Am I retarded for wanting a motorcycle? My whole family is saying I’m gonna die the instant I get on the road...

Am I retarded for wanting a motorcycle? My whole family is saying I’m gonna die the instant I get on the road. All I want to do is have cheap insurance payments and stunt a little with some friends.

Pic related. 2019 Honda Grom

Attached: 86D28320-BC73-4A96-863B-4449076E07EF.jpg (1024x768, 87K)

Nah. I've made tons of bikes through motorcycling. You will too. Do it!

Just pay extra attention on the road since people text and drive now. And go slow on intersections. Lots of people go through red lights all the time.

Pic is my bike pretty much.

Attached: s5M2DGY (1).jpg (600x315, 45K)

>Am I retarded for wanting a motorcycle?
No
>grom
>"motorcycle"

No not at all OP,
go for it dude.
Also sweet Grom.

Fuck what others say, i couldn't imagine wasting all my free time stuck in some cage in traffic.
Pic related. My 08 FZ1 Daily.

Attached: !P1120567RAWlevel.jpg (2304x1728, 382K)

>pretty much

You don't have a bike. What you just did was the equivalent of "I have a girlfriend but you wouldn't know her, she goes to another school. How do you have a pic of a bike like yours but not a pic of your bike? I'd call you a fucking squid but you aren't even that.

I've made tons of friends* I meant to say..

Start off with a 250 dual-sport and make it a supermoto. The 125cc Grom sucks on the highway.

60mph is fast enough for me to learn on and keep up with traffic. Plus when I loop it, it won’t go off into the next county.

Grom is not a motorcycle mate

Motorcycle riders make great organ donors, at least. Its usually a young male sans head, so the rest of the organs are available

Since when is pushing an engine to its absolute limits for extended lengths of time ever a good thing? The grom wont last long on the highway and you need a little more power not to get run over getting up to speed.
People are shit drivers. Always have, always will be.

Grom is a manlet motorcycle, so if you're 5'6 and up then it might be too small for you. But idea is proper, get yourself something low on cc, maybe start with 400cc max and learn to ride it really well. Buy an inexpensive one that you will drop many times while learning and once you're ready is when you can invest into more power.

I traded my cadillac sts for 1100cc honda shadow 12 years ago and never looked back.

Attached: TB2d_d4aRLN8KJjSZFpXXbZaVXa_!!3280167576.png_430x430q90.png (430x430, 116K)

I don’t ever plan on doing highway stuff on the Grom. Mostly just around town and back country roads. I do want to drop down a tooth in the front so I get a little more acceleration though.

Driving motorcycles is actually goods for the the environment, since you need way less gas. Why accelerate such a big mass when you can just accelerate a light motorcycle?

haha so many people want to start riding and want to do it on a GROM lol

I'm a self-taught rider and I work at a dealership. You want it because it's cheap right? I'm assuming you don't have your endorsement.

Where do you live and how old are you? I can tell you if this is a good or bad idea.

Buy a 300 - 400 to start, don't buy a grom. The wheels are too small and they don't turn right because of it.

Is it good for city folk

Pussy talk.

60mph is nothing and you need the power to out accelerate danger.

Grom is only good for hooning around the public library parking lot

Still waiting on evac

I think problem is misinterpreting size from photos. I too wanted Grom until I went to look at it at the dealership. That's when I realized it's a moped.

Much of my family isn't happy with mine either. Just got myself a 1983 Honda Magna. I'm traveling with it in about a year or so. I never gave a shit, but they don't know I'm leaving with it in a while.

Early 20’s and in the South. Yes I want it because it’s cheap but also because of who I’m gonna be riding with. 3 of my friends all have Z125’s and I wouldn’t fit in on a Honda Rebel.

I ran someone off the road who was on a bike once when I was a teenager, kept going cause I just got my license and didn't want to lose my car/insurance.

I'd say yes, you are crazy. You'll be on a BIKE, surrounded by 2-3-4-5 ton machines all around you. Especially in my area now, where 90% of people drive trucks and SUVs. Once crash and you're either dead, crippled or if you're lucky, a severe chronic pain patient in the age of no-more-opioids.

I rode one at the MSF class.

sorry I didn't read the thread, I was playing Overwatch and being a moron. Im the dealership fag. I'd agree with this guy get a 300. I haven't heard of the turning issue but GROMs aren't your typical bikes and the ergos on it are different. I honestly do not recommend people learn on it. It's good for the city as a second bike/some experience because they are easy to store and park, and a lot of people resell them so you can always find them.

I work at a Honda dealership, but if you're a first -time rider and plan to stick with it, Kawasaki Ninja 300 are what I'd consider the best. They are seriously awesome bikes. Anything post-2015 is the new model and it's durable as fuck and good specs.

The CBR 300 is a fine bike too and they are really similar honestly, I think the performance is just slightly better with the Ninja.

1. Ride smart. 2. GTFO the city quickly or keep it to lower-speed roads in town. 3. It's fun as hell.

t. own 2 dual sports and an advbike

Way, way stupid. It's outside the city that someone on a motorcycle is far more likely to have a crash. Hills and people coming out of driveways, and the fact that nobody is fucking expecting to be on the lookout for some dumbass on a motorcycle.

