Has anyone here every worked as a security guard? is it alright? im thinking about getting my guard card...

has anyone here every worked as a security guard? is it alright? im thinking about getting my guard card, only takes 8 hours in California. Starting pay is around 13$ an hour, i just dont want to have to deal with thugs or gang bangers, but if im just standing at the gate of a factory making sure everyone who comes inside checks in first, then that wouldnt be so bad.

Attached: security.png (835x765, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/phoenix-police-fight-over-radio-noise-between-arizona-state-hospital-patients-turns-deadly
abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/arizona-doc-data-show-broken-locks-led-to-212-calls-for-backup-over-3-months
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was in charge of security guards in LA County. I do not recommend it at all.

Ive worked security for a long time.

Youll deal with thugs n gangbangers if you ain't hard you wont last.

Then again I did it in ATL and carried doubt you'll be able to out there

why not specifically? i would be more in the south bay area or long beach, i wont be looking for jobs north of el segundo

i mean im not a pussy or anything. im just really not trying to get shot as an unarmed security guard making 13 an hour for some company. i had a friend who was at the front gate at a movie studio and honestly he was not hard by any means.

My company was headquartered in downtown LA, and had contacts with LA city and county, mostly county. At the time, we were one of the largest guard companies in the state, that wasn't Securitas.

1. Company politics is a fucking joke. Every captain/commander at the company thinks they're some kind of ex special forces (most of them are ex cons who only got the job because they speak Spanish). They will pull favorites constantly. You will be written up for absolutely everything if you end up on their shit list. Shirt wrinkled because you've been sitting? Write up.

Your supervisor will likely be assigned to check every site, and sign in upon arrival. They will ask you to sign them in so they can go to a bar. If you do, you're screwed. If you don't, you're screwed.

2. The company that hires you does not give a flying fuck about you, and this will hurt you. Problems on-site? You file a report with your supervisor, it ends up on a desk back at your company's office. It will sit there forever because the office is full of 20 year old girls who bitch at each other all day while the execs go golfing. But god forbid your problem become their client's problem, because your report will fucking disappear and your company will blame everything on you.

I can't tell you how many the guards' checks were delayed for some absolutely bullshit reason. But the supervisors and office staff were always paid on time.

ahh right on, thanks for the info. im not looking it as a full time career or anything, i just need to get a job for now

3. Your other guards will suck. They will be minorities who couldn't give a shit about their job. They might speak English. They might show up to work sober. They will mostly not do their jobs. You will be written up for this.

4. Gang members are not a problem for security. It's alcoholics and blacks. One black will cause a scene because she 'has a right' to do whatever your job says she can't do. She'll start screaming, a dozen blacks with cellphone cameras will come out of the woodwork to yell at you and call you racist. They will fight among each other, weaves will fly. You will be written up for not de-escalating.

Some of the bullshit I had to deal with:

- A captain (female, obese) would try to sleep with all of her guards. If they refused, she would write them up until they were transferred.
- A commander would make his guards sign in for him while he stayed home to sell drugs out of his house.
- A guard called the company's bank, pretended to be one of the execs in crisis, and had a huge sum of money wired to his personal account. He even faked a signature that looked surprisingly accurate. The entire office shut down for the day to resolve this, police were involved. How the bank allowed such a thing, I have no idea.
- I can think of maybe 3 supervisors that weren't under investigation for legitimate sexual harassment (with witnesses).
- The COO was married to the CEO's daughter, and the COO was cheating on her with the company's CPA. Fun shitstorm.
- The Co-CEO (I don't remember his actual title) was cheating on his wife with his personal secretary, while his daughter also worked in the office.

I could go on for hours. That place was the biggest shitshow I've ever seen. But my job involved dealing with many of the other security companies in the area at various points, and it was the same shit everywhere you went.

