How can people think Nirvana topped this album?

This is easily the best grunge album to ever come out, Layne Staley will always be the best grunge vocalist to ever live.

If you have any grunge thats better than this leave a rec please

Attached: 81g0YcT68pL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ADSe-gZ5cy4
youtube.com/watch?v=HVPzWkdhwrw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

screaming life/fopp by Soundgarden

nice trips but AiC is like the 8th best grunge band

even fuckin silverchair is better than them

I totally agree, nirvana has become a sacred cow and this zoomers think they haver "discoverd" this dadrock retro band from 30 years ago...

grunge is simple music for angsty emos tho.

the whole allure of nirvana is that the guy killed himself. that's all.

yeah man Alice are literally the best grunge band and one of the best bands of the late 80's early 90's

The shell ejected the wrong way his wrist couldn't have twisted like that the CIA killed Cobaine bc he was too grunge

thanks ill check this out
what are your top 5 grunge bands?
in utero is good and has the best lyrics of any nirvana album imo however this albums instrumentals are way better than anything nirvana did, the way layne sings on god smack is really creative idk i never heard kurt do anything like that

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were clearly the powerhouses of the Grunge movement, Pearl Jam and Nirvana were the mainstream darlings, and Stone Temple Pilots were addict posers.

Down in a Hole, Rooster, Would, it's got some of the best material ever written on it.

Not really

AiC has an awesome atmosphere, and their heaviest, darkest stuff is great. But when they try to sound like Aerosmith it's always really cheesy, and I find Layne Staley's voice really annoying.

Also, if I'm into the darkest, dirgiest grunge (as I am), I might as well just listen to sludge like Eyehategod or stoner metal like Kyuss or Electric Wizard.

Soundgarden were all around a better band, Nirvana were more fun, and Staley wasn't nearly as good a songwriter as Eddie Vedder. They're the weakest of the big 4 IMO.

pearl jam fucking sucks

Why?

Nirvana was a new type of hard rock. All the other grunge bands were faggy rebranded glam metal. Posers.

don't lie we ALWAYS have thread with "why did he did it brohs? why ?" "I feel so close to him with his music why did he did it? "

kids like all this angst thing, all this dadrock bands from 30 years ago are the same sad thing, alice in chains at least is musically better than the rest, because of the vocal range of laney and because of the metal influence of cantrell, kurt is not at this level OBJECTIVELY, he even openly rejected playing more complex guitar pieces....

but ultimatelly all this is just s-o-y-lent driven music.

Attached: images[1].jpg (225x224, 5K)

Good bait

I secong this

idk i always liked pic related

youtube.com/watch?v=ADSe-gZ5cy4

Attached: R-4540786-1443284658-5841.jpeg.jpg (599x605, 147K)

Nirvana is one of the worse grunge bands desu

>Diva
>Earth2
>Babes in Toyland
>Melvins
>Gumball
>Tad
>U-Men
>Mother Love Bone
>L7

i always thought they were one of the best grunge bands but i just recently heard dirt and it blew my mind that people fawned over kurt rather than layne.
tyvm ill look at these guys

the superior grunge album

Attached: IMG_20190221_191858.jpg (415x500, 93K)

>i just recently heard dirt and it blew my mind

people got full invested in nirvana because he commited suicide in their commercial peak.
laney's voice is a LOT better than cobain and many the lyrics are actually about something.

>This is easily the best grunge album to ever come out
That's sort of like rateing logs of shit.

Grunge is boring

*blocks your path*

Attached: aliceinchains.jpg (500x500, 98K)

>voice is better
>lyrics are about something

If you think that makes them the better band you don't understand grunge

does this count as grunge yet?

Attached: 124w8rw7385u9eoshf.jpg (154x160, 8K)

ok, i accept that, we were goin just by musical qualities not about genre, so I gues alice in chains is not grunge.

They coppied RHCP.

what do you like more about this album over dirt?
thats not very nice =[
im confused on what you mean is grunge more about the aggressive instrumentals?
what album is this? is it worth listening?

