How the fuck do I cut down on my drinking and stop letting it dominate my fucking life...

How the fuck do I cut down on my drinking and stop letting it dominate my fucking life? Three years ago I spent almost an entire year of my life drinking nightly. While I've been able to cut it down to 2-4 nights per week I'm still drinking WAY too much. And when I drink I get insanely drunk. Luckily I don't do really dumb shit anymore besides overeat, but the gist is that it's making me miserable both physically and mentally. I don't even know why I do it anymore.

Am I hopeless? I was thinking of going 30 days and then ONLY drinking when I have zero school shit to do or errands, but I'm worried I'm gonna fall into old habits again. Any advice?

Attached: 1556560828861.jpg (594x1180, 98K)

go AA

Forgot to mention, I'd REALLY rather not do AA. I'm not planning to quit forever and I'm not into all that god shit.

Just stop drinking, retard

That's the plan, retard. This thread isn't for kiddies.

Fill your schedule with productive endeavors so you don't have sitting around time (like regular exercise); get 8 hours of sleep a night. If you are sitting around doing nothing, staying up late, you're going to fill that time with something, probably drinking.

First put some fucking clothes on user

Cold turkey 30 days won't work. Alcohol withdrawal is one if the worst withdrawls.

That's the thing though, I already have stuff to do. But I always end up drinking anyway "just because", it's like an urge I can't shake. This past weekend I got fucked up 4 nights in a row by myself for basically no reason, even though I could've been doing actual productive shit. I'm hoping if I can at least STOP for a month maybe shit will change but I'm not confident I can resist the temptation to drink.

I'm not that far off the deep end that I can't stop drinking without withdrawals, though I can tell I'm getting close to that point again. I'm just sick of constantly feeling bad about my drinking, and having stomach issues or feeling too tired to do anything else.

Maybe you need some sort of rehab then, for the structured environment it provides. If you can't stop yourself.

Maybe, but I feel like that's overkill and I'd be surrounded by people who are WAY more fucked up than I am. I'm also finally doing okay in college and passing the courses, and I don't want to stop going. Not that I'm using that as an excuse not to get help, I just don't think it's to that point.

bump

Your drinking problems come from unconcious homosexual thoughts , which didnt get from the recent years instead from the early ones as you were drinking momma tits (Freud-Edipo syndrome) later in chewable form from plastic bottles. As times pass and puberty hits i would say your uncle Joey from dad's side plays a key factor in my diagnosis , i advice you and encorage to let it all out and stop pushing back your unstopable desires of become a yaoi model for japanese opium smokers (again Freud (black balls- mouth - large stick) entrepreneurs

Attached: 153665813166.jpg (1086x1285, 200K)

>everyone with a drinking problem is gay
yeah, i don't think so son

You go on naltrexone.

Good luck finding a medfag to prescribe it for you though.

Seems everyone in the US is sucking AA cock too hard to do shit that actually works.

OP here, I have my own reasons for not wanting to do AA, but not working isn't one of them

It depends on how addicted you are and what kind of outcome you're looking for.

For example, I was in a situation where I was also drinking too much. Usually 4-5 nights a week, usually a at least a mickey and sometimes some beers after. Rarely got blackout but I was get nice and drunk. Did this for a couple years, at least. I decided to make a change because I got concerned about my health.

I went one month cold turkey. It was a little rough the first few nights cause it just felt so boring. Kept thinking man I could be drunk right now this blows. But I stuck to it and went a good month and some change.

Now, I still drink occasionally, but not nearly as much. I think all I needed was to get out of the cycle. Once I broke the habit, I don't feel the urge nearly as bad. I'll drink a night a week, 2 at max. Sometimes I'll go a week or two and not drink at all.

If you're the kind of person that can't drink in moderation, I would suggest that. If you find yourself struggling, it might be best to try to avoid it entirely. Either way, I would suggest trying to give it up for a month and go from there. If you find you can't, there might be a bigger problem. There's no shame in getting help for an addiction if it comes to it.

Cut one drink a week until you're completely clean. It's slow enough you won't notice. Cut half a drink a week to take it even more gradually.

Thanks for the insight this is what I was hoping for. I can go through the week without drinking or needing too, but once thursday or friday night rolls along it's like fuck this I'm drinking. I wanted to go the 30 days last week but gave into my urge. So I dunno how badly addicted I am given how bad I was before. I just don't get why I bother drinking it's not fun at all anymore. And I ran into an old friend the other week, witnessed him get fucked up really bad and thought to myself damn, that must be what I'm like when I do it. Shit sucks.
I'm not addicted to the point I need to tamper off. The issue I have is that mentally, for whatever reason, I tell myself I need to drink when I don't.

