What do you think about the US/China trade war?

What do you think about the US/China trade war?

Attached: A78710E3-16A2-48DE-9112-21DAF9AA6BF5.jpg (700x394, 43K)

The actions that the US are taking in the trade war are fundamentally good ideas and well justified, but they are being done at the wrong time as we are in an globally economically volatile situation. It could trigger an international recession.

i think this thread belongs in /pol/

Trade wars are never justified or good ideas. Tariffs kill jobs. Economics isn’t hard but people just don’t want to try and understand it.

I think you should shut your whore mouth

>Murica
>International
Just bc trump accelerated China's world portafolio to trade doesn't mean i'll be another 'world' recession

The world is about to hit a recession anyway. Germany’s production is down, the dollar is getting stronger, investors are moving money out of the stock market and into long term bonds

who let the redditfags in? SHUT UP YOU FAG

Maybe so, but there are going to be tariffs either way. China already has tariffs on the US, and they refuse to revoke them. A situation where two similarly capable economies trade, and only one uses tariffs, is very detrimental to the one that does not use any tariffs. Long term having tariffs up will save more jobs than it will cost.
The world is quite close to another global recession as is. If you think China is not taking major economic damage from this trade war you haven't looked at the economic indicators. Chinese companies are struggling with vast debt right now and growth has slowed down significantly. Other sectors such as the housing market is also sounding alarms.

The trade war is nothing more that Trump trying to appear "tough" on China. In reality, he wants to hurt the Chinese economy so bad that the cost to do business there goes back to pre 2008 levels. The reality is that he is doing nothing but hurting our farmers and steel workers, not to mention the coal power plants (though I'm not sad to see them go).

To your second point, that's because China is switching from a production economy to a service economy. It is too expensive to build a new factory there, so all manufacturing is going to places like Vietnam and Cambodia. They are going to sell services, much like the US and west Europe does now.

Trump started this war by claiming that Huawei phones were an espionage tool of the Chinese government. The US government never proved this to be true. When the NSA spied on Merkel and other European politicians, they presented evidences and asked Obama for explanations.

Trump will allow huawei to do their business in the US for another 3 months. Backpedaling in negotiations is not something the winning side does.

Attached: 1531763032594.gif (400x300, 1.58M)

Let's hope the US is paying for Greenland in Yuan. Otherwise the money will be worthless soon.

> doing nothing but hurting our farmers and steel workers

Please explain.

You're wrong. You're not necessarily wrong about China switching to a service economy. However, switching to a service economy is not associated with such a slowdown of GDP growth. So that does not explain away the troubling economic signs. Furthermore, the chinese have been lowering the value of their currency on purpose to strengthen their exports. That doesn't seem like something you'd do if you are transitioning rapidly into a service economy.

No having tariffs doesn’t ever save jobs. Yes the other countries tariffs might make exporting goods there less profitable, but there are other markets to sell your goods.

If they can produce a good cheaper then fine. Tariffs will only cost their economy as the cost of goods goes up in the country since they aren’t lowering prices just limiting supply. Eventually demand will go down to the point the economy suffers. They reduce the tariffs. China also is a net exporter not net importer.

They don’t buy a lot of stuff so tariffs isn’t really a threat. The problem is they make goods cheaper than we do and instead of moving naturally to a service economy we are holding onto the idea we are a manufacturing economy. In the end we are saving 200k jobs at the cost of 2million

Different guy but the cost of our products has become expensive in China. China doesn’t import much from us but they do love our steel and wheat. Since they can buy both of those from Europe now for less money they are.

So, according to you, China bought 0 tons last year?

You do show me a good point I forgot about. They are trying to stay competitive in the global economy by lowering the value of their currency. I believe they are trying to bully the US into stopping the trade war by being so cheap that Western Europe and even third world countries look at them the way the US used to look at them.

You have a very simplistic understanding of commerce don’t you?

No they didn’t buy 0. They bought less. This reduction has cost steel jobs and forced farms to lose money. The government is offsetting this by subsidizing them more heavily.

HAVE

SEX

INCELS

>No having tariffs doesn’t ever save jobs. Yes the other countries tariffs might make exporting goods there less profitable, but there are other markets to sell your goods.
If both countries put up tariffs, then no that wont save any jobs compared to if neither country has tariffs. But if one country has tariffs and not the other, it will create a trade surplus for the country with tariffs and a trade deficit for the country without. I.e, value as in goods and services are transferred to the other country causing lop-sided economic growth.
Tariffs also encourgare expansion of domestic industry to meet demand which is usually (but not always) good.

you seem lost

Attached: (((DER REDDITOR))).jpg (1065x1280, 161K)

I think China has all the leverage and trump was a fool to approach the situation like he did.

