/prod/ - music production general

New to producing? Check the faq pastebin.com/B4nMDwmZ (embed)

Still got questions? Please be specific with what you're trying to do, the better you explain the better people will be able to help you.

Post works in progress to instaud.io/ or clyp with an anonymous account. Anything with your artist name should be posted in the soundcloud or bandcamp threads

last thread

Attached: prod.jpg (402x322, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instaud.io/3ksj
pastebin.com/uJ0zB9xT
www47.zippyshare.com/v/qc0MJ4jl/file.html
instaud.io/3kxR
clyp.it/033v1v4f
clyp.it/ciiyycxh
clyp.it/dxwn3k4c
cdm.link/2019/02/apple-2018-glitch/
clyp.it/5d5uvtn2
clyp.it/qjfbh0ma
www115.zippyshare.com/v/G7nuq1wh/file.html
clyp.it/zbd1vqi2
instaud.io/3kJ7
clyp.it/1mf1ldr2
clyp.it/aye5045m?token=07be7027ff1dc80d0befb6446ab33802
instaud.io/3kMv
youtube.com/watch?v=Kp7eSUU9oy8
instaud.io/3kOG
clyp.it/zje1ghad
instaud.io/3kRF
youtu.be/4BcacNcpQ3c
youtu.be/SEyCaLnhX7Q?t=86
youtube.com/watch?v=vRlPAV6bis0
clyp.it/oc0pakjb
clyp.it/lft4k4yp
instaud.io/3kX4
clyp.it/xadgnfsm
instaud.io/3kY2
youtube.com/user/Fagottron
youtube.com/watch?v=Aqv2xlstdM4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

instaud.io/3ksj

For those [spoiler]pussies[/spoiler] who were afraid to try THE OFFICIAL INSTANT /PROD/ INSPIRATION FOR MAX FOR LIVE (from ), here's what's inside, with comments explaining what everything does.
This is the text file it loads:
pastebin.com/uJ0zB9xT
Also, a "bang" in Max is a message that tells an object to do the thing it's supposed to do.

So all it does is:
>loads a text file (containing all the clyp IDs) when the device is loaded
>checks how many lines there are in the text file and sets that number as the range of a random number generator
>when you click on the image, the random number generator spits a number, then the [text] object (which has the txt file loaded) outputs the corresponding line (which contains one clyp ID)
>this ID then gets suffixed to "clyp.it/" to make a URL
>the URL is then sent to the browser

And here's the latest update with the newer songs added:
www47.zippyshare.com/v/qc0MJ4jl/file.html

Attached: instant_prod_inspiration_v190221.1.png (610x741, 159K)

instaud.io/3kxR

Snippet of a thing I'm working on. Going for that "Late Night In Moscow" kinda vibe. pls rate

Attached: asd.jpg (1440x823, 167K)

You need to learn a bit of music theory.
It sounds like it was made by a random midi generator or something.

Also, some of the sounds (mainly the drums) sound like basic presets/samples that come with your programs, so maybe try choosing better sounds or processing them to make them yours.

thank god something that isn't a shitty beat
there are some ugly clicks that you should get rid of but the rest is very nice, good job

Sounds like the background music of a VST plugin demo (only lacks a 60yo old british narrator) or one of those early 00' engineering documentaries from Europe.
Not sure what a "Late Night In Moscow" kinda vibe is, so I can't comment on that.

Not really into the genre, but if the above is what you were going for, then you nailed it.
It sounds pretty good overall (other than the clicks that the other user already mentioned).

>can't stop looking at free plugins and plugin discounts

do you guys do this? i feel like i have to because otherwise I'll miss out on some gamechanging shit

which part sounds like a midi generator?
the beginning and end or the entire thing?

Get an RSS reader (I use Feedly) and add audioz.download to it (you can add specific pages if you want, so you don't get every new post).
Your free time and your wallet will thank you.

Everything.

NEW SECRET WEAPONS OUT

Attached: rnth0b9xweh21.jpg (1125x952, 71K)

>not aids from a black tranny
cringe and bluepilled

What would you guys pay for this?

Mac Pro 5.1 (2010)
2 x Intel Xeon X5690 3.46ghz
48GB DDR3 RAM
525GB SSD - OWC Accelsior S Storage Expansion
1TB WD Black
Geforce GTX 680 2GB

so, what from music theory should i incorporate?

That's why Sammy is in a rut.
The tranny is getting all the inspiration from him.
He just has to reverse the roles and he'll start writing some incredible music in no time.

haha not exactly what I meant. the problem is im always getting new plugs and filling up my drive and then i end up not even using most of them

As long as they're free, who cares... keep getting them lol.

Maybe give yourself the daily task of experimenting with a different plugin (of the ones you already have) every day, so at least you get some use out of them.

I'm not very knowledgeable in music theory myself (and I mostly go by ear, which took me many years to develop), so I'm not really sure how to articulate it, but essentially, that song sounds like it was made with a midi generator because it lacks any sense of melody, rhythm, and cohesion between the parts.
If you notice, great music has this way of leading you to a certain "meaning" even if there aren't any words. It's because there are ways to catch the listener's attention, give them an expectation of what's about to come, fulfill that expectation, and any other thing you want your music to do.
Melodies usually sound good when they have a motif that repeats kinda like a riff but with variation, so the listener can "ride along". If the melody has no repetition it's gonna be hard for someone who doesn't already have it memorized to ride along.
There's also the "call and response" concept, which basically consists in making your music be made of a part A and a part B that "responds" to it.
Usually they alternate for a bit and end with a different part. for example:
>ABAC
or:
>ABAB ABAC ABAB ABAD
You can also repeat this and make the second variation different (like change the octave, root note, sound design, etc.)
>abab abac abab abad ABAB ABAC ABAB CDFF
The sky is the limit.
As long as you base your big picture on this sort of repetition, your music will be easier to follow.

There's also the "tension and release" concept where you create a sort of "tension" (like a spring being stretched) and then you release it.
EDM music has this in a very prominent way where before the drop (the release) there's a very prominent crescendo buildup that creates the most amount of tension possible to maximise the release (like edging so you can cum harder).
This doesn't just have to be between sections. You can do this in a more subtle way inside the sections.

Your song doesn't seem to have any of this.
I only hear a sequence of seemingly random notes.

im really lazy so, for now, i think ill just shit out more music like this
thanks anyways, one day ill incorporate what you said to me

You disgust me.

But seriously.
Listen to the music you like carefully and you'll notice all these things in most non-experimental songs (you shouldn't learn from those anyway, unless you're already advanced yourself).
It will just come natural after a while.
I never think those things when I make music (it wasn't even easy to articulate that post desu). It's just that music sounds "wrong" when it doesn't have them.

What DAW are you using?

im using Ableton

Which version?

