Ask an experimental physicist anything

Ask an experimental physicist anything

Attached: waveguides.jpg (800x1015, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scottaaronson.com/democritus/
80000hours.org
youtube.com/watch?v=bYJRW9ofNO8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So, do you do anything interesting at work?

Depends on what you consider interesting. I like some parts of my job but a lot of experimental work is kind of tedious and just fixing shit and scratching your head wondering why things aren't working

If you expose a cinder block to some plutinium, to give it a large dose of radiation, then remove it, how long will the cinder block remain highly radioactive?

how come people only have two balls.

have you ever seen any plutonium or large quantities of uranium?

That's a good question, probably has something to do with redundancy in biological systems. I never studied regular biology so i dunno
I'm not an expert on radiology or nuclear physics so i'm not totally sure. There's been a few studies on it iirc though
Nope, I've worked with very few radioactive materials

whats your Ph.d in?

Have you ever experimented the physics?

Do you believe in free will?
Is Gerard 't Hooft the best?

if i were to shove my head up my own asshole would it come out my mouth?

As of now I only have my MS and it was focused on electron transport dynamics, dielectric function measurements, and a bit of CNT work. I got a job for a semiconductor company with an R&D position, but I want to go back and get my PhD with a focus on theoretical condensed matter, namely further investigations on the fractional quantum hall effect, and non-abelian anyon statistics.
I have indeed experimented the physics
Free will is iffy for me, I'm not silly enough to think that the uncertainty principle means free will exists, but there's still a lot about the brain we don't know.
Hooft did some great work in fundamental particle theory, but I'm not at a level to greatly appreciate his work since I focus on condensed matter systems and only know a tad of particle
Nah

If I ate myself would I be twice as big or half as big?

you would be the same till you digested what you ate, then you would be less

what are those specific parts used for?

That makes no sense. The nutrients from your meal ought to make you gain weight.

Kek

Attached: 1560915753212.jpg (960x960, 69K)

ever take an iq test? What did you get?

U like capacitorssss???

cinderblocks are already radioactive due to their flyash content

merely putting a cinderblock next to some plutonium would not do anything, since plutonium does not produce a significant amount of activating radiation under mundane conditions.

What kinda waves are you guidin'?

do you actually use math in your day to day work or is it just bullshit peddled by "higher education"

FUCKING MAGNETS
HOW THE FUCK DO THEY WORK?

Attached: 1532159089207.solve (1).jpg (937x870, 123K)

Doom trooper?

What does atomic/subatomic "spin" correspond to physically? Is it just an arbitrary label? Or does it actually correspond to the direction they are spinning? If so, how do non-integer spins work?

What does Pi equal?

Those are waveguides, and as the name implies they guide waves. They're used to direct different frequency electromagnetic waves from point A to point B. They're kind of like old school fiber optics (though they still see use today)
But your total mass as a whole would decrease, you can't create more mass from nothing on a macro scale. Energy from your consumed body would be wasted as heat and sound and whatnot.
Not really, they're kind of boring
waves between 13 and 50Ghz generally
oh boi it's complicated. It's a purely quantum phenomenon that has to do with minimizing energy of electron spins
I haven't done enough TQFT to respond to this. I only know the basics of 2D+1 Chern-Simons TQFT and how it relates to 2D electron gas
It's an arbitrary label for a fundamental property that kind of behaves like normal angular momentum. electrons and the like don't actually "spin" about an axis (an electron is considered a point particle so we don't really even have an axis to spin them around). Look into something called the Stern-Gerlach experiment if you want a nice physical understand of what spin is and how we found it

it's a subatomic property that has a lot of math that behaves like angular momentum

Trying to visualize it like a newtonian property probably will not be helpful.

Is the earth flat?

>Yea Forums higher intelligence in a nutshell

Are you actually a Lab Technician / Tard Wrangler
in an Elementary / Middle school or some shit like that ?

I don't think so, and neither does anyone whos studied classical mechanics

in spherical geometries, yes

Clearly not an engineer. Go fuck yourself with some trips, 101 freshmanfag.

