Why is reading better than listening to an audiobook or podcast? Is it actually even any better or just all hype?

Why is reading better than listening to an audiobook or podcast? Is it actually even any better or just all hype?

Thank you for your time.

Attached: foreign-language-reading-strategies.jpg (450x300, 26K)

Kinda is just hype. Audiobooks can be pretty great, in all honesty. I fondly remember listening to the audiobook for 'The Physician' while drawing. Lets you take in a book without having to have your eyes and hands occupied. Also nice on long journeys, to listen to while for example looking out of a window.

I enjoyed daily masturbation while listening to the audio book mine kumpf hitter konw z just how to make a dick hard

Did you have a stroke while typing?

Because I sell books so it pays my wages.

reading is better, because your mind can't drift off when you have to read on your own, so you'll get the whole story.

Ive had better experiences with audiobooks, but they can also make a book i mightve liked unlistenable depending on the narrators. Reading is cool, but i just find it hard to focus most of the time since there are other things id rather do at home, but audiobooks are a whole new world opened, work goes by quick.
They are different experiences for sure, but audiobooks are just so convenient its hard to even bother using my eyeballs.

Better for what tho

Attached: what.jpg (400x562, 28K)

It's the opposite for me, I pay more attention while listening to audiobooks than actually reading

you fondly remember listening to some stranger read a book to you? are you being serious? dude your life must suck
shit, are people going to fondly remember watching streamers play videogames and youtubers vomit out pop media?
are you being serious? dude your life must suck

your mom

Dude chill

Prefer reading, but like audiobooks for driving, in the shower, etc...

Anyways, I have a lot of unique voices in my head for most characters, and audiobooks kinda replace those voices so I try to avoid them.

She deaf, so readin better

He clearly had a stroke while listening.

are you ok? do you need someone to talk to? i am here for you brother

Attached: Mooji.jpg (470x470, 39K)

Reading engages the brain and helps develop comprehension and critical thought processes.
If you think that listening to an audiobook is in any way, shape or form akin to actually reading a book then..shit you're already too far gone. man.

>Why is reading better than listening to an audiobook
its not

no not at all, there are a large majority of the population that believes being read to like a toddler is somehow an intellectual endeavor
like literally people who are too stupid and lazy to read themselves

so being tought something by a professor is the same?

The "intellectual endeavor" in reading has to do with processing the words and ideas, not the act of reading, something a child can do albeit slower than an adult.

Yup. You're a toddler unless you're 100% textbook learned

shit if your professor isn't having y'all read to follow up the seminar or to prepare for the seminar then y'all got a dumbass professor
shit you think at the big time science expos and shit everyone just fucking shows up? no they fucking read about the subject and study it so they can understand it better

oh ok i guess we shouldnt teach people to read anymore? reading is very much a part of..reading. the fuck you talking about?

reading engages your brain more than passively absorbing an audiobook. like many things, audiobooks are popular because they are convenient.
reading and writing is literally one of the things that separates human beings from animals. or distinct as animals, if you're an evolutionfag

>fondly remember watching streamers play videogames
I fondly remember my favourite fortnite streamer reaching 100,000 kills. It was an epic stream, he had 6 people left in the game with him and he was on 99,094 kills. He went into the zone and had three epic build battles and ended the game with 100,000 kills and a victory royal. Great stream.

I also fondly remember pewdiepie content too. Like 'gas the jews' and the 'hitler' stuff.

I used to read all the time. Now I prefer audiobooks because I can do something else with my hands and eyes while I have the book in my ears. My favorite things are level grinding in a video game or surfing for new favorites and artists on Pixiv.

haha no you pedantic fuck, people can still learn by listening and watching and smelling and feeling
reading is different than a baseline emotion, it interacts cognitively with your brain in a very direct fashion which does not occur with listening
if listening was even have as focused as actually reading then teaching would be the easiest job ever

Reading that has not only helped me improve the speed at which I read, it also has taught me a lot of larger words I otherwise would have never known. In recent years I have learned to speed read and in about 30 seconds I can read, understand and memorize about 10 to 20 pages depending on the complexity of the book. It's something I really wish I had learned for college. My speech has improved as well, I am American born and bred, but people tell me all the time that I sound intelligent namely because I use larger words than most of them can comprehend.

Who said people shouldn't learn to read? There are many reasons to learn to read and there is some material that works better as written text than as audio (I don't think a math textbook would make a good audio book) but nothing is stopping you from listening to a philosophy or history audio book and processing the information the same as reading it yourself. If you want to chew something over, just pause the audio. You're just getting bent out of shape for no reason.

