Anyone here ever done any home brewing? Just started a gallon of mead this morning

Anyone here ever done any home brewing? Just started a gallon of mead this morning.

Attached: mead627384.png (1080x1920, 1.32M)

Home brewing is too scary for me. I like to have the peace of mind that comes with store-bought alcohol. You know beyond a shadow of a doubt ypu arent about to kill yourself

Attached: 1532654805620.jpg (600x552, 196K)

People have been making alcohol for thousands of years
It's not hard faggot

Don't get mad at me because you're technically risking death

That's distilling, not brewing breh. Distilling risks Methanol if you don't know what you're doing. Brewing is litterally water, sugar, yeast, no exposure to o2 in a sanitized container and you're good to go.

Try adding 2-4 black tea bags to the boil for a few minutes in the next batch. Need dat tannin. Also good if you bottle and carb it up.

Distilling is just as easy. Methanol evaporates first, so it's simple to not get any in what you keep.
That guys just a scared bitch

How exactly? Worst case scenario wine/mead becomes vinegar instead of alcohol or beer/cider might get infected if you do a real sloppy job in which case you would see and smell it from a mile off and would know better than to drink it. The only risks are time and some pocket change.

Attached: 1523352612950.png (324x406, 141K)

Do the tea bags affect the flavor that much? The recipe I followed for this batch had me steep and add some chopped raisins for tannins.

There's literally nothing dangerous about homebrewing some Mead as long as you clean everything properly.

I've done a couple batches of Mead over the past year or so. Good fun, hardest part is siphoning into another container without pulling all the lees with it.

Raisins are fine but I prefer the black tea; adds nice extra body of flavor to the mead. Once I did the tea, never went back.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

I hope you like waiting; mead takes at least 2 years. Not to be a dick, but I prefer fermented beverages that I can drink after a year, max

Unless you're doing a shit load - as with a gallon you'll get 4 good bottles, it's not worth waiting 2 years to find out it's shit or really good and to make more/change the recipe

What's even the point of making something like mead? Wh*te boys LARPing as vikings lol

You using the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe?

Although mead certainly gets better with age it definitely doesn't take 2 years for it to be drinkable, especially if you are going to back-sweeten it.

Different user but what i do when i make mead is similar
1.Make a strong batch of tea. Black tea is preferable but I've used mango white ya work success
2. Put together a garni. Basically it's a cheesecloth sack full of spices. I use cloves,star anise,cinnamon, ginger. But your can use w/e you want
3. Put the garni into your primary
4. Age, rack,bottle etc

No. It didn't sound very a peeling.

Ya most people wait a year tops. Anything more than that is just pretention. The meads drinkable right after fermentation stops. Although make sure to add potassium sorbate is you're going to bottle! Even if you've stopped seeing bubbling in your airlock it doesn't mean fermentation has completely ended
If you bottle w/o adding potassium sorbate theirs a chance your bottles could pop from the pressure

brother-in-law made a batch years ago and i'm not gonna lie it was actually really good. it's seems so simple to do but i'm sure a retard like me would fuck it up.

Just bottle a cider yesterday, gonna whip up a whit beer today I think

You should give it a go user, try new things. It's a rewarding experience and the investment is so low it doesn't matter if you mess it up on your first try.

Also keep in mind mead has been made for thousands and thousands of years, if Norse tribes and Medieval peasants could get it right, I'm sure you can figure it out in the modern day.

Attached: 1546528254172.jpg (640x840, 166K)

>homebrewing
>a gallon of mead

Anyone else done any homebrewing? Just made a pot of coffee this morning

Attached: throwpillow,36x36,750x1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1.jpg (750x1000, 209K)

Nah its pretty idiot proof. Sanitations a big thing though. If your equipment is dirty or will sour your brew and your will get sick. You can get mild chlorinated cleaners for pretty cheap though. That and some hot water. I'll usually do 5gal of mead which takes about 15lb of honey. I get it wholesale at sams club for like $40. So it's actually alot cheaper than buying wine/alcohol

You risk death on a daily basis you fucking idiot. Surprisingly enough you're going to die no matter what. Fear doesn't stop dying, only living.

As long as you're not a bragging faggot about it...

Using 300-350g of honey per liter of beverage, I can get something between 15%-20% alcohol. My first batch was 1 year ago, and it took 2 months to produce something worth. 'had to filter it through coffee filter every two weeks to remove algae and other floating thing, until yeast grows enough and starts producing enough alcohol to disinfect the whole thing by itself ^^
Now each time I'm mixing honey, water, and stock from previous batch to have already working yeast :-) And I'm always preserving one part each time to start the next one. I keep this stock in a flip-top closed bottle, and once a week I open it briefly to drop the pressure. The fermenting bottle I'm only putting the top of the bottle on top but without sealing it, so that extra pressure is always out, but the weight of the top prevents air to enter into the bottle. One to two months later I close it for good, and it can already be drank.
All brewing is done inside a mostly dark and constant temperature room: behind my bathroom door, as it doesn't have any window ^^

Middle botte just started brewing, sides are aging.

Attached: 20190606_193914.jpg (3096x4128, 1.85M)

Occasionaly I'm keeping beer bottles with flip-top

The most dangerous thing is about forgetting to let the pressure out, or to not be ready to close the bottle when opening it, since it behave like shaken soda ^^ I already had some mead geyser to clean from my walls twice...

I usually use about 3lbs of honey per gal of water which is similar. I made 5gals of strawberry melomel last year it came pretty good. Used 3lbs of blended strawberry mix. Racking was a bitch because of the sediment

I grow and make my own wine, people love it... mybe becauze im in nyc

Yep. About sediment I noticed that they're only relevants when mixing with something: fruit, bark, peels, … With honey only it's less than 0,5cm at the bottom; and I'm brewing inside a bottle right from the beggining in those cases.

I've done about a dozen beers in kits and all-grain, 4 wines, and 1 cider.

Of it doesn’t smell like ass it’s good. You actually have just about the same chance of store bought killing you

Shit like this is perfectly legal, yet I can't let some plants grow in my yard. Seems rational.

Attached: 1322517706452.jpg (689x505, 194K)

how do you control the amount of methanol being made with the ethanol?

Just bottled my mead a few weeks ago, pics after I leave work

Oh god I want to fuck those flaps