I watched this video and I read a lot of comments from conservatives saying any research done suggesting climate change...

I watched this video and I read a lot of comments from conservatives saying any research done suggesting climate change is real and man made is not legitimate because 1. it's all government funded 2. any scientist who argues against climate change is immediately shamed and puts his/her/xers career at risk 3. It's all a big conspiracy by solar and wind companies to undermine coal, oil, and natural gas. I understand their argument, because that's the same argument for geologist whores hired by their oil company pimps to do damage control against their fuck-ups and global warming. But is it really the same? Should all research funded by the government be dismissed as biased? If so I think we're in a lot of trouble in many fields. But academic research is scrutinized and gone over with a fine tooth comb isn't it? If someone fucks up, the academic immune system comes and removes the errors.. or at least that's always how it's portrayed

But for those looking for independent research, all that's out there is amateurs, armchair scientists, old scientists whose half-life of knowledge ended 30 years ago, etc etc. I mean, professional scientists don't generally comb through archives of data and write 300 page reports for free, and usually people with those jobs are running on government grants or oil companies paying researchers to protect their ass

What are your thoughts on this Yea Forums? Yes I tried /pol/ but as fucking usual they don't like threads like this that seemingly belong there. I'll try again later but probably just get saged again

video in question - youtube.com/watch?v=DRBfM709Yqc

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 77K)

Well this post is clearly super biased and the fact that you couldn't find research is a sign that you didn't try.

I'm a republican but i dont understand why so many of them latch on to the idea that climate change is fake.

I doubt we can have a constructive discussion but I will try

I mentioned my problems with independent with independent research, not that it doesn't exist but
>But for those looking for independent research, all that's out there is amateurs, armchair scientists, old scientists whose half-life of knowledge ended 30 years ago, etc etc

do you disagree and why?

Because climate change means we have to find alternative forms of energy or at least a reform of how we use natural gas. And that costs money and loses money for politicians who get pay outs from oil companies and folks who create weapons/vehicles for the military

there's 2 groups, ignorant average joes who can't fathom we can fuck up the planet just by dumping CO2 into the air, and paid whores like this guy who don't care and just want their oil daddy's checks

Why wouldn't people be skeptical of climate change? In the 70's we were told that the earth was cooling and we could face an ice age that would kill us all. Then it was global warming. Then the various polar vortexes changed that to climate change where the definition was revised to state that the earth was warming but that was causing general havoc, including colder winters. Even if that is scientifically possible the argument is hilarious as it continues to change as climate models are proven wrong time and again. When I was in university in 2010 we were told that air travel needed to be cut by 90% immediately or we would face a catastrophe on a global scale in a decade.

>Why wouldn't people be skeptical of climate change? In the 70's we were told that the earth was cooling and we could face an ice age that would kill us all.
That sounds quite a bit like climate change tho.

Attached: 1552960306301.gif (540x540, 993K)

I stopped being a republican because of the answer to that question. ...it's the same answer to all scientific questions, whether climate science, evolution, stem cell research, etc etc etc. It's an answer that destroys the ideology.

Now I have no party.

skepticism I understand. dismissing all the scientific literature based on changing news headlines, miscalculations from your professors, and other anecdotal evidence I do not concur with.

the idea that CO2 emissions from industrial manufacturing can increase the greenhouse gas effect goes back as far as the mid 19th century, at least. Global average temperature and melting glaciers have been recorded since at least the early 1900th century

>skepticism I understand. dismissing all the scientific literature based on changing news headlines, miscalculations from your professors, and other anecdotal evidence I do not concur with.

You're conflating the two. One can and should be skeptical of changing news headlines and miscalculations from your professors. Call it anecdotal if you will, many climate models have been wildly incorrect. This is not the same as dismissing evidence, this is acknowledging that previous statements made as fact were anything but.

Personally I have no doubt that we are in fact impacting the planet, but, again, you can understand one's skepticism of the latest doomsday scenario when much of what is put forth to them has been proven wrong time and again or simply changed on a whim when it was originally announced as fact.

Because they are deep-rooted Christians and believe that God would never alllow us to do that to outselves, because God loves us. And when Jesus comes back, which is any time now, he's going to save us all.

>many climate models have been wildly incorrect
are you talking about predictions? of course predictions are going to be wrong when you are modeling something as complex at an entire planets environment. Statistics, probability, and computer modeling aren't exact sciences. Though I'd like to see what models you are referring to, and if they give more technical details, like confidence intervals

>Personally I have no doubt that we are in fact impacting the planet
Ok. So why should we pretend people who don't acknowledge this are being intellectually honest? And if we don't create a sense of urgency, people aren't going to do shit. I don't think we have to lie and say the world's gonna end in 10 years, but Ii there's a problem for humanity, 50, 100, 200 years down the road you can almost guarantee people of today aren't going to care about the people of the futures interest above their own

but nothing has been proven wrong aside from wild outlandish theories that noone took seriously in the first place

40 degrees above normal temperatures in the arctic and facing a blue ocean event. Rapidly warming oceans are decimating marine life.

