Air Traffic Controller here. I work in the US and absolutely love my job...

Air Traffic Controller here. I work in the US and absolutely love my job. I make a shit ton of money all because I applied and took the test. If you Yea Forumsros like video games and have fast reaction times, you should apply. Anyone can apply. An incel in his mom's basement or a homeless person can apply. It literally changed my life. Ask me anything

Attached: 46034b02ac575ec2c47d8b5f0f55fea1224b1cba556705690f5f76a4fc8f5eb1.jpg (1280x732, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pointsixtyfive.com/xenforo/pages/Hiring/
pointsixtyfive.com/xenforo/threads/atsa-compilation.545/
pointsixtyfive.com/xenforo/pages/mmpi2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Describe it more.

Get in shape and go Combat Control. Don’t think they’d even have you go through the ATT portion of the pipeline.

what are you a boomer?
most of the time you need a degree now unless you are in the military, and that does not guarantee entry
training is also hard and if you fail you are fucked likewise a lot of stress and liability
you are talking like how it was during the strike in the 1980s
t. father was ATC from 1981 (the strike) until he retired from fed job and went to private sector, has worked there for nine years straight and will stop in about five more.

Used to do it in bongland. Failed first practical module, sell building products, couldnt be happier.

What do you do there? Are you working by yourself? Do you have to interact with someone?

The test is called the Air Traffic Skills Assessment (ATSA). The test has multiple sections. The main things you have to be good at are short term memory, quick mental math, ability to read maps, tracking movements, and having a fast reaction time. Most of the "questions" on the test stay on the screen for only 2 seconds before moving on to the next. You only have 2 seconds to answer, and the test monitors your speed, accuracy, and consistency. This is the highest-paying job that doesn't require a college degree. You'll also be set for life if you get it receiving benefits and a pension, not to mention being you and your family being able to fly anywhere you want for free. I can't stress enough how amazing this job is.

Dying industry ripe to be automated with technology

>Anyone can apply. An incel in his mom's basement or a homeless person can apply. It literally changed my life. Ask me anything

yeah if you have a 4 year degree or better

Not for at least another 50+ years mate. Not in your lifetime. There is still a desperate need for them in my country. OP is correct. This job will make you a millionaire easily and everyone in your family will be taken care of.

I would rather be a pilot. but for the next 8-10 years, I'm having to save up about 80 or 90k just to get started.
must be nice having parents to cosign shit for you.
I don't mean you.. as in, well you.. but in general.

Nope. No degree needed. Do your research and look it up. FAA does not require a degree for ATCS 2152.

how do you feel when AI take over ur job in like 2 yrs?

Didn't Trump's government shutdown fuck you over for a while?

I assume the test is timed?

not OP, but no. ATC is essential personnel.

>take over
unlikely, although partial automation will happen
ATC always needs a human behind it because of liability as well as making sure things get done
it's still going to be a good job, but just not as profitable as before

and how did you learn the knowledge needed? vidya?

More like 50+ years mate. You'd be a fool to count yourself out prematurely and not even apply.

You have 6 hours to take it.

Projected Job Growth : -9%

Attached: BJM3092__00556.1414648591_900x.jpg (347x313, 32K)

This is all natural cognitive abilities. You either have the skills or you don't. Not something you can really study for.

Not OP, but I'm a pilot.

These posters are completely wrong and the fact is that the FAA is struggling to hire controllers today. I actually just heard that Congress is changing the hiring process since the current one limits the amount of controllers they can hire.

As a pilot, yes, I can say for sure that the current technology is advancing at a steady rate, but we are nowhere near being automated completely. I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. Controllers are vital for my job, and I respect them way more than law enforcement officers. They say it's one of the most stressful jobs out there (I don't have a reason to doubt that) and a buddy of mine makes over 150k after being one for 11 years. No joke.

If you get the chance to apply, take that chance! I know the FAA hires only once or twice a year, so you have to pay attention when a hiring bid comes up.

uk air traffic controller here. i don't know how it's done in the usa, but the pass rate is fucking horrendous in the uk. it's very academically challenging and lots of people don't have what it takes. the money is great and the UAE is always looking for western (intelligent) air traffic controllers where the money is even more ridiculous if you can tolerate the fucking sand niggers.