For some people, 12-step programs like AA work, but for others, sometimes they don't. If you aren't an AA sort of guy, check out the harm reduction site (hams.cc). It's got some good info info, ideas, and viewpoints that might be a useful avenue to consider.

Different user here, but I think tapering off might be worth considering even if you don't physically need it. Then again, you do you.

If you're afraid you will relapse, it's probably because you will. I'd say stop permanently, if you can.
Is that a kid..?

I just relapsed after 2 months of being sober. Feels like shit. I had to hit rock bottom to quit. Sometimes you just have to drink yourself into a depressed state before you finally have had enough.

AA works, just roll with the God part. Some people need that and are OK with it but not a must. Group itself and your participation is the higher power.

Sorry, dude. When you're done, you're done. Until then, will get worse. Been there, done that.

Thanks for the link. I tried finding the website that lays out how to cut down your drinking, I think this one may be it for I'm not sure. I don't want to go to AA because I'd feel like a hypocrite, as I have zero plans or desire to abstain 100% from drinking. I'm not really the friendiest guy around either and I generally don't like being around other people, especially in sad and depressing environments like AA. But who knows, maybe I'll change my mind.
>Is that a kid..?
I didn't even notice that, I just reported it now
I've already gone through that though. Had been drinking every night, got into a crash and did other really stupid shit. I don't want to do the whole "drink until you don't want too anymore", because I'm already there. Like I said this isn't even fun anymore.
I dunno, I guess I'll think about it. The idea makes me uncomfortable though.

To be honest this is kinda what I figured. It makes me feel like shit. I almost failed a class last semester because I couldn't stop drinking on the weekends to study. I'm just sick of being such a depressed piece of shit. I have no real reason to be like this, my life hasn't been that hard.

Dunno, boss. 30 years sober here & quit via AA. Seems to have a decent track record.

Just don't try to beat yourself into swallowing more of the theology than you're ok with. Maybe there's a Rational Recovery group around. But bottom line, you get new things to do and different crowd all trying to stay sober and live a different way, which is the break you need from the way you're doing things now.

Find a reason to live for, get a nice wife or some hobby that really matters to you. I stopped smoking cigarettes and pot because I found myself a girl worth doing it for.

It's alcoholism, man. Just is what it is. You can stop, as they say, a day at a time, and next thing you know, you've strung a chunk of days together, and thinking, man I'm glad that's gone.

Fuck you user

I don't think I've had a night without drinking in three years, and then it was just one night.

dont understand getting drunk every night though. that's not fun.

Dont drink nigga wtf

Attached: 1557060840416.jpg (500x597, 43K)

Only gays say shit lik dis

>I am really desperate but not ready to try things that aren't fun for me

lmao

When you can barely fight the feeling for a drink, that's an addiction you need outside help with. There isn't any shame in saying that.
Overkill is when a pot smoker goes to rehab.

>can I have suggestions I already have prepared reasons not to take?

/OP

yeah you had better kill a family first we understand

OP needs magic advice that takes no effort. This advice isn't complicated and cool enough

>yeah I kind of already know everything

you're gonna die yellow, see ya

>samefag

I get that your mom didn't pay enough attention to you growing up, but that's not my problem. It's past your bedtime little boy, off you go now.

the hell it isn't you're one of those whiny pseudosmart cockheads wants advice he already knows so they can repeat all their excuses

Anyway, OP here. Thanks to the anons that offered good advice and a kind word. I'll try to hang in there, hope you guys do too. I'm gonna fuck off now.

Stop buying alcohol, that should be your first step. If you don't buy it, you can't drink it.

>I need to stop drinking so bad that calling out samefags incorrectly is important to me

>okay I have been called out as retarded and my ego can't take it bye safespace!

jej

There is no one way to quit drinking that works for everyone. Some people swear by AA, but they're fucking freaks. Some people can taper off on their own. Some people can even go cold turkey. The best way is to seek medical assistance. It's hypocritical of me to tell you this since I refuse to see a doctor, but it's the safest way to do it.

Withdrawals suck ass. Most people don't get DTs, but the dreams, sweating, itching, insomnia and random electric pains fuck you up a lot. Also the anxiety. If you're anything like me, you won't realize the cravings are actually cravings, until you realize that something you're doing doesn't feel natural at all unless you're drinking. Be very fucking careful. Unlike cigarettes and most drugs, quitting alcohol can literally kill you. See a doctor if you can.

