Ask a championship BBQ winner anything!

Ask a championship BBQ winner anything!

(Still new to competitive BBQ though. Won 2nd place at my first comp and 1st at my second comp)

Attached: 20190315.jpg (1076x1421, 1.17M)

What's your secret?
Sear first then slowcook?
Any tips for grilling over wood fire?

Why is it called a BBQ? Literally there is no “Q” in the word “Barbecue”. If anything it should be “BBC”. Therfore you are the BBC Champion.

WHY DO DUMB FAGGOT ASS DUSCORD NIGGERS POST THERE LINK EVERYWHERE

Attached: D.jpg (142x142, 3K)

2nd and first in what? Whole hog? Brisket? Ribs? Pulled pork? Ham? Chicken? All around? Actual BBQ pit man here.

There's no need to search at high heat at all in barbecue. The heat over time as well as your rub and the smoke will create the bark everyone loves.

Thats looks almost like top round, but its really marbled. Sirloin?

Its spelled "barbeque" dumbass

I dibt think it's much if a secret but a good cut of meat, good rubs/spices and a nice babying process is all you need really.
Theres a science to meat. Ince you study it and learn how salts and all those other good things work to different cuts then you're on your way to good eats.

I'm actually a fan of the reverse sear actually! I like to do a long slow smoke and then crank it up to 500 plus to get that good seat and lock it all in.

I'm also. Ot too experienced with cooking over wood fire but its best
Use seasoned (dried) oak or another hardwood, like walnut, ash or hickory. Dont use Pine or any resin-laden wood it burns too fast and creates an acrid smoke and makes the food taste weird.

Isnt it spelled Barbeque? Lol

Tri-tip probably. 3 different muscles with 3 different grain structures separated by folds of fat and sinew.

Aha, right. I used to have a jerky business and get top round in 30lb slabs. There is one section that has a very similiar look.

Won second place with Ribs and I got first for my beef tri tip

Eh I'll agree to disagree on that. Though I do believe low cooking can create a bark eventually but searing creates an amazing crunchy outer layer that gives meat more layered flavor

Well the bottom part of the sirloin! Its
Tri tip! It's my favorite thing to cook

I know you got pics of some of your meats...post them. I'm hungry.

Haha yes I do.

I'm a simple person. I like to make beer can chicken pretty often and I think it looks pretty

Attached: 20190204.jpg (1079x1521, 1021K)

Bump

GREAT THREAD THANKS FOR SHARING.

Too bad no ones bumping really

What style (Carolina? Memphis? Texas? KC?) do you make and why?

what do you mostly cook. ever do a brisket

What is your rub recipe? You said, ask anything.

Go vegan.

Well I'm from California so I don't have that natural southern kick that I feel real southerners add to their BBQ but I'd say most of the cooking I do is usually Texas or Memphis style

As mentioned above a tri tip is my favorite thing to cook!
I also enjoy filet mignons because since it's such a great cut of meat it requires not much prep and that's easy for me lol.

And I actually havent done a brisket yet but I will be doing one next month! It's my partners bday and they're requesting a brisket so I'll be giving it a go!
I'm a bit nervous because from what I know a brisket is a pretty tricky cut of meat so I'm currently studying all types of methods and trying to understand the process as best of possible

I actually dont make my own rub (sometime in the future I might try though)
But my 2 current favorite rubs to use are sucklebusters competition bbq rub and Killer Hogs The BBQ rub!

I'd rather not.

Mike mills calls you a faggot.

Enjoy your clogged arteries and diseases then.
The future is vegan.

I'm fine with that :)

when did u realize that you´re into BBC?

I know you have an obsession with black cock user but not all of us do.

Whats a good temp for slow roasting beef and how long?

Real talk would you ever eat human if it was legally sourced and clean?

I'm bored of cows and pigs. Grill me some bear or zebra steak.

When you're slow roasting typically you can be as low as 175...and the time just depends on the size and cut of meat.
The lower the heat the longer its gonna take.

Pfft of course! I'm dying to know what we taste like! From what I understand though us humans arent really that taste. Especially americunts like me.

I'm all for trying more exotic meats

How easy is it to get in to?

Did you ever use people for a chili like Texas chainsaw massacre 2?

You mean competitive BBQing?

Not too hard. Just search us for local BBQ comps in your area and you can submit an application.

They usually have different divisions and as a novice it's better to start off in the "patio" division.

No but I'm up for the challenge.

I'll call it Dahmer chilli

I enjoy a vinegar-based sauce as opposed to the sweet stuff most people use. Your thoughts?

A brisket absoutly must come to an internal temp of 209 degrees for at least an hour to render the collagen into liquid. If not, it will be tough. I trim the fat on mine, put it in a baking pan on a grate with a bit of water in the bottom. Cover in plastic, then foil and bake at 215 overnight. Then I transfer it onto foil to smoke in my barrel smoker. It’s the easiest way to ensure it’s fall apart brisket.

