Aphantasia

Can people actually, unironically visualize things with their mind's eye? Whenever I think of something I can sense it and be aware that I am thinking of it, but I never actually see the object like I would in real life. I dream quite vividly, but can't play a movie in my head or whatever bullshit people claim to be able to do.

Attached: exiht9hlb0c21.jpg (568x639, 20K)

>this thread again

Attached: 1562970896761.png (583x482, 119K)

I don't come to /sci/ very often so I have no idea what you guys usually talk about

Yes, normal people can actually see images behind their eyelids when they imagine something. Aphantasia is caused by trauma, and most Yea Forums users have some kind of trauma, usually from high school social ostracization

When you are traumatized or depressed, your brain suppresses a lot of functions, such as vivid visualization and sharp thinking, as a protection mechanism so you dont vividly visualize all the cringy things you have done in the past

I used to be a giant cringelord in high school. Stuff like making farting sounds with my hands, saying edgy opinions in class, looking at girls, etc. Girls called me a freak, I got side eyed, etc. Once I reached the age of self awareness, I had multiple daily episodes of cringing and smacking my head in mental pain (I call it post traumatic cringe syndrome) over things I did years ago. I started losing my mental sharpness and disassociating as a protective mechanism against that trauma

This is interesting and is a good hypothesis.

Best way of getting rid of this, blame others. It's not your fault your parents are shit and didn't raise you right. Anyone in your position with your experiences would behave the same. Parents raising kids on youtube, cartoon network, ipads and synthetic frozen pizzas are bound to have a cringy kid.

>Can people actually, unironically visualize things with their mind's eye?
Easily.
I can travel and then recall the journey and imagine and visualise the path from above if I desire.

If you literally visualize thoughts on your eyelids then you have schizophrenia or are on acid.
Similarly, you don't literally see them like in real life, but you have a sense of what it looks like and can manifest it in another layer to be able to "look past" what you're currently seeing.

You lost your smarts because you repeatedly smacked your head, not because of trauma, user.

Are you spatially retarded? Or you somehow are able to understand spatial concepts in a non-visual way?

You're making it sound like it's happening in front of your eyes, like you're causing yourself to hallucinate. You need to make it clear that the "other layer" is in your head, not within your vision. It's not looking "past" anything or even really looking at all. It's just holding a visual image inside your head. Just like having an internal narrative isn't "hearing" or has to be "filtered out" from actual sounds.

Stop spamming the same topic on every board.
Literally.
Kill yourself retarded faggot. You know exactly what you're doing when you're spamming the same exact post word for word on multiple boards. Kill yourself you stupid piece of shit. Search "aphantasia" on a Yea Forums archive site. Reported for spam. Kill yourself.

bump ;^)

I'm amazed that people can't vividly manipulate images and objects in their mind's eye. I remember just doing it for fun in elementary school; when I was bored I'd look at an object in the room and I'd imagine rotating it and examining it. I guess practicing this skill as a child really solidified my spatial/visual acuity.

100% it did. it surprised me when i realized some people cannot recognize specific faces, even objectively intelligent people can suffer from this. They learn to recognize individuals by hair, gait, body size, and other cues. It's so strange to me but i dunno, hard to imagine a condition you do not suffer from like that

I think the variation it boils down to the fact that brains are both very complex and extremely plastic. It really goes to show that peoples' subjective experiences truly are unique. I know for damn sure that there are some things unique to my mind that no one I know is afflicted by, nor can they be pigeonholed by some "diagnosis". For instance, I find that I have two "modes": concentrating and diffuse. This is completely universal, but the weird part is that I find it exceedingly difficult to talk when I'm concentrating besides muttering simple single word replies. In my concentrated mode I kind of dissociate from physical reality. It takes me a while to switch back to my diffuse mode, where I find it very easy to talk smoothly. Perhaps this isn't that unique, but I've never heard of anyone else having this.

I mean we dont know shit about the brain or how it turns into "us" does it.
You read any oliver sacks? few scientists are also really good writers, I'd highly suggest his shit if you're interested in this, he's great at capturing people's uniqueness. One of mine is that when having discussions about topics requiring actual thought, i prefer to not look at people in the eyes because it just distracts me, i stare off into space or completely close my eyes to try and visualize things better. It's kind of a rude practice if people dont know me, but ive gotten good at controlling it in general and instead spacing out while staring at someones face, but it's still distracting to me

Actually we do know quite a bit about the neural correlates of consciousness. Check out Stanislas Dehaene's "Consciousness and the Brain". It's the most comprehensive book on the current state of neuroscience. We know WAY more than most laymen realize.

