Perhaps because gastroenterology, immunology, toxicology...

Perhaps because gastroenterology, immunology, toxicology, and the nutrition and agricultural sciences are outside of their competence and responsibility, psychologists and psychiatrists typically fail to appreciate the impact that food can have on their patients’ condition. Here we attempt to help correct this situation by reviewing, in non-technical, plain English, how cereal grains—the world’s most abundant food source—can affect human behavior and mental health. We present the implications for the psychological sciences of the findings that, in all of us, bread (1) makes the gut more permeable and can thus encourage the migration of food particles to sites where they are not expected, prompting the immune system to attack both these particles and brain-relevant substances that resemble them, and (2) releases opioid-like compounds, capable of causing mental derangement if they make it to the brain. A grain-free diet, although difficult to maintain (especially for those that need it the most), could improve the mental health of many and be a complete cure for others.

Attached: fuckbreadredo.jpg (250x156, 5K)

About 12,000 years ago, when the last ice age came to an end, the rapid change in climate decimated our traditional food sources, especially large game. Possibly in response to that, in the fertile crescent of the Middle East (roughly the areas comprising the Levant and the Tigris and Euphrates valleys) we began to practice agriculture and animal domestication. Within a few thousand years both had independently started on at least four different continents (Murphy, 2007), stabilizing and increasing our food supply to such an extent that the human population exploded. Yet the agricultural revolution not only increased the availability of food, but also radically changed its nature: cereal grain products, to which we were largely unaccustomed, quickly took center stage. This article illustrates the surprising relevance of this diet change to neuroscientists, psychologists, and psychiatrists.

That the association between humans and grains paid off nicely for both is beyond dispute. Each partner helped the other reproduce, multiply, and ultimately conquer vast patches of the earth. Each partner coevolved with the other, adapting to it. For example, wheat progressively became shorter in response to our own preference for crops easier to harvest and less vulnerable to wind. At the same time, our faces, jaws, and teeth progressively became smaller in response to the soft texture of bread (Larsen, 1995). Thus we domesticated grain, and in return grain domesticated us (Murphy, 2007).

Yet the agricultural revolution may have spelled trouble. Tellingly, whenever diets based on grain replaced the traditional diets of hunter-gatherers, lifespan and stature decreased—while infant mortality, infectious diseases, bone mineral disorders, and the frequency of dental caries increased (Cohen, 1987). Some of these problems were never totally overcome. For example, despite a gradual increase in stature beginning 4,000 years ago, when diets became more varied again, on average we are still about 3 cm shorter than our pre-agriculture ancestors (Murphy, 2007). The coevolution between humans and grain brought on genetic changes in both parties, but did not render grain a more suitable food for us than it originally was.

One of the first hints that these circumstances could have implications for the psychological sciences was the observation that, in several countries, hospitalization rates for schizophrenia during World War II dropped in direct proportion to wheat shortages. In the United States, where over that same period the consumption of wheat rose rather than diminished, such rates increased instead (Dohan, 1966a,b). In South Pacific islands with a traditionally low consumption of wheat, schizophrenia rose dramatically (roughly, from 1 out of 30,000 to 1 out of 100) when Western grain products were introduced (Dohan et al., 1984).

but garlic bread

I'm presenting information, that's all.
It's not my job to make you care nor to choose your diet for you, do what you want with this information, even if that's doing nothing.

Alpha chads eat meat though

tl;dr
>Hide thread

Alpha chads don't eat meat you neckbeard. I'm a chad because i chose to live a cruelty free lifestyle. I don't need to be a big bloody barbarian to be considered alpha. I chose my own path and that is to be meat free because it is cruelty free. How much more alpha can someone get when they have the capability to snap a chickens neck with a single open palm strike but choses not to do so for its mercy.

I eat beef. chicken is gross.

be prey if you wish, but I prefer the life of a champion among men, not the life of grass eating cattle

look how muscular cow can get from just grass

cut out the middleman

>look how tall trees can grow from grabbing nutrients out of the air
>cut out the middleman, eat air
I suppose if I'm going to be entirely serious for a second, the right plants are mostly preferable. I still would want small amounts of meat because it offers too many good benefits, so going full vegetarian is off the table for me. my big thing is mostly anti-grain.
Oh and just the the record trees to get most of their mass from the air. Hydroponics, for example, has no soil but still works.

Attached: il_794xN.1418077842_pam7.jpg (794x1142, 129K)

1) that's only after we inject em with steroids
2) they only eat grass and then sleep 10-12 hours a day
3) their bodies are specifically made to make the most kf all that grass and make the rest of the nutrients they need in house through digestion. you can't change how your body functions by just going vegan

Attached: f9e.jpg (600x880, 70K)

>be prey if you wish, but I prefer the life of a champion among men

Attached: tipsfedora.jpg (500x323, 64K)

nice shoes

Attached: 05k.jpg (400x591, 41K)

Good stuff. Grains is evil. Srsly, neurologists know this shit now. "Grain Brain" by Dr David Perlmutter. Check him out on facebook, regular posts with lots of good information.

Attached: 10k.jpg (400x582, 41K)

I don't use facebook.
he active anywhere else?

erm yes you can, its called gradual progression and works with almost every facet aspect of human life. How do you think evolution and gene expression works. I bet if you eat grass for like 5 years eventually your body will start pulling ut minerals and chemicals we dont even know exist yet and you weill be jacked like a cow.

I have crohn's