Ah damn, I'm still on 9.
I was thinking of asking you to upload the project to try and apply those things to it.
I guess you'll have to beat your laziness then.

i have been checking out some vsts

i bought izotope trash 2+ iris 2 bundle, and im going to buy a few valhalla reverbs

are there any other cheap essential vsts i should check out?

i make techno type stuff

Is it retarded to buy this in 2019 even if it's maxed out?

I bought a novation circuit for fucking around with but I cannot get my head around actually producing something that is decently musical.

Sucks.

Strap it on everything.

Attached: tapehead.jpg (410x133, 46K)

The only reason you would want to buy a MBP is to use Mac-only software or for live shows where normies will think you're a loser if you use an inferior non-Mac laptop (some people say they're also more stable, but I'm not sure an equally priced Windows laptop would be less stable).
If you don't have those two needs, then a new Windows laptop (or better, a self-built desktop if you don't need the protability) will give you much better spect for the same amount of money.

If you do need a Mac though, I can't help you. Sorry.

Can you give me an example of the ABA thing. I don't get it, is it like two different parts of a song?

For those parts or a whole functioning box?
Also gonna need to know the MoBo and the RAM frequency+timings.

dont listen to this guy. He clearly never used mac software and isn't familiar with latency or driver issues on windows.

Get a mac if you want to make music period.
still wouldn't buy this though. Those xeon processors eat massive amounts of power and you'd be basically better off just hackintoshing a desktop with a coffeelake cpu and ditch the discreet graphics. Personally I'd get a 2015 macbook pro if you wanted to be mobile. Otherwise go with a hackintosh

Oh god it's a laptop?
Nothing over 1k.

Just use actually MIDI generators then, you'll increase your BPM and get that much closer to the big leagues.

clyp.it/033v1v4f
clyp.it/ciiyycxh
clyp.it/dxwn3k4c

Haven't arranged it yet, but do you think anybody would pay for a project that sounds like this?
And which version do you prefer?

A:
>mary had a little lamb
B:
>little lamb, little lamb
A:
>mary had a little lamb
C:
>its fleece was white as snow

A:
>everywhere that mary went
B:
>mary went, mary went
A:
>everywhere that mary went
C:
>the lamb was sure to go

dont listen to this guy. He clearly never used windows software and isn't familiar with how much have latency or driver issues improved on windows.

it's a mac pro, not a mbp. thanks for the insightful post though.
functioning box, i don't know the rest.
you might be right, i've thought about building a hackintosh with i7-8700 or i9-9900 but i'm afraid i'll fuck it up somehow. i've been using a mbp for years and the last pc i built was 10+ years ago.

>mac pro
Ah sorry, I somehow read Macbook Pro lmao
You should know that there are many trustworthy rumors about Apple presenting a new Mac Pro this year, so keep that in mind (either for buying it or for waiting until it comes out so the older models cost even less).

Still, consider how much you need MacOS, because in the current year many of the advantages it provides are nullified by how much Windows has caught up, and by how MacOS itself is becoming known for causing issues with music production softwares very often on updates.

>i've thought about building a hackintosh
Also a great idea.
Perhaps read a few of the guides on on r/hackintosh or watch a couple of videos to see if it's too hard.
It might save you a lot of money (or get you more bangers for your bucks).

Get a cheaper 2009 Mac pro for $400-$500 off eBay and flash it to 5,1 firmware and upgrade as you see fit
That's what I did and it only cost me around $600
I did upgrade the Bluetooth though so I could use the magic trackpad so that was like $100 by itself

kek. Keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile I'm listening to youtube and have a working instance of ableton open. Jelly?

cdm.link/2019/02/apple-2018-glitch/

No because I have an interface.

Guessing that's only the newer computers on Mojave
It's a Mac pro from 2010 you illiterate wintard, as long as he stays on Sierra or high Sierra and doesn't upgrade to Mojave he should be fine

i will look into that, thanks.
again, i'm not buying a mbp...

As always, no real point in debating Windows laptops vs Macbook Pro for making music. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you make your music with as long as it sounds good. Every device has its problems, but also its positive sides.

>needing to buy a $300+ interface just to have two audio instances
>needing to install extra drivers just to make the interface work
>still has more latency than mac natively without any drivers installed

feels good being superior

yeah, but windows is notoriously shitty.
With mac the cons are basically just being expensive hardware

A lot of successful producers produce on Windows, which means it's good for the job. There is no evidence better than this.

Attached: 1519801774273.jpg (2592x1944, 1.08M)

lads, please don't make this into a mac vs pc-thread...

>>needing to buy a $300+ interface just to have two audio instances
Any cheap USB interface should work.
If you don't have to use one, just don't use ASIO, and your soundcard's driver will work fine and allow you to have any other program with audio running simultaneously, with only a slight decrease in performance.
If you really want the shortest latency use ASIO in those moments and turn the engine off when you're not using it.
I give you that this slight annoyance shouldn't be there, but it's not that bad.

>>needing to install extra drivers just to make the interface work
Oh right, I forgot Mactoddlers consider running an installer wizard or 20 seconds when you get a new interface a herculean task lmao

>>still has more latency than mac natively without any drivers installed
Not true btw.

Also, you forgot to add
>Mac has only a fraction of the plugins and audio software available for Windows
>Almost all software that's available for Mac is also available for WIndows (but not the opposite, not even close) and the few programs that aren't on Windows have an equal or better alternative
>almost all pirated programs are released for Windows (you'd like this, since you think $300 for an interface is a lot)
>PCs have much better hardware (more power for the same price, much larger choice for all needs, you're not stuk with Apple's bullshit anti-customer antics, can upgrade the individual component instead of having to rebuy the whole thing, can be fixed at home or at any shop, etc)

Yeah, we need more production related talk, not boring talk

Here we go again with this faggotry

Put your engineer in a straight-jacket you fuckhead preset jockey. Come here and tell me that, I'll multiband compress your ass you punk preset jockey. You faggot. You can't sample me, you're not man enough. I'll remake your track from scratch, you bitch. C'mon anybody in here can't cheat like this. This is the ultimate, man. Fuck you, you ho. Come and say it to my face.... I'll ghost produce your song in front of everybody. You bitch.... come on, you bitch. You're scared coward, you're not skilled enough to fuck with me. You can't last two minutes in my studio, bitch. Look at you scared now, you ho.... scared like a little trap beatmaker. Scared of the real Music Maker. I'll remix you 'til you love phase cancellation, fuckhead!

Are you buttmad that I proved you wrong, mactoddler?

kill yourself. you could have actually made this useful by loading the textfile with a list of effects processors pulled out at random so we could get some fx chain inspo. no one is inspired by listening to trash, they're just motivated to not be trash

>they're just motivated to not be trash
so then you are inspired?
you contradict yourself user...

i think it was a shitpost to make fun of demarcus (all it does is open his songs)
it's not meant to give you actual inspiration

I'm trying to go for some sort of drum and bass feel. Am I doing it right?

clyp.it/5d5uvtn2

Attached: VZAhDBY0n4.png (300x250, 30K)

What's the best way to work with your bandmates when you can't meet?
One of my friends is in another country for a year so we can't exactly work like usual.