I actually find I follow better with an audiobook. It's weird, but my mind is more likely to wander if I'm reading text. Also, sometimes my eyes will end up going over the same group of words over and over again, like a skipping CD.

I read Neal Stevenson's historical fiction trilogy that way. I bought the first editions in hardback because I love the author, but I actually read stuff by torrenting the audiobook.

I thought my sarcasm was obvious. Derp

Attached: 84rncmrmz1m21.jpg (3459x3093, 526K)

alright dude, here is a thought experiment;
there are two guys who want to tell you about a book
one guy tells you he read the book once
one guy tells you he listened to someone else read the book once
who will you trust more on the subject?

99,094 + 6 =/= 100,000

listening to an audiobook IS NOT READING
the reason you have a hard time reading is because YOU DON'T DO IT

>streamed playing video games
Kind of, if I'm being honest. I like watching no-commentary playthroughs of many games because A) I'm a poorfag and B) I suck at games that require dexterity. It was much more enjoyable watching someone else play Nier: Automata and Mega Man 11 than it would have been stumbling and dying and eventually ragequitting and wasting a lot of money because of all the content I would never see.

I am too far gone. Well, good to know the truth, I guess.

today's manbaby literally can't even handle the frustration of playing a fucking VIDEOGAME himself, even that is a spectator sport now.
so many pacifiers in this world

Everyone in this thread is wrong...

The simple answer is if you read well reading is much much faster then listening to some ones voice.

That's it that's all

I do my intellectual endeavors reading textbooks because I'm in school. I do my non-school stuff by audiobook because, like everyone else says, I can do other things while listening. I can't walk around in a suit or go running or ride the exercise bike with a regular book.

Attached: 1.jpg (852x480, 32K)

Fucking read and fucking g professor and fucking science fucking seminar fucking g shows and fucking reads fucking toddler fucking stupid.

The subject being the contents of the book? I'd say I trust them the same.

/zGqqyVq

Hello my little Yea Forumstards, are you searching for a true ACTIVE discord server to hang out and make friends?
Where the mods aren't power hungry?
Look no more!

We have MEMES, tons of LEWDS, a selfie channel, comfy channel, lots of E-Girls (Traps/Femboys too!).

see? people who don't read have incredibly poor comprehension

Shit, you must be very easy to manipulate.

i think that's fair enough tbh. i see audiobooks replacing reading as a bad thing, but if you're reading textbooks, you're definitely engaging your brain that way already.

>I sound smart because people can't understand me
That's a sophomoric understanding of "smart". If you were actually smart you would adjust your communication to fit who you're talking to.so they can get the maximum understanding of what you are saying.

Confusing or talking past someone is easy and stupid, like speaking g in another language from them. It takes brains to communicate effectively with your audience.

Attached: download.jpg (318x159, 12K)

You are very easy to trigger. If I cared about the contents of the book, I'd read it myself.

No, that's not true. I had these problems before audiobooks we're really a thing (although I had books on LPs when I was a child). I read textbooks without much problem because they tend to be broken down into sections with distinct topics. It's fiction with pages and pages of uninterrupted walls of text that can bamboozle me.

That said, it's only really dense fiction that I have problems with, like System of The World or The Silmarillion.

inb4 you're a moron those books are easy

>Reading books
Soul
>Listening to audiobooks
Soulless

I liken it to the thousands of "manbabies" who watch football or basketball instead of playing themselves.

well said
yeah watching sports is gay as fuck too, congratulations you've found a way to join them in being gay. one reason to watch sports though is the fact that so many people do it, for social reasons it can make sense to follow it for a season or so, especially if you're going to a new school or starting a new job. it's so a part of culture that it becomes an arena for discussion.
Lobosjr plays dark souls (pyromancy only) doesn't have the same social function

>social function
People talk to each other about books they enjoy and have in common. I have witnessed this in social and work settings. Three days ago I witnessed two people talking about the same book series they we're both in the middle of: One was listening to the audiobooks, one was reading the text. They are both above average intellectually.
My conclusion: Watching sports has no greater value for social bondi than consuming books.

wtf are you even talking about, we were talking about watching video games versus watching sports. that's where watching sports CLEARLY has a broader social utility

Oh. My bad.

well stop trying to derail the thread with your autism

Its about reading not video games and sports you sperg.

Reading uses much more of your brain than listening.

I'm sorry. I was just saying that having someone else do your entertaining thing for you doesn't make you a shitty person.

Bombino

Cadilloc

Finnardner