Dealership fag again. If you're younger than 25 your insurance is going to be pretty high even on small bikes. Get a quote estimate if you are seriously looking around because it could be a waste of time for everybody. And that's just for liability/cost of bike coverage. Considering you're a first time rider, are you sure you just want to be riding without medical coverage? something to ask yourself.

I've never been in an accident but I know that there's a risk that I can do everything 100% right and still get hurt.

>2019 Honda Grom
My cousin had a Grom, and she loved it; but her boyfriend
has a much faster bike, so she traded up.

this. My brain always takes about 1-2 seconds to process them. They're not apart of normal, routine traffic, and don't belong on the road.

A full coverage plan from progressive ran me about $150 a month on that grom. I can definitely afford that since I don’t plan on financing.

gr8 b8s m8s i r8 8/8

if you are okay with $150/mo, then good. The only issue is the GROM. Not a good choice.

This is how it happened too. He pulled out in front, with adequate distance, but I had a mindfart cause wtf is that and I never expected it I accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the break, after I panicked for a second I just went to react and my foot just didn't move from one pedal to the other. We both recovered momentarily and I slammed on the brakes and he just biffed it on his own at the same time. He was chasing me and waving his fists as I drove away.

I had sympathy at the time, but that was 20 years ago.

Someone would have to be a total dumbass to ride a motorcycle in this day and age. I get nervous even just driving a car. Massive trucks and SUV's everywhere.

dude wtf?!?! I pay $630 A YEAR on two cars.

Attached: 1543667470458.png (1440x1945, 313K)

Like I said, it’s mostly because of who I’ll be riding with. My friends have Z125’s and like to stunt a little. I originally wanted a Rebel but decided I wouldn’t fit it too well with the group. Like being the only sportbike guy in a group of Harleys.

This.

/thread

Attached: 44404784_744223465945117_2190908829674242048_n.png (270x444, 266K)

Motorcycles have cheap as hell insurance when compared to cars bro.

Then he must be 16 or financing or something.

no you are enchanting, i enchanted a harley n dirtbikes but i sold the dirtbikes n kept the harley before i got the harley everyone of my family members except 4 my cousins would always say ima crash and die lol i said you are enchanting you will not crash and die niether will i

also i enchanted some more dirtbikes and im keeping these 2 kx125s, you are enchanting a 2019 honda grom, you have enchanted a 2019 honda grom, congratulions you won you are an extreme enchanter n i think theres autos board if you want more help like from enchanting guys who got honda groms

>Massive trucks and SUV's everywhere.
And the hardest thing on the road for them to see is
>guess it

Op here. If I get the legal minimum it’s $80 a year.

That's what you asked in your original post.. it's funny because I spend all day trying to talk people INTO motorcycles, but you seem to have already decided for yourself. I'd sell you a GROM at the dealership no problem if I were talking to you in person, in fact I do it all the time. It's my top selling bike. If that's what you want, you do you. It's impractical and you are buying a bike to fit in with your friends' bikes apparently, so personally I think you're going into this for all the wrong reasons.

Literally anything other than their fucking phones, up to and including goddamn trains.

I guess I never thought of it like that. Am I being talked into buying a bike I’ll get tired of? I mean I rode one at the MSF course and it was fun as hell but that was just one and a half days with no traffic. I know I’ll have fun on anything with two wheels, and being able to pop it up is one of the big reasons I want the Grom. But hell I want 6 other bikes too.

I have a bike because it's cheaper to run and I don't want to spend the first year of learning to drive with a fully-licensed passenger in the car at all times (as is Australian law). If I'd had the correct support and mental condition to learn to drive whilst I was in high school, I wouldn't be riding what is essentially a chair with an engine everywhere. $10 for a full tank of fuel is pretty good though and if you have an IQ over 90 and/or value your life, you won't break the road rules. Eventually I might make a mistake, or someone else will, but that risk is the cost of having reliable transport without getting ass-raped by the cost and stress of a car.

Attached: 2018hondacb125e9.jpg (1024x683, 93K)

Yeah no shit the course is fun! It’s all the fun parts of having a bike: riding. And you don’t have to at the very least worry about the ownership side; you’re riding other people’s bikes. I’m just being 100% straight up with you man, I ride, and I’m around bikes every day. As long as you realize that bikes aren’t practical and you are buying the least practical one, okay. I got my 1st bike when I was 27 and I had a car already. If you rush into this without thinking about it, you’re going to be saddled with a very expensive financial burden if It doesn’t work out.

And just to be clear: do you have a car, or would this be your primary mode of transportation?

Well, if Jimmy Carter had remained president, or we otherwise would had just not been ruled by anti-european fucktards, we would had been prepared for this. We would have public transportation, below ground power lines (fucking god damn eyesores!) and quality healthcare.

Instead... We have 100+ million jackasses driving around in gas guzzling trucks and SUV's dicking around on their cell phones.

I appreciate the advice bro, you’ve given me a lot to think about.