Splice.

Does it work? We had problems with it for a long time, couldn't upload anything.
I'll have to try it again.

Never used it myself so I have no idea. Sorry.
It's the only thing I know of, other than the old exchange of stems via email or Dropbox or something.
Maybe something like Skype or Discord can make communication easier, IDK.
I'd try different approaches and see the least bad desu.

Alright, thanks. Guess we'll have to try it.

Attached: 1509827509575.jpg (640x625, 59K)

terrible drum kit, if you don't know the genre you're better off using premade drum loops

Yeah I used a TR-707 for the drums. Well now I know.

Wait is that unusual? I have 15 Chrome tabs and windows media player open while I use Reason and I never have a problem.

he's trolling user, all of that was bait

Probs just try switching to 909 samples or use drum loops.

>tfw only have an hour of time in the studio everyday

Attached: 1550724202058.jpg (435x434, 30K)

>tfw neet and have all day long to make music but never make any anyway.

Speedrun a beat my dude.

i need to practice my raps

>i need to practice my rape*

Sorry, Autocorrect.

i don't need a studio for that

Attached: DtBvfJ4VYAEmN37.jpg (1024x764, 63K)

someone lob me the dance music manual dank you very much

back to trappin xxx

clyp.it/qjfbh0ma

oh brother quads of truth, we need to be better. i relate to this a lot

Here:

I just don't get why there's no emotion

trap is supposed to be either hard, epic, or sad/nostalgic. this just sounds happy and gay, but not even that. literally sounds like it's just running around in a circle going nowhere and coming from nowhere.

demarcus try to use less notes in your next track. also try to repeat them. focus on the musical content brother.

peeplink is slow as hell imagine trying to download something actually big from it
www115.zippyshare.com/v/G7nuq1wh/file.html

>peeplink is slow as hell
???

so.... y- you don't want to make ambient together user?

Attached: 1544510419743.jpg (278x351, 36K)

Yeah I've got 909, 808, 707, LM-1, and LM-2 samples. I don't like using loops. Got nothing against it. It just comes across as lazy to me.

sylenth keeps crashing ableton FUUUUCK. How am I supposed to make hip-hop shit sound professional without Sylenth/Omnisphere? I'm trying to figure this Serum thing out. Using samples feels uncomfortable idk what to do.

Nibba Serum is easy as fuck to use. It only looks complex.

>without Sylenth/Omnisphere
>without a basic subtractive synth or a giant fucking rompler
dude what

>Using samples feels uncomfortable
in ableton???
drumrack simpler sampler
impulse is underrated but probably not what you had in mind

this thread is for mental midgets.

maybe because I want to fucking kill myself keep up

fuck you.

it's easy to use, it's not easy to achieve the sounds I actually want. Just watched a bunch of Serum tutorials on how to make arps and I still don't know how to make them sound like they have a rate of 1/16 while going up and down an octave

ayo demarcus relax, it's for your own good. if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got my dude. If you're satisfied with the music you're making, do you my g.

>mfw demarcus is turning into sammy

Attached: mj.gif (220x183, 277K)

>fuck you.
not him but what??
you *do* use too many notes. it's usually overbaked....

don't try to sequence in serum, just make a pluck sound and sequence it yourself

plz no

>I want to fucking kill myself
>makes lala fairytale music

Attached: 1508029379956.jpg (189x189, 16K)

I can't relax I hate everything and people only respond to me when I post trap beats
I don't want to get good at making trap beats I just want to
Fucking die, apparently. Fuck.
>If you're satisfied with the music you're making, do you my g.
I guess i'm satisfied with that song I just made but the bass sounds like literal shit.
Maybe I put too much Izotope Vinyl on that whatever it is, but whatever.

>you *do* use too many notes. it's usually overbaked....
I can't into minimalism. Not only do you gotta be like fucking. Cause you gotta place in the exact right fucking spot and then you're only putting a few things in there but then you gotta make it sound full. Or you're listening back and then it sounds too simple. I just can't do that shit. Too much power ain't enough power, you know what I mean? I just want to fill it all up like I'm one of those feeder fetish guys. It does usually sound like shit though, like how too much food can make you shit, I guess.

>makes lala fairytale music
does it really sound like that

>you're listening back and then it sounds too simple. I just can't do that shit
bro if you can't make something simple sound good your attempts at being complicated are definitely worse

>bro if you can't make something simple sound good
Its not about it sounding good, its about feeling the need to do more did I not express that

>did I not express that
evidently not
regardless, if you know that's a problem for you it's as simple as keeping that in mind while you produce.... like just don't do so much lol

>just don't do so much lol
lol ol olol LOL OLLO LOL LOL OLM= LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO L O FUCKING L
>just stop it bRO lol
L
O
L

The feeling to do more doesn't mean the need to add a lot more notes. It's to vary the rhythm, to vary your drums, automate some shit, play the same pattern but at a lower octave. Add subtle sounds here and there. Add another lead with a counter melody here and there. You can do it bro.

I remember please stop

Stop getting angry about not being able to do shit you fucking faggot.
You're a beginner, it's normal.
Don't expect to be able to make good music if you haven't even tried learning it.
Have you ever actually studied anything related to music?
Have you ever analyzed other people's music?

It usually takes years to become good, and obviously if you're as devoid of talent and intelligence as you are it's gonna take a bit longer, so accept this fact and calm down.
You just need to study things, practice what you learn (instead of practicing your shit skills and reinforcing you shitty knowledge), and you'll eventually develop some talent.

Start by reading this book:
And stop fucking complaining all the time jfc.
Every time you actually say those things they get solidified in your brain more and more until you can't get them out anymore.
Your synapses build around that mindset and it will be next to impossible to rewire them to a healthy way of thinking, so stop being so negative for your own sake.

Oh, this is useful advice.

I am really me.

>Stop getting angry about not being able to do shit you fucking faggot.
That's not why I'm angry. I said why was angry in the first sentence of my post that you conveniently glossed over. Whatever, it's all shit anyway.
>and obviously if you're as devoid of talent and intelligence as you are
>Start by reading this book:
epic.

>That's not why I'm angry. I said why was angry in the first sentence of my post that you conveniently glossed over. Whatever, it's all shit anyway.
I'm not referring to that one post you moron.
I'm talking about you coming here every day to complain that you suck and saying that you want to kill yourself.
We already talked about this many times.

>epic.
You're beyond saving and I'm starting to seriously hate you now.

hes right dude you should read that book if you want to get some actual skills

>You're beyond saving and I'm starting to seriously hate you now.
Good.

I legitimately can't read.

Don't listen to that other guy, its really not that bad. Just don't use shit like orchestral instruments unless you're going for the tacky-on-purpose James Ferraro vibe.

