I love classical music (Beethoven, Shostakovich and Bartok are my favorites) but I can’t get into jazz...

I love classical music (Beethoven, Shostakovich and Bartok are my favorites) but I can’t get into jazz. It all just seems so rhythmically repetitive and pretty straightforward harmonically. And simple with just one melody going on at once. I tried free jazz too but most of that seems to lose any sense of coherent rhythm, harmony, or melody.

Attached: 2CE781F0-C89A-45DF-9BA4-DCD2CAA9DC6E.jpg (1200x1200, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MqRamGcGUhE&t=2s
youtube.com/watch?v=5AsaCNqfRAE
youtube.com/watch?v=y6MwTVkgY4o
youtube.com/watch?v=ieT4fGXskJE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You assessment is correct, jazz is low IQ musicand the attempts of elevating it to the same level as art music are born out of American insecurity.

Try post bop for something in between
>money jungle
>the real mccoy
>a love supreme
>blues and roots

You want post-bop. Try this:

youtube.com/watch?v=MqRamGcGUhE&t=2s

Attached: 1515682918885.jpg (1200x1200, 1.27M)

>art music

Attached: 7D4D5E1D-2D08-4EED-B762-CE3806E65838.jpg (640x633, 39K)

try easing into it gently
mabye start off with pseudo jazz like Shostys Orango or some Weinberg stuff
then soft big band shit
then hit the hard bebop

Also try third stream stuff if your like classical

People who think Jazz is as sophisticated as classical are only slightly less full of shit than mealheads who think their shit genre is the spiritual successor of classical.

>jazz
>straightforward harmonically
lolwut

I think he started with poppy vocal jazz or swing

Probably the same kind of pseud who thinks serialism is sophisticated.

why isn't serialism sophisticated?

youtube.com/watch?v=5AsaCNqfRAE

It's boring even at 2x speed.

your boring even at 2x speed

Attached: 1550803589310.jpg (540x540, 55K)

wtf is this. The second track is over 10 minutes long! Who has time for this shit?

Attached: 1550789662567.jpg (1125x1358, 251K)

pretty good and sounds pretty accessible to newbies too

I've never heard jazz that is as harmonically dense or rich as a Shostakovich symphony or Bartok string quartet

this is not bad so far, ty

I've heard money jungle and a love supreme and wasn't too impressed with either one

Attached: shosty.png (736x571, 134K)

Did you like Black Saint and the Sinner lady?

I liked it better than most jazz but the things I liked about it were the things that made it seem less like real jazz and more like classical music

>as harmonically dense or rich as a Shostakovich symphony or Bartok string quartet
I like both those composers, but jazz sometimes uses 7-limit harmony (with blue notes), so jazz wins. A better example would be Harry Partch, who specialized in 11-limit harmony. Or for a modern example, Sevish, or Brendan Byrnes, who are both composing more interesting music than most jazz or classical composers.

>but jazz sometimes uses 7-limit harmony (with blue notes)
so recommend me some of that then

skip to the third track of this if you want some sexy harmony

>Shostakovich fan
>the composer who literally did a jazz album

Come on now. If you want jazz acting as formal and sophisticated as classical music then just go to Anthony Braxton and his otherworldly shit. If you’re obsessed with complexity though, you’ll never understand the point of jazz. It sure did get pushed to artistic heights thanks to pieces like Giant Steps and On the Corner, but as an improvisational form started by Black Americans, it’s core essence is in expression, not technicality

I don't know enough about jazz to name any. I'm not actually promoting jazz, I'm just anti-promoting classical. Listen to some barbershop if you want a genre that revolves around 7-limit harmony.

Here's some nice drum work, you might be paying more attention to classical melodic devices bc of your familiarity with it's parlance; if so it might be worth your while to get a book on jazz or at least just to better acquaint yourself with it's idiom.
youtube.com/watch?v=y6MwTVkgY4o

Here's something you should like anyway : )
youtube.com/watch?v=ieT4fGXskJE

this

As a classical musician i got into jazz through Charles mingus