Find a healthier addiction

>healthier addiction
that's an oxymoron

Ikr lmao

Stop making excuses, AA is a jillion times better place to get help with alcohol addiction than Yea Forums.
>”I’m not that bad”
Yes you are, this is one of your biggest obstacles. You need to admit *to yourself* that you have a problem. Otherwise no one can ever help you. It sounds like you are a serious alcoholic for a late teen/early twenties. Who cares if there are more fucked up people than you at AA you’re going there to help you, not to compare yourself to them.

>Any idea or opinion that does not please me will be belittled in an irrelevant matter please only tell me forms of help I can argue against

Op is gigantoid faggot

This.
Dubs speak truth

start dabbing

you need AA or to check into a substance abuse center. most substance abuse centers accept a ton of insurance carriers, and some will even work with you to help you even if you don't have the money.

I've been to AA. Certain groups/meetings are better than others. IME, most places do not force the religion aspect, but they do all agree in surrendering yourself to a higher power for assistance, they just don't all define what that higher power has to mean to you. although I believe all meetings I have been to have concluded or contained the lord's prayer.

i'm currently enrolled in a substance abuse center, and i am sober and am getting a lot of benefit out of a more medical approach. my counselor asked if i was interested in harm reduction, or full sobriety, and how accountable we need to be with me stopping.

i've personally tried mitigating alcohol for years and while i'll manage that for a while, eventually nightly drinking will sneak up and i'll be drinking more than i mean to, and the thing is, it'll cause problems for me even if i'm not getting drunk.

if alcohol is affecting your personal life, your work, or your hobbies, you do have a problem.

i forgot to mention, alcohol withdrawal, if you actually have been consistently drinking for sometime, even not getting drunk every night, is a horrible, horrible time.

you need to make sure you have someone to check in on you while you're detoxing. for me, the 72 hr mark kept me in bed for three days. i was considering going to the ER at one point, which you should if you experience DTs.

Do kratom

never more than 5 gram per day

Sorry, but college is way too early to be drinking. I understand the peer pressure but there are plenty of adolescents in college who abstain. Change groups.

Now after college and when I had worked for some years, I began to actually drink like a real drinker, meaning everyday. Between work and sleep I got fucked up A LOT

After 10 years of doing that I could do it no longer. I mostly only drank beer but I can't even drink a beer or 2 anymore without my gut and organs whining at me.

There is no such thing as a living healthy alcoholic, that's complete bullshit, alcohol is not healthy, not even wine.

The only positive thing alcohol could do is clean your gut of bacteria.

AA is bullshit brother. i tried it several time but always came back to hitting the bottle. Do you feel like you bottle up your emotions? Personally I found that I was drinking so often as a way to deal with all the shit I botttled up during the day, everyone knew me as a stoic rock but deep down I had some issues man. Im not saying were all the same just something to consider

Just go to a few aa meetings or at the very least read "bills story" from the "Big Book"... You don't have to commit to anything so what harm could it do?

>aren't an AA sort of guy,
Most people who think they aren't aa types have never given it an honest try...
"...though perhaps he came to scoff, may remain to pray". Look at me quoting the big book like a proper aa cultist! Seriously though at least show up to scoff and see what it's actually about before declaring yourself "not the type", because if alcohol, drugs, food, sex, video games or virtually anything else are fucking your life up you're probably exactly the type.

>Still beleiving he can drink normally if only he can devise some limitations or boundaries.
Kek have you tried drinking just beer yet? Or only liquor on weekends, or after 5, or only clear liquors, or no shots, or only shots, or only outside your home, etc, etc? Let us know how those work for you!

>2-4 nights a week

Good for you, bud.
Its been almost every single day for over 2 years for me. My liver is fucked and in the morning I get light headed episodes followed by extreme confusion. The other day I thought I was in the kitchen getting cereal when I was really in the basement tripping over my feet kek Im a mess too.

>I gave up on sobriety
>It's AA's fault not mine
Yea ok chet

I don't think I'm physically addicted right now, as I can go days without drinking. Even when I was drinking everyday, I had stomach issues but other than that nothing serious.
I know I have a problem, I'm not saying that I don't. I just don't think it's so bad I need to go to rehab.
Thanks user, I hope you get better. So you're saying I'm always gonna be like this?
I use to think I was drinking to cover something up, but now I have no idea. I'm not really upset about anything, and like I said my life really hasn't been all that bad. I just drink just to do it at this point.

I felt that way too, when youve been bottling shit up for a while you feel numb. Very little gets you feeling superficially. I used to think self reflection and meditation was for gays and trannys but taking time to feel shit and think about how it really impacts you has helped me cut down on the drinking. Do you come from a culture that celebrates a stoic man?

