ITT: We make rainbow spoons

ITT: We make rainbow spoons.

I study chemistry and at school they taught as today how to give normal spoons a rainbow color by using household items only!

Materials needed it:
1) duct tape
2) a lighter, the bigger the flame on the lighter, the better.
3) A normal spoon. (Tea spoons work too but normal ones are the best for this experiment).
4) A faucet with cold water.

How to:

Step 1:Wrap the handle of the spoon in 4 to 6 layers of duct tape and hold the flame above the spoon until it gets very very hot, about 2 minutes should do it.

Step 2:Now that the spoon is hot, turn the cold water fauced at full force and hold the spoon underneath it.

Step 3: Profit.

The science behind it:

The duct tape is a good heat insulator and is needed so you can hold the spoon without getting burnt.

Lighter flame gives off various gases that stick to the surface of the spoon. (That's why you need to hold it for about 2 minutes or longer, so enough particles can stick to the spoon.)

Applying cold water while the spoon is hot forces the particles from the lighter to coagulate on the spoon and the sudden change in temperature causes the particles to react with the metal from the spoon to create new chemical bonds, giving off that beautiful rainbow color.

Pic related.

Now that you know how to make rainbow spoons, post results! (Don't worry, washing the spoon will remove the rainbow tint so they won't stay like that forever :P )

Attached: b64663f4d80562c4ba2643ff3ab8e51fc5ec211c.jpg (400x400, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=anVHN5q4Wgs&t=165s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pic related, if you do it correctly, this is how they're supposed to look like in reality

Attached: Capture.png (521x928, 960K)

Attached: nJ_8t9c6yst75C7rONWBEL8mMu8bgaHYQFfagLLpg9g.png (960x745, 562K)

Already proven fake: youtube.com/watch?v=anVHN5q4Wgs&t=165s

Try again.

Fuck off edgy faggot OP.

I'm sorry rainbow spoons trigger your homophobia.

>If it didn't work on one spoon it won't work on any
Get fukt faggot.

Because every spoon is the same ofc...smh

I accidentally created this effect on the bottom of a frying pan and I don't know how. I really doubt OP's way is safe though.

I wish I had some pancakes

If you have a gas stove, it's the same principle, it's the chemicals from the gas that stuck to the bottom of your pan giving it the rainbow tint, the same works for spoons.

And the procedure is completely safe, metallurgy works always include cooling red hot metals in water and nothing explodes, lel

Someone go do it I never saw it actually working

I think I'm going to do it lads. Wish me luck and no homo

post pics pls

The spoon will shatter explosively possibly getting shards in your eyes. I'd advise against...

Thanks for warning me.

I did it and nothing happened, in fact the spoon lost its shine , now it has a dark grey color, so i just fucked up the spoon you niggers, so thank you for nothing

Please prove this with a video. I braze metal for a living and consider myself an expert in red hot metals in various shapes and types being plunged into cold water. I have never seen anything explode ever. It may warp some but not explode. Even heavy cast iron only cracks from thermal stress.

faggot.

Sociopath

It sprays you when the water hits.
It's a red hot spoon held under a water stream.

Attached: 2407382.jpg (960x698, 166K)

you are the worst type of nigger.

Ok but it's still true

Wow this is fucking old.

Attached: TiTdMjP.jpg (1200x1080, 256K)

he used a fucking bic lighter with barely any flame

nope
the color is from thin oxide layer that, depending on it's thickness, absorb some frequencies of visible light whilst reflecting others
same procedure can be done electrochemicly using various salt solutions, but the result is almost always oxide layer
the only exception I know off is with silver regarding polysulphides

a metal spoon can really explode?

Iv heated up tons of spoons cooking shots of heroin a Bic lighter not going to do shit.

i work with metals too but i think its more about them chink spoons that have no release done correctly, so they might shatter under such circumstates, that just a guess tho

Anything can explode.

If you watched the full video, he also used a fucking blow torch that got the spoon red hot and still did not explode.

will my sexlife explode one day?

can≠will

Always love it when Yea Forums science experiments gone wrong

I tried this and my penis fell off

Attached: ryan_sad.jpg (275x183, 7K)

i know its a shame but i keked

can confirm
I now have a pocky stick where my dick used to be to replace it

Was your front pan copper bottom?

If this was fucking true, quenching any blade/machining piece to temper it would cause it to expldoe. You guys are all fucking brainlets,

Just did this; took a crane to get the spoon out

It doesn't do that you dumbfucks. Quickly cooling metal down doesn't cause it to explode.

Guess you won't be able to spoon any more juicy bitches faggot