/vinyl/

/vinyl/
This thread is for the discussion of vinyl, and vinyl only. Please do not post about your CDs or cassette tapes in this thread. Please keep memes, low-effort replies, and shitposting to a minimum. These threads are meant to be mature, in-depth discussions of the superior format, for true collectors and serious music fans. If somebody comes into this thread to slam vinyl, or buying physical media, ignore them. Do not give them any (you)s, and try to keep the thread on topic instead of arguing. Here are a few questions to get the discussion started.

>what kind of turntable do you have?
>do you mostly buy new or used records?
>what is your most valuable record?
>what have you purchased recently?
>how do you store/protect your records?

Feel free to discuss reissues, post pictures of your sound system, links to your discogs profile, or whatever else.

Attached: vinyl.jpg (1200x800, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1l4Bd3LFAJg
discogs.com/Eagles-One-Of-These-Nights/release/1023037
youtu.be/074zqYndfdg
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/
nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/banned-at-head-fi.html
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1r03ck/loud_popping_turning_off_headphone_amp/
head-fi.org/threads/schiit-relays-advice-needed.613055/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-fulla-v2-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.3154/
youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg
amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Audio-Phono-preamp-output/dp/B007DB5I60/ref=sr_1_6?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995679&sr=1-6&keywords=phono preamp
amazon.com/U-Turn-Audio-Pluto-Phono-Preamp/dp/B018WK56JE/ref=sr_1_8?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995679&sr=1-8&keywords=phono preamp
amazon.com/Music-Hall-Mini-Phono-Pre-Amplifier/dp/B00S1GG9LE/ref=sr_1_4_acs_ac_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995679&sr=1-4-acs&keywords=phono preamp
amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B000YEK1AQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995752&sr=1-4&keywords=phono preamp&refinements=p_36:1253505011
amazon.com/ART-DJPREII-Audio-Turntable-Preamplifier-x/dp/B000AJR482/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995679&sr=1-3&keywords=phono preamp
amazon.com/Pyle-Phono-Turntable-Preamp-Preamplifier/dp/B004HJ1TTQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995781&sr=1-6&keywords=phono preamp&refinements=p_36:1253504011
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are the chances HD Vinyl is going to be anything other than a tremendous failure.

I'm at work. I'll post my setup and some recent purchases when I get home.

I haven't bought physical music in years and CDs just don't seem worth the price when I could listen to digital music literally anywhere else. What kind of setup would you rec for a beginning vinyl collector?

Why are my records crackling constantly

Clean them

oh shit thanks bro didn't think of that

a. Your records have dust on them that you need to clean off with a record brush
b. The pressing you bought of that record is poor quality (best way to check this is to check the pressing you have on discogs and look at the reviews)
c. Your turntable cartridge / needle is fucked up
d. Your speakers / headphones are fucked up
e. You're retarded and you bought a Crosley.

It depends on labels and pressing plants adopting the tech or not. It'll come down to whether the price can beat the traditional electroplating process costs.

GZ vinyl is one of the big names backing it, among others, so it at least has some backing.

When you lift the record off the turntable, do you hear any static crackling?
That's my main issue, especially in winter time when the humidity is really low.

You'll want a turntable with some weight to it, good torque on the motor, stable speed, and one that you can actually swap out the cartridge, if you get to the point of upgrading. For the love of god, do not get a suitcase turntable (like a damn Crosley, though there are other brands) as those have featherweight platters with no mass, and the cheapo styli will track inaccurately and destroy your discs.

Getting set up properly does not come cheap, unless you get lucky and inherit your parents' old stereo components like I did. Currently I've got a Technics SL-1200 as an everyday driver. It's an older model, but it's very adjustable and plays great.

Marantz 2226 and Technics SL-1200 MKII

Jamming the 2018 reissue of Unwound's "Leaves Turn Inside You" on 180 gram vinyl. It sounds pretty good.

youtu.be/1l4Bd3LFAJg

Attached: IMG_20190222_162017.jpg (3790x1897, 1.67M)

Did anybody pick up the reissue of Rainbow Rising? I haven't picked mine up yet, and I'm curious as to how it sounds.

Attached: Rainbow Rising.jpg (900x900, 115K)

Looking to upgrade my stereo cartridge. Any suggestions in the under $200 range?