Luckily no, I would say i'm a tard wrangler in an R&D lab for a semi-conductor company. Most of my coworkers are engineers by trade, but my boss is a physicist so he hired me to provide some more fundamentals and "meat" to the group

Is this possible? Have you considered Dick Earth?

Attached: 1557618002880.jpg (600x590, 126K)

>Experimental Physicist
>Doesn't know the Earth is flat

Attached: 1532160247577.solve (6).png (1920x1080, 1007K)

How hard is Physics 3? I've heard it's pretty intense math-wise would it be a bad idea to take this fucking shit in the summer?

pi is gay. anyone who even cares about it and not e isn't even worthy of calling themselves a nerd. like, even a total, ultra autistic left brain nerd would think it's the most fascinating thing in the world, if they ever looked closer at it and if they had the right brain creative thinking, they'd come to the realization that:

is so fucked up it's scary. it's generally never really considered as a decimal number because its effect is taken for granted in equations but the fact that it repeats the same four digits, twice in a row, and then the angles of a right triangle is fucking bizarre.

we only use base 10 because we happen to have 10 fingers. we only consider a circle to have 360 degrees because we're on this very planet. if e is a real "thing", it's so fucked up because it's as if it could only mean that to creatures like us, giving validity to our existence. this information is so volatile, it's probably considered "secret" because it flips both atheists and theists and religious extremists out. that's why it's generally represented as 2.72.

im an IT major so math can go fuck itself

You'd need to use Dick Matter and Dick Energy.

I hear that CERN confirmed the existence of dick matter in 2014 using their LHC.

I don't do mathematical physics, sorry
What's physics 3? Is that like an intro to modern physics? Lemme know the syllabus and I can tell you

Attached: 2odn95.jpg (804x644, 120K)

Kek, I know you. You spend your day watching anime and hardly ever work.

What happened in the year 1828?

Dude I fucking wish. I work swing shift and generally stay late at my lab

>What's physics 3
Elements of simple harmonic motion, wave motion, geometric and physical optics are considered. The wave and particle duality of nature is emphasized and made plausible by an examination of the important experiments and theories which lead to the modern concepts of matter and radiation. The conservation laws are broadened to include the equivalence of mass and energy.

Check'd

Attached: 1452732766696.png (1200x882, 710K)

What a wuss.

Attached: scales.jpg.1492561638731.jpg (900x720, 168K)

>is so fucked up it's scary. it's generally never really considered as a decimal number because its effect is taken for granted in equations but the fact that it repeats the same four digits, twice in a row, and then the angles of a right triangle is fucking bizarre.
>we only use base 10 because we happen to have 10 fingers. we only consider a circle to have 360 degrees because we're on this very planet. if e is a real "thing", it's so fucked up because it's as if it could only mean that to creatures like us, giving validity to our existence. this information is so volatile, it's probably considered "secret" because it flips both atheists and theists and religious extremists out. that's why it's generally represented as 2.72.
What exactly are you trying to say? Because what you typed was nearly incomprehensible?

Why haven't tokamaks been more successful? Why are plasmas collapsing so quickly? What part of the sun's dynamics are we missing out on besides mass, does it have something to do with magnetic reconnection events at the surface of the plasma? I just feel like tokamaks should work. Why no worky? When get fusion power?

Also what think of nuclear power?

Attached: f5bc7f48c4196a8fb006143d7dc375b5.jpg (1091x1300, 139K)

ping pong ball side plummets at exactly 400 newtons per miles per hour

LHC stands for Large Hardon Cockrider, right?

How do we escape the collapse of a false vacuum?

You meant minutes per hour, user.

Attached: 1547458962498.png (1352x980, 286K)

Euler was born.
weren't there numbers in e that corresponded to his birth day and month and year?

It's seriously moe.

