Tor over VPN

Tor over VPN.
Change my mind. Any risks?

Attached: 800px-Spirit's_First_Color_Photograph_Mars.jpg (800x836, 146K)

>Any risks?
there are always risks
vpn only changes who you trust
can you be sure they are better than your isp?
maybe if they are in another country they are better, maybe not

What if I use Tor alone? Is it better or not worse than using Tor over VPN?

when you trust your vpn more than you trust your isp its better, if not then not.
sorry, but nothing is 100% safe

I guess it depends on what you mean by "trust."

Just for the record, you could use both.

If you really sit down and look at the problem, there's very few ways to access stuff online truly anonymously. Even if you're compromising a wireless network, law enforcement can use mathematics to get a general idea of where you are via the strength of the signal your packets are traveling on. What you're really doing by employing VPNs / TOR / anonymity steps is simply trying to make it so expensive to reveal your identity that it isn't worth it.

What you're doing with a VPN is just creating a tunnel that your data travels though. ISPs can't see what's inside the tunnel, but you're basically trusting some company isn't keeping track of you. Moreover, there are limits to what a company can do it they get a subpoena from law enforcement.

When you use TOR, you're on an encrypted network of routers that are set up around the world and sending your data at such distances that it's hard for anyone to track what you're doing. Tor is still notoriously vulnerable to MITM attacks, and it assumes your endpoint node isn't compromised. As an aside, the government decides to invest in buying enough TOR routers and attempting to monitor the traffic, they're going to be able to get a lot of insight into what people are doing.

Moreover, there are other elements of OPSEC that people forget which aren't explicitly technical. If I was really paranoid about people seeing what I was doing, I would use two VPNs and TOR. But even then, the idea that this makes anyone invisible is laughable.

Attached: diversity.png (1024x595, 991K)

So is that a yes?

Attached: shut up.jpg (1280x960, 398K)

If you can read 13 sentences directly explaining an to your question by someone with a masters in cyber security, it means you're a fucking idiot and deserve to get caught with whatever you're doing.

New fag detected

Look
Tor bounces your location from time time to time
So as to keep your real location ambiguous
VPN makes your location to be a certain place you desire
Its fixed and doesnt change unless you change it voluntarily

The downside to tor is that it slows down your surfing speed
VPN is relatively faster

So if you are a complete privacy freak you might be willing to sacrifice your surfing speed for that extra but of privacy
Otherwise you may go for a vpn

It is well known that the US Govt runs a LOT of TOR nodes.
This is partly to allow their own operatives to use TOR, but it is also easier for them to catch people who use it for ends they don't like.
As long as you don't mind the US Govt possibly being able to figure out who you are anyway, use TOR, but if you don't mind that then go VPN

You>VPN>TOR>VPN>Socks5>your target
You can use physical isolation proxies and layered virtual machines in whonix to achieve this. That's what some fraudsters do. Fuck it, connect to all that through a 900mhz directional link to to a 4g modem a couple miles away.

forgot to add in Tor bridges with obfuscation turned on. Although out of all the unreliability that each layer brings to the connection, this one is the worst. For some reason most bridges suck

I'm confused
Should I be on a walkie talkie from a rooftop away from my computer?

>As long as you don't mind the US Govt possibly being able to figure out who you are anyway, use TOR, but if you don't mind that then go VPN
kek. you used "you don't mind" twice. but you can't really hide from the (us-)government anyways

whonix in qubes* woops

Wiggity

lol sort of, yes lmfao
some dude made a kickstarter for a package that does the 900mhz thing but it "mysteriously shut down" meaning spooks kindly told him to stop. But anyone can build it with ubiquiti equipment

The man is right.

Source: Myself. I also happen to have as master's degree in computer science, focusing on data + network security.

It all depends on what you are planning to do.

Chiggy

nice

not him but how does this affect people not from the US?

well, is there any possibility of making use of banking card transfers and payments safely? (guessing not) Conceeding it is not possible, what is THE MOST secure and private way of doing it?

>go to 7/11
>buy iphone store gift cards
>redeem them into an anonymous bitcoin wallet
>tumble the crypto a few times until it's untraceable
>use it to buy stuff
>do the whole process with a throwaway laptop (that you've never used for anything else) via a VPN on TOR in an untraceable location's wifi (like stealing Starbucks WiFi or something)

meant to add buy the gift cards with cash.

you mean vpn on tor or tor on vpn?
thanks in advance

FBI and NSA cracked Tor a long time ago.

>>use it to buy stuff
Where are you getting that shit shipped user?

offer alternative?

BS.

Why not use TOR browser while using a VPN connection?

Use TailsOS with a VPN.

and for banking? payment and transfers?

Playpen

Attached: 1321522.jpg (400x400, 115K)

Accept that you will be tracked, observed, and spied upon at all times online. Assume someone is watching everything. Take comfort in knowing you are just a statistic to everyone until you do something stupid enough to draw attention from people who have the power to fuck you up.

Any benefit you gained from using a VPN is erased by using TOR. It's just a honeypot now. The protocol has been broken for years. Don't look at anything through TOR you wouldn't want to describe to a cop.

thanks for the common sense

based on the premise that Tor is compromised I assume?
If not, I would think using a tor relay on top of a vpn would be safer than using vpn alone or tor alone.

If you just want warez, there's Tribler. But no one uses it.

TOR is compromised. People have written papers about it, and better ones about what someone with time on their hands ought to do instead. You only have to google "tor compromised".

Disappointing isn't it? You put in the effort to help someone and then it turns out they are too lazy to even help themselves. This is why only a handful of people are successful in life. The rest just leans back and blames their fortune.

Tails and Tor ftw