Can a Buddhist answer a question for me? I know the idea is that suffering can be 100% avoided, but what about torture...

Can a Buddhist answer a question for me? I know the idea is that suffering can be 100% avoided, but what about torture? Nails being ripped out, waterboarded, electrocuted. Or even accidental injury like stubbing your toe. Is the idea to just not resist, accept the experience for what it is?

Attached: E7006820-D809-4517-8E0F-1B12411564E8.jpg (235x222, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Suffering is caused by desire. First step to enlightenment is stopping yourself off worldly desires.

I know this. So just don’t desire for change, accept current experience?

I mean if you really want to study Buddhism do that. There are plenty of resources. Meditation is a big part of it

I’ve done a fair amount of reading, but it’s just a question I’ve never seemed to have the understanding to find an answer for myself. So I was hoping that others may some wisdom / explanation to help it make sense. From what I know it seems to be tied to acceptance of now

Not really. They believe the material world is a collective delusion so "the now" doesn't really matter because it's not real

I would highly, highly recommend youtubing any of Alan Watts' lectures.

He really goes into detail and breaks down a lot of how buddhism works from a practical and psychological standpoint. It's easy, soothing, mind-opening stuff.

It's like in MGS 3 where Snake gets tortured but because he's trained to resist they don't get any answers out of him.
Not sure if buddhist Snake would just not feel pain but he'd resist too.

Where does that idea come from though? A lot of what I know about Buddhism when thought about can be backed by experience. But there is no experience I have that leads to that conclusion. Kind of sounds like the beginning to a schizo rabbit hole
Will watch, thanks for the recommendation

While we're talking to religious people, why don't modern Jews sacrifice animals to God like in old testament

NICE SPOOKS FAGGOTS HAHAHAHAHA

Attached: stirnstanza 2.jpg (992x880, 157K)

I’m not saying that one can’t be tolerant to pain. From what I have read, that a state of mind can be achieved where you don’t suffer. Which makes me think while being tortured, it wouldn’t be any different than not being tortured

based stirnerposter

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta

Nothing in Buddhism says that suffering can be 100% avoided in this lifetime, only that it can be lessened by following the eightfold path. Physical pain is unavoidable in certain circumstances for obvious reasons, what they’re really referring to is mental anguish.

I’ll read through all of that. Where does consciousness fall into that idea? That all we are is an awareness of an experience?

Isn’t nirvana the state of mind that is without suffering? That makes a whole lot of sense, because I knew that a primary idea is that suffering was unavoidable.

That depends on who you talk to, but my understanding is that Nirvana is the state achieved after the cycle of karma and rebirth is broken. I’ve also heard people refer to it in ways that seem interchangeable with enlightenment, which would suggest that it is achievable in this lifetime, but I don’t know nearly enough about the subject to say which camp is right or wrong. But the first noble truth is that suffering, pain, and misery exist within this life. They seem to always make a distinction between pain and suffering though. Pain would be in the physical sense. Sometimes you have a headache, sometimes you stub your toe, sometimes you get sick and die. Suffering is different though. Suffering is a state of mind brought about by attachment to that which is impermanent. When you’re feeling pain, suffering is what you feel when you are wishing that you were never in pain, and that suffering can be lessened by accepting that the pain, like everything in the impermanent world, will pass.

Thank you for that response. That explanation helped me grasps the roots better and was easier for me to understand than the websites and articles I’ve read.

Np, homie

You have been visited by the Laura of not great, not terrible threads.

This thread is currently reading 19 replies (not great, not terrible).

Attached: Laura.jpg (1278x637, 108K)