>Good.
My autism knows no bounds.
I will dedicate my days to fucking with you.
Stop being such a cunt to people who are trying to help you (which by the way, is probably just 2 or 3 guys, including me, so now you're left with 1 or 2 guys max).

>I legitimately can't read.
That's not true, what the fuck?
Why are you saying that?
If you can read Yea Forums posts you can read a book.
Especially that one, which only contains BASIC stuff that you can't ever be successful without knowing, so if you'll have to learn them one way or another, why not learn from that book and save time?

>Stop being such a cunt to people who are trying to help you
You're really mad at me because I'm not grateful you said I'm completely devoid of talent and intelligence lmfao

>You're really mad at me because I'm not grateful
No, this is normal around here.
We're even used to cunts like Sammy who even insults you for helping him.
It's normal and we'd be on Reddit if we weren't ok with this.

I'm just tired of you coming here every day saying you can't do shit, and when we tell you what to do in order to improve, you dismiss everything saying you're not smart enough or you can't read (???) or that you're too lazy, etc.
If you can't do what it takes to improve, then give up and find a job that you actually can do, instead of coming here and complaining about a situation that you're not willing to improve.

>you said I'm completely devoid of talent and intelligence lmfao
YOU'RE THE ONE SAYING THAT IN EVERY SINGLE THREAD, WHAT THE FUCK?
I said that if you know you're untalented and stupid you have an even bigger incentive to be patient, rather than expecting to get the results that a genius prodigy would get while you call yourself retarded and untalented in the very same post.

Demarcus:
>boo hoo i'm retarded i can't do anything
Anons:
>well, if you're retarded it's gonna take longer so be patient
Demarcus
>Did you just call me retarded? Fuck you I'm going to ignore your advice now.

See how little sense this makes?

>I'm just tired of you coming here every day saying you can't do shit,
All I did was ask for an opinion on a song (no response), and then posted a trap beat I finished, everything else was extraneous. Look, it doesn't matter. There's either a 65% or 85% chance I'll remember to try and use less notes next time I make a beat. This dude: gave good advice. I should write that down in my notebook.
> that you're not willing to improve.
Not not willing, can't.
>YOU'RE THE ONE SAYING THAT IN EVERY SINGLE THREAD, WHAT THE FUCK?
>See how little sense this makes?
Are you serious? I call myself retarded, but I'm myself. Why would I be okay with other people calling me retarded? If someone calls you a stupid bitch and you think you're a stupid bitch, you're gonna be okay with that random person calling you a stupid bitch? Or are you gonna want to pull an Aslan and rip their jaw off their face? Sane people choose the latter.

how's this little ambient rock track coming along? pretty satisfied with the mix, but unsure about all the accompaniment at the end. I want it to be kind of ambient and distorted. I like the strings but they sound super fake so I've washed them out in effects. do they need to be brought up in the mix or?

clyp.it/zbd1vqi2

instaud.io/3kJ7
Could use some suggestions on where to go with this and general feedback. peace

>clyp.it/zbd1vqi2
Cool stuff. I think the strings sound fine, work really well to accentuate the hits of the guitar and drums, really nicely done.

>implying using overused barely processed drum machine samples isn't lazy
no serious producer would use them as they are, you are forced to process them and usually layer them with something else to make them fit

did you record this or make it in a DAW

>All I did was ask for an opinion on a song (no response), and then posted a trap beat I finished, everything else was extraneous.
Yes, and on top of that you complained that you can't do what you want to do, that you don't want to make trap beats, and that you want to die.
You do this every day.

>Are you serious? I call myself retarded, but I'm myself. Why would I be okay with other people calling me retarded?
BECAUSE WE'RE NOT TRYING TO INSULT YOU YOU DUMB CUNT (yes this one is an insult) WE'RE TRYING TO HELP YOU.
You're on fucking Yea Forums not club penguin.
You're gonna get people being rude to you.
We all get called everything in the book around here.
You can't have such a thin skin on the Internet, especially on a site like this.
It's just how we talk around here.

>If someone calls you a stupid bitch and you think you're a stupid bitch, you're gonna be okay with that random person calling you a stupid bitch?
Yes.
The only situation I wouldn't be ok with is if they were trying to insult me, in which case I'd be mad that they dared disrespecting me, but not about what they said.
If they said I'm a stupid bitch in a non-insulting manner I wouldn't be offended, and if they sad some non-offensive thing in an offensive manner I'd still get mad because it's the intention that matters.
And this only applies to things said in person.
Something said online will never offend me no matter what it is or how it's said.

In this case, I'm just repeating what you said to make my argument make sense according to the point of view that you made by saying those things about you.
I wasn't trying to insult you.

And regardless, good advice is still good advice even if the guy who gave it to you called you names.
You shouldn't ignore it just because of that, since it can actually help you.

>Or are you gonna want to pull an Aslan and rip their jaw off their face? Sane people choose the latter.
What?

incorporation of both.

I mean sure loops can be lazy but for many genres using a treated loop is a cornerstone of the style.

>Yes, and on top of that you complained that you can't do what you want to do, that you don't want to make trap beats, and that you want to die.
Yeah that was extraneous though.
>What?
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, nigga.

>Yeah that was extraneous though.
Extraneous to what?
It's the entire point of the first post I sent you.

>The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, nigga.
Haven't read that (or watched the movie), sorry.

Also, how did you read it if you can't read?

>Also, how did you read it if you can't read?
Nigga there's a movie

I know (Literally mentioned it in the post you were responding to), but you didn't mention "The Chronicles of Narnia". You specifically mentioned "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe", so I assumed you were talking about the book.

it's OK but very basic. no I don't think anyone would pay.

>crack rock landscape
nowhere near bleak enough.

hey
thanks for responding
and looking back, it is kind of basic
I'm gonna try again
I'm trying to make an EP that I can put on Bandcamp and sell for money
I want to go for an ambient/dreampop kind of feel but I guess I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing

the movie is called The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

>I legitimately can't read.
Get someone to read it to you.

>the movie is called The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
Ah you're right, I didn't know that.
Thought it was just "The Chronicles of Narnia".
My bad.

I think I used a major scale, I named it crack rock landscape because of the drums. Also, I feel like a dumbass using scales. I feel like I'm making music in an inorganic way, should I just start fiddling around with random notes again like I did in the beginning?

Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days.

>rip their jaw off their face
Holy shit we've got another "dominant male" here!
Sammy quick tell him how savagely you topped a negro tranny to reestablish yourself as the He-Man of /prod/!

Do you think I'd be on Yea Forums, especially Yea Forums of all places, if I were a dominant male

I like them where they are, nicely tucked back so they just fill the spaces between.

I think the strings sound great as they are. Good job on the track overall. Nicely done.

