How would you improve the combat or movement in BOTW?

How would you improve the combat or movement in BOTW?
I'm building a game with a similar setup but need to separate my system from Nintendo's.
>Open world, small but hopefully rich island with a village or two.
>Main character is a goblin cutie.
>I'm thinking of using that for cool hit-and-run tactics and out-maneuvering strong opponents.
>Maybe physics involved for fun (e.g. a Minotaur kick against a 45kg goblin is both deadly but sends you literally flying).

Right now I'm working on the general movement player controller. It's got the basic shit, but I need ideas of what to add beyond the typical BOTW climbing system. Hell, suggest me anything you think is decent and relevant. I'm open to ideas. Currently can move about, rotate and zoom the camera freely. Next update I'm gonna redo all the IK so the feet are a lot better and so that the character looks at npcs, the direction running and key objects. Then the mobility stuff like climbing, jumping, etc. Before moving onto the combat controller with lock-on for enemies.

Basically, I need ideas so that I can implement them sooner rather than later.
> pic related, gonna make player look similar as custom characters are waay too complicated.

Attached: 0589e5bd91561f9f28044358e2636482.png (1425x2195, 1.84M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Y82NUDuJG6I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gameplay footage of basic controller rn.
>youtu.be/Y82NUDuJG6I

Attached: goblin_girl___swing_by_ronindude_dc887y8-pre.jpg (676x884, 127K)

I want to make that goblin my wife.

Also, because that lazy cropping annoys me to no end.

Attached: 1461735923067.jpg (1920x2716, 458K)

Funny you post that now, I started playing BotW a few months ago, and the intro felt so slow it made me put down the game to play something more gameplay-centric (namely SSBU and warframe, to name a few)

replaying BotW now, and I'm totally hooked

BUT

I do have a problem with the fighting system
Gonna explain myself in details in another message (just to be sure the thread doesn't get pruned)

Attached: tumblr_o14tnlTvyq1rd8llro4_r1_1280.jpg (1280x1280, 302K)

bump

Attached: 1502586753738.jpg (1280x623, 283K)

Are you gonna have something like the glider? That was great for getting around but it shrunk the map and made some areas irrelevant since you would glide over. It might be worth it to figure out something that makes traversal fun without shrinking the map.

I'd suggest maybe TNT launch. It plays into the size of the goblina and could be turned into it's own minigame

Attached: sample-d2a1f919cfee24ed6522011159fa155f.jpg (1235x1000, 207K)

fuck that's hot.

Jiggle physics for sexy goblina. And make it so that if she's doing something taxing like running or fighting for a while, there's sweat

I'm just one guy, so to start off the map will be just an island likely a smaller than the Great Plateau as I want more detailed areas than open space. But I might expand the map size to fit more dungeons or something. If I do I can see TNT launching as an excellent minigame/transport method. Hell, might have a Gnome gal pal who'll help you fix/build the cannons. Could also be a quest to get explosive-resistant gear.

Regardless, this seems fun so I'll make sure I screencap your idea.

So, regarding the combat system, I find it quite disappointing :
(everything I'm going to say it's from my point of view only. I know how much the game was acclaimed)
so the thing is, I feel like Link got a real lack of fighting moves. I played OoT, TP, SS and WW (in that order) and in all of them, you could do AT LEAST lateral strike, vertical and thrust.

With BotW, I was very frustated that every weapon got his basic combo with one kind of repeating movement. It makes me feel my character isn't using the full range of his weapon, and some fight that seems doable are actually way harder that if they were on other games.
So we go back to the good ol' OoT strategy : wait, wait, wait, get hit > block/dodge > hit.
It's pretty bland, and feels even more so especially in a game so rich.

I understand that the point of limiting the character combat abilities was for the player to uses his wits to overpower the enemy by using the terrain and tactics (like hit and run). And I think that's one of the reason the game was so popular, and I know I'm going to sound like a meathead, but sometimes, I want to feel like I'm the "Champion" they tell me I am every 20 minutes of the game

Jiggle physics are pretty easy, I can just pay for a package that handles that and ass physics. So it's more of a necessity at this point. As for sweat, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll even make it so that the character can get dirty as she fights and explores. It's not that difficult (I hope), so I'll take this idea to heart. Thanks for the idea.