How many crashes a week are you allowed to cause before you get a written warning?

Can i get a green card? Used to work at NATS. Tampa approach control please user.

You train at Bournemouth user?

I bet the hiring schedule is based on surname, A-Z like most places. every place I've worked at sorts by last name and goes down the list.
love having a 'W' last name.

unironically this

also no matter where the ATC is in the world, the controllers HAVE to know english. even their accents have to spot on. this rule dates back to the pan am/klm collision where they couldn't understand the thick danish accent.
most ATCs are white/westernized to say the least.

Hey there fellow pilot! OP here.

I have lots of pilot friends now after starting this job, even met a couple I've controlled after leaving my tower to go home from work. You are absolutely correct. We need more help.

If anyone is interested, please go to:

pointsixtyfive.com/xenforo/pages/Hiring/

This will explain everything for anyone interested.

How much does it pay if it's so great? I'm a software engineer, prolly not worth it to switch right?

OP here again. The average controller makes 125k. Some controllers make 250k+. Starting is usually between 65k-70k, depends where you are in the country. It's not uncommon to hit six figures after 5 years on the job. The only catch is, you MUST be under 31 years old to apply. If your 31st birthday already passed, then you are automatically disqualified from the hiring process.

Attached: 01_Common-Myths-About-Airplanes-You-Need-to-Stop-Believing_559714906_motive56-760x506.jpg (760x506, 39K)

Meh, alright. Pretty similar but I'm under way less stress. Thanks for sharing tho.

>If your 31st birthday already passed, then you are automatically disqualified from the hiring process.
if this is going to be the same when hiring pilots, i'm going to fucking off myself.
so far i've done nothing in 20s but survive and try to save. either i get a mortage and wageslave, or spend it going to flight school.

Job Duties
• Control airborne and ground traffic
• Assist in the installation/relocation of tactical air traffic control facilities
• Process flight plan data and maintain logs, records, files and tape recordings of voice communications
Basic Qualifications
• Must be between 17 - 34 years of age.
• Must meet the required legal status.
• Must meet height and weight requirements or willing to meet the standard.
• Pass a background check.
• Have a High school diploma or GED.
Training

in houston
im tempted. but my employment history is fucking ass. I have gaps like a motherfucker because employers take their sweet time.

OP again. Here are details on both the ATSA and the MMPI-2 that you must pass to become an air traffic controller for the FAA.

ATSA Compilation | pointSixtyFive
pointsixtyfive.com/xenforo/threads/atsa-compilation.545/

MMPI2 | pointSixtyFive
pointsixtyfive.com/xenforo/pages/mmpi2/

Attached: download.jpg (284x177, 6K)

Who had the Danish accent, the American pilot or the Dutch pilot or the Spanish ATC?

ATC couldn't understand one of the pilots iirc. I'm on phone with limited signal but look up the documentary.
that incident set the standard for not just having to know and speak fluent english, but to have a clear, Anglo-like english accent for both ATC and pilots.

No problem. Stress depends on your facility and what city you're in. If you're in a major city, the stress goes up, but your salary also goes way up. Working in LA, NYC, or Chicago, you will easily make 200k+.

I'm 24, wageslaving below poverty level. I've had to move jobs several times because I'm not going to suck cock for a promotion in retail.
So now I just help with my dads mortage and pay the bills and go to sleep. rarely even game anymore. I'm saving, but I'm ready for a change.

when I could afford college, I maintained a 3.9 GPA so I'm confident passing the ATC exams.
I do have to get my weight down, though. I was at ~275 a year and a half ago. I'm down to 240 now. exactly 6 feet tall. I also need lasik because the astigmatism is so bad even glasses can't correct my vision optimally.

i tried being a software engineer. that shit is too boring and just doesnt stimulate my mind. i need action along with constant mental stimulation. sounds like atc might be for me. sounds more respectable than being a software engineer too

People vastly overestimate how far along automation is. There's a mean spirited meme going around of "learn to code", but it's actually true. I doubt anyone reading this now is going to see automation to the level required for something like UBI to make sense. To get to that level, we need a LOT more coders and a LOT more robotics engineers and we don't have it. Software developer unemployment is almost at 0% now.