Attached: isolated-island.jpg (700x487, 124K)

Demarcus I'm going to bed now so I won't keep arguing with you, but please for your own sake, read that book.
Even if it takes you a year to finish it, do what you can.
If you can't read that, you will never amount to anything in music, so you need to find a way to learn those skills if you actually want to become good.
You can't expect to improve just by making songs and learning through the feedback that we give you here. It's gonna take you a decade to learn the same foundations that would take you a year to learn with just that book.

I'm 100% serious.
If you don't put some serious effort you're gonna find yourself 10 years older and a mega failure with nothing in his life, so you might as well just find a simple job now and build your life from there instead of wasting your time with music and having to start your life from a simple job anyway, only at an older age.

The bass bit around the 23 second mark is pretty dissonant sounding (sharp I think).
Pretty interesting sounding, needs something to tie it together more though, it sounds like a few nice things just coexisting.

I was just gonna pull out my MIDI keyboard tomorrow and look at Michael New videos + the music theory workbook from the music theory class I dropped my first semester of college. I couldn't sell it back to the bookstore cause it's a workbook.

Alright, but download it anyway and keep it because you'll eventually need it.

>should I just start fiddling around with random notes again
Oh sweet Jesus please do! Take us into a new era of musicality DeMarcus I believe your pure spirit will be as a lens to the Divine Light of creativity that casts it's beautiful radiance upon us all that we may make music from shadow!

i don't frequent prod as much as I used to but is the same man that like back in june thought composing chords was just plotting them on the sequence with a few spaces in between them?

I have it downloaded, I think. Maybe. Lord knows I can't read though.

Please, no memes.

Sigh.

Yes.

Pull your shit together, Demarcus !!

I'm addicted to slowing down loops of catchy music and adding garbage compression and effects. Am I in the right place?
Would the next natural step be to create a full song or get good on a real instrument
Also [spoiler] fruity stoodio or logic X [/spoiler] ? I have both

do both man. i'd say logic (or ableton), but it's ultimately what you jive with personally.

No memes, I'm just tired of the antiquated focus on tonal music.

Gotta watch Desus & Mero rn and then I'm gonna go back to working on the Dreampop Hip-Hop EP
Y'all better support me once it's finished and on Bandcamp

>If you don't put some serious effort you're gonna find yourself 10 years older and a mega failure with nothing in his life, so you might as well just find a simple job now and build your life from there instead of wasting your time with music and having to start your life from a simple job anyway, only at an older age.
that was a bit too close to home

Attached: FaceApp_1531435502028.jpg (1000x1006, 385K)

It's entirely possible that I prefer atonal music and don't know it. I think a lot of the stuff I made when I first started was atonal unintentionally and I liked that stuff better than what I'm making now.

Good plan, my man

Reasons why you enjoy the music you do in ranking order:
1.Personal preference
2.Familiarity
3.Cultural context
4.Structure of the music

Great.
It's really important for anyone going into music production (or any such high risk hgh reward endeavor) that it's an all or nothing bet on yourself.
You have to give it everything for years if you want that minuscule chance at being lucky and making it.
Without your best effort you'll never get anything out of music, so you might as well stop chasing it and keep it as a hobby while you work a normal job.

sick. think I could tidy up the kick and toms a lil. thanks duds

>3.Cultural context
what do you mean by this

Every enviroment is different, depending on where, when and who you are. If you're african growing up in the dessert with no internet connection you probably wont listen to techno

>if you're african growing up in the dessert

Ah you think chocolate is your favourite food? You merely ate the chocolate. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't taste savory until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but nauseating!

Attached: 113148_largest_chocolate_bar_Chicago.jpg (466x310, 59K)

I have a weird eating dissorder and shouldn't think about chocolate right now

What does /prod/ think of reason

Easily impress normies with cool looks
Makes you look like a boomer who likes wires
Very cool granular synth
Producer hipster cred
Daw bait

But really who the fuck cares

soft knee or hard knee for sidechaining kick to bass

Attached: 1450309407454.jpg (720x960, 107K)

depends how subtle or exaggerated baka

give me the rundown on soft vs hard knee

just googled it I think hard knee is the way to go for what I'm trynna do

is -3 lufs too loud???

bump

give me some hopium bros
i went and got my earwax cleaned out 2 days ago (left ear was almost completely deaf/clogged)
i didn't leave it clogged for too long (like a week)
but now, 2 days later, i have tinnitus for some reason and slight hearing loss on that ear
pls PLS tell me any similar experiences, and that it's only temporary until shit readjusts im LITERALLY crying and shaking rn

clyp.it/1mf1ldr2

well this is fucking garbage
should my main priority at the moment be learning theory or learning about EQing and frequencies?
I should take a break from producing so I can listen to more Radiohead and Talking Heads

>learning theory or learning about EQing and frequencies

these are both endeavors to take place over years dude, not something you focus on for a month and take a break from. literally just go through the pastebin, idk what to tell you, you can't get around this stuff

if you like them cool but i wouldn't call them appropriate study material- talking heads/funk influenced music isn't something you'd end up using realistically unless you want to make something weird as fuck

radiohead can actually be deceptively complicated.... dj shadow/autechre/miles davis influences showing up in a seemingly unrelated genre might make you think about music differently

if you have it is probably permanent i do and its only annoying when theres no sound

Attached: 1550813163891.gif (427x240, 1.83M)

i literally never had this issue before, it only appeared the past 2 days after having the ear wax removed

ask a doctor

took a stab at a boards of canada type sound.
super out of touch with what i usually make, but pretty fun desu.

how'd i do prod?

clyp.it/aye5045m?token=07be7027ff1dc80d0befb6446ab33802

Attached: 93611.jpg (540x540, 73K)

btw i know the chords are annoying. i couldn't fix it while keeping the same feeling so i just gave up lol

instaud.io/3kMv

Y are u not putting grain delay w/ a bunch of automation on ur breaks?

actually breddy gud. i'd prefer if the "drop" was a little more subtle, but that's just preference i guess.

Make sure your drum loop is less grainy. What are you using to stretch it? Also a top melody synth wouldnt hurt

All daws can put out the same sound its just workflow difference.

i chose to go for that grainy sound for a kinda degraded feeling. i time-streched all the drums while keeping the same pitch, so they end up sounding kinda weird, then i slightly bitcrushed them and gave it a bunch of jitter to get a weird noisy high end.
having a synth on top would help though, for sure. cheers.

thanks for the idea

>I'm just tired of you coming here every day saying you can't do shit, and when we tell you what to do in order to improve, you dismiss everything saying you're not smart enough or you can't read (???) or that you're too lazy, etc.
hey that's my posting style! hes stealing my shit

i do but on the bus is just plain lazy
it's for resampling and a "weird" delay when needed

on the bus is lazy? Can you elaborate what you're trying to say. Im confused if you mean putting grain delay on a drum break sample or like a bunch of one shots compiled into a drum bus. What is lazy?

