Can anybody here tell me how the hell do i connect this to a wall outlet?

Can anybody here tell me how the hell do i connect this to a wall outlet?

I asked my dad to be on the lookout for a power strip while he was out at the swap meet and he brought me home this thing. It only cost him $8 but i have no idea how to hook this thing up. what do i buy in order to be able to just hook it up to a wall and provide power to my things?

Attached: 1.jpg (1621x3216, 1.6M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YqSf6wW9C5g
homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-ft-4-Prong-30-Amp-Dryer-Cord-98246/307638958
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/499769-REG/Middle_Atlantic_PDT_2X1015_PDT_2X1015_15_Amp_PDT_Thin.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Read the manual

there's a video but it doesnt explain much.
youtube.com/watch?v=YqSf6wW9C5g

if you have a multimeter everything can be made clear by measurement. presumably, you attach the whites together to the neutral on an extension cord, then the black and red together to the live, and green to green.

I have to guess grey and red are for a switch. don't need a switch? just put wire nuts on them, connect green ground, black hot, white neutral, and see if it works. if not play around with the wiring until it works. plug into another power strip with a switch if you want to be safe.

This is a 2 circuit power strip.
Black and white are #1 with red receptacle
Red and grey are #2 with orange receptacle

You can simply hook up black/red to the hot lead and white/grey to the common lead and green to ground to have all of them active.

Other wise you would need to power cables to use all of them.

Attached: middle-atlantic-pdt.jpg (400x266, 18K)

what kind of power cord do i buy to connect it to?
something like this?

I literally dont know anything about electrical wiring.

homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-ft-4-Prong-30-Amp-Dryer-Cord-98246/307638958

Attached: everbilt-appliance-extension-cords-98246-64_1000.jpg (1000x1000, 54K)

just cut up any 3-wire cable, like the ones from an old computer. the thicker the better.
you can get 16-gauge cables for air conditioners at the dollar store. those are plenty heavy-duty.
the cables for driers wont fit your power receptacle.

see that metal thing in the pic. that's a strain relief, so you can pass the cable inside the box thru on of those pop-out holes without nicking it.

Attached: cut-up 3-wire power cord.jpg (784x576, 35K)

So cut open some unused 3wire cable and hook up the Grey and red to the hot lead and the white and grey to the common lead and green to the ground?

im just a little confused since mine has 4 cables + the ground and everything i see like your pic only has 2 wires and the ground.

Lmao for 8 bucks you coulda had enough to buy a power strip and grab a meal at wendys on your way out

white and black to common lead

yo dude. i’m an electrician. let me help you out

fuck ofd. this fag is trying to get you hurt

the cable will have white black and green.
green -> green
black -> black + red
white -> white + off-white

use wire nuts, the 3 plastic doo-dads in the pic above.

yeah but this one has 20 outlets which is what i wanted.

this thing costs $228 new.

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/499769-REG/Middle_Atlantic_PDT_2X1015_PDT_2X1015_15_Amp_PDT_Thin.html

yeah, he’s right.

that seems easy enough. thanks!

you need to have the proper amount of circuits to feed this then if your intent was to actually hook up lots of stuff. a 15 amp circuit is good for 12. add up the wattage or amperage of devices you will plug in.. power (watts) / voltage = amperage. so that helps you figure out what you’re capable of. 1440w in theory is the max allowed before you could trip a 15 amp breaker

Electric fag her..should be fine splicing black to black white to white on w.e cord you attach it to. If that doesnt work splice the red and black to black and white to white....green to green always

well yeah, im just using it on my desk to hook up my pc and a couple of other things. I wont be using all of them at the moment or probably ever, but id like to have them handy if i ever do need them.

so youre saying that if i do actually want to use all the outlets, i cant just simply plug this thing into my normal wall outlet or it might trip?

yeah man, 12 amps max usage on a 15 amp circuit, no matter how you slice it

if you're using normal equipment, you never have to worry about power. i have all my computer and audio/video stuff on one outlet (about 20 diff items) and the wattmeter hardly ever reaches 300W (out of 1800 max).

as long as you're not using heaters, hair-dryers, air-conditioners, just dont worry about it.

a decent pc’s power supply can be pretty decent-sized too man.. plugging in little accessories here and there won’t trip it for sure.. unless you know what all he’s gonna have going don’t make assumptions.

So how would i go about using this thing if i cant have all of the outlets working?

only connect the black and white instead of red/back white/offwhite?

my pic says its 15amps

Attached: 324.jpg (667x846, 52K)

The cool thing about your device is that if you *had* two house circuits running through this wall, you could tap into both by using the blk/wht on one set of house wires and red/gry on the other. Then you'd have the full use of this strip.
Power strips new that plug into a wall outlet are cheaper and easier. Why didn't you go that route?

im only plugging in my PC, a clock, my AVR, my router, my monitor, and a lamp. If i do eevr add anything itll probably be a 475 watt subwoofer and a vacuum cleaner every once in a while.

if there are electrical guys here, maybe you can help me. i have a projector that uses these LED chips. the whole projector uses 90w of power, and the actual chip is hard to pin down. the company sells the exact one to be soldered on inside for like $40 but i can find them on ali for like $5. they last forever, can run 12+ hours a day, but if i could find one that would work, i'd be happy. if a projector was already sort of designed to use about 100w max, and i got a nice 70-80w chip, do you suppose it would probably be safe? other than that, it probably uses a few watts for its circuit board/logic and little fan and ends up be about 90w total usage by my killawatt. if you can't help, i'm going to a hackathon and i'll ask the hardware hacker experts from the defense contractors. they're electrical engineers with PhDs and shit.

Attached: wtqtdc1521791851784.jpg (384x384, 27K)

well actually i do have 2 wall outlets on the wall im planing to use this closest to. this is an old picture, but i have the wall outlet you see in this picture and then i have another one behind the TV.

Attached: 20180729_224421.jpg (3264x1836, 1.13M)

all i want to do is plug my OP pic into the wall and have it under my desk and be able to use the outlets whenever i want without having to worry about anything.

Doesn't mean they're different circuits. Typically a whole room is on one.