Did humans invent math or did we simply discover it?

Did humans invent math or did we simply discover it?

Attached: realistic-math-chalkboard-background_23-2148163817.jpg (626x417, 107K)

invented it. just like we did everything else. Language, religion, reading, etc

White people invented math.

We discovered it. Prove me wrong

Discover.
Math exists before and after humans and are ever existing and never changing.

Attached: 41pPaDLxEcL.jpg (399x500, 17K)

It was discovered you fucking idiots

The greatest discovery of man is the discovery of mathematics.

Both. We invented a method for perceived phenomenon.
Sometimes we get it wrong and have to make exceptions to our formulas: hence why M-Theory is such a big deal.
On occasion though I think we stumble across absolute truths: such as pi, Pythagorean's theorem, etc... Other times we get it wrong ie theory of relativity in addition to Newtonian Calculus.

I know you’re trying to sound smart, but you are absolutely failing

>did Thomas Jefferson invent lightning?

Maths is bullshit, there is nothing to count... Fields are the formation of matter and fields are not particles nor waves nor any thing.

Discovered.
It's an essential property of mathematics that they exist forever and they are correct always.
Therefore they get discovered.
All mathematicians say I discovered a theorem, etc.

Spotted the atheist physics dropout

First of all fuck you
Ty for your polite input.
Egyptians *

I'm pretty sure some *lopithecus had an idea of 1+1 before that.

>Egyptians
LMAO
They discovered shit.
Mathematics was discovered by Greeks and only Greeks.

Attached: archimides-57ee40053df78c690f9b47a4.jpg (768x944, 154K)

Good book! I think this is a stupid question though.

What math represents has always existed.
Humans using math is our interpretation of that.

math is a language. people create languages

Humans? Some birds of prey can add and subtract. And chimps. Humans merely stole it from the animal kingdom soon after Prometheus gave us fire.

Math is created by humans to aid in understanding the world.

You guys are fucking dumb.

Attached: 1349286271592.jpg (612x612, 36K)

*Sumerians. Greeks just followed suit

>I think this is a stupid question though
It's not.
Math immutability is essential.
It's what makes them elegant and true.
>pic very related
>hint: Euclid's 5th axiom
>hint: Thales theorem
>hint: Axiom of Choice

Attached: proof-of-sum-of-angles-of-triangle.png (252x148, 5K)

This

Lmao, no
Mathematics as axioms + proofs + theorems + logic was discovered by Greeks

You are dumb as bricks

Math is a language we invented to describe the reality we discovered.

It's a formula we learned over time, it already existed; we simply hadn't discovered it. All humans did was ascribe a language to it in order to understand it. So you're 50% correct

Attached: 1562480708191.jpg (540x253, 58K)

What already existed was reality. We developed math to describe that reality. Math would not exist without thinking beings.

Math is just a bunch of ideas that people find very convincing and that help us explain the world and build things. How could you possibly say that it is anything more than that.

I'll break this down so a mouth breathing retard can understand it.

Math is created by humans to better understand and communicate observations about the world. Math is a language used to describe reality (or nonsense in a lot of cases).

The things that math describes have existed before and will continue to exist after humans. Math is not the things it describes.

English is a language created by humans to understand and communicate observations about the world. You wouldn't say that English was discovered would you?

Then you should study more to see the real beauty and timelessness of mathematics

Attached: school-of-athens-raphael-detail-1.jpg (656x589, 190K)

You sound like an autist who hasnt made it past algebra

What would it be like to only speak math?

Do you think that songs are discovered rather than invented because all sequences of musical notes "already existed" before they were composed? It's the same thing.

Math is composed of arguments that are very convincing, even to experts. If you want to say that all convincing arguments already exist and are just waiting to be found... then ok. We're just using language differently.

Read Plato numbnuts
Mathematics isn't the language
The language of mathematics is a representation of something timeless
The language of mathematics change over time
But the truth remains.
That's what mathematics is all about.
You focus on language and representation and you lose what mathematics is truly about.

I have though

4th year math PhD student, but maybe next year I'll appreciate Thales theorem.

Yes, and math is a language. Be it pictograms, numbers, letters, symbols, memes, hieroglyphics, etc, using it to convey idea or meaning is language. You're correct in thinking these things would not exist without thinking beings, but in their absence the only thing that stops is the use of them, while the fundamental state of their existence stays intact. The only difference between an undiscovered truth and a discovered one is the state of being.

