I wasn't alive in the 90s, was Bjork super popular and a household name or was she pretty obscure?

I wasn't alive in the 90s, was Bjork super popular and a household name or was she pretty obscure?

Attached: file.png (600x600, 830K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KDbPYoaAiyc
dailymotion.com/video/xkkg5u
vimeo.com/210010156
youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2_q-TLHBQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1-GxX8ELnCw
youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not old enough to remember how much of a household name she was, but she was huge from her very first album. Pretty sure she was always a novelty.

she's ugly

Attached: 201809122055123012758145000.500x0.jpg (500x667, 122K)

she was basically Gotye

What year were you born OP? 97 here and I dont remember anything from my childhood about her.

She got popular during Dancer in the Dark/Vespertine

It's a coincidence that Scaruffo immediately went to "she is one of the best songwriters of her times" to "every time you turn on to bjork she is trivial and boring" when that happened. It's also a coincidence that he shoehorned his beatles rant for no reason because scaruffi was desperate for attention

she was pretty well known around 2000

also to people that didnt know her music, due to the swan dress and dancer in the dark

i didn't like her music as a kid/teen back then, but my mom did

Even my dad knows about her and he's 50 years old living in a third world country.

I was born in 96 and the only vague trivia I ever knew of her before getting into music recently was pic related.

Attached: file.png (480x360, 384K)

>wasn't alive in the 90s
>born in 96
There's something very fishy going on here, very fishy indeed.

Attached: 1550958483665.jpg (243x337, 24K)

i remember MTV playing her videos a lot in the 90s. probably wouldnt have called her a megastar or anything

youtube.com/watch?v=KDbPYoaAiyc
i mostly remember seeing this one a lot. shit used to creep me out as a kid

>creeped me out as a kid
It's the definition of comfy, it's peak comfy. The cottage, the dense forest, the animals trotting about, Bjork's clothing, soaring through the sky, and so on. Fuck it's so good.

Attached: 1550691265084.jpg (500x645, 66K)

It’s oh so quiet was a popular meme song in the U.K. at least. Child me was aware of her from that.

not him, but you aren't really alive and sentient until you're at least 6, so he's technically right

I saw some of her videos on TV but she wasn't a household name really. For some reason I remember Peter Gabriel being huge in the 90s with Steam, that video is burned into my mind because of how much play it had.

Goddamn I'm feeling the nostalgia now.

If you're into vore maybe, that bear is creepy as. You're right about the rest though.

She was played on MTV but considered alternative, so comparable to Lorde.

Anybody who gets music videos for their songs is pretty mainstream d e s u

but are any of us really alive?

Attached: cf44f55d7cd8866e4f0360f54c33fa89.jpg (421x600, 41K)

People only knew of her as "that chick who wore a swan dress" and "that chick who sings like a dying cat".

were the sugarcubes mainstream? they were musical guests on SNL in the 80s so they mustve been somewhat popular in the US

both performances here:
dailymotion.com/video/xkkg5u
vimeo.com/210010156

Why was the swan dress a big deal? I don't get it.

i love her so much

Big think

Where do we find meaning, motivation, and purpose? From within or from nature?

Attached: 1550249278009.jpg (686x477, 33K)

I was

but the within is also a naturally occurring thing

Attached: 1005-primary-0-nativeres.jpg (318x400, 22K)

What happened user

yeah 6 or 7 is def the earliest i can remember. what bullshit, its like we're robbed of 7 years of our life cuz we dont even remember it!

youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2_q-TLHBQ
young sugarcubes bjork was freakin adorable

My first exposure to Bjork was around 1998 or 1999 when the I Miss You video played on either MTV or VH1

She was fairly well known

Oldfag in the US here. Her most popular time in the 90's was during Post after some a decent amount of hype she got for Debut. It's Oh So Quiet was in regular rotation on MTV. She was still pretty niche but at least most normie teenagers had at least heard her once or twice by then, and she got a decently big cult following with older teens and college aged kids. If you had a weird or artsy older sister in the early 90's she probably listened to Bjork, Tori Amos, and PJ Harvey.
Army of Me was a big cult hit that got a lot of guys(males) into her and then she got some actual proper cred, but mostly she was still spectacle tier for most normies.