Do you have opinions on quantum electrodynamics being a generalization of probability based on the 2-norm instead of the 1-norm? I read Scott Aaronson's book on the topic but didn't really get it.

nope i messed that up it was not eulers birth date
but the number e has a significant birht date on it i remember tho

Oh no it won't be that bad at all. I found that to be way easier than physics II personally. geometric optics is real straight forward, wave motion comes down to playing with 2 equations (you won't be deriving it for real or anything, but harmonic motion is like the foundation of so much damn physics) and you'll probably cover the basics of special relativity and play around with energy mass equivalence with maybe some four-vectors. It's a healthy mix of challenge with interesting subject matter if you like physics
If the buoyant force of the steel ball is greater than the mass of the ping pong ball, it'll tip towards the steel. Just draw the FBD's and it's clear
Tokamaks are a fucking nightmare to build, that's why. Magnetohydrodynamics is a tough field, and we have yet to really optimize all tests conditions required for any sort of helical plasma generators. Fusion is technically possible but even now still in its infancy.
I think Nuclear power is the best choice we have in terms of "clean" energy
We don't, we pray it never happens in our lifetime, or hope that someone finds a way to math us out of it
I honestly don't know much about this, but i'll read into it, seems cool

This is the book + course notes on it: scottaaronson.com/democritus/

I didn't do the course but the book kinda reads like lecture notes, in that it sometimes makes large leaps and you feel like you missed some context. But you'll probably be able to fill in the gaps better than I could since i'm no physicist

What’s a job a normal person can do in the sciences? I’ve always wanted to work in research, but I don’t have the math background., I am honest and everyone I meet remarks about how personable and nice and patient I am. I’m an aircraft mechanic with a degree in composites, but I really just like working with people to dig into unusual things and try to understand them better. There must be something I can do of more use to society, you know? What to do, what to do...

fluffer

There isn't one.
You HAVE to be good at bullshitting and pretending you're doing something useful to do any sort of 'science' job.

:(

:)

Favorite interpretation of quantum mechanics?

I'll check it out, but honestly i get a little iffy when QC guys start talking about QED/QFT related aspects. In all honesty you don't need to know much physics to do quantum computing, so it can lead to misconceptions and a mix of notation/meaning.
Honestly, you can do a lot. If you don't mind some kinda grunt work to start you can be a lab tech. You can get positions for a lot of semi-conductor companies to work on lithography, plasma etching, wafer processing, etc and move up from the industry. There's a guy in my team who did just that and he knows his shit when it comes to our lab. If you want a serious research position sadly you'll need the math and the degree to back it up

Sounds fishy.

Attached: 1444962993713.jpg (840x672, 132K)

Can't tell if this is irony, as he's really shitty at pretending he knows what he's talking about with that bullshit statement.

More trips.

Jules Verne

for real though you might like this site if you're thinking of a career change and want to maximize usefulness to society: 80000hours.org

I'm in the shut up and calculate camp.
Off the top of my head it's better to switch, I think you'd have a 3/8 chance to win by switching, but only 1/4 by staying

variable change is for niggers. you stick with your gut or read the hosts emotional queue's

Not OP but chance because by eliminating one empty door, you are increasing your odds from the initial 25% to 33.333...%

I'm the guy who asked about physics 3, thanks user

Sounds great, most of what I do people consider grunt work, I don’t mind it at all. It’s all got to get done.

I’m not sure taking on more school debt is plausible at this point. But maybe I don’t need a serious research position, maybe I could find a happy niche just being a really great lab technician. I’ll look into it. Thank you for the tip, user.

Have fun, I enjoyed teaching it when I was in grad school.

Not a bad plan, everyone loves when a lab tech knows what the fuck is going on. When I can go "hey X can you please fix this shit because i'm an idiot" they get to do their job, and I can focus on the bigger picture and more academic-ey related portion of my job. We all gotta work together

basic probability work
It’s even more probable that yo mama is now ducking off the neighbors dog behind door A, by much greater than the 11% gain. Assplain why or I tell ur sister u stole her panties.