If you want to do just a year or so, I guess a job's a job. But there is a guard card, a CPR card, a firearm card, and a few others I can't remember that add up. CA is also a real pain in the ass with various things (handgun must be a .38 or 9mm only, if you're required to carry a baton, you cannot make any extra stops besides work and home while the baton is in the vehicle, etc).

oh shit i see you save the worse for last lol...i already had a feeling its going to be dealing with a bunch of black people which sucks.

did you ever actually get assaulted by someone?

wow, that baton law is retarded, i didnt realize that it was such a big deal. such a fucking joke tbh. it a fucking baton not a gun

We had a contract with a mental health facility, and there was another at a rehab place. I've been called to both because assholes wanted to speak to a guard's supervisor. They'll get in your face and scream at you, but I've never been physically assaulted. I think a lot of that is because people don't realize that private security in CA is a sham. Unless your life is in danger, you can't do shit because you are not law enforcement are not immune to being personally sued. Beat someone with the baton? Sued. Shoot someone? Sued. Try to arrest someone? Sued. If anything happens, you are basically a paid witness. You sit there and call the police, and you don't do a damned thing while you wait around for them to handle. If someone shows up with a gun, that's different. But I have never had that happen.

When I was working, the law in LA City was such that walking around with a gun was a misdemeanor, but the baton was a felony.

>im not a pussy
>im not, im not, im not
Yes, you are.

suck my cock fag

I'm a security supervisor, been in the game almost 5 years, ama

I did security for 5 years between two hospitals, both of which had aggressive mental units.

Would highly recommend it if you're not a fucking whimp. I've been in hundreds of fights. I've slammed niggers into seizures, literally. Dude squared up with a doctor, nurse hit the panic alarm, I bolted over to the ER, dude sees us and tries to run, buddy grips his arm and I grab his other arm, jam him into a wall then rip his ass straight to the floor, I widen my legs to put pressure on him, he starts slurring his words within 15 seconds, boom starts seizing up. Fucking hilarious. He freaked out because his girlfriend broke up with him in the ER.

But I've had knives pulled on me, chairs and medical equipment thrown at me, people spitting at me, and worst of all people literally hurling their own shit at me. If you have a couple dudes who have your back and you trust them, it's a hell of a job. Lots of downtime and some really intense bursts of fun. You have to be at least mentally tough though. If you're gonna get flustered when somebody talks shit to you might as well just not even try.

Shit was major fun though. Only reason I left was because my department was going to fuck and I was sick of supervising retards after all my good friends knew it was time to get out. So I got out too. Now I make almost double by installing internet and cable. Boring as fuck and 40x the physical work. I'd rather fight for an hour than work constantly for 8.

right n, some great info. sounds like it wont be to bad for a year or so untill something better comes along and i can go back to school in the fall. but good to know about some of the bullshit to expect.

any tips for a prospective security guard?

Dont be a dumbass.
Security doesn't get a lot of respect, but you're dealing with more bullshit than nearly any other industry other than LEOs and first responders.
Be punctual, professional. Prepared.
Show up to your interview dressed well, with a penalty and paper, take notes, or at least pretend to in your interview.

yea it seems like a lot of down time, i had already thought of that. I would basically make the same amount starting, as if i was doing general labor in a warehouse. im still pretty young so i dont mind physical work either but idk security guard seems a little more exciting for sure like you mentioned.

I was able to find and convert the video of the incident here
It's a bit grainy because I recorded it with my cellphone, which was recording a computer, and then compressed down to a super small version But it's visible. Watch when the doctor buckles, that's from me posturing on the dudes back. I broke her ankle when I kicked my legs out to put pressure on him. I felt bad.

Attached: Snapchat227616471(3).gif (140x280, 1.54M)

Bonus material about what I meant about being mentally tough. The video doesn't do it justice but this is a gatorade bottle flying at Mach 2 speed right at my done piece. Just casually scrolling through Yea Forums when wham I get slammed in the face with a Gatorade. Fuck that guy. Just kidding, where good friends. But shit like this will easily identify whether you're cut out for it or not. If you can't handle a friend doing stupid shit to create tension then you probably can't handle real tension.