Even if you knew how to automate ATC you'd have a hard time getting the developers you need to make it happen.

I think OP is on to something. You could also join the military and try for a guaranteed ATC job. The tech school for it is pretty short.

not a controller but I work at an airport. can confirm, they make a shit ton of money. id be lying if i said i wasnt jealous sometimes

yeah but I'm asthmatic. I always wanted to serve in the navy. somehow I find my life being nerfed at every fucking turn. but it can't go on forever. I've gotta find something fulfilling in this life.

I drive trucks and people have been saying that they’ll be automated soon for ages but it’s bullshit. The amount of parameters which are changing all the time in a cramped industrial estate would have the computers shitting themselves in no time flat.

I agree. I almost became a truck driver because I have a lot of free time, I'm single/no family, and wanted to see the country. OTR trucks won't be fully automated for a long, long while. At least 25 years time.
Local/intrastate tractor trailers, probably never. flat beds and fuel trucks should never be automated. Especially fuel trucks. you need a human to direct fuel.
It's like when people back in the 50s used to say we'd have flying cars and automation in 2000.
Jobs won't go away, they will simply 'change', if anything.

Do you have a cat?

Attached: 1548215136081.jpg (600x593, 54K)

Why not go for the test? Not Op, but I was a controller before becoming a pilot. I started as a flight dispatcher(shorter career, and not expensive, at least in my country it took me a year), then the national aviation authority opened positions to apply to ATC/ATFM and I applied and got the job, 2 years after I got my commercial license, IFR and multiple engine ratings. A year after that I got a job at a regional airline that I helped with operational things just because they were my friends, and now a year later I was promoted to captain. So yeah. I'll say go for it man

Lol what a random fuckin question

I'm going to try. I'm this fag here ,

He said "Ask me anything" so I did!

Oh okay, well yeah, go for it! If anything look for a flight dispatcher lessons, Google what they do and all, it's a really cool job. Keep up with the weight loss, dude. And hopefully you can get your eye laser thing soon my brother!

Why just not apply for ATC too? I don't get it. Don't limit yourself man. Apply for all of those dream jobs. Don't eliminate yourself before you even try, because you never know.

it's really something I look forward to. It's so easy to walk out in front of the train that passes through my town, but I just can't give in like that. can't do it. there's opportunity on the horizon even if i can't see it right now

^This post was meant for you dude

Exactly, you don't know what you can achieve unless you try. I know life is shit, but we're here and there's little to do about it, but we can make it easier by keeping ourselves busy by either living to achieve a goal, or actually achieving the goals and live to enjoy you success. I'm rooting for you my lad.

Dont ATCs also have the 2nd highest rate of commiting sudoku

ATCs make a shit ton of money dude.

>35.77/hr
>84k/yr
I make 44/hr 115k/yr as an electrician and I dont wanna kill myself every day. Got a pension and full benefits as well as health coverage for me + family

Try 200k and only working 5 hours a day. Yeah it's intense but quality of life is better than 115k year. Plus more free time and a guaranteed good life for your kids

How long you been at it friend

Isnt that also one of those one mistake and your fucked forever jobs.

Coming up on year 18. I don't take work home with me and it keeps me sharp. For every hour and a half I work, I get an hour break. I'm not trying to knock your profession, but ATC is at the top for salary and benefits. I have never once been stressed to the point where I think about taking my own life.

Any stories involiving unexplained aerial phenomenon/unidentified flying objects?

I'm not saying you may have it better than other people in your profession but...well shit nevermind I'm retarded AF turns out manual laborers i.e. me have the highest rating for an hero. Well fuck I mean I love my job but I guess those who cant find consistent employment would have it rough

If you have the skills and confidence, that won't happen. Even if I fuck up, somebody always has my back. Worst case I would get fired, but you always get to talk with your manager and look back where you went wrong. Accidents in this industry almost never happen because of us. It's exponentially safer flying in a plane than driving in a car.

What’s the pay like? Benefits?

^ OP answered this.

^ More info

you will have a huge pension from the government for the rest of your life after retiring... mandatory age of retirement st 56, so 25 years of service starting at no later than 31 with the option to retire after 20 years

This is true.

I bet he hears about this shit all the time