Wait you just use looped breaks?
The way that you said it made it sound like you just threw a grain delay on a drum bus, which I consider lazy "weird" as one would consider beat repeat or glitch 2 etc on any bus lazy glitch

How do I make my mixes sound this good youtube.com/watch?v=Kp7eSUU9oy8

Tfw want to get into electronic/synth shit and inventing effects and experiment on the Daw but your not a neet nerd with much free time

I know the little weird trick that gives you a good mix, the guy who taught me told me to never tell any Brazilian, so I can't tell you. Sorry.

Doing that requires less time than getting good at playing guitar.

that awful snare ruins everything

it takes about the same time

That's if you want to get REALLY good at sound design.
To become decent enough to make your own sounds and have fun exploring synths and whatnot takes a month max, as long as you spend the first few days learning how things work.
Hell, you can go through Syntorial in a day or two and be decent right away (as long as you redo all modules until you get them perfectly right and do the "on your own" exercises).

instaud.io/3kOG
>rock/metal/dunno
Guitar and bass done.
Just added some more interesting drums and I reckon it's about finished now. Just gotta figure out how to make a good sounding mix.
Wish I could drum for real. Manually programming them down to the velocity of each midi note is a fucking pain in the ass and not intuitive at all.
For a retard that only picked up a guitar 2 years ago I don't think I did too terribly.

Attached: 1510833009604.jpg (300x132, 5K)

/prod/ is not for real instruments

It's also not for monkeys

/prod/ just isn't for covers of country and dadrock.

No, please dude don't go get bottomed by some black fag.
There's enough aids in the world, don't make more.

How do you always make your bass sound like ass?
Like what the fuck dude it should be one of the easiest sounds you make.

I like the drum destruction.

So, real instruments.

Are you saying the top doesn't get AIDS

how do you even get that much without destroying the bass? I can barely reach 5-6 lufs

Let's say I want to integrate "ethnic" instruments into my music, a percussive ensemble, that I will use with my drum machine. What should I do if I can't record the instrument live in my studio because I simply don't have them? Try to dig into archives and recordings to cut and separate them into samples? Or try to use music synthesis?

Ezdrummer/superior drummer always

Forgot my trip

The most realistic way to use real non-synthesized instruments is to use romplers (like Kontakt, Nexus, etc.) that have multiple samples for each way you can play a note note and can play said samples like an instrument, with articulations and everything.
But you're saying you want to use them with your drum machine (I assume you mean load the individual notes in it) so you'll have to look for sample packs that have those instruments (there are millions for all kinds of ethnic instruments, you can find them on audioz) or just look for samples on freesound.org.

Ambient techno, my magnum opus, Releasing an EP soon.

clyp.it/zje1ghad

Hope you guys like it! and tell me some feedback. It's not mastered btw.

>instaud.io/3kxR
well produced but very generic

whaat is music

the question is : can you update it to a recent version of osx?

>Releasing an EP soon.
on bandcamp?

Thanks, I will check it

>you can find them on audioz
Damn, I found exactly what I needed. Thank you!

should your drums be pitched in tune with your song?

Check the"Latin percussion"library

Yes. I always have auto tune (or equivalent) on my drums

Do you boys watch any youtube channels/read any blogs for plugin reviews?

I like it because I'm a bit of a manchild and I like all the colorful rack bits I can buy and playing with the wires.

>Drum samples are recorded with copious reverb

Attached: tobias.jpg (343x357, 59K)

No, indie jazz fusion, ethnofunk, and world music ate all welcome.
It's just that nobody here likes KISS or Perl Jam and cowboys haven't been cool in the first world since the 70s.

>auto tune (or equivalent) on my drums
Lmao doesn't this alter the timbre and transient of the drum?
Not to mention how pitch detection for short sounds is super hard to do and all implementations I've seen tend to be pretty finnicky.
Does it work well?

In the months that I've been away from prod you've improved immensely

Komplete Start is out, boys.

Attached: 1535476116462.jpg (3456x4608, 3.73M)

hey just found out about this general. here is something I just finished making - instaud.io/3kRF

What do you mean?

What the gay heck are these genres even
>muh coolness wank
My country track sounds fun, comfy, dancey

Why did you ask about pitching drums if you're already knowledgeable and opinionated about it?

I'm looking to buy a hardware synth as a toy, even though I am well aware it won't improve my ability to do anything. I've been looking at the Microbrute and Nuetron, but also the recently announced Crave. Any recommendations? Stop being an idiot and save my money instead of buying pointless toys?

I'm not the same guy you retard.

Oh how retarded I am for not seeing your trip.

You shouldn't assume the identity of Anons if you have no idea about who posted what.

a decent hardware synth WILL improve your workflow and creativity. dont go cheap and you wont be looking at softsynth VST's again. and thats a good thing

If you want a toy just to have fun, the OP-1 is widely regarded as being the most fun.
I think it's back in store if you want to buy it new, but you can always save money and get it used.

not really I just open whatever the fuck comes up when I search for a specific plugin/library

youtu.be/4BcacNcpQ3c anyone know what instrument/sample made the thing at the very beginning? I get that its got delay on it, but whats the actual sound? Feel like ive heard it before in 80s tracks

Sounds like a hit of some kind (like a woodblock or some kind of synthesized perc) repeated a few times.
The same thing with a lower perc (maybe it's the same but pitched down) that makes a scraping sound.
The whole thing has delay on it, which "mutiplies" the repeats, making the whole thing more dense.

Good recommendation, but the OP-Z is better and cheaper. These devices cannot be used for anything but making music. Very fun instruments with incredibly immediate interfaces. The OP-Z is better IMO because you're not restricted to that 4-track tape workflow, in other words, you can chain patterns and build songs in a number of different ways. They're digital though, so there's that. Presumably, the original poster wanted some analog sounding synth, and these definitely do not fit the bill. They are unabashedly digital sounding.

Still cheaper is a Gameboy with a Nanoloop or LSDJ cart. Those are cool and fun, too, though even more digital than those options above.

Attached: $(KGrHqJHJCwFDOjQ7odVBSVgkD)KqQ~~60_57.jpg (1136x845, 60K)

this, but hum out the tune and notice how the tune curves up sometimes, down sometimes, etc.

Most of the working producers I know can hum an improvised melody (or rhythm, or literally anything) over a song. once you reach the point that you're making melodies that you yourself can remember, then you're on the right track.

again, it's not needed. but if you want to drastically increase your output, then improvisation and building that muscle in your brain will put you miles ahead of your peers.

>but the OP-Z is better and cheaper
Why?
Serious question.
I thought the OP-1 was like a complete music making thing and the OP-Z was more basic but with a more advanced sequencer and video-playing capabilities.

>They're digital though, so there's that.
I misstated the facts a bit. Both the OP-1 and OP-Z act as sample players, so you can get them at least to sound analog, but as far as native sound generation is concerned, they're purely digital.

