Any coin fags here?

Any coin fags here?

I got this US nickel that looks like it has a layer of copper on top like a penny. I know that sometimes "error" coins can be worth something to the right buyer. What do you think?

Attached: IMG_1123.jpg (2441x1489, 636K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X1pB6O6AYMU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Weirdest nickel I've ever seen.

Attached: IMG_1124.jpg (3264x2448, 1.23M)

bump

Attached: IMG_1126.jpg (1786x1410, 387K)

Not a error, some fag was playing with chemicals or trying to electroplating

>Two or more metals in the same coin
You sure it's not an unsealed metalmind of some sort?

There's always another secret, yeah?

Modern coins are mostly copper and only plated with nickel. Somehow the nickel was removed.

How sure are you?
Also check out this fun one I got as change. Note that the year ends in 88

Attached: IMG_1128.jpg (1871x1323, 697K)

I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures but the copper is definitely on top.

Attached: IMG_1130.jpg (1548x1184, 572K)

It's just an abused fucking nickel where the outer layer of (nickel) plating is peeling/flaking/corroded away from the copper base.

My shit camera can't take a decent macro shot. The copper is what's peeling away.

that looks stamped

Obviously

well, that's not how coins are made. The copper can't have gotten on top at the mint. Somebody fucked that coin up.

Still seems odd that someone would try to electroplate it. I think I'm going to take it to an appraiser just in case.

I think it got plated somehow after it left the mint.
While we're on the subject, there was one time I was etching copper circuit boards and threw in a post-1982 penny. (Copper plating on a zinc slug.) What was left was a chalky white slug with just a hint of Lincoln's face on it.

copper washing

nothing special at all.

That's cool. One time I put a potato chip bag in the microwave for 10 seconds and it shrunk...

What is copper washing?

I believe that discoloration is due to the error in striking. I'd definitely take that to an appraiser, looks double-stamped to me.

its not weird at all. If you need a known metal you want to test electroplating bath on you have a pocket full of them.

>One time I put a potato chip bag in the microwave for 10 seconds and it shrunk...
Huh. Low-calorie chips.

just put a penny into a cup of lemon juice and it will come out flat grey

Bullshit. Copper is too expensive. Pennies are mostly zinc with only a layer of copper on top.

Attached: 670px-User-Completed-Image-Shrink-a-Bag-of-Chips-2014.08.30-15.46.39.0.jpg (670x500, 43K)

Was thinking this or maybe heat

2 for $1?! Where'd you find that bargain?

fug

reminds me somewhat of this

youtube.com/watch?v=X1pB6O6AYMU

i think chip bags are just plastic with a layer of mylar or something on the inside to keep out them UV's

any gas station 6 years ago

thats a counterstamped penny

Meijer stores in the Midwest sell those (regional Walmart competitor).

(and no, I'm not the guy who posted it)

Google image.
But I remember seeing $.50 small bags in Brooklyn bodegas

now its worth less than 1 cent :(

Possibly hydroelectric acid. It will react with nickle but not copper without help.
Reminds me of pennies that have been in contact with mercury but that's copper turning silvery.

Used to be a regular sized bag for a dollar now it's like almost 2 dollars for it

Again, the copper is definitely on top of the nickel.

it depends where you live. If you live in areas with lots of nogs then you'll see the 2$ bags. If you live in a normal area then you see the ones marked .99 cents from the factory.

similarly the arizona iced tea thats marked "Still just 99 cents" but sold for 3 bucks in nog infested areas

>hydrochloric

Arizonas still cost 99ยข here, live in Cali btw
I remember the chips were a $1.10 before and then they price just went up.
If I want an Arizona drink I can get one that's like 30 oz at the dollar store but they usually only have like 2 flavors

It's a 1 1/8 ounce bag. Those have always been 2/$1, then they changed it like 3 months ago to 2/$1.50 because Jews are greedy, and Americans are dumb. Honestly you get like 15 cheetos in the bag. it's not worth a quarter.

>Source: Not a fat ass Cheeto enthusiast or anything, I just work for Frito-Lay.

Might as well get the bigger bags for like 2.50
That's he much they cost here

This could be worth millions!

guy just order the 15 pound "garbage bag" from the factory. They used to have it on amazon until all the single moms caught on and started using it to feed their kids

Chemist here.
If you dip a nuckle into cupric nitrate you'll get three same thing.
Its worthless

What?
Was the bag filled with left over chips and stuff?

Incorrect. If anything it was plated after it left the mint.

apparently its first of line cheetos or something. basically chips that are made right after the equipment was cleaned or replaced so MAYBE its missing some cheese dust.

honestly it didn't matter to me it was just a massive bag of cheetohs for 30 bucks

Sounds tasty but they're probably stale
Wonder how they tasted with no flavoring on them

Coinfag here. Let me tell you that you shouldn't be coming to fucking Yea Forums for numismatic information.

Go to an actual message board for numismatists and ask them, or take your coin to a local coin shop and have them take a look at it. Google coin shops in your area, I can guarantee you that there is at least one within driving distance.

15 lbs? How much does that cost? They'll all go stale before you get through the first 2 pounds.

the ones i got weren't stale they were in a big vacuum sealed bag that was inside a thick pvc bag inside of a black bag inside of a cardboard box.

I'm relatively sure its not supposed to be legal to sell as "food" as nothing on the box indicated their cheetoh origin it was just a clean moving box you'd see at a UPS store

i'm looking for them now but can't find using the key words i used to use

30 after shipping. i gave away as much as i could and ate a fair bit but the rest got thrown to the ducks at a local lake.

I think the big bags are like 6 or so ounces maybe 7
And it's 16 ounces for a pound
So like 30 big bags I think
Neat. How about you share some with us

Thanks for providing zero useful information.

wrong its what happens when you expose a nickel and a copper plated or pure copper penny to an acidic solution in the same vicinity i've done this before

ah nvm i just found out why i can't find them anymore. Cheetos caught on or unrelated started selling 6 pound bags in mexico.

This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.