Ask an experimental physicist anything

Ask an experimental physicist anything

Attached: waveguides.jpg (800x1015, 70K)

why are u a fuckin nerd

Who is phone?

Because I like nerd stuff I guess.

we are all phone.

Are we going to have one day anti-gravity technology (cars,airplanes, trucks, etc) released for public, if so, when will that day come?

Should I get shorty or long tube headers, for my 318 Magnum? Looking for more low end torque.

Is a floatring dragon dick possible, or is negative charged PC real?

How much psi can the rectum of a cat take? Is it strong enough to take a over powered potato cannon loaded with dragon dildos?

Attached: main-qimg-d00ca731693ae30da26b2034a45430e0-c.jpg (600x886, 217K)

"Anti-gravity" is kind of a buzzword since that's just anything where the force is equal to or greater than the force due to gravity.
I'd say long tube, but unless you're really trying to max what you pull from the 318 i'd put focus on other areas, like the ignition, but i'm not a car guy so i dunno what's best
I mean sure, if you had a really large electrostatic charge on the dragon you could get it to levitate
I'm going to assume the cat rectum is roughly the same as a humans, but without knowing the exact force from the potato cannon and the dimensions of the particular DD it's hard to say
Those are kinda pretty

have you ever experimented with the gay?

why you have bunch of wave guides i'm a electronics and communication engineer and i fell offended :)

I have not, the gay has been an elusive field of research for me and i've never felt it's calling

Connected to a scuba tank which basically needs to be secured and its one shot so around 3000 psi give or take. And your average 14oz dd

One of my primary fields of work was calculating the dielectric function of materials using the cavity resonator perturbation method, and trying to extract general corrections for higher order frequencies of each waveguide.
Well some searching tells me that the average PSI to rupture the human colon is around 4 psi, so if you wanna do the math and find out the actual force the DD would be impacting, you could find it's surface area and calculate what the instantaneous psi would be on the poor cat. I don't think it'll make it

torque is best with long and narrow intake/exhaust. if you want hp wide and short. you can google this shit.

not OP but i like what i do an am good at it. plus it pays the bills. i must say, an experimental physicist has nothing on me, nerd-wise. hell, they are totally normal people compared to me.

but i'm cool with that.

The only thing most of us consider nerdier would be a theorist or a pure mathematician, so now i'm curious.

What is the capital of ecuador?

Quito

you are doing good stuff there , but man fuck this chebyshev shit
actually i have a friend who failed at this course 4 times

What area of physics do you experiment? Aerospace? Chip design? Simulations?

Do you find your knowledge useful outside of work?

How is waveguide named?

Also, you got a source of APC-7 collets that wont break the bank? I need to replace some of mine.

Can waveguides be filled with something that will behave like a gain medium for non-coherent waves?

I never took courses on signal processing or filter design, and most of the shit that comes up at my work is just third order bessel filters which are simple, that or just using delta functions for everything
I do experimental condensed matter, with a focus on radio frequency applications
In a general sense yea, I think studying physics just helps train your brain to think critically and grasp concepts quicker than others
it's pretty literal. It's a device that can guide waves of different frequencies
Sadly nah, i'd say APC-7 has been phased out and I work mostly in the 26.5-100Ghz range. My common connectors are just sma for our trashy stuff, K and V type for everything else

you may have a point, but you have forgotten the applied field. i do not research, but i must understand and create practical applications of others' work. it is a different skill set, but arguably no less nerdy.

What is pic related?

What experimental evidence is there for string theory? I hear theoretical physicists pushing it all the time, like it's already been confirmed, but I don't see how that's possible.

If there is proof, what practical uses could that information provide?

>it's pretty literal. It's a device that can guide waves of different frequencies

No, i mean why are they called WR90, 62, etc.

>Sadly nah, i'd say APC-7 has been phased out and I work mostly in the 26.5-100Ghz range.

Well my VNA still has them :(

stub design was very bad. also isn't bad for your health i can remember getting out of the lab with headaches and they didn't allow any pregnant woman even near the lab (even that we wore using vary low power stuff)

whats so fucking experimental bout it?

