I started playing guitar yesterday. It's a lot of fun and I'm learning the cords! It does hurt my fingers a bit...

I started playing guitar yesterday. It's a lot of fun and I'm learning the cords! It does hurt my fingers a bit, but I'm told I'll get used to that. You guys have any tips for a newbie?

Attached: 1471483725064.png (409x409, 176K)

>chords
What kind of guitar you working with?

do as much fingerpicking as possible, learn barre chords asap, learn on classical/acoustic rather than electric (youll thank me), and pick up another string instrument (cello, upright bass, viola or violin).

Acoustic guitar.

it's gonna take A WHILE so be patient with yourself.

Well I've heard there was a secret board
That posted bane and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really like funposting, do you?
Well it goes like this:
I post, he's pissed, his hotpockets fall and the ban is swift
The baffled janny says "3 days will do ya"
Zero moolah
Zero moolah
Zero moolah
Zero moooooolah

Well your ban was strong but not bulletproof
I clicked airplane mode and your ban went poof
Your hotpocket burned your tongue as I screwed ya
Hiro glued you to your computer chair
And said stop that frog, but you couldn't fare
And from the ad revenue came zero moolah

Zero moolah
Zero moolah
Zero moolah
Zero moooooolah

Attached: 102356A7-46F2-404C-9D57-3AB2A65F7C46.jpg (511x671, 42K)

What are the barre chords?

give up now and save yourself some time.

I ain't a quiter like you, nigger.

look up tommy emmanuel and try his """beginner""" lessons, he's probably the greatest guitar player alive and an all around awesome guy.

Here’s the best tip you’re going to get today. Learn about guitars first before learning how to play one. What do you know about your acoustic guitar? Here are some really important things you really should know about it. What is the neck scale length? And what is the neck nut width? And how big is your hand in comparison to an average adult male hand? No matter what type of guitar you want to play, electric, folk, classical, there will always be a choice of a guitar that fits your hand the best. Well at least that was the most important thing I ever learned about playing a guitar.

check out justinguitar.com and work through the beginner's course.

learn piano instead dude, seriously

Learn proper hand positioning early so you dont develop bad habits that are hard to kick later. That and if you enjoy it make sure you do it every day its easy to fall out of the cycle and just stop

Dont listen to this user. Play to have fun if you really want to improve on that later you can once you get the basics down

this. helped me a ton when i started out

>barre
dude it’s 3 fucking letters B-A-R bar. How can you get a word so fucked up?

get a guitar stand and keep it around a place where you hang out often. practicing for 10 minutes every day beats practicing an hour a week.

Do stretches, and listen to your body, if your joints or ligaments start to hurt stop for the day.

Attached: QaYywxk.png (540x533, 388K)

you will probably not ever be a great guitarist no matter how much you practice so why even bother

You should try learning "stairway to heaven" no one knows how to play that

I don't play to be great, I play to have fun you nihilistic butt-munch.

Everyone except Jimmy Page knows how to play it

make sure to learn proper technique early on and keep making sure your technique is good, otherwise you'll get to a certain skill level and stop getting better, that happened to my friend, he would practice constantly and not get any better because his technique was shit

the first time you ever touch a guitar, if you can’t pick it up and immediately play Smoke On The Water by ear without any lesson or demo, then put the fucking thing back down, turn 360 and walk away

nothing is more cringe then some faggot that can't play guitar trying to look cool strumming some basic ass chords that sounds like dog shit. If I hear some one and they suck at guitar I will bash their head in with a rock. so practice and get good or else motherfucker.

once you start learning barre chords make it easy on yourself by pulling back with your elbow a bit rather than applying all the pressure with just your hand. much more clarity with less strain. you dont have to be encyclopedic with your knowledge of scales and all, but an understanding why the notes you're playing work together is important if you ever want to get into improv or writing. if you're playing an electric, dont hide behind a wall of distortion. clean your tone up a bit and you might find small mistakes you're making. and dont be afraid to branch out. i started playing because i wanted to be teh heviest br00tluls guitarist out there but exploring genres like blues and jazz and latin made my playing ability much better. focus on being a well rounded guitarist with a solid foundation, not one who can sweep pick like it's nobody's business but can't hold down a blues shuffle with a band.

Dont use tabs as a crutch force yourself to learn notes

don’t listen to this guy take LSD tabs it helps

Attached: tumblr_n97eud96qM1s39b3lo1_400.gif (258x360, 624K)