Attached: W0mBlzZ.jpg (530x364, 58K)

What cartridge are you currently running?

i passed on an original for $4 a few years ago and still hate myself for not picking it up

Found this etched into the dead wax on an Eagles record. Side A says "DON'T WORRY" and side B says "NOTHING WILL BE OK!."

Attached: 20190108_143624.jpg (4128x2322, 2.47M)

I love finding shit like that. Does anybody else check the deadwax on their records?

I guess there is an engineer out there with a sense of....humor?
Is this your record?
discogs.com/Eagles-One-Of-These-Nights/release/1023037

just copped the minecraft alpha soundtrack, arrives within a week

Attached: peepoLove.png (112x87, 19K)

I've been putting my stuff into discog. Certain albums have so many different versions and variations, that reading the runout is the only way to tell them apart.

I have to do this for hours on end lol
I work at a record store. I'm in charge of buying used music from people, marking it up, and selling it in the store. In addition to things like cleaning records, dewarping records, and fixing torn album covers, my job consists of constantly looking up different album on Discogs, labeling exactly which pressing they are, and pricing them accordingly. I've spent hundreds of hours just looking up fucking matrix numbers.

I've got an Audio-Technica ATLP120 with all the default parts and pieces. Nothing beyond that and my computer's hard drive.

I've got several albums that never made it to digital formats that I'm looking to digitize optimally. This is particularly common among '80s Metal and Punk, but also for obscure Country and Jazz artists.

I've heard you can get good results without soldering off the internal phono preamp. Is any of this true or will I have to bite the bullet and do it?

If I can get an upgrade in sound quality without soldering anything off, what equipment do you recommend that's affordable?

If I must solder off the built-in phono preamp, what equipment will I need? What replacement parts do you recommend?

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached: ATLP120USBSV-xlarge.jpg (1800x1505, 329K)

I'm pretty sure there's a switch on the back to disable the internal pre-amp. Why do you need to turn it off?

Here's a before/after pre-amp removal:
youtu.be/074zqYndfdg

Speaking of, how do you de-warp a record? I've got a couple that really need it.

We have a device that essentially clamps the record down between two metal plates, using a screw through the center hole of the record to tighten it down, and we put that in an electric blanket for two hours, and then let it cool. As the metal plates heat up the record, it becomes soft and flattens between the plates. When it cools down and hardens again, its flat.

Results are mixed. Sometimes it works well the first time, sometimes it takes two cycles in the de-warper. Sometimes it doesn't really work at all, if the warp is REALLY bad.

Spinning this right now.

The American version (pic related) features their cover of "Dear Prudence" while the UK version does not.

Attached: IMG_20171120_113229.jpg (3474x2256, 2.74M)

How many of you fucking memelords picked this up? I know I'm not the only one.

Attached: 47691989_2021043648189100_982637763010120207_n.jpg (1080x1080, 110K)

Just got Five Leaves Left, up to 120 records now. I feel like people give the AT-LP60 too much shit for it not being that bad. Its not a crosely and sounds fine with my amp and speaker

Attached: Snapchat-1026313178.jpg (1080x1920, 569K)

>George Harrison
Based. He was always the best Beatle.

Youre god damn right he was

What are the record stores like in your city? What do you look for in a record store?

Attached: 1472936309656.jpg (970x651, 251K)

I got that.

One of my city's longest-running and most famous records stores just announced its closing its doors, and most of the others are on their last legs. The news was reporting on its shutting down and everything, but that doesn't bring back sales. Most sell mainly modern pop music or boomer rock and most don't even have second-hand sections. There's maybe two in the whole city with actually decent selections. It's pretty grim

I need to get a spinclean to do deep cleaning on some of my records

i mean i can't really blame them or anything but all my local stores just price match discogs on everything they receive so i rarely get any good deals on anything.

So what sort of pre-amps do you guys use?

The Okki Nokki is pretty great, but it's around $500.

>price matching Discogs is bad
Yeah, except you don't have to pay for shipping and you get the instant gratification of buying it in the store. You expect them to sell stuff below market value on purpose?

there's two zia records stores and like three stores that aren't franchises. I keep meaning to go to the non-zia ones. I usually just check the used record shelves, see if there's anything new in the shelves under and artists I know, and any used vintage audio equipment. too bad nothing much good is in their used equipment, a redflag even was when they put a broken piece of equipment I returned back on the shelf.
I was looking at that actually

The one closest to me is alright, but if you go downtown it's great.