Off the top of my head i'd wanna say sure why not. I imagine you could fill a waveguide with a gas that acts as a gain medium or any other particular dielectric material if you could mold it to shape.
They're called waveguides, and as the name implies, they guide electromagnetic waves. They have really nice properties that restrict the waves based on the geometric dimensions of the waveguide itself
As of now, there is literally no way to experimental validate most types of "accepted" string theory (M-theory). The energy scales required to probe at their lengths are vastly beyond what we currently have. It gets pushed because right now it's an "elegant" solution to a lot of issues in QFT related stuff, and might be the way to merge QFT and gravity.
Oh good question. WRXX stands for "waveguide rectangular" and the numbers are the inner diameter of the waveguide.
What VNA are you running? We just got a N5247B on loan and it's the most beautiful piece of equipment I've got to play with
I get to build and break shit and experiment with why things never work

and hows that an experimental physics, that u cnat build a car?

Do you have a PHD?
What's your GPA?

Attached: 1561290382839.png (1200x603, 1023K)

critical thinking skills will help you in all parts of life. most people i have met do not understand what critical thinking is, sadly. unbiased research requires critical thought, unless you are publishing in Ladies Home, lol.

because that's for engineers. Physics focuses on novelty, engineering focuses on practicality

That’s interesting about the condensed matter. Do you go into 5 dimensional and quantum properties? Also, what is your opinion on 5G?

Make any homemade weapons?

Also what kind of condensed matter are you hitting with radio frequencies? Is this in computer simulations? What are you hoping to create/ find? Sounds like some weird ass shit.

>What VNA are you running?

HP 8720D and a HP8753D-000. I'm slumming, but all my work is cavity filters below 6 GHz.

so was there any discovery yet?

but if you build an break shit enough times, occasionally you can make said things work.

I don't have my PhD Yet. Got my MS and stepped out of academia for a bit to see if I liked industry. I plan on going back for my PhD in 2D topological materials, not sure if I wanna do theory or experiment yet.
Not sure what you mean by "5 dimensional". I've taken literal years of quantum mechanics ranging from field interactions of force carriers to quantum statmech and 2D quantum materials. My opinion on 5G is honestly that I don't know. Like any new tech it'll be years before we have enough statistical information to figure out what it does to the human body, since the human body is fucking complex. The physics of 5G isn't new, but there could always be some unexpected coupling to some bullshit inside of us.
"condensed matter" is a field in physics that pretty much means anything other than particle physics. I used RF stuff to study the dielectric properties of materials (charged fluids, carbon nanotubes, etc). The dielectric function of something is pretty much how well is resists an electric field, and how much of the field is dissipated when it passes through the material.
It's all about making due with what you have. I did work with plenty of S-band waveguides and frankly I hated those fucking things because lining up the copper irises and the flanges at the right angles for maximum Q factors was a bitch.

Thoughts on US measurement system?

It's great for non-scientific work. The Fahrenheit scale is way better than other scales for human temperatures, and since I grew up in the US i'm just used to using feet and inches to approximate things

What's your favorite physics joke?

>It's all about making due with what you have. I did work with plenty of S-band waveguides and frankly I hated those fucking things because lining up the copper irises and the flanges at the right angles for maximum Q factors was a bitch.

lol, it's a hobby. I always wanted to do RF design as a career, but there's not much money in it.

>"elegant" solution
>merge QFT and gravity

Seems rather wasteful at this stage in the game. We still have much work to do with applying the physics we've already confirmed. Until theories can be confirmed, what benefit do they provide except giving a very tiny minority the excitement that they might have figured it out?

It's like speculating on multi-verses, and all that. Seems as useful as weird stoner theories at this point. Am I wrong about that?

Studying physics.
What field should I go into for my bachelor's thesis?
I tried x-ray absorption spectroscopy. Hated it.