Both can be used to make complete tracks, but the workflow behind the 4-track recording concept of the OP-1 leads to more restrictions in terms of structuring and arranging music, and lends itself better to sound design, because of the overdubbing aspects of the tape. The OP-1 is likely more desirable because it samples directly, a feature the OP-Z lacks. Since I care more about making complete songs, I prefer the OP-Z.

I'd have to sell my condominium to afford an op1

the demos I see on youtube of the neutron make it seem really nice. A nuetron and a 49 or 61 key midi keyboard, so I can practice playing with both hands, seems like it would be a nice little package to get

For analog hardware synths how helpful is it to have an oscilloscope? obviously not necessary, but does it actually help or just something youtubers and DIY synth people have?

>Both can be used to make complete tracks, but the workflow behind the 4-track recording concept of the OP-1 leads to more restrictions in terms of structuring and arranging music, and lends itself better to sound design, because of the overdubbing aspects of the tape. The OP-1 is likely more desirable because it samples directly, a feature the OP-Z lacks. Since I care more about making complete songs, I prefer the OP-Z.
Cool, thanks for the insight.

Oh, the OP-1 is also bigger (more ergonomic as an instrument by itself) and has a pretty screen. You don't need the screen at all for the OP-Z, it really is that immediate, but the input buttons on the OP-Z and its overall size is definitely not for everyone!

>I'd have to sell my condominium to afford an op1
They're pretty small and easy to steal if you know to hang out around the right circles.

so i take it you have a mixtape coming out then

>so i take it you have a mixtape coming out then
Not yet, but it is something I'm planning in the near future.
I wish I wasn't so retarded because I would've already made it by now.
FUCK.

you dont need to be smart to write rap lyrics

being retarded doesn't help either.

forgot to link song youtu.be/SEyCaLnhX7Q?t=86

That's not me, stop impersonating me

I wish I could write clever funny shit like him though.

The Komplete Start free bundle thing that Native Instruments announced they would release in february is now out.

Like said, a good melody is based on: Motif (a small musical idea) that is expanded upon by a call and response. Or what one can call "question and answer"

Here's a simple way to make a decent melody: Pick a scale. I'd recommend C major, although A Minor is fine too. Start by making a small melody that comprises on one or two bars. Start with these general guidelines. You can deviate from them as you wish:

> Start with a basic rhythm. Think of one in your head and play your notes with this rhythm. If your head generates a quarter note, then eighth note, for example, go with that.
> Start with your root note. If you chose C Major, your first note should be C.
> Then pick another note. Assuming you pick C Major, go with D, E, F, or A. (avoid G and B for now)
> After you pick any of these notes, you are free to either go back to C, or play around between these notes.
> If you choose several non- C notes, you will eventually have to return to C. This is to reinforce the scale of C Major.
> Congrats, you have created a basic "call" or "question" phrase.

Now to make your "answer"

> Make a 2nd rhythm that is slightly different from the one you made before.
> Start with your root again. Then pick several notes from the key of C again, barring G and B.
> Towards the end of your phrase, it's advised to throw in your G and B. These notes are fundamental to harmony, and what one may call "leading tones". They are the strongest and most interesting notes. Pick these notes in coincidence to the rhythm changes you made to make them stand out more.
> Then after you've picked these strong notes, go back to C.
> You will notice the feeling of "tension" and "release" that is fundamental to good melody.

This is a very crude approach to making melody. Don't use it as law, but as a general guideline. By doing this, it will hopefully demonstrate how an effective melody is made and how it sounds.

Agree.
The music I make by clicking the notes into the piano roll sucks, even if I use theory and rules that are supposed to help making it sound good.
But the music I make by simply humming something as it comes, without thinking about ANYTHING at all, sound a million times better and I made my best songs this way.

I don't instruments but I imagine that people who do can "pour" music out the same way, except with their fingers.

Look at any video of musicians improvising and you'll see their brains do this very easily.
This example of a musician improvising on a famous beat comes to mind:
youtube.com/watch?v=vRlPAV6bis0

Also I have this WiP here, feedback would be appreciated, as I struggle to make a good section around the 1:13 mark.

clyp.it/oc0pakjb

It's no impossible, but it is significuntly less likely as long as you don't have any open wounds on your sick and/or used a condom.

Pleasing noises. Any further description is overcomplication.

You forgot your trip and no it doesn't.

What cheaper midi controller do you guys recommend for sampling? Is this good? Can I play the buttons on this like an mpc or should i get the MPK Mini? The MPK Mini only has 8 button things, is that limiting in any way? I don't know shit about sampling, I've just been making sample based beats on logic pro and avoiding actually using the sampler, and I need to tackle that. Is it dumb to use this with Logic?

I think I'd rather get something with a keyboard than an mpc, so I can figure out basic theory shit, and I don't have any other physical equipment atm so a keyboard is more versatile. But I also wanna chop samples like a madman.

Attached: MMM.jpg (691x444, 43K)

i didnt use a condom and now im taking shitty hiv meds for a month

clyp.it/lft4k4yp

First time actually sitting down and trying to make a full song other than just fucking around, almost complete!

>clyp.it/oc0pakjb
Bass needs to sit more in the bass register, and highs need to sit more in the highs. Everything is sitting in the low and high mids.

Could use some more dynamics, it all kinda just goes on without any direction. (remember the human ear can only tell differences in 3db increments. So fading the ending of a portion or before the "drop" by 3db is the easiest way to make your next section bigger.

>What cheaper midi controller do you guys recommend for sampling?
More pads the better. Also quality of pads.

The alesis have really nice feeling keys (for the price) but cheap shitty pads. The MPK mini has cheap shitty keys and okay pads.

>Is this good
For the most part you get what you pay for, those are really small pads and harder to perform with.

>Can I play the buttons on this like an mpc or should i get the MPK Mini?

Yes it's just a midi controller, they're just buttons you can assign, you can sample with just the keys on your keyboard too

>The MPK Mini only has 8 button things, is that limiting in any way

if you're dead set on using pads as opposed to keys+pads for your samples, and you need more than 8 samples to trigger then yes.

I've just been making sample based beats on logic pro and avoiding actually using the sampler, and I need to tackle that. Is it dumb to use this with Logic?

It's all about workflow, lots of electronic music and pop music has been done on logic. It's the industry standard for a reason, however alot of people opt for DAW's that are more designed around electronic/hiphop. ie: FL studio and Ableton. You can do anything on any DAW if you know it inside out and dont mind getting some vsts. Hell you can make an IDM ep on reaper.

>I think I'd rather get something with a keyboard than an mpc, so I can figure out basic theory shit, and I don't have any other physical equipment atm so a keyboard is more versatile. But I also wanna chop samples like a madman.

This is your best bet, a keyboard will be able to sample things. IF you want to actually play it out live, if you want to just write and produce music just chop up the samples in your daw and click and drag into the timeline my son, then you can have full 100% control over it. Also, learn theory before anything else. Grab a real piano and start to learn how to play properly and learn how intervals interact within a scale, learn harmony, circle of 5ths etc.

what is a nice midi keybaord with 5 pin midi and not just usb, and full size keys? or does someone sell a compact device that takes in usb midi and can output on a 5 pin?

thanks.

