Does Yea Forums like goth music?

Does Yea Forums like goth music?

Attached: In The Flat Field.jpg (1200x1200, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oqvCDqOIQI0
youtu.be/5GWyyPXwpX4
youtube.com/watch?v=Tdte7FkfUmE&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=3
youtube.com/watch?v=VtRjYtbReEQ&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=8
youtube.com/watch?v=i9fSgUvT5iw
youtube.com/watch?v=j0x8SlZ0Htg&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=11
youtube.com/watch?v=gxRq23qVE8A&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=13
youtube.com/watch?v=2HSdiM8soqQ&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I never understood why it was called post-punk when it doesn't sound anything like punk.

Only tin eared twats like that album. There isn't even one half decent tune on it.

It came after punk.

The opening track fucking slaps. What are you talking about?
youtu.be/oqvCDqOIQI0

Bauhaus is considered Darkwave, i think.

I think Dive is pretty catchy.
youtu.be/5GWyyPXwpX4

It was the late 70's, punk was the critical darling, and all of the critics were so deep in their own postmodernist buttholes that when something kinda like punk but not really started being made, they just HAD to slap a "post" label and circlejerk around it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tdte7FkfUmE&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=3

youtube.com/watch?v=VtRjYtbReEQ&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=8

I like Older Tristania.
youtube.com/watch?v=i9fSgUvT5iw

Attached: Tristania_widow's_weeds.jpg (297x300, 30K)

youtube.com/watch?v=j0x8SlZ0Htg&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=11

Pretty crap really. They had two passable moments: Bela Lugosi's dead and their cover of Telegram Sam.

Goth was always a joke genre about playing fancy dress more than anything else.

Clan of Xymox's first album was great, if you could call that Goth.

youtube.com/watch?v=gxRq23qVE8A&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=13

Because it was meant as a way to rebel against the system after the punk era.

Many of the original punk bands started experimenting and incorporating elements of other genres like krautrock and dub into their music, and it became a new genre unto itself. They became the first wave of post-punk in 1978.

Howard Devoto of the Buzzcocks left to form Magazine, who were much more progressive and keyboard driven than the Buzzcocks.

Siouxsie & The Banshees began experimenting with the punk formula by adding more repetition, eastern influence, and songs that build up rather than short 2 minute punk songs.

Johnny Rotten left the Sex Pistols to form Public Image Ltd. who incorporated lots of dub and noise influence into their music.

Warsaw stopped playing straightforward punk and followed the Banshees example, with darker more repetitive songs, with lots of added reverb and atmosphere, and became Joy Division.

Wire stopped playing straightforward punk, as they had been on their first album, and went in a darker, moodier, more atmospheric direction.

This became post-punk, and it was made up of members of the original punk scene. In some ways, this makes post-punk the only valid punk subgenre. It's the most "true" continuation of the genre.

youtube.com/watch?v=2HSdiM8soqQ&list=PLcFosPM2nSJNqOwlz6FJ99oeWrz_MruVG&index=28

Best reply I’ve seen on here in years

Proto Punk and Punk, pre-1979, was fun. Modern Lovers, Buzzcocks, Dead Boys, Clash, Vibrators, Damned, Ramones, Pistols, Johnny Thunders, Saints etc.

It was poppy as fuck. The fun died with Oi, and festered with the west coast scene. Tossers like Henry Rollins etc. That wasn't punk. That was just thrash rock. They didn't get it.

Joy Division was proto synth pop.

This user did, but it was a long time ago. Contrary to the other comments, I find Bauhaus aged very well by comparison to most of the offerings.

I agree, and that's what I love about post-punk. It's dark and gloomy, but underneath all that, there's the playful and experimental spirit of punk rock. None of that tough guy hardcore posing. Just a bunch of sad boys playing weird left-field punk and singing about cheesy horror movies and bats and shit lol

Nothing to do with that. Post Punk simply meant "after punk." The term "indie" came later. The larger umbrella in those days was "alternative." But what was called alternative in some countries was pop in others, like the UK.

Post Punk/New Wave wasn't really gloomy. Most of it was pretty upbeat and poppy. Particularly the New Romantic wing and stuff coming out of Scotland like Simple Minds, Altered Images, Aztec Camera and Orange Juice.

The short lived Ska fad was also the opposite of gloomy, even where it intersected with the whole shouty skinhead thing.

I fucking hate hardcore. Black Flag sucks and hardcore kids are picks. I like the Misfits though. Earth AD is the only hardcore album I can tolerate.

Attached: maxresdefault (1) (1).jpg (953x953, 243K)

>pretty upbeat and poppy
This. They still play New Order, Siouxsie, and Bauhaus in some clubs on 80s night. They were making "dark" dance music.

Don't forget Depeche Mode. You literally cannot have a dark 80s night without Personal Jesus and Enjoy The Silence.