What do you think of the Amish, Mennonites, and other related people? Have you ever met one, or more of these people?

What do you think of the Amish, Mennonites, and other related people? Have you ever met one, or more of these people?

Attached: 534590e040601.image.jpg (600x398, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n_Uvh_Ts62U
ohiosamishcountry.com/article/amish-education-holmes-county-ohio-culture-about-life.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's breddy great that they stick together and the community is so strong. But when I looked into this a little further, the society is very strict, religious, and repressive.

So, not sure if I'd join up if it's like that.

The children are given a choice during a point of their teenaged years. It is called Rumspringa, and basically, they are given the choice to live in decadent modernism, or return to their families, during a year of living in a city or regular style American town.

I read a book about it. Apparently there's a lot of sexual abuse and they just let it happen as long as the guy repents. Yinz would love it.

i used to work for a wholesale store years back and the amish/quakers would come in pretty often. Very friendly and accepting people considering theyre so separated from the modern world. Also one time remember seeing and absolutely beautiful young 17/18 year old amish girl. I was so taken off guard i prob just stood there staring at her dumbfounded tbh

This singer was a Hutterite as a kid.
youtube.com/watch?v=n_Uvh_Ts62U

Upstate NY here
Giant local community of them around the town i live in.
They're generally pleasant, they don't like attention.
The men will always sneak candy/soda/etc while running errands so their wives don't know.
Only thing I hate is they leave their horse shit everywhere.

To bad she was getting fucked by her cousin when she was 11. The old joke is " its harder to find then a 12 year old amish virgin"

Except they only have a fifth grade education, and can't survive in the modern world.

And stink like shit and will not talk to women in power its always fun to be part of

That's just how shit used to be. They simply haven't changed.

Only know a Mennonite. Hardest fucking worker I've ever met. Weird, yeah. Spray painted his rims and all the chrome on his fucking Denali pickup because it was too flashy.

Oh yeah, the Mennonites are the ones that basically look kind of Amish, but do technology, yes?

Thats the most true statement I've seen ever.

>amish
pretty cool experience. got to sleep in a cabin. no electricity. nothing modern at all. really felt like i was back in time. after about three days i was ready to go back into civilization.

probably the most facsinating thing was seeing literally galaxies and color in the night sky. every star was perfectly visible.

people were okay. weren't pushy. but they did not tolerate any electronics in their home. if you brought a phone or something they would ask you to leave. also modern clothing was frowned upon so i got to wear what they had

More or less. Dude was a beast would work 12 hrs under a welding hood and only take a lunch because he had to. Even on breaks he'd be sweeping and shit. Loved him as a contractor.

More or less yes. Im from a Mennonite family

Don't the Amish believe that cameras steal their souls or some thing?

The groups in Ontario range from very strict religious no hydro horse and buggy to a more modern version. Lots of them live in small villages and communities and are much more modern. I do agree that they have very strong family values and very tightknit community’s..

no this is horseshit. they aren't as superstitious as people say they are. they know what everything is and what it does. they have a modern education and everything as mandated through federal law.

How progressively minded you are. They’re probably smarter than most modern people. Being aware of technology and pop culture doesn’t equate to intelligence. You just want to feel better about being a degenerate

What are Amish kitchens and bathrooms like? Do they have running water? Could toilets flush, or are they just outhouses? What about showers or bathtubs?

>Do they have running water?
some communities do, most do not. they use wells or ponds/lakes

I've heard of toilets in some communities just for the sake of hygiene and avoiding spreading disease. although this is a new phenomenon.
place i went to were outhouses. when one hole would fill up, they just build a new outhouse. though they takes decades

Do they have toilet paper, or do they use corn husks, or what?

kitchens are very open and very basic. there's no counters or anything like that. usually a few cupboards, giant black oven and a few tables.

also from upstate ny. you should see the woodwork and cabins these fuckers can do 11/10 hard workers

each person has their own cloth. you never want to lose this cloth because you're fucked. some use toilet paper, some use a jug with water in it, and others use water and cloth/rag.

ohiosamishcountry.com/article/amish-education-holmes-county-ohio-culture-about-life.html

>The Amish believe strongly in education, but only provide formal education through the eighth grade. They are exempt from state compulsory attendance beyond the eighth grade based on religious principles. Schooling concentrates on the basic reading, writing and math skills, along with vocational training and socialization in Amish history and values.

female hygiene is like a reusable tampon. piece of twisted cloth. I saw one on accident. girls and women are expected to keep this hidden and as clean as possible.

I directly work with them on a daily basis. I run a transportation service for them for hauling people and produce. Been doing it for almost a decade now.
It is repressive, but women handle finances just as much as the men. They do get stuck popping out babies though. Religion is key to them.
Not all amish groups practice this. The ones that do are usually progressive. However, in the highly populated areas, many youngins are moving away from farming and taking up trades such as welding or construction.
The ones that commit sexual abuse are "part" of the community but only so far as business goes. Men will likely never be allowed a wife after that.
There are just as many hot amish girls as ugly ones, just like normal people.
In our communities, the whole sweets things are kinda ignored.
Many run their own businesses and are fairly successful. They generally get up to eighth grade education by federal mandate
No, they are against having pictures because of the whole idolatry from the bible, not because it steals their souls.
They usually have running water to a degree (gas operated pumps), but not for bathing. They usually only properly bathe on saturdays the day before church but otherwise they just rinse off.

Rumspringa sounds like Rumspringen which is german for Jump Around. I find this very amusing.

cont
Toilets are becoming more and more common especially in populated areas
They use fucking toilet paper for wiping their asses just like normal people
This is strongly dependent on the family/community. Some have several ovens or even propane ranges now.
This is dying out over time.
All amish are also multilingual, in pennsylvania dutch, high german and english.
again, dying out over time.

Amish are somewhat racist, though there are black amishmen that are fully part of the church, though this is very rare. They are generally respectful to your face, but will inevitably talk shit behind your back. They are usually hard workers. There is growing rates of excommunication from their churches due to the prevalence of technology.

Thats exactly what it is. a bastardization of the word. Pennsylvania dutch (their general tongue) is bastardized german, dutch and sweedish.