>Like what the fuck dude it should be one of the easiest sounds you make.
I used a sub from a drumkit and then put in mono cause last time I used the sub and put in stereo it sounded terrible when I heard it without headphones. None of that really explains why my bass consistently sounds like shit though.

So im finally starting to write for my band
But i need to be the vocal
So how do I learn how to sing?What are good resources for it?

Attached: kirby mike.png (2827x2420, 2.34M)

a teacher.

Attached: vocals.png (1490x3378, 573K)

sweet, what's this from?

Thank you, it's a good material
I'm looking more for autodidacticism but thanks anyway

how should i teach myself piano? i have a weighted keyboard in my room and can read music with effort. i'm a pretty skilled baritone but if i ever wanna perform something there's the issue of being a jackass with a backing track rather than playing lieder or something of that nature myself. any online resources? thanks

It's kind of a good thing to get your ideas out there. I used to work 12 hours a day 6 days a week and would have like 4 hours tops to do music. It kinda got me out of a writer's block since I was forced to just throw my ideas out there no matter how stupid, weird, or wacky they were.

dunno I saw it posted here once

this

>when someone tells you your mix is shit and you need to practice

if you wanna learn it more on your own it's best just to find a place to sing and stuff to sing to. learn to sing in the style of whatever genre you're interested in, that should be the biggest thing taking conscious effort, like when singing classical having tall vowels is a big deal. but you're singing in a band so luckily it'll be pretty loose and free. just develop your voice naturally and make a sound you think is good - that's how i learned without any teacher. good luck user

This is actually pretty solid advice. I'll play around more with volume dynamics.

instaud.io/3kX4

I used to come here as a beginner a few years back
I only shitpost here now because I realized 95% of you have no clue about anything music making related
The blind leading the blind

>instaud.io/3kX4
work on mixing/processing your drums better as well as working on your songwriting and using that vinyl saturation more tastefully(not on the master track)

lmao I know the feel. I've been taught by some pretty amazing producers and teachers. Coming here is mainly for shits n laughs. Sometimes the critiques are hilarious, so smug yet they're giving the exact opposite of good advice. Also I do find alot of people get really jealous when you post something that's better than they could do, so they try their best to poke holes. Proof being: Check the replies to this post, it's going to be seething people who feel attacked almost guarantee.

why not help us if you know better

he can't, he's roleplaying

Too busy working on my own stuff
All I have to say is learn the basic technical skills for producing after that start working on songwriting, use your ears, if you need to learn theory to even make music you're never gonna make it.
Never stop learning but always take everything with a pinch of salt. Make your own way.
Don't be afraid to break the rules and use your gut feeling/instinct 99% of the time

>if you need to learn theory to even make music you're never gonna make it.

Attached: 1541060485894.jpg (394x394, 189K)

clyp.it/xadgnfsm

tryna keep it... minimal

based the marcus saving the thread once again

well, thanks, but what do you think of the beat

i agree that this general is useless and full of bitter faggots but you're clearly trollin doggo

I'm not but whatever. Goodbye and remember to FINISH YOUR SONGS

>break the rules
>but not by studying and actually knowing those rules
>just ignorantly, totally in the dark and through brute force
LARPing as a Pro on /prod/, of all places. Don't you have some 808s to EQ?

as predicted, like clockwork

i meant from the advice against theory purely, not the nature of your post, though obviously it's easier to fare in certain genres without it

>neverending stream of lost causes
>general hostility toward being told to do things in any "proper" way
>constantly questioned and having to explain to people why you know better than them
>thankless job
>takes time away from your own music

why the fuck would anybody do that ever

it's like someone who's really sad and a bit depressed but still tries to act like everything is totally ok and normal

rate
instaud.io/3kY2

That's a really interesting and elaborate description, thanks. I didn't do that on purpose but I guess it fits.
I got told that one of my other older beats feels like seeing your ex move on with a new man after you just broke up, I don't remember how I made that one though, and I've never had a girlfriend.

thats me trying to record rocking songs. my rocking self was buried alive, now im an omega male

>rate
bad

but i am touched by the fact that you would dedicate a song to your trans waifu sam. i'm glad that even if though you're such an asshole you're excepting of other people

why is it bad
its a cover of a shitty Gene Simmons track and i have nobody to dedicate it to i think

>why is it bad
i would try to help you but you would get mad and call me deaf

nobody? really? creo que buscaste su amor :(((

i've been writing these short ambient loop songs and they feel done but i feel kind of off that they're like 1-2 minutes usually even though the songs i use for inspiration are about that too ://///

i dont need a lover, everybody is a snake trying to fool you

>why is it bad

HOW is it bad? It sounds like a really bad busker who you'd pay to leave the area.

WHY is it bad? Because you put no care into anything you do.

wtf i sang with care

Frame of reference, Sammy. Your concept of care is not a high enough level of care to convince others who are looking for more.

And that comment is coming from a /prod/lodyte - most of our stuff is shit and we still think your stuff is worse. You can't even impress *us*.

What's annoying is that (and I've said this to you a fuckton over the months, more than a year at this point) you can play guitar better than I can, you can sing better than I can, but you sound like you're not trying.

Care more, Sammy.

>you can play guitar better than I can, you can sing better than I can, but you sound like you're not trying.

fuck i never even realized how much this annoyed me

like he's definitelly a better guitar player than i am too and then i listen to his shit and it's all out of time and just has random ass mistakes left in like???

This is not the right thread but there is not "music making general" so I'll ask here for now.
I've come across this band, "Until the Ribbon Breaks", and found it interesting that they use many clips from movies in their music videos. I was wondering what the legal status of that is. Can I do it too?
The way I see it, there are probably just 3 options:
1) They did it without permit. It is not legal. It's just up because they haven't taken it down yet.
2) They did it without permit. It is legal, though, some kind of artistic fair use. If so, what conditions must be met so that it is considered fair use?
3) They did it by asking first, and paying the demanded price. Unlikely, I guess, and it would probably cost millions.
Now that I remember POGO does the same: youtube.com/user/Fagottron

It seems like a relatively cheap way to get now visuals for your music, but I'm wondering how legal it is.

Forgot to post screenshot and video example: youtube.com/watch?v=Aqv2xlstdM4

Attached: is this legal.jpg (1273x733, 64K)

Fair use is for comment, criticism or parody. This is just visual sampling and therefore needs to be cleared or it can be taken down by copyright holders.

where the fuck have you been that you haven't witnessed this become a huge legal issue in the public eye during the past few years?

of course it's not legal

I see.
So if you make money from that they probably will ask for a cut, if not 100% of the revenue. I guess those guys just got lucky

I'm literally shaking rn.