Unironically her most visible time in American culture was when she wore a swan dress to the Oscars and everyone seemed to be really surprised that her performance was actually good since most people had only heard of her as some whackjob. Her 90's output doesn't even seem that odd anymore with everything else we've haf since.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1-GxX8ELnCw

If God is nature, and all things encompassing, surely that means we are God too.

Attached: 1547657136886.gif (300x225, 3.89M)

its bizarre so like at 6 or 7 years old doesn that mean we have no memories at all past like a week ago? being a kid was weird

>she probably listened to Bjork, Tori Amos, and PJ Harvey.
based qt trio

Attached: 1994-05_Q-3.jpg (2000x1331, 274K)

manic pixie girl era bjork was the best bjork by far
i never listened to pj harvey and the only reason why i know her is because vicent gallo dated her, which i find hilarious. i love vincent gallo but i know he's a jerk so he probably treated her like shit which she probably loved

Attached: 04bbc27fbd019cc7fa9051a31cf91c94.jpg (515x686, 62K)

I was super into her in college in the mid 90s. Her electronic stuff on Post and Homogenic made a big splash in certain scenes. Army of Me and Hunter were huge. But as far as main stream, it wasn't until Dancer and the Dark and her famous swan dress that people took notice of her, but in a negative way. She did win the Palm d'Or in Cannes, but the academy wasn't impressed. I blame Lars von Trier rather than Bjork's acting... it was an excellent film with sublime acting (she upstaged Catherine Denueve without effort!). But there was a certain amount of anti-American 50s culture bashing in the film that got a negative vibe... then the swan dress happened. Oooops. She should have had the Oscar for best actress in a fair world, even a bigger snub than Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth IMHO.

But it didn't really help her music career in the US... she was still considered "weird." I love Björk and am pretty sure she doesn't care what Americans think about her. She's a true artist.

Attached: Bjork Swan.jpg (1500x1000, 324K)

It’s so odd to me the anti-American bashing in the film gets a negative vibe in 2000, while anti-Americanism has generally been embraced, accepted, and promoted for the past 10 years.

Not trying to make a political statement, just crazy how quick things change

Fuck I'd give anything to listen to her discog for the first time again.

Attached: d2fac1161477da5ff675586887f5c130--pictures-of-music-oakley-sunglasses.jpg (236x342, 13K)

Times change... and I guess Americans can American bash (guilt?), but when a Danish director does it, look out. Also, diversity is huge now and Björk would tick a box there, but at the time the Oscars really were very white. It's interesting that she won Europe's highest acting award pretty much uncontested and the academy couldn't even nominate her or the film for any thing other than best song.

I guess she was good but not Julia Roberts playing Erin Brockovich good.

“They’re called boobs!”

Who cares what Americans think. Celine Dion, Hootie and the Blowfish, Creed, and Limp Bizkit were the biggest artists of that era

I would nominate Weird Al to represent my country from that period.

Yeah, ok and you Brits were listening to nothing but Oasis, Take That/Robbie Williams, Spice Girls, and random Eurodance shit nobody else gave a fuck about

What dude do you think Bjorks not white?

She is almost as weird as her:
youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4

I am 34 and from a third world country.
She wasn't a super successfull mega star, but she was successfull and her many music videos were on heavy rotation in MTV, especially the Post videos for It's All so Quiet and I Miss Yoy. I remember being in a gym full of body builders who injected roids (I was there for karate), with MTV on, and watching the I Miss You video there.

IIRC with Bjork, every album of hers has sold less than the previous one. Her most commercially successful one was Debut, which many people saw as a normal dance album with songs like Violently Happy or Big Time Sensuality, but with a wacky experimental singer.
I'd say she was only a proper mainstream artist with Debut and Post, with Homogenic, singles like Hunter or Joga obviously didnt have as much commercial appeal, but she remained in the spotlight because of the Lars Von Trier movie, the Swan dress, the All is Full of Love video and her being in the 2004 Olympics.

I think she's smoking hot.

my parents were born in the 50s and knew a fair bit about her

Factually incorrect.

She was icelandic lady gaga