>be big oil
>hide own studies proving global warming by CO2
and already no credibility left on that side of the "argument"

Then you are a fucking idiot. You are lying. Most conservatives don't "believe climate change is fake". They believe the earth is warming but don't believe that man is the main cause of the warming. They also might believe in climate change but don't believe in crippling the economy and chasing inefficient corrupt "green" solutions that are proposed by democrats, many of whom obviously dont have Americas best interests in mind. Al Gore made billions shilling an inconvenient truth and literally none of his predictions came true. He said Miami would be underwater by 2014. My parents have a place on the gulf of mexico near tampa that I've been going to yearly since 1988. The water level has literally not changed noticeably, we still have the same shitty old sea wall.

Climate change might be happening but
the scare tactics that democrats use is so overblown and insane.

No, the models that are used to project what will happen to the climate have been wrong time and again. Not just the predictions. The latter can and often are wrong but we conveniently substitute it with the former.

>So why should we pretend people who don't acknowledge this are being intellectually honest?

We don't have to. My point is that you can understand their skepticism given the number of times they have been told one thing and found that it is completely wrong. Keep in mind that we are talking about the average person who has not done independent research here. It isn't a case of being intellectually honest, it's the fact that they see no changes when being told there would be massive repercussions.

>And if we don't create a sense of urgency, people aren't going to do shit.

Very true but that sense of urgency has been fueled often by lies. Even if the purpose was noble you lose support from people who call bullshit when they see and smell it.

Again, I am talking about the average person here which is actually the most important group to appeal to as they form the largest voting bloc. Many have heard it all before and do not believe what is happening as it was exaggerated in the first place.

Nonsense, we've had a multitude of predictions that were proven wrong but taken as gospel for years.

You should ask these people to state their highest level of completed education before you're willing to take their opinions seriously.

As a general rule, when someone starts claiming something is "settled science", you're dealing with someone who is pushing an agenda.
"Science", by it's own nature, is NEVER "settled".

100% this

t. biology degree holder

The only opinions that matter are those of the well educated. The rest of you should be grateful that we even consider you to be people.

>3. It's all a big conspiracy by solar and wind companies to undermine coal, oil, and natural gas

It's more likely that it's a conspiracy by the oil and gas industry to protect their profits. The tobacco companies spent decades denying the research consensus for the same reason.

Do you honestly believe there's a global, international conspiracy by the solar and wind industries? How on earth did they get so powerful?

Attached: sad.jpg (640x646, 55K)

Poorfag needs nicotine and gas. inb4 kys, get a job, etc. etc.

cash.me/$Aussilott

>Even if the purpose was noble you lose support from people who call bullshit when they see and smell it.

Ok I'm glad we've found some common ground. But assuming CO2 emissions are having a detrimental impact on the Earth that will devastate human life in the next 50-200 years, what do you suggest politicians, the media, etc. do? Go back and report old stories were wrong and why they were wrong, and then update the public on what the current science says? Sounds like a lot of wasted time and money just to inform the public that what we thought and what was misreported 20, 30 years ago was wrong. Sounds ridiculous to me anyway, it's like saying "doctors used to think smoking was OK, so I'm not going to trust my doctor today telling me I need chemotherapy to treat my lung cancer"

I think you are clearly a faggot.

yeah obviously. but if all the scientific data and reasoning is pointing to one conclusion, that doesn't mean we consider all hypotheses equally valid because "the science is never settled"

>What are your thoughts on this Yea Forums? Yes I tried /pol/ but as fucking usual they don't like threads like this that seemingly belong there.

/pol/ was literally created by Moot to corral all the retards in one place away from Yea Forums. You can't expect anything but racists and mouth-breathers there.

The science board (/sci/) here is pretty good, although very slow.

Tell that to the creationists.

>/pol/ was literally created by Moot to corral all the retards in one place away from Yea Forums.

Source?

Spoiler Alert: You pulled it out of your ass.

I think we have more common ground than you think, my friend.