Really? I work at one of the larger semiconductor groups in the US and the pay is pretty damn acceptable. If you're willing to get into networking hardware with the rise in data flow requirements the frequencies used are only getting higher and higher. There's a lot to be done in the field of hardware design when you're trying to make devices push out 1000Gb/s without coupling to literally every fucking component on earth
I get that feeling, but honestly yea I'd say you are wrong. Both theory and experiment work together, and the reason we still need pure theorists cranking out seemingly useless papers is because a lot of unexpected results can fall out of them after people look long enough. If we only focused on experimental development we would be at a standstill because the next required particle accelerator would be the size of the planet and we know that's never getting funded. As theory expands in all directions it gives us experimental insight into other areas we can search with our given equipment. For example, even though we can't directly probe the possibility of strings at the LHC, we can rule out some theories based on how they predict the behavior of other particles we can observe. In other words, we need theorists to point us in the right direction when we're sifting through so much data

>Fahrenheit scale is way better than other scales for human temperatures
I dispute your scientific credentials. No analytical scientist talks like this or comes to conclusions so flippantly.

fwiw, SI units work just fine for 'human measurements' and are superior for casual distances. If you are truely into science & engineering you will despise the continual conversions and lament US recalcitrance in adopting metric to make your life easier. Most of your colleagues do.

What do you have available? My undergrad work was on the thermodynamic properties of liquid crystals, but that got really theory heavy real fast.

>It's great for non-scientific work.

The size of waveguide is defined in mils (.001").

Suck it eurofags.

Literally every physicist I have worked with, be them theorists or experimentalists, find the Fahrenheit scale great for quick approximations. Since it's literally just 0 is cold and 100 is hot (for an average human) unlike the 0 is kind of cold and 100 is killing you, or 0 is killing you and 100 is killing you

Im a recent physics grad. Do you have any advice for me?

A large majority of my experience has been in experimental Nuclear&Partice physics. With a heavy focus on data analysis.

I don't think im going to do grad school yet, but what masters programs should i look at? Or what industry jobs?

If you want to go to grad school at all, never go for just an MS. In physics it's kind of a red flag. If you don't want to do physics, you could go for an MS in applied math/stats and look at working at pretty much any big data group (finance and places like google, amazon, facebook, etc). It depends on what you liked from your research. If you liked the actually particle physics and calculating cross sections, scattering amplitudes, etc look into a PhD for that. If you just liked the number crunching look for data analytics positions

Only through familiarity. Celsius is equally intuitive. You don't know something that literally the rest of the world is missing out on, we have smartened up while the US remains lazy. And it affects your work. And it annoys most every genuine scientist.

marsclimateorbiter.jpg

Ty

Attached: Snapchat414310500.jpg (1104x1186, 101K)

I suppose that makes sense, in the way that alchemy led to chemistry, or the luminiferous ether gave way to spacetime.

But why does it have to be so goddamn difficult, user? Why does my monkey brain want to know so badly, yet it struggles to even comprehend the basic concepts?

>Really? I work at one of the larger semiconductor groups in the US and the pay is pretty damn acceptable. If you're willing to get into networking hardware with the rise in data flow requirements the frequencies used are only getting higher and higher. There's a lot to be done in the field of hardware design when you're trying to make devices push out 1000Gb/s without coupling to literally every fucking component on earth

Yep, I actually work in telecom, and we're one of the major vendors for routing and switching. The RF engineering side of the house doesn't get paid what the sales engineering side does. It's sad, but anything pure engineering is always going to be much less paid than a customer facing role.

When I learned a PHD level engineer was only able to make 90-100k, I gave up on that.

Eh, I guess i'll just be a lazy american physicist if that's the case. In all work situations I use metric stuff, but like I said in my personal life I use what I grew up with and don't have some rabid hatred for it. I have literally worked in metrology but I'm able to separate work from walking around outside and guessing that it's 70 degrees because it's kind of hot but not really.
Because we're doing the best we can to explain things that are so far removed from our primal lives.
Oh man that's kind of lame. I'm pretty fresh out of my MS and make right between that number, and most of my coworkers that have been here longer make bank. I don't know how much the sales guys get, but I'd probably kill myself before I ever did that shit. I'm fine with making less money doing something novel, but I think that's one of the big differences between most physicists and engineers. I didn't pick the field for cash, I picked it because I thought it was neato.

As an experimental physicist, but more so as a person, are you doing alright? Not saying anything has to be particularly wrong, I'd just like to make sure everything is alright. If it isn't, we can talk :^) talking helps sometimes.

Eh, could be better and could be much worse. I've had moderate depression for like 4 years, and need to get off my ass and get back on meds and hitting the gym. Work has been eating away at my energy but that's true for everyone.

