CS major here, should I even bother making a resume for an internship if it's just going to make me look bad...

CS major here, should I even bother making a resume for an internship if it's just going to make me look bad? I have huge gaps on my transcript and one of the schools I attended, I have a GPA of 1.4. The school I attend now though it's 3.0. Do I just apply without a resume?

Attached: 1563859832044.jpg (793x786, 48K)

Sell drugs, I dunno.

Attached: wpid-photo-20150804001125738.jpg (1698x1131, 214K)

Why would I sell drugs?

Make.
Shit.
Up.

Man, fuck it's not that hard.

You're just getting past the retard in HR

Make up what though?

Don't use the old schools you don't like in your resume. If they ask for a transcript, only give the ones you like. If they ask for others, don't lie, give it to them, then realize that job is done for and try for another place.

Do not lie! Just don't tell all the truth.

i dropped out thrice, took me 12 years to finally graduate and i was unemployed for 5 years. making six figures in my drug dealer's uncle's company now. nepotism gets shit done.

Keep your resume short, 1 page just the front. Go to a print shop and get the nice paper and ink, make sure it looks good. When they ask you about gaps, just say that you kept things short and only hit on the important points. If they ask you anything specifically, make up some slick reasoning for it that isn't technically a lie. I did this and the guy interviewing me said that he liked how I didn't puff up my resume with random crap and submit a binder. Might not work for you though since I was applying in person and it wasn't CS related or anything.

CS graduate here. Make a project, deploy it online and send them the link and github repo to show what your skills are. Much more informative for them to see what you're worth instead of something stupid like gpa

That was the plan but I realized that my transcript will show transfer credits. Do I just stick with this and just hope they don't ask for the other transcript?

Okay? Was there a point to this faggy story?

Yeah the problem though is that I have basically nothing to put on there. Other than my name and the school I attend. I don't have any experience.

I wanted to make a project over this past summer but I never committed to it. I feel like now that I'm in school again it's too late.

Do something small and easy and just put it up. Something as simple as a to-do list application or a four function calculator or a basic website you designed that has some shit on it. Small projects you can shit out quickly are better than larger ones you will never complete. At the very least it shows that you didn't buy your degree and won't fail when asked to program Fizzbuzz or some shit

You didn't have a project you did for a class? Nothing like a tic-tac-toe computer person who wins/draws every game, or some small SQL database, or some simple TCP server in C? Put down the stuff you did in class and label it in the "Project" section of your resume.

I guess I'll try to hack something together over the winter break. Thing is I wanted to start applying now. After this semester I only need 2 classes in the spring for an associate's, so I was thinking either go part time and do internship or wait till the summer and take 4 classes in the spring.

I've done stuff for my classes but nothing interesting. Most of them were pretty basic.

You can hack that shit together starting today. It really doesn't take much effort. Also, pirate some books on whatever language you're looking to get good at and start going through them to supplement what you're doing in your classes (Yea Forums's sticky has a guide on pirating books iirc)

say that you programmed windows from scratch with bill gates.

Hahahahaha hahahaha you retard

Not really, between classes and studying and all the other stuff I have to do. I don't want to start it and then not do anything for weeks and possible forget what I was trying to do.

What?

>Most of them were pretty basic.
Elaborate. Say what you've done. C'mon you can't just say you've only learned the syntax of programming languages and your classes called it good. You must have written a singly linked list or some tic tac toe thing, that's pretty standard for like CS 101 classes yeah. Say what you've done, dont care if you say it here but at least on your damn resume. Go back on your programs and see what you've done. You used Linux to type the program? Write that shit down. How about Visual Basic or Eclipse? That too.

Like just basic textbook-tier stuff, like "write a class that simulates a calculator", shit like that. I did do a major project in one of my classes but that was like 5 years ago and I don't remember what it was. Other than that most of what I know, programming wise is from doing practice problems from books.

Well, spend your time writing some good programs. It's Yea Forums you should expect it being rude.

If you haven't written a single program except one 5 years ago, you'll be useless at an internship.

I only know lower-level stuff, like Verilog and C, but here's a very useful link for network programming: beej.us/guide/bgnet

Other than that, go to gen.lib.rus.ec and start downloading textbooks for other programs.

How would I be useless? Isn't the whole point of an internship to learn on the job?

You're not learning how to program. You're learning how to follow standards of programming and how to work with version control in a large company. You should already know how to program and do the "tricky" stuff like getting the algorithm to work. They aren't a national lab, so you're not going there to work on new algorithms -- they want the job done and have it done properly.

Last post here and getting back on topic.

Make your resume clean and don't lie. If you don't lie and you work hard at the internship (+40 hours) you'll get a job offer, unless you got an internship at SpaceX or some shit. Get some meat in your resume by explaining the programs you've written. Actually write them... you're before an associates, you should have plenty of free time to do this along side school, 'specially since you don't have a part time job. I wouldn't recommend a part time job if you can spare the money and only aim for that internship, then go for part time jobs after the internship. Once you get your first one, you're pretty set.
Another thing -- ask your friends and family to ask around their work if there's any internship position available. You really need an in on this, seriously. It sucks, but you need it. Good luck, have fun.

Thanks for the advice user