>For example, when asked to say which is a lighter color of green—grass or pine trees—most people would decide by imagining both grass and tree and comparing them. MX correctly said that pine trees are darker than grass, but he insisted he had used no visual imagery to make the decision. “I just know the answer,” he said.

That image is misleading

ill check it out, very cool. Im more on the molecular level, specifically plasticity and possibly memory, but eh who actually knows. really good evidence that NMDARs are pretty important, specifically their ability to change locations to activated synapses. Cogneuro has always interested me but too macroscopic, cells have always interested me, specifically neurons

I mean, I can manipulate objects in the minds eye but it's not like a movie... It's different, but still real... Like it's behind the curtain of waking consciousness... And then when I dream that curtain is pulled away, and my dreams are photo-real. Is this different for you?

This defeats the aphantasiatards.

Attached: ri_kubussen.gif (471x316, 6K)

Calm down autist

It's #4
Surely even a visualizationlet could figure this one out, there are easy and very apparent shortcuts to eliminate all the other options

I've heard that name thrown around but I've never read him, I'll check him out. I think the inability to look people in the eyes is quite common, but I'm guessing there's more to it than that that you can't quite explain.

>we do know quite a bit about the neural correlates of consciousness.
From a quick google search it seems like Dehaene's work is quite theoretical. Honestly I don't think there will ever be a fully satisfying explanation of subjective experience, even if we can definitively find a mechanism for/boundary between the unconscious mind and the conscious mind. It seems like a really interesting read though, I'm probably going to read it before the summer's through.

It's totally different for me. When I'm visualising things, it's as vivid as my dreams, granted, my dreams are not nearly as photorealistic as true visual perception (obviously). My imagination is quite akin to dream imagery.

If the orientation (rotational) of the star/face are preserved then yeah obviously it's 4. If all that matter is which side they're on, then both 1 and 4 work.

can't be 1, the star is always under the mouth

Read his post again, retard

I can visualize stuff with open eyes easier. Furthermore, it's much easier to see simple things like grass, or pine tree needles. But the moment I try to visualize a landscape with multiple buildings and moving cars, it becomes fuzzy. It's hard to retain all the colors at once, and the objects themselves become less concrete.

I literally doing this right now exept without hitting myself. Should I stop? What should I do if I remember something stupid I did? I currently just say "Why god" or "OMG I'M SO STUPID"

How do I stop losing my senses?

Even with aphantasia this is simple
I got through a couple years of engineering courses with many examples of manipulation like this before I learned the term "visualize this" was more than just a phrase

Omg I thought I was alone. Never found a word for this.

When you say visualize, I assume you mean literally, into the actual field of vision, as a tangible visible object.

I never tried edibles or shrooms until around age 26. I did some experiments meditating on them, alone in the dark, with music, for hours. Mind you I had previous sober breakthroughs of a "yogic" or chi nature.

One of my tests involved observing the static and patterns on the inside of my eyelids. I realized that those sub-visuals aren't physical at all--they exist purely within the visual cortex nerves. It's like having a video of static noise overlayed over the video feed from your eyes, but with the opacity turned down.

I realized that all images I see take place inside the brain, not the eye, but are pulsed in sync with the eye, receiving. Thus I postulated signals should be able to be sent along the nerve as well as received. So I worked hard, concentrated, and found i could influence the behavior of the static behind my eyelids. With drugs, then later without, I found I could work my way up to the shapes of numbers, letters, and platonic solids. They very nearly looked real enough to touch.

However I got set back 6 months ago. I rarely drink alcohol, but at a party got super drunk and combined with an edible (terrible idea). Worst hangover of my life. Ever since then the visuals have been fuzzy and harder to control. I think I damaged something.

Attached: 1564557145830.png (512x512, 761K)

I have this a little bit. But I know someone with wildly high IQ who is just as you described. Hyper social, until he gets into his coding. Then he becomes irritable and closed off for a while afterward.

Its a spectrum, going from hyperphantasia with visualisations through eye constantly etc, to moderate where you can see imagerybut possibly not through eye, to aphantasic where there is no imagery, in eye or mind

shouldn't it be 2 AND 4?

Star and dot are always opposite sides regardless of rotation, cant be 2

ANOTHER IQ THREAD PEPE!!!