car is overheating
mechanic calls back next day
"could be a coolant sensor, could not, hard to tell until I install it."
shop calls back this afternoon
"your car is ready to be picked up"
me - "awesome the replaced sensor fixed the issue?"
"yes sir"
"great see you sooon"
picks up car. doesn't talk to me is very short. I pay I leave. car overheats on the way home..........
what should I do. I paid them $200.00

Attached: smog.jpg (588x392, 78K)

Take it back because they obviously didn't fix it.

Hahahahahjajajajaj cuck. Learn to fix it yourself

call them and tell them its still overheating

I'm a mechanic, just go back and tell them they didn't fix the issue.

That’s not a mechanic, that’s a grease monkey parts shotgunning hack

it seemed like they knew they didn't fix it when I picked it up. which is what kinda pisses me off

Take it back pronto. It's probably the thermostat casing it which is a couple bucks at most.

just take it back there and complain. they cant just give you a broken car and leave thinking they wont get any trouble

yeah just worried about being "that guy" and them half assing shit if I complain but obviously they already have half assed it.

I'm not a mechanic but I am a service manager for a large shop. Overheating can be caused by a number of things. If they replaced a coolant sensor it may be because they used a scantool and the car threw codes relating to the sensor. That would be an obvious step one. If that's not the case and there weren't any obvious reasons, thermostat like the other user said would be our #1 first step. It's the least expensive step and often the culprate. If that doesn't fix the issue then there are other steps to take. What is the year/make/model of the car?

its a vw Jetta 2002 overheating usually starts while driving at higher speeds on highway. they said it wasn't the thermostat. asked about the fans because I know they are faulty and they said it wasn't that. he said he was a little stumped and wasnt sure if sensor would be the trick but like I said they called me back a few hours later and said my car is ready

vw Jetta 2002

Yeah, they likely let it run in the shop for a good while but you're saying it happens mostly at highway speeds and they probably didn't road test it long if at all. Do you know if they checked the coolant for oil or the oil for coolant contamination? That would be inductive of a head gasket. Or perhaps if the exhaust is unusually white in colour. I dunno, hard to say. It's not a new car by any means and VWs can be a bitch. That's all I really have for now without actually seeing the car myself.

I would suggest simply going back with it and explaining that you overheated on the drive home. It's as simple as that. It's the truth and if they're an honest shop they'll have a second go at it and cut you a break at the same time. Some things, when it comes to mechanics are very much trial and error. Good luck user.

my suggestion would be to start tinkering and learn stuff yourself as you can. i dont trust people so at least if its something i know how to do, i know it's done correct. and I save money. they also did day that may or may not fix the issue, you start with the most inexpensive repair first before you start doing all kinds of shit and paying out the ass. although that was a rip off.

>learn stuff yourself

This. You have the internet and youtube to help with almost any problem and you feel better doing it yourself while saving money and hassle.

I just don't have the time or tools figured id leave it to the pros but kinda just got a shitty deal

It sucks though. You cannot possibly learn everything there is to know in a single lifetime, and I hate how whenever I ask for help with even a single thing, I always immediately get disappointed with how unwilling to deliver high quality others are. Cars are a good example of that. I'm already a polymath, but I don't care about motor vehicles so I don't want to spend time learning those as well. Why can't a garage just fix my fucking car without ripping me off? Why is this an acceptable norm apparently? Fuck.

exactly like I take it to these people who should just fucking fix it. Im not super into cars or having the latest greatest vehicle so yeah I have an older car but they said they would fix it and thats what they should have done I'm just upset an kinda anxious about taking it back given how short and kind of dismissive they were it seemed like they just didn't want to spend much time on it

Yeah I get you. I was in that situation years ago and became frustrated relying on others that let me down, so I said fuck it - I'll learn how to do shit myself.

It's the same when it comes to computers. Most places just charge customers stupid prices for unneeded work that could be solved quick and cheap if they were honest.

Look at it this way, if you really care about your stuff, you will do a better job compared to some guy getting paid per the hour to look at hundreds of customer's cars he doesn't give a shit about.

The only things I get shops to do is heavy stuff I don't have tools or experience doing (engine replacement etc.)

Stop being a Nancy and learn about cars

This. Find a real mechanic.

Work on your car by day, street race with your crew at night breh

Attached: 1385867528122.jpg (1920x1080, 407K)

discord..gg/yg4NaW5 ((remove the extra dot.))

Shitposting Yea Forums autistic server with no rules. Post whatever you want without risk of ban! Freedom of speech for all.

GORE

LOLI/SHOTA

EGIRLS HERE

VC

!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!

your fault for being so gullable

Pretty much how new cars work. When in doubt start throwing parts at it in ascending order of cost. It’s not really an unusual way to troubleshoot.

Most mechanics don't know dick about troubleshooting problems.

could be just low on coolant. Especially if it cools down if you put the heat on. It could also be the thermostat stuck. The worst thing it could be is the water pump

If it was a sensor it would throw a code, which they would scan and see

>Volkswagen
Theres your problem.

Attached: FB_IMG_1556039262723.jpg (960x460, 40K)

$200.00 for a coolant sensor!
You can get one at the local auto parts store for $30 and change it yourself in 10 minutes.
Get some skills, Skippy.
As a bonus, you might have known that the problem wasn't the coolant sensor.

Probably the water pump if it's okay at idle but overheats while driving. The factory water pumps have plastic fins. If you replace it, make sure you don't get a factory, go aftermarket

Yeah, flush the radiator and change the thermostat would have been my first move.

>The factory water pumps have plastic fins

Why do German manufacturers do this? Fucking retarded.

Go live in Europe. You have 6 months of free warranty on each repair.

And if you know where the thermostat is, and easy check is to let the engine warm up, and if one of the hose is hot and the one on the other side of the thermostat is cold, it's the thermostat. If they're both hot, the thermostat is fine

You have to remove the bumper and front fender to change the battery on Volkswagen's now, they want you to go to the dealership for everything

get a 20$ code reader 1st?
what are you driving? a 66 bonneville?

59 pontiac catalina

I love Volkswagens in general. I still drive a 2005 Volkswagen. I'm really into classic Volkswagens. But I will not buy any car with this kind of bullshit. It's very easy to forget to look into what kind of repairs you can do yourself when car shopping. I would guess that most people don't even think of it. Some people don't care because they'll take the car in for everything. I don't work on cars a whole bunch, but I do some work. And I'll be damned if I can't do basic fucking maintenance. And a battery is basic fucking maintenance.

Anything with a transverse motor is a massive PITA. changing the belt or anything that runs off it is insane because there's almost no clearance. Same with trying to get to spark plugs up against the firewall.

Attached: troll-face-meme.png (604x453, 75K)

ok retard, did you sign a work order? Go get your money, take it to your buddy's mechanic, check coolant level, replace thermostat. JFC. RETARDS ON Yea Forums these days.