Hope do you resist the urge to steal a laser?

what are those specific waveguides used for

shizophrenia

IT IS A QUAD...GLAZIER!
THERE IS NO ESCAPE

Attached: 6E8B76BB-BCB5-4A65-9ADC-9F753A247546.jpg (474x240, 14K)

I'd fuck the bitch and make her chose the right one or ill cum in her and leave her with the retard rape baby

The lasers in my lab are like 6' long in their enclosure and would weigh a ton so I don't really think about trying to steal those. Now the network analyzer on the other hand....
In the picture? I dunno. They serve a variety of purposes. I used waveguides of different dimensions to pick particular resonant frequencies to study the frequency dependence of the dielectric function of fluids

stay

But if you chose B initially, you would be forced to change after the reveal. Why if you chose A, for example, could you not choose it again for the same odds?

Do you like this new Tony Endz video?

youtube.com/watch?v=bYJRW9ofNO8

the man speaks truth

Not a fan of whatever this is...lol. My music taste is more in the black metal/grindcore area

how did you get the grades to become a scientist? did you find a cool technique to learn faster or manipulate the system in your favor or something? or are you just a smartass?

Honestly neither. I was pretty average in my department, got like a 3.4ish gpa in undergrad. I got my position not because of grades but because I get shit done in a lab setting. I did research with a lot of professors in undergrad, put in the hours, and got the letters of rec I needed. My math skills aren't top notch by any means

literally just show up to class. it's as simple as that.

She can travel through time and swap your mind into a poodle. Don't antagonize her.

Attached: e6799f248a3219e585d17ecdfe4a3df0.jpg (2250x4000, 935K)

I swap my dick between her asshole and mouth while we fuck.

tfw no qt neuroscientist to call you out on your shit and also love you more than you could ever no

And then she time leaps into your dad when you were a kid, and you remember him doing that to you, while she doesn't at all. It's not worth it.

I was told I needed almost full scores to become a scientist. now I kinda want to try and give it a shot again. I have better things to do than grinding my grades to perfection anyways, but if I only need to show up and not fuck shit up, then I really want to follow my original dream of creating a sex robot

It depends on what you want to do clearly, and how saturated the field is. If I wanted to go into theoretical physics i'd need to work a lot harder and get better grades, but I went into experimental work, which means I need to know how to figure shit out in a lab setting.

They exist. Just search for one.

Attached: duke-kurisu.1535432647555.jpg (960x890, 117K)

while she studied witchcraft I studied the shaft. I studied how to penetrate and when to thrust. her witchcraft has nothing on my legendary rape skills. this peasant girl will ooze out my seed, and while she cries for her mother, ill rape her bitch mom too

but how do I get to where I need to be to have a homemade robot cunt around my cock? actually a serious question.

Obviously she can't be too bright if she doesn't understand how much I'd like that.

Agreed about nuclear power. I notice physicists tend to admit that it will have to be the "bridge" away from carbon, the renewables are unrealistically low yield even if you do cool shit like pic related. It really can't be said we didn't try, I think.

Attached: MW-EI067_ivanpa_20160316201530_ZH.jpg (890x501, 283K)

Better men than you have failed.

Attached: vlcsnap-2016-12-13-23h39m20s565.png (1280x738, 926K)

Tips for somebody that desperately wants to get into physics but is also fucking retarded?

Are you a Nigger

Yea all the other sources are location dependent, or just not efficient at all. If we could actually build nuclear reactors from this damn decade things would be great

Never hurts to try. I've taught plenty of intro courses at this point, and me and my coworkers agree that there isn't really any innate "smarts" for the vast majority of people. It's all about drive and willingness to work hard. Most people don't want to put in the effort (which is honestly reasonable, I spent way to many 12-16 hour days cranking out graduate homework or doing lab work). If you have the drive you can do it
Nope, white as rice

>Yea Forums not getting that a light minute (c.f. light year) is a measure of distance so 8 minutes / hour is a perfectly sensible way to define a speed.

Is there a difference in mean/distribution of IQ among sexes?

IQ is correlated positively with hand size.

