Trout Mask Replica BTFO

Stop liking a meme.

Attached: IMG_9430.jpg (750x1191, 242K)

I think it sounds good

>music nerd
>never listened to tmr

>calls himself a music need unironically
>found this album through a Vox video in 2019
>can't even find a single actual reason why this album is supposed to be bad so he writes this incoherent gibberish to hide the fact that he obviously has strong negative feelings about it without even being able to formulate a single reason why he holds this opinion
Imagine my surprise that he rates it 1/10.

Attached: 1528156094059.gif (503x705, 360K)

Listen to Moonlight on Vermont onwards

Has to be bait.

Why. Does he talk. Like this. Is he. Genuinely. That. Mad?

not this shit again

>it's another episode of based music nerd The_Grunger triggering virgin pseuds
Based

its actually another episode of some faggot screeching
>STOP LIKING SOMETHING I DONT LIKE
see you again tomorrow, faggot

i mean, calling yourself a music nerd and then finding this album through Vox is pretty pseud

also
based

More like
>stop pretending to like some objective garbage just to sound cool
>calling yourself a music nerd
If you're really a music nerd, nothing wrong with it.
>finding this album through a ultra famous YouTube video, with millions of views is pseud
Based retard

I just said I liked how it sounds :c

yes, that is exactly what i said, it is pseud

some faggots feel better about them selves if they (You) the entire thread, dont worry too much about it

um. based

It is not a "masterpiece", but it is also not a bunch of lol random crap as this person has assessed. The first time I heard it, it sounded like a crazy person ranting while a bunch of people played random things in the background. The second time, years later, I realized this wasn't the case. It is full of interesting ideas, and can change the way you think about music.

feel better?

dont fucking kid yourself, your first impression was spot on

>>finding this album through a ultra famous YouTube video, with millions of views is pseud

this is the definition of lowbrow basedboy cuckshit

Yea you don't, stop pretending
Based retard
It's bad on purpose. Safe as Milk is listenable, for example.

album sounds like what a hobo burp smells like

How is finding an album by a popular media a bad thing? That would be "I found this ''''''great'''''' album on an obscure site lol"

I feel so happy for truly enjoying TMR. I feel blessed. I don't even know what's so inaccessible about it. It's just a blues album with weird/uncommon songwriting.

Attached: 1479525946800.jpg (985x1000, 432K)

>I feel happy for pretending to enjoy an objectively shit album so I can get some wacky Yea Forums and rym reputation xD
This is your brain on autism

personally, I dont like beefheart much. I think he tried to hard to outweird zappa
but that said, i think its far more autistic to screech bullshit at people who like something you dont.
just a thought

no, it just annoys faggots like you

only big time cucks consume "popular media" my dude.

>>Yea Forums reputation
Are you really that retarded
Checkem and
Hoes out

>I don't even know what's so inaccessible about it.

Atonality, and general lack of traditional musical values. As in, the role of singing for example. People are used to singing or the human voice being used as an instrument and usually aspire to some form of beauty or pleasantness, but Beefheart uses his vocals as like an atonal narration with gritty and rough edge.

Rap does this as well, but with rap the vocals are more explicitly tied to the rhythm. Since the rhythms are "all over the place" in TMR, it makes the voice sound like a sporadic kind of randomness. Again contrary to the usual "structured" or tight musical form people expect.

A sense of melody for most people IS essentially what constitutes the "song". So it's unclear what you would even call the tracks. Since they aren't songs as such. They're like arrangements of atonal jams with narration.

So if you like sporadic arrangements of atonal jams with narration, you will find TMR very accessible. it's like the sonic equivalent of discord and only breaks into a harmonious balance occasionally

>Checkem and
>Hoes out
BASED

Attached: DwmgmcPXcAAv2NP.jpg (600x600, 41K)

>atonality
Not a single track on this album is atonal.

Interesting perspective. I'm not particularly a Beefheart fan because his music doesn't grab me emotionally in the way most music I consider great does. But I do understand the hoopla over his shit. Everyone who naively says it sounds like poorly executed nonsense is missing the point entirely. It's methodically worked out and very precisely executed music. To the point where the band all lived in the same house with him under practically cult-like conditions. If you want to criticize the music you could claim it's a pretty decent example of someone roping a bunch of very skilled musicians into realizing an expression of his particular flavor of mental illness. Personally when I want to hear the sound of brain damage I listen to Syd Barrett. But there's a big difference between Barrett and Van Vliet. I find Barrett's work charming, even though it suffers from diminished competence as a result of his illness. While I don't see the charm of Van Vliet's work one thing it does not suffer from is lack of competence. It's a very well executed expression of one man's eccentric vision. I think that's what attracts people to it. It's very rare to hear something that far out so precisely realized. The only thing you can compare it to is Zappa, who ended up working with him at one point. It's a real outsider perspective. But unlike many outsider perspectives it's not poorly done. It's nothing like Shaggs level incompetence. Instead it's the sound of a lot of very competent players lining up behind a vision that just happens to be beyond what most folks would consider too out there to bother with. I think that's the appeal, even though it's not my jam.

i like this album and i don't think you're wrong about that being the appeal to a good extent

i'll add that zappa and beefheart were actually childhood friends so they influenced each other quite a bit more than just eventually working together as you say. zappa also recorded/produced TMR itself

>finding out about TMR through that Vox video
Imagine knowing this little about music

is this lad trolling?

Attached: 1546855638349.png (1290x392, 65K)

>writing a review of a piece of art based on first impressions after not even listening to the whole thing
yikes

Zappa and Van Vliet were both artists who had the confidence to methodically execute a precise vision that they knew would be lost on the masses. But they did it anyway because that's just who they were. I think Zappa had the kipper app in that regard because he worked his sense of humor into his music which increased its appeal. If you make people laugh they're less likely to be put off by how weird your music is. I think what puts people off Beefheart is that it's so out there and so seriously done. There's no punchlines to relieve the listener's stress of trying to appreciate something that far away from the norm.

wow you're so full of shit. you dont even understand the meaning of the words you're using.

I don't hear this so much in his singing. To me it just sounds like a mentally ill Howlin' Wolf fan.