Still bolting lengths of plumbing together?
You used to think GHz needed ducting; what happened?

That's one I've always been curious about. How difficult is it to balance that "primal life" with the life of a scientist? I mean, you're as human as the rest of us. Do you have hobbies? What's your social life like? It's hard to imagine Einstein playing vidyas, or getting smashed with friends on a weekend.

That's understandable, motivating can be a lot harder than most might think. Some jobs make it harder to deal with depression, whether it's time, or lack of energy. I found I like to set a date on my calendar, about 1-2 weeks a day, and that's when I'll give it another go, whatever it may be. Gives me plenty of time, and by then I'm expecting it, and I'm more ready than I was. I've had my run in with depression on and off. I'm always foolish enough to believe it's gone away, even though I know it hasn't. Hang in there, and take care of yourself user. No matter where you may be, there are others cheering you on. I don't know you, and chances are I never will, but I've joined the list of those cheering you on, and wish you well.

At what point do you become a free form physicist?

I play music in my spare time, watch anime and get drunk with my roommate, and go on dates like everyone else. For some of us, work does become life, but if you love what you're doing that's generally not a problem. Even when I was in academia my colleagues and I would go to the bar every friday and complain about our research going nowhere or how awful it was teaching particular courses.
I wish you well as well. Depression sucks balls but it's beatable and i've learned that.

We call them mathematical physicists. It's when you bullshit hard enough that you can write down anything and people will believe you.

Sorry I don’t know much about it but I remember watching a video of a mathematician describing intersections of 5th dimensional objects. I didn’t know if you were working on stuff like that.

That makes sense. Maybe that perception exists because scientists are sometimes celebrities. You get that little snippet of them doing their jobs, and it gives the impression that their entire life is that.

Also
>I play music
Post your baby. I want to know what a genius rocks out on. Pic related is mine.

Attached: 20190603_190258 (1).jpg (2274x3810, 1.45M)

The definition of dimensions gets weird in physics. For example, I've solved problems in 6N dimensional phase space, which pretty much just means each particle (N) has 6 coordinates we care about (3 positions and 3 momenta) .
These are the only two I have with me right now (Squire vintage modified bass VI, Schecter Damien Elite 8) . I moved cross country and couldn't fit my others in my car, but they're nothing to write home about. Some epiphone les paul special, a cheap ibanez 4 string, and a cheap acoustic.

Attached: Capture1.png (1133x635, 1.32M)

So you BELIEVE in an existence with no Prime Mover, no Prime Cause and you are smart, but I believe in the Prime Cause, and I'm an ignorant Neanderthal?

Nope, you're whatever you want to be. I don't personally believe in anything.

those are waveguides, on what are you experimenting with them?

Attached: IMG_20181126_110753.jpg (1492x2048, 826K)

My previous work was on using the cavity perturbation technique to measure dielectric functions from the S to Ka band. Basically drill a small hole in the center of each guide where D is maximum, and measure the shift in the resonant frequency and the shift in the Q factor after you insert a sample into the hole

How do you like the active pickups on the Schecter? I have an Omen, which has humbuckers, but I kinda wish I had gone for the one with EMGs.

I'm too wimpy to go extended range. Neck's too wide for me. Even my bass is pushing it. I need to be comfortable lol

Attached: 20160217_0440482.jpg (2988x5312, 1.95M)

what are vaweguides

Nice Rickenbacker, I'm still saving up for a warwick i'll never be actually own...lol.
I like active pickups because i'm a sucker for good sustain. I don't think they make or break the guitar, and I still play plenty of stuff with humbuckers. Like any active setup, it sounds more "artificial" and less warm but if you know what you're getting it's a nice tool to have in the kit. I'm all about stranger instruments so i really enjoy extended range stuff, I want a proper 6 string bass just for the meaty solo work they can provide.

Well it was fun but I need to sleep. OP is leaving the thread.

There aren't a lot of niggers in the field is there?

Yeah, warwicks are pretty sick, but ungodly expensive. Just tell the government you need it for some kind of frequency analysis. I'm fine with my tax money going to sick bass solos.

Later man. Nice talking to you.

What is the integral of E •ds

What's the rate per cubic meter of virtual particle creation/annihilation, and what if anything can influence that value?