Already have access to a car. It fucking rains a lot so car is a must.

are you actually brainlet city slickers or just trolling
don't trust this nigger

I just bought a grom like 2 weeks ago. Great for me since I live close enough to work that I don't have to attain high speeds and I can ride around with my stunt friends in the city. Definitely recommend an exhaust since the stock is too quiet and mean people will hear you less, and a flat seat since the stock one is very uncomfortable for taller riders.

Every bike offers something a little different. My DR650 is a very basic, kind of heavy dual-sport with not "a lot" of power. But it is kind of like a tractor, chuga-chuga through almost anything. My V-Strom is a hell of a lot faster, being a 998cc v-twin, but it's also heavier and less suited to fucking around in the dirt like a hooligan. The Himalayan (lol pajeetibike) has basically no power, but it's simple, capable enough in the dirt (look up EverRide on YT), and except for needing a far better seat, is fine out of the box for DD duty and zipping around on dirt roads without the speed to get into too much trouble.

You want a Grom because your buddies have Groms/Z125s. That's fine; they're hilarious little things. I have friends with bikes of different kinds worth well over 10k FreedomBux(TM), and that's fine too. Find what and how you like to ride and fukken do it. Just please don't squid.

I paid about $150/year for liability insurance on a Suzuki intruder 800. Insurance is usually pretty cheap. I even had 2 speeding tickets when I got the insurance and I live in Ca where everything is expensive af

Get it, just be safe, don't be cheap when you are buying a helmet, full face not some cheap bullshit. Its awesome just start slow.

If you want to buy a motorcycle, just to stunt, then you're probably gonna get fucked somehow. I recommend you take the MSF course, then pursue buying a motorcycle. Even after doing the course, you're still not finished learning.

It’s definitely dangerous but you can make it safer by having good high visibility gear, a good helmet, never having even a single drink before riding, and if you’re in a state where it’s legal, a modulator on your lamp.

I drove one for years when I lived in CA but got rid of it after moving to the Midwest because there’s too many deer and other animals.

>midwest
>deer
They're like ants out here. I came across four small herds and three individual deer riding back from a longish afternoon trip through the country. I got to where I just chilled out and rode below 60 the whole time. The little bit of rain we got made them kinda bonkers too.

Having access to a car makes it a lot more bearable. There are times where you simply cannot ride your bike or honestly just don’t want to. At least you live down here where you can ride most of the year.

So here’s what I’d tell you man. Buy used, but only a few years old. Let someone else take the lot depreciation off, and if it’s new-ish, there’s probably a reason they are trying to get rid of it. You said you’d buy a GROM outright, right? Get a nice lump of cash together. Look at both private sales and dealerships, but don’t be in a rush. This is important, check the ends of the handlebars to see if they are scratched up. This means someone has dropped it. Which is fine (I dropped mine a couple of times) but use it to your haggling advantage, or note if it is REALLY fucked up, then it might be an issue.

If you don’t rush and slowly save $ at the same time, you will eventually find your dream bike and it will be amazing. If that wait time ends up being a long time, that’s fine. Your insurance will only go down.

yes

/thread

This is what my bike looks like.

Attached: A682F7D2-5A7A-4647-A81B-D72299099230.jpg (815x544, 88K)

Here's what mine looks like. Well, a few years ago but you get the picture.

Attached: Dat Mud - 5 Nov 15 (Resized).jpg (1980x1113, 1.33M)

>learn to ride with 400cc
I'd say let him start with 250CC, with the ninja. Ride it until it collapses then when you have the experience then go buy some higher cc motos.
>10 years of driving experience

>250cc Ninjette
>collapse
Only if he doesn't maintain it, like at all. That'd still be a good firstbike tho

I like it!

I want to upgrade my license in the Summer
Eurofag, so from 48hp to unlimited basically. now i'm looking for a big thats tall enough, because im about 194cm.
I had a er6n, felt good, but looked really silly.
Anyway i get a tall bike relativly cost efficient?

Thanks. That incident there was how I found out exactly why mud and straw/reeds/marsh grass have been used as building materials for millenia. It was maybe 20 hours between having that happen and me having the time to clean it all out.

Also, the bike has a big Acerbis tank now, a far better seat, and some other shit here and there. My buddies recommended I get a D606 rear and a StarCross hard terrain front and that combination worked wonders in Moab.

yes ,totally

Motorcycles are the most dangerous form of transportation, statistically speaking. A lot of those numbers are people being idiots and there are plenty of things an individual can do to reduce those risks. If you know what you're doing, you don't have to drive dangerously for the fun factor and sex appeal they can give you.

Ok, the first rule of riding a motorcycle is to not be an idiot. You're giving up a lot of protection and the threat of totaling somebody's car if they hit you for increased visibility and agility. People won't see you, and if you're not paying attention they'll run you off the road.

Wear a good helmet, carry medical insurance, and for the love of god don't pull any stunts until you know what you're doing.

dont do that, user

Youre gonna die the instant you get it on the road

Just get a chopper

compromise: buy a bicycle.
parents will approve.
profit!

You will die on the road anyway, only slower. It's the curse of the two wheels.

Source: I used to ride my bicycle everywhere. I've had two major crashes, one medium, and countless little scuffs and near-misses.