Yes, it's a good strategy, utilizing their strength. They are fundamentally at a disadvantage to the US as they are more export-import reliant.

This is a good image thanks user

But if im buying 100t of steel for 90$ and someone else is selling for 80$ wouldnt I just tranfer all of the purchase order to the new supplier?

Yes one country having tariffs is worse than no tariffs. But two countries having tariffs is even worse. You then not only are hurting exporters but also consumers.

Supply and demand isn’t hard. If prices go up because of tariffs then both sides get hurt.

I disagree pretty substantially.

Given our exit from the TPP, we've essentially given the entire SE Asian region to be China's playground. Our tradewar simply expedites China's efforts to reduce their reliance on foreign trade for stability and military power.

The gloves are off now and China is well positioned to be the new world military, political, and economic superpower.

Are you also writting a paper on this topic?

Attached: 1552031920205.jpg (896x1199, 570K)

Yes. But not everyone sells goods at the average price. The average price of a good may be $100 in the US but there will be suppliers who sell it at $85 and suppliers that sell it at $115. There will also be suppliers who will give a bulk discount since they already have a shipment going. There will also be suppliers who sell at $125 but can meet a 4000 ton order while in Germany the guy who sells at $95 can only meet a 2000 ton order. You see commerce is not so simple as who has the cheapest product. But when the average cost of a good goes up demand goes down. Maybe the purchaser was willing to pay $10 more a ton than what it costs from Europe to get his order 2 months sooner but at $20 more a ton it is not longer economical.

Yep. China has always been playing the long game and it's paying off.

No they've only done it since like the 90's.

Inconsequential.
Foreign bond markets are shitting the bed right now from unrelated causes. This is coming to us shores sooner than later.
People that blame the economy on the presidents are clueless. Slight fluctuations can come from presidential actions, outside of that, your private central bank and its subsidiaries are responsible for what's coming.
Mass media will blame trumps "trade war" for what's about to happen, and most people will buy it. You wish trump was that powerful

No

It never changes

God I fucking hate these reddit fags they're just a bunch of blue pilled cucks

Correct. The global economy is going to hit the shitter sooner rather than later. The trade war is at worst speeding it up.

Very well, thank you for educating me on this subject.

He’s the one who has taken all the credit for the stock market and the economy. If he wants to own the good, he can also own the bad.

theyre miserable cuntss

Right!

I feel bad for people that blame trump for the coming shitstorm, Forever stuck regurgitating the partisan nonsense vomited continually by mass and social media.
Were fucked. Oh well. I'll be dead soon so I really dont care. Just hurts my heart a bit.

You're a dumb fuck if you listen to what any politician says.

No one listens to the demented old fuck and takes him seriously.

I feel bad for people that don’t understand he is the shitstorm.

Some people do. Take for instance.

You’ll be with Jesus soon.

I wonder why we can have a trade war with one communist dictatorship and an embargo on another

That’s some hefty implication you toss about, user. You are clearly not a credible source.

I feel bad for people that are too hyper focused on the facade of the "left/right" rhetorical agendas to see that "both parties" practical agendas are identical.
Turn off your tv. Exit facebook, Twitter, Instagram permanently. Pick up a book.
You're perpetuation of a fake fictomy is the problem. You're the problem.

Your generalizations are showing.

Are you going to start spouting off about red pills next?

"Bbbbbbut tttrump sssaid..."
Who gives a fuck what trump says or does. Hes nothing. His actions and words mean nothing. Does trump control the economy? No. So who gives a fuck about trump. Hes not even in the conversation.

Are you gonna keep bickering about what trump says like it does something or means anything? Figured so.

The man brow beats the fed reserve to lower rates, or fires them and hires someone who will. The man tweets about disapproval of a company and it’s stock drops. The man tweets about maybe doing more tariffs and the market drops. What planet do you live on?

You are one hopeless fool.

China is a danger. They steal hundreds of billions every year in trade secrets and intellectual property. I don’t support trade wars except against China and their repressive and violent regime. They literally have concentration camps for Muslims. Why doesn’t the media cover that?

Wrong. China is hemorrhaging money to prop up their economy. They need access to the US market much more than the US needs China. Trump’s plan is to move as much production out of China and into the US, or our allies, as possible. The trade wars with Mexico and Canada were to get them in line against China. China was using them to get free access into the US market. China is a danger that is only growing.