>Sounds ridiculous to me anyway, it's like saying "doctors used to think smoking was OK, so I'm not going to trust my doctor today telling me I need chemotherapy to treat my lung cancer"

But it isn't the same thing. Doctors preached one thing and then were essentially unanimous in saying that smoking caused cancer. I realize that you're tempted to say "scientists are essentially unanimous in stating that climate change is real" which, while true, does not address the fact that they are absolutely not unanimous as to the ramifications of climate change. We have vague statements of "more extreme weather" and predictions of complete catastrophe. The details are extremely important. Now add to that the fact that they were very wrong in the past and average voters say "you're probably wrong again."

>Go back and report old stories were wrong and why they were wrong, and then update the public on what the current science says?

Absolutely. There is no killing the "oh here they go again with their doom and gloom scenarios" argument without doing so. More importantly, it is a perfectly fair and reasonable thing to say that experts have given us so many different predictions and were so often wrong that there's little reason for me to trust them now. Owning up to the alarmism and incorrect predictions can go a very long way to winning someone over. No one expects you to be right about everything that you say and most people are reasonable. They know that mistakes happen. But experts who have been wrong time and again have little appeal when they come around with another list of predictions and never acknowledging their failures in the past.

What I believe they should do is be plainly and perfectly honest and, just as importantly, consistent. You lose the average voter when you swing from "we will all be dead in a decade" to "we COULD see varying water effects in SOME areas of the globe."

This thread is rediculous

Global warming / climate change influenced by man kind originates from a survey offering a hypothesis that, of the losers that replied to it. Agreed that yeah, could be influenced by mankind. That's the hypothesis. And no one has brought any sort of evidence to prove the hypothesis correct since the hypothesis was accepted. Just a bunch of outlandish projections that, NEVER came true.

The truth of the matter is, the same people that push clinate change resist nuclear power. Which is the tell all of motive. Not YOUR clean energy, MY clean energy. That produces batteries we don't know what to do with, and creates turbines that cost more energy to make than they will ever create.

Is the climate changing? No shit, how old is the earth? Our extent of time affecting the climate is so short, to think you've dented it would take a narcissist. Pick up a real cause, stop being an ass clown pedalling someone else's agenda. Fossil fuels aren't going anywhere, the great lakes didn't dry up, and the glaciers are doing fine.

Christ this went on longer than I thought.

You need to explain to voters exactly how these recent powerful storms are actually worse than those that came before. Especially since we have a relatively short period of recorded history when compared to the age of this planet. How, precisely, can you tell someone that things are getting worse when you also tell them the planet is billions of years old? Average voters say "how the fuck do you know it wasn't like this 422 million years ago?"

Acknowledging past mistakes, honestly stating what most believe will happen (and that mistakes can occur again but that the general hypothesis is correct), being consistent with the narrative, and addressing basic counter arguments will win them out. Short of that, continuing to lurch from one prediction to another that share no common ground will never, ever work. Especially when you are explaining this to people living in a time of a very high cost of living in an age where job security and daily life is far more expensive and difficult than it once was.

Actually the political theatrics are there to keep you distracted from the true severity of what is unfolding. We are facing a planetary extinction level event. The corporate military will keep its hegemonic grip on power until there is nothing left. The ecosystem has been collapsing for decades. When crops fail and the right on time delivery system can no longer provide, chaos and cannibalism will ensue. Enjoy today because tomorrow will be here soon.

You can choose not to take part in this however by overcoming your dependence from the system. Learn to exist in the natural world. Choose not to take part in death and suffering but instead in love and lasting creation. You have to really try to care. You're going to find it impossible to change anyone or anything without first changing yourself.

>Our extent of time affecting the climate is so short, to think you've dented it would take a narcissist

we've doubled the amount of CO2 in the air since the beginning of the industrial revolution. we're not in hot water yet, but we've started a domino effect that will lead to another Permian–Triassic extinction event

Climate change ? You know there is a funded group in Colorado that promotes green ideas to save the tourist industry and says the snow is less and less frequent . But facts say that Colorado had over 30% increase in snow last year . To many of you are standing in 3 feet of snow telling me how the earth is warming ......lol

Holy fuck. A civil, intellectual discussion on climate change. On Yea Forums

Attached: 1546251513082.jpg (827x755, 81K)

>40 year old Yea Forumstard stopping by from facebook to cherry pick

Prove it! Where are the signs? Are they anywhere. Don't give me radiation in some sort of tree at high elevation bullshit. There would be affects in so many areas that studies should be prevalent. But they're not.

It's a good, HYPOTHESIS now test it or fuck off. Prove to me that "double CO2" fucking matters.

If it's so bad, why is it everyone who's so woke to this issue hasn't changed their behavior. They want to change your behavior. You have to change. Not them.

Why does every climate change plan come up with economic restrictions in areas that haven't even been proven to have an effect?

