I’ve been looking into various different Christian churches and their beliefs lately...

I’ve been looking into various different Christian churches and their beliefs lately, and I have come down to Methodist and Episcopal as being the top two denominations closest to my personal beliefs. However, I don’t know which one to choose. I believe the Methodist-Wesleyan doctrine the most, but I am very attracted to typical Episcopal services and ceremonies, being more traditional and formal. Also, what are some of the main differences between the Episcopal and Methodist doctrines anyway, as I couldn’t really find a definite answer? From your guys personal expirence, which one would you recommend?

Attached: 3F55C8B9-BB34-4A96-AA75-280B8388F6BB.jpg (586x388, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostolic_Fathers#List_of_works
assemblyofbishops.org/directories/parishes
kjvodebate.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/luke-418-and-the-lxx/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Jamnia
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I fart and burp all the time. I seem to have gas constantly and I release it in some form approximately every 5 minutes. Apparently I do it in my sleep too.

If I'm on my own, surrounded by family or friends, I fart loudly without any attempt to conceal it. If I'm in public I still fart and burp but quieter. Even in work and in meetings I fart but I just do it quieter. They almost never smell, and even if they do its pretty mild and passes quickly.

There are only very rare circumstances in which I'll hold it in, the conditions have to meet all of the following criteria:

> I have eaten spicy food or drank lots of beer the night before
> I have farted a few times already and they fucking stink
>I'm in a social environment with people I'm not totally comfortable with

begom orgodogs

seriously though, methodism was invented by an episcopalian who didn't even believe what he was teaching was true, and episcopalianism is thoroughly refuted by a simple reading of the new testament.
I'd encourage you to first:
1) read the new testament (I suggest (N)RSV translation)
2) read the writings of theapostolic fathers, who were taught directly by the apostles: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostolic_Fathers#List_of_works when the bible was being compiled, there were those who argued that these works should have been included.
2) attend an orthodox divine liturgy or catholic TLM; a directory of orthodox parishes in north america is located here: assemblyofbishops.org/directories/parishes
if for some reason you stay hung up on episcopalianism, at least attend a good anglican parish instead; they are in communion (and so *hypothetically* have theologically compatible views) but tend not to be as blatantly bad.

*I should note: MODERN episcopalianism theology (gay marriage, female clergy, etc etc) is refuted by anyone who can read the NT. if you can find a traditional "episcopal" breakaway church, then you're still going to have to deal with a lot of hard questions regarding apostolic succession and more delicate theological matters, but it would be a step up for sure.

If you don't go to a Baptist church you will burn in HELL.

I'll pray for you OP

Based christian, can you expand on how Methodism started and how episcopalianism is refuted by the new testament? Hadnt heard of the apostolic fathers, thank you.

>user isn’t gnostic
Have fun getting raped by the demiurge fag

Attached: C46BE5DD-5637-4E66-8FCB-3AA484053D7E.png (867x1217, 306K)

Attached: 5S_Hz4bH.jpg (750x1050, 216K)

You should be Jewish. It unironically the superior faith.

Try to find a former Baptist ministry that has gone Wesleyan. They're rare, but the have the proper structure for a solid Church while providing the openness that is desired in Christ's word. You'll probably only find these ministries in the borders area around the South, and maybe further into Texas/Florida, but the word they preach is more true to today than anywhere else I have found.

>Episcopalians
Big yikes. Never join a religion founded for political or personal reasons. It’s literally the Church of England, which was made up because Henry didn’t want to kowtow to the pope. And then rebranded in America because independence. Seriously it’s not a doctrine of faith. And you can see it in their modern agitation and lack of faith. Might as well be a Scientologist.

methodism: basically an episcopal guy wanted as many people to go to heaven as possible (a noble goal) so instead of actually going around enriching people in the word of god, he developed a *method* (hence the name) to get people salvation as quickly as possible with the bare minimum of effort required. as you might imagine, god does not take kindly to people trying to exploit loopholes, although at least his efforts made a lot of people nominally christian if nothing else.

episcopalianism:
female ordination: refuted in 1 corinthians 14 and the first 1900 years of christian history
gay marriage: refuted in matthew 19 and the first 1900 years of christian history
eucharist not being true body: refuted in 1 corinthians 11 and the first 1500 years of christian history
deuterocanon: despite being in the scripture book jesus used and quoted (the "septuagint" look it up), the anglican communion (and every other protestant denomination) rejects it

remember: when jesus built his church, he said the gates of hell would not prevail against it. the true church of christ has existed continuously since then.

Jesus probably quoted the original Hebrew Bible, not the Septuagint. He came from a traditional Jewish household and lived in Israel/Judea. Plus he spoke Aramaic not Greek. Are there any red letter passages that quote the apocrypha? I can’t think of any.