Attached: Snapchat467645464(2).gif (160x300, 1.78M)

wear a vest

My brother and I both worked security. If it's a decent company you'll do fine as long as you aren't working some shitty pub. Just don't expect people to go out of their way to hire you. They'll have more than enough security guys unless it's Christmas or the local college finished exams.

Lied on my resume significantly (never worked a real job for more than 4 months so my shit was shit) and ended up getting a job with Securitas and I literally just wand people like a TSA bitch at a municipal building. No one ever has anything and if they do, cops are right behind me. Been working there about a year to get my resume more like that of an adult.
As others have stated, you will be cussed at daily, don't let it ruin you. Generally 7 hours of downtime/3 hours of actual work. If you work with decent people it can be fun. Generally companies like Securitas will hire bottom of the barrel dregs of society so always watch your back, because guaranteed there is some shady people out there working security. And If something ever goes missing, security are second to be accused, right after janitors.

>weaves will fly

Attached: kek.jpg (209x200, 8K)

I did armed security patrol a few years ago and also have done unarmed security for half a decade.

If you are unarmed, you will most likely be at the property for insurance reasons and nobody will respect you. You'll be miserable if you are required to stand at a single position for 8hrs. If they allow foot patrols, you'll feel like shit but at least you can walk.

If you go the armed security route, get with a company that does community patrols like the police. It's better than being a bank guard or standing. I had a good time patrolling apartments in my vehicle and we also were called to service for any disputes that happened on property.

This lasted for 1-2 years before I realized we did pretty much everything our local law enforcement was doing but at half the pay wage and none of the backup. I left.

A lot of the places we patrolled were the ghettoest fucking nasty rat infested holes with government housing and gang members everywhere.

These type of places were the holes that local cops didn't even want to go through...or not without at least a few backup. But we were required to be there for a good amount of time before leaving to our next property. The only thing that balanced out this job was we also had expensive upscale apartments that we also patrolled. Those were nice to go through.

Attached: TBL.jpg (792x522, 91K)

I guess I have done security?
A trailer park opened across the street from a hotel where I was night auditor and since I was the only staff on at my shift I was the only person around to stop the deluge of townie junkies trying to prey on the tourists at the hotel.
We contracted a security company but they literally only did one drive through a night for free coffee and it was useless to try calling them, they usually wouldn't even answer.
So I had to do battle with the junkies.
My boss didn't know, but I had just got out of prison after doing a few years, and while in prison I got into a fight with a guard and won so they sent me up north so I could be the only white guy in a jail full of stabby natives with FAS.
So I wasn't actually afraid of the junkies at all, but holy shit, it was so unreasonable, if I had just been a random 22 year old kid from a normal background, I would have been fucked, and probably fallen for many tricks and traps.
I absolutely should not have been dealing with that shit, some of it was crazy.
Like one time I came around the corner to where the pop machines were, and people constantly tried to break into them.
I walked right into a guy who was trying to break into the machine and he tried to stab me with a screwdriver so I fucked him up with two steel drawer handles I had duct taped together, but not enough that he couldn't run away.
I was careful about that shit, no big pools of blood, nothing where the cops come, and that probably made it even MORE dangerous because I tended to hit people below the neckline when it would have been way safer to just go for the face.
I had no concept of being exploited by an employer so i didn't realize it at the time but doing security when you're supposed to be doing accounting is really fucking stupid.
I hope they descended upon my old boss once I left, if they caused him even a fraction the trouble they caused me he probably shat himself.

does security have the right to shoot first in the same scenarios police do? or do you have even less right to defend yourself?

>That place was the biggest shitshow I've ever seen
Major company thats not securitas? Universal?

If you're not a complete retard and are somewhat presentable and reliable you can be an ops manager in no time and get in on that fun shit too.

Theres no future in it if you just want to be a gate goon, but again if youre not a complete retard, management is quite manageable and that pay isnt too bad

unless you're in the ghetto or jail, or working a disaster zone or something high profile, no. Shit is hot and uncomfortable. I've worn a vest for about 10 days total in about 10 years. it lives in my trunk. if you need it its awesome to have. most likely you'll never need it though

Law Enforcement & Armed Security follow the same use of force continuum - we are only supposed to use our firearm if shit hits the fan.