Your theory? Wack.
Your statistics? Wack
Your "proof"? Wack
Your cause's PR? Wack

Nuclear energy? It's tight as fuck.

Guy standing in snow ..... I’m sure you’re a libtard because you’re woke af ?

Chemical ice nucleation. Colorado openly participates in climate engineering operations. China creates snow storms where ever they are needed to keep the norm and so does the US, which has for far longer.

In fact it has often been snowing in the 40's(F) in recent years which tells you something.

Miami is in a constant struggle to keep up with rising ocean levels.

My friend moved from trinidad in 1998, his old neighborhood is now 6 ft under water

The water is rising nigga.

Attached: 1541953969766.jpg (250x250, 7K)

Just out of curiosity what is your highest level of completed education?

Different person but It’s not about being woke. It’s about the fact that the earth has been getting warmer. Does that mean it’s never cold? No. Does that mean that the world will end? No. But it does mean that flooding and droughts (not at the same time or in the same area obviously) will becomes more common which will cause economic loss for the country. If there is something we can do I.e. invest in green energy which will slow down the rising temperatures and create hundreds of thousands of jobs why not do it?

Is that guy on the right Thomas Massie?

Snow does not refute climate change

CNN OP is fake. No one will take you seriously. Your reply to this post is a waste of your time. Am no longer in your fake thread.

>facing a blue ocean event
That's the thing a lot of people underestimate, or willfully/self-delusionally ignore for the sake of pushing an agenda, the effect of feedback loops. The removal of reflective ice, all the gasses and dormant biological matter trapped in permafrost.
And warming ocean is just one factor along with acidification because the higher the density of co2 in the atmosphere the more of it gets absorbed by the ocean and turned into acid.

my family is tight with his like we go to his house and shit, nigga has a tesla

>you a libtard
Nah i just ain't a dum dum

Crazy stuff happens around here from time to time.

Your wrong about the flooding and droughts . You have the misunderstanding that warming means the whole planet has an increase in local temperatures . But the science says that the tropics and equator temperatures will remain constant and warming takes place in cooler areas . This is why our earth is greening . As the climate warms the storms , hurricanes , floods , and droughts become less severe and less frequent . Even your major studies say this

You are clearly sold on this world ending climate catastrophe you look like a sucker ( dum-dum)

–More frequent and severe weather
–Higher temps melting permafrost, releasing tons of methane which is even worse than CO2 when it comes to the greenhouse gas effect
–As temperatures spike, so does the incidence of illness, emergency room visits, and death.
–Rising temperatures worsen air pollution by increasing ground level ozone, which is created when pollution from cars, factories, and other sources react to sunlight and heat.
–Higher wildlife extinction rates
–More acidic oceans
–Higher sea levels

all is a recipe for disaster

>Most conservatives don't "believe climate change is fake"
A large number do, including their leader in the White house.
The parade of excuses doesn't really inspire confidence either imo. Like it's never just one issue, it's that it's all a hoax BUT if it's real it's not our fault BUT if it is we can't do anything about it BUT if we can do something we shouldn't because it's too unfair for polluters or we just can't make progress until everyone else does first because leading the way is bad now. You have these excuses set up like dominos expecting a few to be knocked down but still setting them up again each time to drag out the argument and stall experts so they have to keep debunking the same shit over and over with no time left for moving on to how to fix things.

You are wrong. Rising global temperatures do not mean that all
Local temperatures will rise true but it means an average rise in temperatures. This average rise in temperatures will be greatly felt in colder areas. This IS causing glaciers to melt which is causing sea levels to rise and flooding to be more common.

Hurricanes are formed in warm water and lose power over cold water. As global average temperature rises the water gets warmer I.e. hurricanes do not lose power as soon and in fact gain power as the move north.

You are wrong in many of your points and I can cite sources if you’d like . But just out of curiosity what is the “right” amount of greenhouse gasses and what is the “ideal” temperature ?

Coz truth is halfway there. Climate change is real as fuck but it is not a man made phenomena. Climate was always in motion long before 1st human being set his foot on the planet and will change long after every last human being will cease to exist. That is if we wont somehow destroy our planet half way thru by any other means.

I have an associates degree through a radiography program. What i'm asking for is pretty basic but no one seems to be able to fulfill it.

Hey bro idk about you, but it doesn't actually seem to be getting warmer. Infact those floods are related to the sparatic snow that keeps popping up, at least in my area. And I said I'm a believer in climate change. Just not MAN MADE clinate change.

I bet you can't provide a legitimate source for 90%of that. And most of that, you probably have no idea what the normal levels are? This is why I say the theory is narcisistic.