I dunno, there's probably some sociology papers on that

Careful of the selection bias OP. You were dealing with people that were already sorted and weeded out throughout their elementary and high school career so you were only really interacting with a small right-hand portion of the bell curve of human intelligence to begin with.

it's a distance you dip

these petty pervs have only raped their sisters. I am no petty rapist. I'm the rape lord. the scream my name in battle. I can rape anyone. as a child, I raped Jeanne d’Arc. the French tried to stop me but immediately surrendered after I officially declared war on their nation. I laugh when I look back at that. I was such an amateur at rape at that time. if the witch travels back in time, I will rape her while being a kid. nothing can stop the rape when I begin. I am the rape lord

Attached: 1558770008685.jpg (1682x2048, 328K)

Not OP but you're really talking more about an engineering problem than a physics question.

I believe we have all the necessary tech available already, it's just a matter of economically assembling it.

The perfect impersonation of an absolute retard. Kudos, user.

Attached: 1649968641515049.jpg (357x330, 55K)

I've thought about that as well, but some of the people i've seen become degree holding engineers scare me. I've taught 2nd year college engineering students who literally couldn't do basic algebra. But short of an actual mental problem (not being insulting) I think anyone that really really REALLY wants to do something STEM related can. There's no such thing as being "a math person".

That's... what I said in quoted post?

we need to invent a realistic porn robot that feels both emotionally and physically like fucking a model. but how do we get into making that a reality?

ok, big boy, listen up
>Yea Forums not getting that a light minute (c.f. light year) is a measure of distance so 8 minutes / hour is a perfectly sensible way to define a speed.
false
>Yea Forums not getting that a light minute (c.f. light year) is a measure of distance so 8 light minutes / hour is a perfectly sensible way to define a speed.
FTFY

Not the OP but those are Ghz range RF Waveguides, mainly used on radar systems from just under 1Ghz to 5-6Ghz.

Attached: vlcsnap-2016-12-27-20h40m59s622.png (1280x738, 638K)

I dunno, some of those look like they could easily be KU-K band. iirc 5-6Ghz would be C band which are pretty large. It's hard to judge the image with no scale but they don't seem to have the dimensions to be S band

it's pretty easy. we didn't have little like raspberry pi computers 10 years ago or fast ram, etc for 40 bucks that could make it so realistic it's not even funny. the hardest part would be the dumbest part, which would be the materials so they last and can be heated and the whole thing recharged. 10 years, and it'll cost 30k.

can you draw an experimental pee pee in paint?

I can, but it'll take a team of 10 and a 50k grant

how did avengers manage to provide enough catering for their staff?

Reminds me of the time we lost a quarter billion dollar spacecraft 20 years ago because the US and the UK used different units of measurement.

Label. Units. Correctly. It matters. Only a child would suggest otherwise and only a literal retard would try to argue otherwise.

[checked]
the devil is in the details, some scientists overlook it

Or, y'know, get with the rest of the damn world on using a formalized system of units (SI) and eliminate that idiotic problem.

reported for poaching my DARPA contract

>implying a UK minute is equal to a UK light minute.

rofl this is probably true tbh

There are, absolutely, people who are more naturally fluent with algebra and abstract logic than others that you could call 'math' people, just the same as there are people who have better visual-spacial reasoning, emotional intelligence, and languages which can aid in other fields.
Some of the greatest physicists had mathematicians to help them with the hard stuff, and as an engineer I'll welcome help from both fields. I'll try to keep the physicist grounded and remind them things cost money, and remind the math guy that there's actually a physical world out there period..

I do agree that this affinity isn't a prerequisite for success in academia, in fact it can be a hindrance. People who are used to just whipping together things because they 'get' it can reach a point in their studies where they have under-developed study skills, etc. when they finally hit a brick wall and things no longer 'click'. The ones that don't hit this wall, OTOH are the ones that make ground-breaking contributions and are admittedly a small but influential minority.

>Where I'm from you're not allowed to be called an engineer until you've worked under the supervision of a licensed professional for a number of years in addition to your undergraduate. so it's by no means a guarantee. That second year engineer may be a dipshit trust-fund kid or a foreign student who's getting a free ride because they bring money to the school, or maybe he just needs to be weeded out at the next killer course.Maybe yours.

Finally I'll say that sometimes having core courses taught by other fields is great but it can also cause problems with communication. I took partial differential equations through the math department since it was equivalent and fit my schedule better, but there was a real challenge for me to maintain interest- too much difference in approach for me to absorb it easily. A lot of stuffy formalism and too little practical emphasis.