Maybe they were able to fix the thing you returned? That wouldn't necessarily be a red flag for me, unless they had a history of selling broken equipment.

I only just started collecting records that I really love and I want to get a nice turntable. Should I fuck off and look around or is there a standard answer for good intro turntables? Im not sure what i'd look for except durability, physical quality aand good on the records

>Maybe they were able to fix the thing you returned
zia doesn't do any equipment repair, they simply buy and sell used stuff (equipment, games, books, game consoles, etc) and other new items on top of used and new records.

The Audio-Technica LP-120 is a good entry-level turntable. You can get one for around $300.

Just get a U turn orbit and a Preamp

What kinds of inner sleeves do you guys use for your records? I love the heavy paper sleeves with rice paper lining the inside.

Mobile Fidelity sleeves are great.

Rate this setup, It's kinda convoluted as fuck because I don't really know what I'm doing.

>LP60 (initially I bought the LP120 but I didn't feel that it was worth the money, LP60 sounds the same to me and I also absolutely love having automatic start/stop)
>Behringer PP400 Phono preamp
>Schiit Magni 3 headphone amp
>Micca Origin power amp
>Sony SSCS5's

Attached: 20190224_011004.jpg (1200x900, 190K)

What kind of receiver should I buy? What does a receiver even do? Everybody keeps telling me that I need one.

Attached: 1eff0fa00c98e8b68440877f180f7ee8--hifi-rack-audio-rack.jpg (587x800, 94K)

>any vintage table from a reputable brand that has a counterweight you can find on ebay, craigslist, kajiji, or local thrift store
>u-turn
>project debut

>What kind of receiver should I buy?
Pioneer, Marantz, Onkyo, or Kenwood.
>What does a receiver even do?
pre-amp/amplifier + AM/FM tuner that allows you to switch between various inputs to play on a pair of speakers or headphones
>Everybody keeps telling me that I need one.
it's a simple, easy to setup, and can even be cheap piece of equipment that acts as the heart of your audio system

Get a Marantz.

Appreciate it lads, will look around

What sort of preamp are you guys using?

Schiit Mani

the one on my receiver
>schiit
lmao

How does it compare to Pro-Ject Tube Box S? I'm considering buying one since the one inside the ATLP-120USB is low quality.

It's the schiit

How does it compare to Pro-Ject Tube Box S?

LP60 gets too much hate, if you're on a budget and you're not spinning records every single day, it's perfect. It's amazing for any casual vinyl collector. Good on you for switching out and saving money, as it seems you're not much of an audiophile and just like the aesthetic of it or the collecting of it.

Attached: 1550732979941.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

I've never use the Pro-Ject so idk

too bad it's schiit
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/
nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/banned-at-head-fi.html
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1r03ck/loud_popping_turning_off_headphone_amp/
head-fi.org/threads/schiit-relays-advice-needed.613055/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-fulla-v2-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.3154/
youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg

Right now, my most valuable record is Frank Ocean's Endless. Right now it's valued around $100-$200 USD.

What's a good preamp?

$100
amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Audio-Phono-preamp-output/dp/B007DB5I60/ref=sr_1_6?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995679&sr=1-6&keywords=phono preamp
amazon.com/U-Turn-Audio-Pluto-Phono-Preamp/dp/B018WK56JE/ref=sr_1_8?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995679&sr=1-8&keywords=phono preamp
$80
amazon.com/Music-Hall-Mini-Phono-Pre-Amplifier/dp/B00S1GG9LE/ref=sr_1_4_acs_ac_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995679&sr=1-4-acs&keywords=phono preamp
amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B000YEK1AQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995752&sr=1-4&keywords=phono preamp&refinements=p_36:1253505011
$50
amazon.com/ART-DJPREII-Audio-Turntable-Preamplifier-x/dp/B000AJR482/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995679&sr=1-3&keywords=phono preamp
$20
amazon.com/Pyle-Phono-Turntable-Preamp-Preamplifier/dp/B004HJ1TTQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1550995781&sr=1-6&keywords=phono preamp&refinements=p_36:1253504011

show me your fancy pressings, lads

Attached: interpol_totbl.jpg (4032x3024, 3.58M)

If you actually fell for that...

bump

Just picked this up. Some great early 2000s screamo.

Attached: Dance Tonight.jpg (4128x2175, 2.3M)

probably just a meme to rerelease beatles and others pop albums again