What's your best tip for someone who doesn't know how to cook?

Start learning.

do you know how to cook duck breasts ?

I'm actually not a fan of strong vinegar sauces but I do use it while cooking my ribs! The acidity of vinegar is great for mixing with other spices to create a great flavor!

I'm more of a fan of those smokey savory sauces

Will take that in mind.
A thing I've seen a few other BBQers do is actually cut the flat and the point and cook them separately because they will cook at different times.

Then I see others who cook the brisket as a whole. Which seems to be the more common way. But since I'm fearful of overcooking I'm almost tempted to cook them separately....still unsure.

Its honestly not that hard.
If you can follow instructions you can cook.
All it takes is a watchful eye.
Eventually over Time with following recipes and instructions you'll learn your own things along the way. That's how it started for me..

I'd follow other recipes step by step for a long time and then after I became more comfortable I'd start to slowly tweak the recipes until I made them my own

I actually dont. I like a lot of meat but I gotta tell ya..I am not a fan of duck meat.

Ever had alligator meat? It's delicious. Chicken flavor but flaky like fish.

It was invented by niggers in the South. Starting a roadside barbecue joint was one of the easiest ways for them to make ends meet post-slavery. All they had to do was dig a hole, start a fire in it and pull and old bedframe over it. Since they naturally couldn't read or write they just wrote "BBQ" because it was the best they could do.

Attached: ngbbs53a2d4e557771.jpg (300x300, 63K)

I've had alligator sausage before and it was pretty darn tasty! Would love to try more

BBQ made on gas instead of charcoal isnt BBQ faggot

Who said I use gas???

poor horse..
at least cook it right

Attached: 1458062922745.jpg (604x426, 92K)

que?
huehuehue

Attached: 1491684721769.jpg (403x403, 108K)

...its....its not even cooked yet user

I got an apron that reads “kiss the cock”
My wife doesn’t like it when i wear it to do BBQ and she threatened to file in papers for divorce if i put it on one more time to cook
What do?

OP bumping.

Welbm of me prepping some ribs

Attached: VID_54950522_18-VideoToMp4.webm (480x922, 873K)

was gonna say the same but u beat me to it..

op godspeed man

Thanks user

This.
Although i use chicken holders with a drip pan.
There‘s been a nice rise in the availability of good quality dry rubs, so i don‘t have to stock up on 30 different herbs and spices too.

Why is it that every food truck that sells Pulled Pork is operated by insufferable cunts, tastes bland and is waaaaaay overpriced

How do you cook‘em?
Smoke/steam/grill them or just smoke them for 5 hours?

How many minutes do I microwave BBQ for?

Well the time and prep for good pulled pork is no walk in the park so that's usually why its overpriced. It's more about charging you for the actual work of cooking it than the meat itself.

As for the bland part...dunno what to tell you user. You must live in a pretty European area or something

I smoke them on my pellet grill! The timing can vary. I usually go by feel rather than a set time.
But yes typically about 5 to 6 hours of smoking

Pic related.
My baby

Attached: 20190416-023450_Gallery.jpg (1025x1146, 859K)

bout tree fiddy

I know some good candidates. No randoms but I know some people that's got to go. Want to go 50/50 on a business? I'll do the hunting(killing) and you do the cooking?

Damn, i‘ve had a Weber kettle for a couple of years now, but with the new house there should be a new grill.
Pellet vs. gas, what‘s the verdict?

Can you grill on a pellet smoker or just stricktly smoke?

Not a question but, WELL DONE!!!

Congrats, I hope you keep your (obviously) high quality of craftsmanship up!

You rock user~~~

Attached: 1553505128162.jpg (300x265, 33K)

Pellet of course! Not even a question!

I think gas is pretty gross. I only will use it when I'm trying to make a quick meal.
I wont waste my time prepping and babying some good meats just to throw it on a gas grill lol

On certain pellet smokers you can technically grill if you have it high enough but it's not recommended for that.

Pellet smokers are indirect. Not direct.

I use my little acorn jr for high temp direct grilling

Its tiny but mighty. If you dont closely monitor this thing it can get to dangerous temps and basically melt haha.

Attached: 20190416-030929.jpg (1079x1080, 561K)

Thanks user! I gotta admit I dont have much hobbies or passions so I feel good having something I enjoy so much

Championship bbq winner or just delusional alcoholic?

No user an actual competition winner Haha

If you're referring to the beer in the pic it was a weekend. Its pretty much a sin to BBQ at home on a nice sunny day without a beer

use the doritos powder on the ribs, you won't regret it!
and don't overcook the meat - we don't want all them precious juices to be wasted, pic related, the perfectly done raw steak, you might not like it but this is what perfection looks like

Attached: 1515054036411.jpg (800x502, 151K)