When the hell did SI become British? System Internationale faggot.

>There's also, y'know, context and charitable interpretation but you're right, we don't have any way of inferring meaning beyond literally exactly what's written down.

I do agree with pretty much everything you said. Clearly there are some differences in ability between each person, but what I was trying to get across is that it isn't just a "can or can't" mentality. I've met way to many people who just say they aren't a math person and give up the second it gets a little more abstract than literal counting. I also agree about the splitting of course education. I took my PDE course in the math department as well, and remember getting literally every problem on my final correct, but only getting a 50 because I always assumed an ansatz and just did separation of variables without proving each case

answer my question, "scientist." if you truly know your experimental sciences you'll provide a clean solution to food delivery problem of such a massive institution as avengers. how do they do it? chinese child slaves? cloning? mutants with food creating powers? if so how much slaves, or clones or how many mutants would it require? just one? if so how much time would it take for that mutant to make the food and deliver it, fresh and to every agent around the world? or is your science too weak to answer this simple question?

If the institution is as massive as you say, and if we assume the distribution of workers is random or quasi-random, we can optimize food delivery via monte-carlo simulation or if we have to restrict catering to individual servers we can simulate it via brownian motion and find the best path that requires the least energy to reach every staff member

>when did si become british?
never once said it did? my example was us/uk.
>y'know
>Y'know
2 y'know's in 1 thread. this kid is going for gold.

but you're right about context, yet seem to be avoiding the clear context given to you, that of which being that units are important. i compared it to an example where it was ignored and caused us to lose a mars orbiter.

then you post an idiotic comment that didn't at all combat my point about units being important. a comment that stemmed from just your general asshurtedness towards the US. you're a mad child trying to change subject to argue about something that isn't being argued. many children do this so i'm not mad at you.

huh, you actually do know your shit, OP. here's another question then.
if we assume that gravity has capability to distort time the more mass is present, why do we make another assumption that time is more relevant than gravity itself? Isn't time just what living beings perceive to be time? time doesn't decay matter but weakened bonds between atoms that decay the less energy is within those atoms. Let's say our solar system is a triple star system like alpha centauri - there's more mass present and more of it acting on perception of time, but does it also act on how fast matter is decaying? Or rather, slow, from someone looking from the outside? But would that be an acceptable observation, if we didn't observe the process from up close? Or are we to compare it from both perspectives? If so, why do we still take time as something that is required for matter to change?

isnt everything just a reaction. if so that would mean nothing is random. dat means that everything is chossen for us alrdy?

We take time as something required because there's never a state that can decay in "no" time. The only things that don't experience time in the normal sense are mass-ess particles (photons for example). You do raise an interesting question about the relativity of half-lives of particles, for example the decay time of a muon from the lab perspective and the muons perspective are drastically different. Things like this can be answered if you dig a bit deeper into both GR and SR.
Reactions can still be random. The universe is by no means deterministic

I can react randomly to your post. I'm going to write FAGGOT on 1 piece of paper and GENIUS on another. I'll put them both in a hat and shake it around, close my eyes, and pick out one piece of paper and call you whatever is on the paper. Ready? Set?

FAGGOT!

But those are only approximations. Its NP-hard to find the optimal solution. Its probably even NP-hard to guarantee that the approximation is within a finite error margin

Fun thread but it's time for me to leave. OP out.

well what is the random part in reactions then
well its not random beacause it depends on how you shake the bag if you shake it so that genius is on top you draw genius its not random its just an unpredictabel reaction

Yeah but they all have mental problems. Sex is mediocre too because of ego. I once spent 4 years convincing one neuro girl she actually loves anal. We broke up after I moved country but she would still fly to mainland europe to get her ass stretched. Good times. Eventually stopped visiting me because she ran out of money. Hasn't spoken to me since because she thinks she's not good enough for me.

Neurogirls are fucking stupid and easy to manipulate because they start from a base assumption that everything is explainable.

i shook the bag randomly though.

hehe

why did you post a pic of RF waveguids?