart.png (2968x1183, 3.83M)

not something Mega does for you - just do it manually for the files, also if you don't pitch shift a bit with something like Audacity many music players will automatically try to identify the files, so I'd usually pitch shift by a few percent

this thread must live! live damn it!

Really good recommendation. Spot on, my dude. Thanks a lot.
Bump

Here's a really fun album I think you guys should give a spin, Lionel Loueke is a fantastic guitarrist, and there's a really nice and unusual mix of West African folk guitar traditions, Hungarian folk music, and of couse jazz.

Attached: pannonblue.jpg (522x461, 33K)

Anybody here into John Escreet? He’s fucking ridiculous.

Attached: 4DD921E1-BCC4-45E6-8B2E-5AB2C8F700A6.jpg (1024x682, 178K)

havent heard of him! gotta entry album to rec?

np, piano nights is my favorite.

Fusion is a'ight. Don't listen to Wynton. You can skip Pat Metheny tho....

much better than all the Euro crap

what are some other great crossover albums like pic related?

Attached: Moneyjungle.jpg (220x220, 17K)

Exception to the rule

Every day I’m thankful that the mediocrity of ECM’s influence was not able to tame ornette Colman on this fantastic album

Attached: 199FC613-5F33-46D3-BC81-4F18CFF972F0.jpg (800x800, 145K)

Wouldn't listen tbqhwym8. 3 of those 5 names suck big time

I like swing

damn son. will check tn

So does Coltrane changes mean that I basically change/modulate the tonal center a major third apart to develop a section/part? For example if we have a 4 bar C chord in C key

>Using Coltrane Changes, it becomes
C|C|C|C becomes
C|E|Ab|C

>If we expand it using both V7-I and Coltrane changes at the same time, it becomes
C|C|C|C becomes
G7 C|B7 E|Eb7 Ab|G7 C

Am I getting this right?

not really but yeah

Attached: IMG_20190225_203112.jpg (1920x745, 783K)