Everything else you said is right and Episcopalians are gay

I’ve been United Methodist most my life and I’m obviously biased, but I’ve been to many an Episcopalian service. What I’ve gathered is this: Epis. is more traditional Christian beliefs and they typically have services in an older church. I think there’s a stronger base of middle age+ in their churches, and when it comes to making your faith deeper through older people pouring into you, def a good route to take. Out west they have more modernized churches but still hold core beliefs closer. Methodist churches on the east coast are a majority in older built churches, however, I’ve always joked non-denominational churches are just United Methodist churches that don’t know it yet. United Methodists seem to be more laid back in my experience. Their services feel more informational. Epis. Services have always caught me as more consistently convicting. United Methodist also seems to have a younger bunch of people. If you’re anywhere in your 20’s, you’ll probably find more people your age in the United Methodist church. United Methodist churches also seem to be modernizing quicker than many of the other denominations.

we actually know for certain jesus quoted the septuagint, as there are important translational differences that he quotes, like luke 4:18-19. modern scholarship indicates (and this concords well with church tradition) that jesus likely used greek, aramaic, and hebrew. obviously though, being god, he was able to speak any language. I'm not aware of any times jesus quoted the deuterocanon, but there are a great number of uncontroversial OT books he also did not quote, and the apostles reference the deuterocanon very frequently. you may use the argument that you trust jesus over the apostles, but keep in mind who jesus entrusted with his religion, and who wrote the bible itself.
kjvodebate.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/luke-418-and-the-lxx/

Hogwash.

this is so gay dude... if only you could replace all the religious "elements" with pointers, objects, patterns and refactoring... you'd start at 100k a year.

Thanks for the good info about Greek quotations. Will look into it.

My point was that if Jesus never quotes the apocrypha that doesn’t prove one way or the other about if it should be included. I don’t know how it got into the Septuagint either actually. Seems strange to include books the Jews didn’t consider scriptural.

I wish I was retarded enough to understand all of this.

Attached: 264113001_f1ed3fb11e_m.jpg (233x240, 24K)

that's the thing though, the jews DID consider them scriptural.* that's why they were included in the septuagint, which was the only officially commissioned translation of the original hebrew. heck, hanukah celebrates an event recounted in maccabees (which jesus attended a precursor of in john 10 btw)! it was only centuries after christ that jews definitively removed them with the standardization of the masoretic text.
*the clique jesus mostly hung out with did anyway. the various different groups pharisees, sadducees, samaritans, etc all had differing canons, and sometimes different ones within the groups. for example, the sadducees only accepted the first five books of the bible.

This I’m pretty sure is wrong. I’ve studied the OT and it’s history quite a bit. We don’t know exactly how the lxx came to be written. But we know even in the first and second centuries Jews were criticizing it and using other translations. Discussions of why certain books were excluded from the canon are also found in the first centuries AD.

The fact that the book of Maccabees recounts Hanukkah doesn’t prove Maccabees is canonical. The Book of Mormon talks about Jesus, that doesn’t prove its canonical for Christians. There are also good historical reasons to think the rabbis wouldn’t like some of these books. Eg Maccabees makes the priest class look good, which the Pharisees wouldn’t like.

It’s possiblr that alternative books were in use by other groups like sadducees and Samaritans. But pretty sure the mainstream canon was already in place.

>We don’t know exactly how the lxx came to be written.
perhaps from a modern, scholarly perspective, but tradition at the time (as repeated by philo, among others) was that it was commissioned by king ptolemey ii and done by israelite scholars.
>in the first and second centuries Jews were criticizing it and using other translations
the first and second centuries jews were also the exact ones who rejected christ.
>Discussions of why certain books were excluded from the canon are also found in the first centuries AD
perhaps certain books, but such discussions were also found in BC. as I said, there wasn't a universally-accepted jewish canon at the time. that's why its important that we use the canon that was in the standard jesus used and the books the apostles quoted.
>But pretty sure the mainstream canon was already in place.
it really wasn't. the absolute earliest anyone thinks it happened was the last first century, decades of the death of christ, and most scholars today think it actually happened much later: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Jamnia

Go to a Baptist church, Catholics worship false idols (saints, the Pope, virgin mary), Episcopal and Methodists are full of faggots and trans now, orthodox are cool but unless you live in Greece or Russia than it isn't an option, Baptists follow the bible more closely in my opinion than any other church

orthodox christians outside russia/greece make up around half the orthodox population. there are thousands of parishes in the US alone.
also, lol @ saying catholics worship false idols then saying orthodox are cool. we commemorate "our most holy, pure, and most blessed, glorious Lady, the Mother of God, and ever-virgin Mary, with all Saints" multiple times in any given service. in the front of all of our churches there is an image of jesus with mary directly to his right.
while I would agree that there are some baptist churches that are at least trying their best, "baptist theology" is a contradiction of terms. you have hundreds of different competing theologies that all disagree with each other and are wildly different. there are plenty of baptist churches that ordain women and marry gays, I assure you.

it's all fake, you religionfags ruin everything. atheists actually can get something done withouth prasing the sun unliks you retards

Attached: flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg (750x1000, 100K)