What career do you wish you had gone for, Yea Forums?

What career do you wish you had gone for, Yea Forums?

Attached: 1536370378848.png (1000x800, 223K)

I'm pretty happy with software, but if I had to choose something else, I'd probably do one of :
my own business
actuarial
real estate

You think I should go to school for software dev or just learn by myself everyone who’s gone to school says it

That's a tough one. I've been in the industry for a long while now and back then, it was surprisingly easy to get in based only on your skills and portfolio.

I've been told that the competition is tougher these days, though, so I'd advise to at least take a 2 year technical certification from a *reputable* tech school to up your chances. Then get on github and create a portfolio of your projects there. People want to see that you can walk the walk, not just talk the talk. (Note that I said reputable: there are a LOT of shitty scam schools out there, so do your homework.)

For added "juice", always network too. Recruiting firms sometimes hold regular meet-and-greets for tech folks and this is a great "in" to find out which companies in your area are the best employers and which to avoid at all costs.

HTH

>real estate
Would genuinely consider this, but math is my Achilles heel so do I even stand a chance?

Well, it highly depends on which area of real estate. There are lots of different jobs in this field. I won't lie to you, there's some math in each of them, but generally it's not super tough. And if your strength is in people-skills, you'll definitely do well.

Thanks!

Meth addicted serial killer

My aunt has been in real estate in Vegas for about a couple of decades, and she's kept a tempo (and drastically improved) with attentive customer service and good advertising. Real estate brokering, on the other hand, is much more math-intensive.

I'd want to do paleontological field work as often as possible. If I get enough money to attend college again, I might reconsider University of Wyoming if only for the connections in that.

Spent 5 years at university and now I'm still working in the safety side of the oil patch 6 years later. People with tech degrees are starting at higher pay than me and I have alot more experience. So I wish someone would have told me it's okay to go to tech school.

Thank you for the info! I'd ask about how to get into it if you're fresh out of my country's equivalent of high school, but career paths differ radically from country to country so I don't think I could

Pic related, there's always time :^)

Attached: i-ladbible-com-man-77-deemed-too-old-to-be-a-60767884 (2).jpg (485x355, 50K)

My idiot friend who hardly passed high school is in real estate now. 2 years later and hes make 80k a year plus on commission.

>real estate
Like an agent or buying and flipping or Renata property

Soldier and then a mercenary or a hired gun.

Attached: 43703687-mercenary-with-m16-rifle.jpg (1300x866, 105K)

So, I've been investing my own money on the side for about 10 years now and my current goal is to start my own small REIT. I'd gather investor cash to buy larger scale buildings like apartment blocks, run them, and share in the returns with my investors. That's the stretch goal, though.

Sounds like a plan. How much do you have invested so far and what’s your roi

I've got low 7 figures, my ROI is about 10%, not including principal paydown or other accounting shenanigans.

Why not the stock market

Well, when I started more seriously looking at investing options, this was just after the big RE crash, where excellent properties could be had for a song. And, after that, I just developed a taste for it and put a lot of time and effort into learning about it.

Because of all that, at this point, it seems wise to just "roll with my momentum" and play to my strengths.

I could switch everything that I have liquid over to a low-cost index fund, but then it wouldn't be as interesting, the returns would be more unpredictable, I wouldn't have much/any control and there would be very little cashflow (which I like).

As for trading, I'd never do that since I believe in the studies showing that most active traders never beat the indexes.

Don't get me wrong, I have cash in the market. But it's just to offset my debt and I don't consider it a main part of my overall strategy.

What has been stopping you?

I wish I was into being vomited on. And doused in urine. Like, sexually. Then I could be a registered nurse.