Cops have an obligation to protect innocent life & their own, so they can shoot within discretion...and can usually be justified if their department backs them up.

Armed security has no obligation and can really only use their gun if they are 110% sure that it was the only viable decision to prevent anything else bad from occurring such as being killed.

The security company you work for will however throw you under the bus if a lawsuit happens and you'll go straight to prison if it wasn't a justified shooting.

Attached: Force.jpg (300x276, 14K)

Security at a mental hospital. Ask me anything.

Attached: 14745496805_55041c0120_b.jpg (632x686, 157K)

where do you live?

Arizona.

Are you guards unarmed because it's a hospital? I heard stories that you mostly deal with crazy patients.

What is the worst thing to ever happen on shift?

We are unarmed because it's a bad idea to put weapons near mental patients who are actively dangerous-to-self or danger-to-others. We don't even let police on the units with their guns. We're trained in non-violent crisis intervention techniques to physically deescalate crises.

Worst incident was when the guy at our sexually violent predator unit beat another resident to death.

fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/phoenix-police-fight-over-radio-noise-between-arizona-state-hospital-patients-turns-deadly

Nate?

>"The center provides treatment and housing for individuals who have committed sexually violent offenses, completed their prison sentences and are deemed unsafe to be released to the community because they are deemed to be sexually violent and highly likely to re-offend."

Wait...so you guys have to deal with ex-cons and shit? Pretty much like a correctional facility.

I always thought it was just dealing with mentally insane people. Are the pay wages any good? And have you ever had to knock a patient down?

>i just dont want to have to deal with thugs or gang bangers
>In California

Attached: 52239A66-2FED-4AB0-946A-42CB8F134F5B.png (644x644, 936K)

We have three units, a civil unit where we take court-ordered mental treatment, a forensic unit where we take all Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity/Guilty Except Insane cases as well as restoration to competency pre-trial, and we have the ACPTC unit which deals with SVP's that have been through DOC and are too dangerous to release to the general public.

I'd say 85% of our patients and residents have prior DOC or county jail stays in excess of 6 months. Most are multiple-felons, some copkillers, some mass murderers, baby killers, spree killers, etc.

The truly "insane" people we deal with are at civil.

We don't "knock patients down" due to the stringent rules and regulations surrounding civil commitment. When we go hands-on, we keep them upright and move them to seclusion rooms where we can administer meds or use mechanical restraints, or even just let them cool down away from stimuli. That said, I've been involved in a few hands-on incidents that have ended up on the ground because staff weren't really holding up their end of the physical intervention. It's always ugly when it goes to the ground and there's not much we can do from there, we have to hold in place and wait for them to calm down and get up on their own or get them on to a rolling bed and 4-point restraint them.

It’s a joke. If you want an unchallenging, unfulfilling job with with terrible pay this is the job for you. You sit there for hours on end thinking about better days or if you’re lucky you get to play on the computer. Once in a blue moon you get to ask a homeless person to leave.

In the good-old days we used to mob five or six officers deep into the Wick and Juniper units and cuff motherfuckers up or dogpile their asses to the ground, but administration got soft on security in recent years, even disbanding security all together until the feds stepped in and said they'd pull the federal funding unless they got some sort of security force on campus. We don't even carry cuffs anymore.

I'm glad I never went to the job interview for the mental hospital position in my area. That job description sounds ridiculous and I'm sure you aren't getting paid enough to deal with all that bullshit.

I hope you guys at least have a few guards on shift to handle the patients when things get out of hand. You may as well throw an application for corrections because those officers are making tons of money doing the same thing.

Although... correctional officers live in fear of being shanked by gang inmates and I'm not sure how likely that is to happen for a guard working at a mental hospital.

It's not like this everywhere. Places like Utah, California, Mississippi, and other states have actual police in their mental hospitals because they are aware of the dangers that group of patients presents and are proactive about defending their staff and the general public.