Attached: 1567751219347.jpg (750x600, 52K)

Some parts of mathematics were actually "invented" by humans, however some other parts were merely "discovered" by humans.
Some creatures (that evolved long before humans) have rudimentary mathematical skills that they, almost certainly, utilised (before "humans" even existed) to optimise their survival strategies.

So I think it is fair to say that humans only discovered those mathematical concepts (like "counting" and even certain aspects of "game theory") that were already being used, for their own benefit, by other creatures that predated the human species.

For sure, it can even be argued that:
plants whre using the (mathematical) "Fibonacci Series" of optimise their physical structure as they developed and evolved within the confines of the natural laws of physics.

But (in my opinion) when you look at the more advanced levels of mathematics,

e.g.
broad "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" ;
proofs regarding "transfinite numbers" ; or
Topological Forms in higher dimensions than the 4dimensional "space-time" that we can directly access via our primary "senses";
..... I think we probably have to accept that such concepts have actually been "invented" by humans in their never ending quest to rationalise their own understanding of the nature of the universe in which we live.

PhD math graduate.
I appreciated mathematics only in my last year.
Thales theorem is my favourite because it's the first theorem I noticed being expressed in different ways in seemingly unrelated fields.
That's when it clicked.

Ok lets just settle this . GOD made math boom. Now can any of you math genuises tell me how to become better at it? studying? any tricks?

I look forward to being able to appreciate Thales theorem at this level.

>Mathematics isn't the language
>The language of mathematics change over time

Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Attached: asian_nerd.jpg (205x250, 8K)

What would exist regardless is the reality we use math to describe. A thing would still be sitting next to another of that thing, but that doesn't change that we invented 1+1=2. We invented math to describe the reality we discovered.

Study more, library and books are your only friends.

Attached: depositphotos_197160268-stock-photo-asian-student-with-laptop-studying.jpg (1600x1139, 166K)

>library and books
how fucking old are you?

khan academy and practice are the way

Quite old.
I like libraries and books.
Khan academy is a scam like prager u, just from the opposite camp.

Well considering that I think the answer to OP'S question would be, Math was invented by humans as a means of interpretation to better help us understand what we discover in our shared reality.

Maybe?

ty

>Khan academy is a scam like prager u

It's free math lessons

You must be confused

Attached: boomer time.gif (498x278, 615K)

Not at all.
Khan and similar new age "learning" are cheapening and twisting science.
I don't like them.

>Khan and similar new age "learning" are cheapening and twisting science.

It's literally just how to do math.

Attached: tin foil hat.jpg (350x262, 12K)

I mean math “exists” I guess but it’s really just our way of understanding the physical world

I disagree.
Why you get so defensive for them.
Are you a paid astroturfer?

I'd say we invented the formal system/logic we call Math, but we discovered its principles wich are somewhat inherent to existence.

It's free math lessons. I used it all the time when I was in college. It's a great resource.

There's literally nothing political/controversial about it.

Why dont you like it? Have you ever even used it?

Attached: alex jones.jpg (760x400, 183K)

>Why dont you like it?
I don't like the language they use and how instead of teaching principles they enforce recipes
I also hate how it's being shilled
>Have you ever even used it?
Yes, it was awful

This is a dubs thread

it's wipipo magic

Attached: 1556163061584.jpg (916x1024, 120K)

So they show you how to solve problems instead of showing you concepts and expecting you to figure it out on your own?

Those new age monsters!

Attached: 1347065725084.jpg (300x360, 24K)

Attached: 1466014433155.jpg (601x623, 73K)

My thoughts exactly

>Did humans invent math or did we simply discover it?
If you wanna take mathematics to be the system of formulas and constants explaining phenomena, then yes, we invented the system of measures.

All inventions are discoveries.
Even if what you've invented is random, arbitrary, and useless, you discovered it somehow -- some train of thought led you to the idea.
"Discovery" simply tends to imply the inherent utility or meaningfulness of an invention.

This is also very true.

We discovered connections between natural phenomena by means of an invention named numbers

Math is an attempt to model a real phenomenon. The model is constructed, the phenomenon is not.