>grunge is simple music for angsty emos tho.

i feel like cobain fought so hard for his music to be playful/facetious, emotionally aware and not overly dramatic, but then it all got fucked when AiC and Nickelback and everyone bastardised grunge and made it super edgy

agree with this, but i feel like layne and thom kinda set the stage for buckley, which i hope can recontextualise that style of singing for you

i find it interesting that these are mentioned above nirvana around here, i feel like the whole point of nirvana is that they were super non-diatonic yet really catchy, and also not dramatic or reductionist, so they were kinda a subversion of lazy pop rock groups at the time. i don't want to disparage the guys on that list, but i really do feel that cobain was kinda just thinking on a higher level than them --- and i feel like his work still strongly represents the values of their scene. it's a shame they've been bastardised, and it's a shame he was a hot junkie, but hey what can ya do

dude silverchair is so fucking bad, i would still put them below AiC

i think you would like Jeff Buckley - Mojo Pin (there's a mystic quality on dirt that i think buckley explores further). not necessarily grunge, but considering how loose a term grunge is, i think we're good

Attached: 12141858_812014078905108_1822006126_n.jpg (1080x1080, 85K)

By having a brain, this is generic metal

To me, it's a lot more consistent than Dirt, and even though it's longer I have a much easier time sitting through the whole thing. I appreciate the greater emphasis on atmosphere- while Dirt is generally more immediate, Tripod slowly sucks you into this bleak, sludgy hellscape world, and personally I find it a lot more engaging.

Lol @everyone who thinks aic or pj are better than nirvana. They both have like, 10 good songs each. Nirvana doesnt even have 10 bad songs

>i think you would like Jeff Buckley - Mojo Pin (there's a mystic quality on dirt that i think buckley explores further)
ive heard mojo pin and i love it and i know exactly what you mean he touches the surface of grungish sounds eternal life and so real

how do you think its generic can you elaborate pls

what are your top 3 from the album? ill re listen to it and see what i think since ive really digested dirt already

you may be right i probably shouldnt have even created this thread

Attached: 2f7.jpg (601x508, 31K)

Really bad bait
Slightly better bait
Obvious bait
Nirvana maybe doesn't have too many bad songs but majority of their songs are mediocre.

In no particular order- Frogs, Sludge Factory, Heaven Beside You

If you reduced Alice in Chain to their best 15 songs, they are immensely superior to Nirvana.

And Layne was a terrific vocalist, a great singer with a big powerful chesty voice. I think he could have been trained to be a dramatic tenor.
In comparison, the high notes of Cornell from Soundgarden weren't "normal singing", it was a bit like what Axl does.

>butt rock with butt vocals

this has to be bait.

Attached: 1550711224684.gif (423x264, 1.95M)

they never got enough credit for their vocal harmonies, many people wrongly think they were a studio effect instead of Layna harmonizing with the guitar guy. They were as good as B-52s at that

this album is the best album in the genre. PERIOD. People can cry all they want.

I agree. just by the vocals alone technically is superior to other bands of the period. not that the others are bad but technically overall DIRT is superior.

Anyone know of any songs like Rain When I Die where the song slowly fades out, pauses, then fades back in? Pantera did the same thing in Sandblasted Skin.

Aic are proto-buttrock
Nirvana are patrician alongside mudhoney, jesus lizard, dino jr, sonic youth even

WHAT’S MY DRUG OF CHOIIIIIIICE

WELLLLLLL WHAT HAVE YOU GOOOOOTTTT

mr bungle self titled,short answer yes, long answer its an experimental grunge/sludge metal album

Kek

I DON’T GO BROOOOOOKE

Reminder that is record came out in 2018. Reminder that it is pretty good

Attached: rainier-fog-album-cover.png (380x380, 120K)

David Grohler of the food fighters killed Curt

You cleary only listen to thr big 5. You probably debate whether Badmotorfinger or Superunknown is better.
AiC's s/t is their best release, first of all. Second, none of the big 5 had a top 10 grunge release. Youre a meme. Fuck off.

It's shit, actually. Was disappointed. 1/10.

>Nirvana's first release
Ftfy

Only Nirvana's first release was grunge, and it happened to be their only good release. Your taste is the worst kind of opinionated. You lack a critical mind. Die.

Not even their best album.

>addict posers
explain

Frogs really is the greatest AiC song of all time.

>Layne Staley will always be the best grunge vocalist to ever live.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: kPSqWB_M_400x400.png (400x400, 188K)

in utero is great, the others are barely above average.