Yay I helped

Attached: 1557585672996.jpg (750x406, 179K)

(cont)

It's even more frustating when other Zelda (namely Twilight Princess) were so focused on combat. The fact that you learn new moves is actually an "avatar empowerment" trick, but it does have a different effect than boosting the stats/hearts/gear of the avatar : it's not a passive boost, it's an active one.

It makes the player more in control of the action, and gives a better feel of being the "foretold hero".

The trick here is to not fall in the trap of the "god avatar" (if you don't see what I mean, just look at Sora in Kingdom Hearts 2 doing all sorts of crazy shits and annihilating the whole map while you just do X X X X X) which actually makes the gameplay even more bland .

Being launched could be cool even if it's just a way to attack enemies.

Maybe giving goblin girl some bounce when she hits the ground? It could help keep up momentum.

>Jiggle physics
Have to be careful with that stuff though. You need LPers to play it so kids will see and start meming. Oversexualization could slow growth. Do it like Overwatch or Shantae and make an attractive character with R34 potential.

Attached: sample-cf8c241119badfbfd58daec7b9340e5f.jpg (1122x1000, 208K)

Yeah, jiggle's suppose to be a very minimal just so that the player isn't completely static. I'll take your advice though and test different amounts, not like it'll matter too much with a flat chested goblin lol.

Solid points, I'll have to see about having a few different combos. Maybe have unlockable powers you can mix into the combo.

happy to help

Look at Yakuza games compared to say red dead or grand theft auto. Yakuza flows the mc in a few city blocks of a city called Kamurocho. The city is jam packed with side quests, people walking and chattering, homeless in the slums, restaurants and stores, businesses with minigames and makes you feel like its a real city with life. Grand theft auto tries to do this too but falls flat into a murder sim. Red dead offers beautiful landscapes and environments but little to do that isn't a repeated roadside event or in a town doing a quest. Bit like botw. Do you see my point?

Maybe a way to ascend or descend at fast and slow speeds? I imagine the climbing will be plain, so unless she scurries up quick players will want to skip it.

Attached: sample-7a32bd19d88bea1d7e30663e0b1a0ff8.jpg (1347x1000, 245K)

Yeah I think I get what you're talking about. I basically can either focus on scale or quality. Especially considering I'm just one dude. I might have to try strike some balance I think because dungeoneering and town building will require some emptiness. But I really like the idea of having smaller settlements where most characters have a series of quests, secrets and can send you to cool places. Will have to keep the game's scale in mind though.

IS this what you were getting at or have I gone a completely different tangent?

Maybe smaller terrain, higher base stamina and faster climbing where you can spam jump to climb very quickly. Hell, maybe there could be a mount that can climb very quickly and even go upside down that the player unlocks. Just some food for thought I guess.

Most of this stuff is far in the future. I think what you need is to come up with a hook to get people's attention. Put together some decent alpha stuff and maybe you could get others working on the project. A unique selling point could bring money and help your way.

Attached: 00ed3b4587fd641263c57c6e205f509c.jpg (1197x1977, 169K)

Solid advice. You should prioritize this OP.

Yeah, tbh that's what I was hoping to get out of this thread and the one I have running on another (more dead) chan. I've gotten a lot of good ideas for RPG-like elements, but it's as you say. For now I know I need to add a little more depth to the combat, but I'll need to figure out something that makes my little goblin stand out. For now I'll just get the core movement and combat straightened out, then maybe implement a stat system, D&D-style damage, armor and weapons system.

Then again, the hook should probably come first.

Attached: kora_o3o_crop.png (869x869, 321K)

No it is. You mustnt let it feel completely empty unless the world is empty.

It's gotta be flashier than RPG bits. Every game has some so advertising your game with them is like saying there's a jump button. Your hook could just be something extra you pop on top of other things, like adding lots of stealth actions or movement. Unfortunately that leaves you deeper in development without having any ringer concepts.

The best I can say is to think of how you would show off your game in a 2-3 minute trailer and what you'd say on a Patreon or Kickstarter page.

Attached: sample-3927d1edd92fa96feea755d5d81f2093.jpg (915x1000, 161K)

OP, when your game is done, don't forget to credit Yea Forums with screencaps of this thread (in the endgame credits)

Attached: aid823570-v4-728px-Be-Cocky-Step-15.jpg (728x546, 36K)

Will do. Look forward to it in like half a decade (lol), maybe less if I can somehow get some other developers to help out after I've an alpha version finished.