>doesn’t seem to be getting warmer

Yes because the world doesn’t revolve around you. Other parts of the world have seen the hottest years on record every year for the past 10 years

user is right.
i don't care what kind of back-cave-dwelling non-passport-owning, never-leaves-hometown, inbred-hick you are
>you can't have failed to notice the difference in and extreme weather patterns in recent years
>i'm 40 years old and not particularly outdoorsey but you can see with your own eyes how the weather is changing

And all the incels

>and I can cite sources if you’d like
please do.

I don't think an "ideal CO2 level" matters as much as ensuring that it isn't increasing. If we just stopped all production, the earth would find a good level on it's own

But just so I'm not avoiding the question completely, I would say about 350ppm. I found a quora post a while ago testing plant growth level with different CO2 levels, and for plants the more the better but around 350 the plants were doing relatively well

Direct loss to rising waters isn't even the worst of it.
Higher water means worse storms penetrating deeper inland and worse erosion. You don't need land to be underwater to be "lost" just have it fucked so frequently that it's too costly to rebuild and maintain.
And the most densely populated areas in the world over in Asia are some of the first on the chopping block. The current migration crisis from instability will seem like a joke when we are in the thick of climate migration which is already starting and worsening instability. All the poorest, most densely populated places will become so uninhabitable and deadly that fleeing will be the only choice no matter how difficult we make it for them.

>associates degree

Attached: 1363984557069.jpg (250x272, 24K)

Man, I get that. What cities, why just some and not all. Why not similar cities to the cities that are having these record highs, some places are having record colds for winter. Also how can you orove that its man made? Temperatures rising does not indicate anything other than that. And it goes the other direction.

It fluctuates both ways, and history has shown that. Hence the prediction of another ice age in decades past.

I say again, good hypothesis, now prove it. Not that it exists. That its man made.

If you think colleges aren't a scam for brainwashing you're a child.

How many degrees are participation trophys? Whats your degree? You have a pretty good superiority complex for not being able to refute a single point. Is it nice living in a box you made for yourself that prevents any conflicting ideas?

Everyone knows that the climate is always changing to the point of brining it up being a non-sequiter distraction.
The point is how FAST and MUCH it changes because that effects the ability or organisms to adapt.

>doesn't actually seem to be getting warmer
>SEEM
lol this nigga ain't even using measurements, just his feels.

>If you think colleges aren't a scam for brainwashing you're a child.
Funny how it's always the dropouts and failures who tout this opinion. The only opinions that matter are those of the well educated.

>It's all a big conspiracy
Stopped reading there.
If the crux of your argument is "its all a huge conspiracy you guys fo real!!" you're either a troll (and a bad one at that) or a fucking retard. I'm going to wager both. Shouldn't you be studying for finals or something? You wanna make it into the 11th grade don't you?

You sound just like my GED holding brother in law.

I'm observing my own surroundings. The definition of seem is "give the impression of"
>this nigguh
Is getting the impression that temperatures that are rising are in areas that just the fact they're rising. Does not inherently make it man made.

Nice try though

If you think that's true I refer you to Alexandria Ocasio Crotez
I'm super pumped you feel that way bud, care to take a stab at refuting any of my points? Cause your opinion is pretty invalid considering this is just an anonymous board and for all I know you're a trap lover.

Wait What When?!
I mean, yes, Climate was always in motion. But that does not counter argue that humans pumping CO2 and methane into the athmosphere has an effect on it.
As far as I recall the climate has not changed this fast for millenia and the most plausable cause is our involvement.

And this is why only the educated should vote.

Pol doesn't like you because you're a gigantic sweaty kike nigger faggot.

if you had kept reading (or just recognized the context) you would've realized I'm listing conservatives arguments that I don't agree with

Not one Republican has ever used any of that as an excuse. Youre a scared little man.

It may not be fake but I find it hard to believe that the world is going to blow up in 12 years if something is not done now. The left are going about introducing their fears totally wrong and I dont buy any of it.Come forwars with some unbiased facts and not this extreme biblical apocalyptic bullshit and more people may buy into the myth.

I lost track of the climate catastrophe when I rewatched Al Gores movie. then i realised how well their strategies worked out later on. By fearmongering to push people onto the streets and getting the media involved to spread the Moral Good human thing to do and with that to demonise the opponent based ONLY on CATASTROPHIC FUTURE VISIONS that never occured or even had their symptoms showing. The West got infected by emotional lies by manipulating the people on a moral basis noone else on the world cares about man made climate change due to Co2 emmissions

Attached: HDL.png (567x850, 122K)

THIS.
The more outrageous bullshit they predict the more fake they look.