Other than my dad being sick, there's really nothing that's been bothering me. I feel like any issues I have personally I've pretty much accepted about myself. Maybe I'm delusional though I dunno. What I do know is that this isn't working for me. Part of me does feel like I'm depressed, but I also feel like I'm only depressed because I'm drinking so much and it would go away if I stopped.

Would you say that you feel as though your life has become unmanageable? Or that you don't have power over the alcohol?

This.. except probably higher dose

Man, Im telling you thats exactly how I felt. It took me losing my girl to realize this is what was wrong. I always saw depression as something for weak people and never thought of it as a possibility. I was using the alcohol to supress it but thought I was fine cause I was just drunk all the time and didnt feel shit. Dont let shit get to the point where you hurt and lose the people thatbare important to you man. Ive done a lot of realizing and it cost me a lot to find that the people in your life are what matter most. Dont let it get to that point. If you feel like you need anti depressants or some shit, get them. Dont self medicate with alchol, It will destroy you man.

I wouldn't say that. Had you asked me this three years ago when I drink every night, definitely. I don't know what's wrong with me, honesty. I don't know why I'm doing this. I don't enjoy drinking, it's not fun, all it does is make me miserable. Maybe I just need to get laid or something.

I'll keep this in mind, thanks user

Take care of yourself bud, wish you the best on your journey

Sounds like you just need to fill your time more productively user. 2-4 days a week is not dominating your life. Alcoholics need medical attention when they go without for even a couple days.

I spent several years drinking every day from morning to night. My internal organs are basically pickled, i have 0 prospects for paying my hospital bills, 0 friends, family hates me, only job is at a liquor store because of my encyclopedic knowledge on booze.

Constant horrible pain and godawful noises constant in my entire abdomen, crrently thinking about opening a hundred proof bottle and relapsing right now as it will be the only way i sleep tonight. Good chance it would kill me though so instead i am telling you my story so that you stop asking for advice on Yea Forums and save yourself while you can.

Thanks, you too
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out for you. I feel like an asshole for making this thread, but it's stuff I needed to read. I appreciate it.

>my life is totally manageable
>I'm miserable
Ok, user, if you say so.

>Smoke weed errday
>Existance still suffering; but stoned, fuck it

>Alcoholics need medical attention when they go without for even a couple days.
Alcoholism/ addiction problems come in many forms and levels of severity. There's always someone who's addiction is far more severe than the next person's... That doesn't make any of them less important.

I am not discounting the seriousness of addiction. I am saying that OP can help himself, by himself, if he does so now. Some people stop drinking and their heart stops beating

Good luck OP, i believe in you

Find other rhings to occupy yourself i ended up drinking out of being annoyed plus my previous job addes to it. But dont turn the next thing into something consuming you.eg like energy drinks instead of alcohol helps

OP you have every classic sign alcoholism. Right now you are experiencing the phenomenon of craving due to the physical allergy to alcohol. Once you've been sober a few days then that mental obsession will kick in an lead you to the next drink. As these other compadres have mentioned, get your ass to A.A., it's gonna be the last house on the block for you someday so you may as well get started right now.

Fuck, I'm in the same boat. If I don't drink I shake like crazy, so I drink to make it stop. How do I stop?

Attached: 1551932919251.jpg (1200x1108, 144K)

Here's a crazy idea, but have you tried stopping? Literally just when you think you want to do it, don't.

By not doing it?

milk truck just arrive

lol it is NOT that simple, what the fuck else are you meant to do? drinking makes things fun.

/r/wowthanksimcured

Okay listen.

Do not set yourself artificial goals like 30day challenge or whatever.

You have to answer yourself these questions, and better put your mind to it, don't do it half-assed:

1. Why do I drink?
2. Do I want to drink?
if yes, when do you want to drink?
3. When do you not want to drink?
4. When is good time to drink?
5. How do I feel after I drunk, when I shouldn't?
6. How do I feel when I avoided temptation to drink?

Also it's very likely that you drink because you have no responsibilities and too much free time. Start to plan things you always wished you would do, but convinced yourself that you don't have time. BS. When you stop drinking you will so much time you won't believe it. Also FIND RESPONSIBILITY. Do something for your family, for your community.

How do you think everyone else isn't an alcoholic? By drinking? Nope.

Get actual help for this and never take any advice on this site... except for this

by being boring faggots that can't afford to, stay mad about facts and reality though

Honestly, the people saying "Just stop drinking" kinda have a point. It really does just come down to deciding, every time you want to get a drink, not to drink.
AA or therapy or support - they're just crutches. In the end, the only person who an quit alcohol is you. You just have to commit to it.

Git gud scrub

*who can quit