/thread

>t. brainlet

kys

>implying that isn't the whole allure of aic

yes, mr bungle is great

>

Attached: 1550231867713.gif (330x166, 2.24M)

nice trips, Alice is cool, too bad they don't make good music anymore, last good thing that came out from them was "Your Decision"
>grunge is simple music for angsty emos tho.
combined with era it was popular in, it was perfect fit, it doesnt try to pretend its anything else
Pearl Jam literally ended after first record, and even on first record there are bad songs that you cant be arsed to sit through
zoomer go play with traffic

>people got full invested in nirvana because he commited suicide

That's a more recent thing. Like when 90s kids started to deify Jim Morrison. Nirvana and Pearl jam were still huge when Kurt was alive and, apart from a comparatively brief but intense outpouring of grief when he killed himself, they melted into the background a bit while his contemporaries continued to put out albums.

>i feel like cobain fought so hard for his music to be playful/facetious, emotionally aware and not overly dramatic
bad bait

Proto-grunge surpasses grunge by miiiiiiles

Attached: MI0001633263.jpg (500x492, 54K)

Dirt's definitely the best, there's not a bad song on the album except for maybe "Hate to feel". JC is an amazing guitarist and songwriter. Obviously Layne's passing was a huge loss for music.

Seen them on their spring tour in May of last year. Their new material doesn't really do it for me but they put on a good show.

people should be executed for spouting this bullshit

>they melted into the background a bit while his contemporaries continued to put out albums.
I don't remember it like that. Kurt's death sky-rocketed Nirvana's rockstardom for like 10 years. Every cool kid had to play a couple of their songs on guitar. With every new album the other bands were subject to scrutiny while Nirvana were just legendary. Every time one of their songs came up people went like "oooh if Kurt was just alive, he'd be doing this and that and music would be awesome". Of course there were always the contrarians but nobody really listened to them... it was the vibe of that time to have big dreams of music because music videos were just so popular, every kid wanted to live their own rock and roll story because it was all over us. Friends and lovers exchanged tapes and gifted CDs, wanting to see their own individualities expressed in their peers through digging the same music. It was a new romanticism and Nirvana and Kurt were on top of it all.

Attached: FB_IMG_15458891123308153.jpg (1427x944, 600K)

>literally no mention of pic related
you are all nanobrained cocksniffers

Attached: Screaming_Trees_Sweet_Oblivion.jpg (300x300, 62K)

>I might as well just listen to sludge like Eyehategod or stoner metal like Kyuss or Electric Wizard.
What metal is to rock, sludge/doom is to grunge.
I've always seen doom as the natural point of progression for grunge.
Same themes but just heavier and darker.

I agree. I remember those years, MTV was pushing hard for "grunge" bands as the new big product, after cobain's death the deal was seal, grunge became the new multimillion pop thing, they dished all the other acts and concentrated the cash on grunge bands not for nothing we even got the whole flannel fashion craze of the 90s...

Attached: 734ab89426e1fae64116b6db4d69d991[1].jpg (620x400, 55K)

fuck yourself, youtube.com/watch?v=HVPzWkdhwrw is such a fucking great song. finally fused grunge and guns n roses. stone temple pilots were fucking legendary

Nirvana had some good ideas but they never fully realized them, In Utero is as close as they got.
Soundgarden is the same but replace In Utero with Superunkown
Pearl Jam has been chasing the high of their debut since it came out
Alice In Chains is the GOAT grunge band despite how edgy they are

can you explain how you were born with such a big brain i would like to make sure my child is as smart as you

do you think s/t is their best?

>nice trips, Alice is cool, too bad they don't make good music anymore, last good thing that came out from them was "Your Decision"

ive heard their newer stuff has been underwhelming idk if i want to listen to any of it and ruin the allure of the band.

how good is pic related?

>Alice In Chains is the GOAT grunge band despite how edgy they are

i get that people think the lyrics are edgy cause they deal with addiction and depression but i really love laynes writing

>ive heard their newer stuff has been underwhelming idk if i want to listen to any of it and ruin the allure of the band.

don't be such a wuss, it's basically another band, ok its not as good as the "other band" but theres some really nice guitar work in there.

this is objectively true