We really don't get paid a lot, starting is $13.01 an hour with 5% differential for 2nd shift and 10% differential for 3rd shift, but the state budget was just signed by the governor and authorized a 24% increase in pay, which puts our officers at around $17-20 an hour, much more in line with corrections and related state grades.

DOC isn't a good place to work right now. Our Lewis prison was in the news for some fucked up shit. abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/arizona-doc-data-show-broken-locks-led-to-212-calls-for-backup-over-3-months

DOC guys don't get paid much more than we do. And we have three DOC prisons on our campus as it is, trust me, I know what they make. I'd rather be working in mental health than in straight up corrections right now.

Fuck that.

Consider moving to CA. The DOC over here isn't that bad. A lot of my friends are making bank and they tell me it's pretty good.

I didn't realize how bad AZ had it with DOC. Yep...that's pretty shitty.

I worked for Allieduniversal in hospital Security. It was chill the pay was alright. But damn they did hire lazy ass MF. The worst are the blacks always complaining and when they get terminated they chimp out.

Hospital Security is alright but there are dangers when dealing with patients and bums. As long as you have a good crew, everything will be okay. Also, always check that you get paid correctly.

BAHAHAHAHAHA I'd rather pound my balls flat with a wooden mallet than move to Commiefornia.

The only good thing that comes from this type of mismanagement is reform, and DOC and DHS are on the precipice of major reform. The governor and legislature wouldn't have approved across the board raises without the intention of improving performance and improving quality of care and custody.

CDCR is pretty based, but it's not worth the crazy taxes and overpopulation and libtards everywhere.

Attached: rearizona.png (700x490, 13K)

That's why I always have my .38

I sit here working security in my little shack watching these coal mining machines so they don’t disappear at night getting 7.25$ thinking on what happened with my life.

> Be me young 25 yr old guy, At my office job working out cause it has a gym at 5 am.

Some security guy rolls down his window as i get in my car.
>Do you work here?

> Fuck yea i do, but im actually a hobo as you can see by me getting into this car.

>oh.... can i see your badge.?

>Naw man i just broke in and out of that building right there, gotta go now.

And drive off.

LMAO!

I worked Security in Australia.
Unarmed, Guarding a bunch of warehouses and a few gyms in an industrial area far away from pretty much anything.
6pm to 6am shift on a 5 days on 5 days off roster.
it wasn't that bad a job,
boring as fuck. in the 6 months i did it, only had 1 altercation with a drunk dude, and probably once a week the local hoons would meet up to do burnouts up and down the street. Second night they were around i went up to them when they were parked, and we came to a "You dont fuck with my job, i dont fuck with your fun" agreement and i let em know the 5 days on/off thing. Other guy who worked the other shift had a stick up his ass and called the cops on em heaps.

I caught the owner of one of the gyms one night as he was closing up and we chatted a bit and he left me an old benchpress and some dumbbells out in the yard so i could work out during my shift.
I also taught one of the stray cats to play fetch, the owners of the places kept them around to keep rats and shit away.

Gave it up because it completely fucked with my social life and sleeping patterns.

Eurofag here, i have been guarding companies for years now, you basically dont have to do anything besides giving directions to people, and for the night you can sleep or play vidya games or watch a movie, its basically free money. I would do the same things home all day.

>Gave it up because it completely fucked with my social life and sleeping patterns.
I do same kind of security work and
its the same for me. Although I do 24 hour shifts, so you can imagine how much worse it is.The first 2 week it was just me and some other guy, pulling 24 hour shift. I thought about leaving but another dude showed up, so now we are 3 people doing 24's with 2 days off in between. I had to start smoking weed again just so I can sleep semi-properly.I'd quit if I find a better job, but I live in shitpoor european country so I have to keep working for now. Never had problems with other people, but I hear colleagues at other sites where there are gypsies are having a rough time. Thefts are common and they have illegal guns too. But for us it's pretty hard to get a gun legally here, much less to use it legally. That's why I'm building my own gun and hope I never have to use it. Still tho, better serve some time than being dead.

Attached: 1539680653501.gif (430x438, 935K)