Can someone please redpill me on wine? All the brand names mean nothing to me and I picked these at random...

Can someone please redpill me on wine? All the brand names mean nothing to me and I picked these at random. How much should I pay for a "good enough" wine for dinnertime?

Attached: 20190319_210233.jpg (2560x1920, 1.72M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6IQyb58jE3c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"good wine" is subjective and you can find plenty of good shit for cheap. it really comes down to your taste. I worked in a wine bar and while I'll admit that $1000 bottles are very good, you could easily find a $20 bottle that would be great. wine is something with exponentially diminishing returns, find what you like and stick with it. just because it's cheap doesn't mean its bad

If you aren't trained to taste then just limit it to ~$15. I recommend training yourself though, it will improve the experience.

10 to 20 dollars will buy you decent wine. These two are shit from personal experience. read some reviews or go to a store with someone who's job it is to make recommendations

wine is for your aunt. don't be a fag

Apothic for reds

don't buy chardonnay or pinot grigio because the good ones are out of your price range

Order the second cheapest bottle of wine on the menu when eating out. The second cheapest bottle is the most commonly bought, restaurants know this and jack the price up more, but you don't want to break with convention user.

They're all equally shitty, and anyone who claims they can tell the difference workout seeing the label is a pretentious cunt.

>I worked in a wine bar and while I'll admit that $1000 bottles are very good, you could easily find a $20 bottle that would be great. wine is something with exponentially diminishing returns, find what you like and stick with it. just because it's cheap doesn't mean its bad
completely this

From experience you need to try different types to know what you like. It's like saying what's the best type of ice cream.

If you find a wine you like write down what it was and try to figure out what you liked about it.

For a red I'd suggest starting with a bottle of Merlot.

>pinot grigio because the good ones are out of your price range
You must be joking.

>For a red I'd suggest starting with
Heitz Cellars grignolino.

There are people out there who make a living of accompanying you to the local Walgreen's and telling you which fifteen dollar hooch is the best? Can I do that? What qualifications do I need?

also wine snobs are the fucking worst people, closely followed by beer nerds. I enjoy good alcohol but let's be real we're all getting drunk

go to bevmo, total wine, or another local bottle shop. employees there will actually know their shit or at least share what they enjoy

Do gas stations converted into liquor stores count? The lady who was holding down the fort at 8 in the evening rolled her eyes at me when I asked where the corkscrews were kept.

try shopping somewhere that isnt a walgreens pal

Why would I? They added a little Kroger in the corner so now I can get my hot pockets in the same place I get my miralax.

Those two labels are chock-full of marketing language. That's usually an indication that you're being hustled.
I remember Estancia chardonnay from about thirty years ago. Sold only in restaurants back then. Pretty good flavor, more body than Tijsseling.

get some Chilean wine, even the cheapest bottle is still good.

Also a which pace am I supposed to drink this shit? I poured half a pint glass worth and I'm feeling rather merry if you ask me.

Slower than beer, if you are eating 1 or 2 glass per plated meal. ymmv

slow sip it player wine will get the best of you very easily

Good wine is French.

Chile's wine industry was developed by Fritz Maytag back in the 1970s. He came from the washing-machine family and was the owner of Anchor Steam beer. One consequence of his involvement is that Chile's grapes are pretty much all Californian.
Wineries in Uruguay and Argentina, on the other hand, tend to be older and of a more European tradition. They like to work with the tannat grape, from southeastern France, interesting plummy flavors. They also have a white grape called torrontés that tastes like a mixture of rkatsiteli and traminer.

youtu.be/6IQyb58jE3c

Look into a tasting event if you can, for the most part it's simply a matter of personal taste though. In general good wines can be had at nearly all price points. Just buy a bottle and drink it, if it was good remember the brand. A cheap wine that's good for the table is carlo rossi, I like their dry Burgandy and Sweet Red.

I am not drinking any fucking merlot

Good wine doesn't have to cost much,
is kinda right
Brand names mean nothing, there are different sorts of grapes
To know if wine is good you have to try, if it's good buy more of the same bottles from the same year
Some 5$ wines are quite good

Broadside is the best red wine

In blind taste tests, the preference for the more expensive wines vs. the cheap wines becomes unreliable noise at around $10-20.

I.e., don't waste your money on expensive wines. Buy a few different things and try them and be unapologetic about whatever it is you decide you like.

Wines vary by type of grape, by region, by year, and by producer. Generally in that order of importance.