I'm tarded so explain this to me please. Why does everyone claim the universe is infinite? Nothing is infinite...

I'm tarded so explain this to me please. Why does everyone claim the universe is infinite? Nothing is infinite, it can't be! Nothing can go on for forever. There has to be an end somewhere! Then again, if so, what would that end be? A "wall"? What's behind the wall? and beyond that?! There has to be an end, but what would an end be??

Help please, I can't sleep until this is solved...

Attached: 14040036692.jpg (729x463, 40K)

Proving the universe is infinite is about as pointless and proving the existence of god.

The universe is ever expanding as proved by Stephen Hawking. There are things that are infinite though. Such as mathematics.

The people who say it's infinite are either people who don't know what they're talking about or are comparing it's size to what would be relatively infinite to the average human

There are no answers to the questions you are asking. If I wanted to make stuff up I could say the universe is a large bubble and there is nothing beyond It, which is a fairly prominent theory. Well then what’s beyond that bubble? Nothing that’s it.

here you go my dude

the universe is finite, but the edges, it is believed, are expanding at the speed of light. Space itself is expanding also (at bit trickier to imagine, but visualize a square sheet of latex being stretched.

anyhoo - you can't reach 'the wall' because you cannot travel the speed of light.

The universe is believed to have possibly started with a 'big bang' where things were more dense and distances were smaller, so it's not 'infinite' at all but modern reckoning, but also we can't see beyond a certain 'horizon' of distance because of the speed of light issue and the extreme vastness of space, so it's more accurate to say it's goes beyond our view rather than it's actually infinite.

does that help?

What if other Universes are beyond that?

We only comprehend in 3-D. It isnt enough to understand the universe

Expendanding into something that eventually must have a limit somehow. If something is growing, it must have room to do so. What is that space? Where does it end? How does it end?

There are not. But if there was space beyond It there would be space beyond It. If I had a tiger in my room there would be a tiger in my room.

>Nothing is infinite, it can't be!
Wrong! Time is infinite. And according to the theory of relativity spacetime is one thing. So if 1 component of spacetime is infinite it would be much more unusual if the other components of the space would be finite

Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman had an episode covering just this. Was good, check it out. In short it's an impossible question to answer. Theres a lot of theories about the edges of space, but just that; theories, because we don't know.

This guy is not dumb. 1 thing to consider is infinity is relative and only possible theoretically

what if the thing that growing is more room

Time is not infinite.
The 4th dimension is potentially infinite, if the rest of space is infinite (which we have no way of knowing).
Time is our perception of our movement through the 4th dimension, nothing more. It's an illusion created by your mind to give you a frame of reference.

Why does that matter the same concept can still apply

There are many things that are infinite, for example take the wave functions that describe the superposition in quantum mechanics, they are continuous functions, meaning between any two points in space there are infinitely many points you could pick (actually it’s uncountable infinite positions, so even more than regular infinite many)

Example: take a distance, half it. Half it again and again and so on. With every step you compute a new position which is none of the positions you got before.

So if there are infinitely many positions between any two points, why should there be a Maximum position?

That does help, and thanks for the explanation, but just because we cannot travel at the speed of light or see beyond the "horizon", doesn't mean there isn't an answer out there. If space is expanding, it's expanding into "something", right? What is "something" ?

why is the 4th dimension anymore infinite than any of the smaller dimension? I do recognize there are bigger and smaller infinities.

kinda worded weirdly sorry.

The 4th dimension is very similar to the 3 that we are familiar with.

We are 4th dimensional creatures. We are capable of fully comprehending and moving through 3 of those dimensions, which is the physical space that you see around you. Forward/back, up/down, left/right; x, y, and z.

Time is the 4th dimension. It is another 'direction' to move in, but we have a limited ability to move in the 4th dimension; we can ONLY move in ONE direction in this dimension. Imagine if you could ONLY move forward along the X axis of physical space, and it was impossible for you to go backwards. That's what it's like for us to move through the 4th dimension.

We constantly move through the 4th dimension unconsciously as a function of our sanity, as to 'stand still' would result in a cessation of consciousness; our brains need to move and change to perceive, and as time is the measurement of change, if we were to 'stand still', we would be unchanging and thus unconscious.

Now, to answer your question: As the 4th dimension is similar to the 3 Physical dimensions, it shares the same proportionality. We do not know if space (the 3 dimensions) are infinite, as we can only observe to a limited degree, but if they are, then the 4th dimension must by consequence be infinite as well, as it relies on the change inherent in the 3 dimensions to be perceived.

The universe doesn't have an 'edge', space itself is expanding faster than the speed of light through some unknown means (dark matter/dark energy) so even if you could move at the speed of light you still couldn't reach 'the wall' since the space itself is expanding and infinitely accelerating.

>As the 4th dimension is similar to the 3 Physical dimensions,
How and why? I mean at face value this seems compeletely unintuitive. Take Newton’s laws of motion they clearly state that the movement through the other 3 dimensions are dependent by the 4th dimension (you can’t move without time passing), and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing that can move through time in any other direction than we do. But there are many things that we know can move through the other 3 dimensions (as all things we know are governed by the law of actio and reactio, which implies a one way time)

So if you tell me that te 4th dimension is similar to the other 3, you need very good reasons to convince me

Not him but E=mcsquared. The speed of light is what makes time relative to speed

In the sense it's ever expanding. Once you get to the end it gets a new end etc. Don't worry too much about it. You'll never know

the end of the universe is a wall of void but the universe expands at such a high speed you would need a encredablly fast ship to get to it the end would be 4 to stop existing