If a resistor with a value of 8 ohms is reading significantly lower in circuit (like less than 1 or 2 ohms)...

If a resistor with a value of 8 ohms is reading significantly lower in circuit (like less than 1 or 2 ohms), does that mean that something has gone short on the circuit board somewhere?

Also, how do you determine whether or not your issue is a short circuit? Is there a simple way to know for sure that you're dealing with a short circuit?

Attached: 500_F_133335568_60MF99r6J8Ozb2zzyBHxC8nixVDaRz5N[1].jpg (500x334, 89K)

how are you checking? make sure you have your polarities correct or you might be measuring the resistance of the rest of the circuit instead of the resistor. If you are measuring literally on each end of the resistor and it is giving you a lower value then the resistor is faulty. And no, there isnt a simple way to tell if the issue is a short circuit unless there is obvious damage.

This.
If you want to test the resistor, isolate it by disconnecting one end, and you can test it individually.

i checked directly on both sides of the resistor while it was in circuit and it gave me a super low reading. i thought it was faulty but when i took it out of circuit and measured it on its own it gave the correct reading. as far as i know the correct polarity isn't needed for resistors.

Best way is to lick the resistor to check if theres current running through it and jow warm it gets.
Before anybody keks, the electricity is so low its negligible.

Should you ever see a lower resistance while it is in circuit? that doesn't make much sense and suggests that something has gone short elsewhere

Nice thread was curious and felt like I learned somethin

depends if everything downstream from either lead is high impedance or not, if it is the resistor is damaged, if it isn't then everything in parallel with the resistor throws the reading off

When you meassure between 2 ports on a circuit, you’re meassuring the total resistance of the entire circuit from those ports’ point of view.

When you probe the ports of a resistor, or any component inside a circuit, you’re effectively meassuring the whole resistance of that circuit, from those 2 ports.

Yes there must be a short circuit. If the resistor is good and you're still getting lower resistance than it's designed for while it is in the circuit board then it means that extra current is making it to the other side somehow.

This and also, almost every advice here is wrong, except for isolating the element under test.

Resistors don’t have any polarity by the way.

Is it a yellow resistor? If so it is very likely something has gone short on the board.

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

The way you’re doing it, the resistor is in parallel with the rest of the circuit. So if it’s rated X, it won’t read X.

Isolate it.

Resistors fail open circuit. So, you have short somewhere, else, or parallel resistors

>how are you checking? make sure you have your polarities correct or you might be measuring the resistance of the rest of the circuit instead of the resistor.
Are you trolling the troll? OP is posting a mainboard with nm soldering. There is no way to either measure it or fuck it up if you don't have the necessary billion dollar machines

>Also, how do you determine whether or not your issue is a short circuit? Is there a simple way to know for sure that you're dealing with a short circuit?
Louis Rossman way. Apply low voltage (lover than operational. Let's say circuit in this point needs 5V, so you supply 3V) and limit current to 3-5A. Then, start searching for stuff heating. You may use fax paper, alcohol or thermal camera to find a short.

>> nm soldering
>> billion dollar machines

Tip top wew

Resistance is useless!

Attached: HHGG.jpg (1280x720, 143K)

>> limit current to 3-5A

Jesus

This is correct.

Depends on board. In my experience nearly every board can handle 3A on power rails. Even on thinnest traces.
Sometimes, you can inject more current, so broken part self-desolders. This is how I replace blown MOSFETs in LCD monitors. (I push 10A 12-20V (depending on model)) and they heat enough that I can desolder them

/thread

Attached: 1352423189526.gif (229x173, 453K)

Oh, china offers an easier solution, just have to send your pc to their state supported companies. But at least trump banned huawei.
OP is talking about a shitty mb and a replacement costs around 50 dollar.
If you want I can send you the price for nvidia mb problem checks

Wow, that guy was trolling. Almost like b is based on trolling and idiots hop on stupid shit

OP here, thanks for the informative responses.
Again, I did isolate the resistor and it was reading the correct value by itself.

I know the system must have a short somewhere though because I'm getting an overload light and the system shuts itself down as soon as you switch it on.

>Even on thinnest traces.
I have a pc from 2012 and back then it was true. By now your pc uses more electricity than your vacuum. Even as IT spec I have to pay 110$ a month for my fucking pc

You're retarded. If anything PC's use way less power. The only exception is if you're running an enthusiast overclocking rig.

Your problem... It is not the liberal faults to pay your tax

>If anything PC's use way less power.
Truely spoken like a mac user. Chrome, firefox and IDES are RAM monsters. But I like you, Trump said, Indians are fine. And they work for $1.90 an hour, they never have any of those problems.

Idiot, even the average netizen knows that browser at least need 16gb of ram. You are stupid. I don't know if more retarded than your opponent but you deserve bo appraisal

My post was irony... And your post was really bad english

Attached: stupidortrolling.jpg (604x441, 55K)

I am the mac guy, tromp outsourced almost 70% of his govt to india and now going for high edu people is a joke only the life can portret