Time to weed out the retards

Time to weed out the retards.

Attached: bait.jpg (480x240, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelus#In_text_annotation]
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Any other answer can fuck off.

Wrong. It is 9. Keep your job where a cash register does your math.

literal retard

faggot can't even do first grade math

PEMDAS.. yikes..

Retard it’s 9

fpbp anyone who thinks different is a low iq retard

That's six divided by two times 3.

Attached: wolfram.png (819x591, 27K)

I believe this is correct. PEMDAS?
>parentheses, 1+2=3
>multiply, 2(3)
>divide 6/6
6/6 = 1. Can someone let me know if i went about that incorrectly?

could you imaginae being so fucking retarded you don't understand how pemdas/pedmas works?

MD & AS are on the same level, you do them left to right

P
E
MD
AS

You're retarded. After parentheses you go left to right.

this

6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
3(3)

9, once you solve the parenthesis you have 6 ÷ 2 x 3.
Retard.

This

you still do parenthesis first

Threve

There is no official convention on how whitespace/grouping fits in order of operations, and there is still disagreement on whether the obelus and solidus are different division operators.

Depending on how one chooses to interpret these ambiguities, both 1 and 9 can be correct answers.

I got 1

at first :/

Only retards write division this way. Make it a fraction of two terms and we're in business.

Hold on, I just realized why people could get different answers. It’s all because of the stupid division symbol. Some people may see the problem as 6/(2*(1+2)), which would in fact leave you with 1. However because of the way the problem is laid out, it could also be seen as (6/2)*(1+2) which would equal 9.

I’m no math teacher, so I’m not quite sure which one is correct. If anyone knows explain pls?

Are you mentally handicapped? 6/2 is 3, (1+2) is 3, 3*3 is 9. Even if you do the parenthesis first the answer is the same.

And then once they're open you continue to follow. You don't bring multiplication into their spot unless left to right permits it, it doesn't in this case, so you save that x3 till after.

yes
thank you for saying this my nigga

6÷2(1+2)
6÷(2+4)
6÷(6)

What is math?

Attached: BF8AC6BF-7371-49FA-89F4-EC67BF95218D.jpg (750x754, 364K)

Attached: 50494732_2603955016297686_7248658086901055488_n.jpg (720x912, 86K)

Its a problem that leaves out a crucial step for solving it. No one with any sense would write a problem like this, especially if they wanted people to actually be able to get the right answer.

Kek

oops. thanks for the clarification anons

>six divided by two times one, plus two
>six divided by two, plus four
>six divided by, times six
>equals one.
RETARD ALERT!!

Am I the only one who thought the answer was 1.2?

The formatting is ambiguous.

If you ignore the ambiguities, the correct answer is 9.

If you apply the original function of the obelus operator, you'll get 1.

If you recognize the significance of whitespace/grouping and treat 2(1+2) as a single expression, you'll get 1.

>six divided by two, plus four
*fixed
>six divided by, times, two, plus four
MY SIDES LOOOL

o shit my bad
6/2(1+2)
6/2+4
3+4

PEMDAS fuckass

wtf it's 1??? Is it a meme that everyone is saying 9 and I'm out of the loop or is my life a lie?
6/2(3)
6/6

it's fucking 1

learn pemdas fuckasses its 1

/thread
>1 or 9 disposition being in the operators content.

PEDMAS does not account for whitespace/grouping.

PEDMAS does not account for the obelus (÷) and solidus (/) being different division operators due to typesetting limitations.

Eurofag here. Just realized we never actively learned this PEMDA shit in school. I don't know what the fuck is going on. But yeah, I also got 1. I thought multiplying > dividing.

Its either 1 or 9

Attached: 9.png (826x699, 31K)

Right but youre assuming people on Yea Forums have math skills above algebra 1. That being the case any lower education that doesnt talk in the form of operators choice would be simply pemdas.
>dont be a faggot

/ ≠ ÷

it's 1

Attached: literally-elementary.png (750x750, 30K)

thats not the same equation you dumb faggot

Attached: fuck off dumb cunt.png (1533x115, 9K)

Ok. Bye bye, OP.

Really retard?

Attached: 99.png (831x695, 29K)

its fucking 9 you idiot

Can a mathematician verify?

You triggered half of Yea Forums and its need to ignore facts, nicely done
>its both 1 and 9

It's 6 ÷ 2, not 6/2. There is a difference, and the difference is that Because it's 6 ÷ 2(1+2), the 2 is moved into the brackets, so it's 6 ÷ (2+4) = 6 ÷ 6 = 1. Saying that you use BODMAS doesn't even apply here, as no matter what, the 2 is spread out into the parentheses.

Attached: m0xxers.png (104x128, 19K)

Filename is “bait.jpg”.

The problem is obviously ambiguous on purpose. The “retards” are anyone who wasted their time arguing over some dumb ass shit.
Guilty as charged, I guess. Well played OP.

Attached: B11C48C4-822E-4A38-B745-6B2C5F3AF0B5.gif (416x234, 984K)

BEDMAS
B:Brackets
E:exponents
DM:division' multiplication
AS: addition subtraction

Therfore (1+2) is first which equals 3
Then division 6÷2 equaling 3
Niw because there is a number beside a number in bracjets you have to multiply the two numbers 3×3 ending up with 9. therfore the product of 6÷2(1+3) equals 9. Dont quit your dayjobs fucking tards.

Depends on what form is being requested. Assuming OP is just ss dumb as the rest of you it is 1.
Counting in operators choice or as these math fags call it obelus ÷ and solidus - (though those terms have nothing to do with the actual operation) and white spacing

The obelus function, where everything to the left is the numerator and everything to the right is the denominator, is pretty auld schule math history that is, AFAIK, not something that is officially taught anymore. I doubt that's what's leading people astray from naive PEDMAS evaluation, but I like to include it since it was relevant when this kinda shit first started circulating.

The grouping of "2(1+2)" into a single expression, though, is a wholly distinct ambiguity. (It also would reinforce applying the obelus operator's original function.)

its 3 you twit PEUMDV
Please excuse ur moms dirty vagina

Again...5th grade level shit bud. Knowing more wont help you here. I know its 9 or 1, im not dumb enough to think math is unipolar in its functions. But when toure raised ro use a fucking calculator is math class when it has nothing to do with cos, tan etc... you end up being a dumbass and pemdas is the only way to drill order of operations into idiots heads.

This

the answer is ambiguous depending on if you learned core curriculum or real math.

2(1+2)= 2(3)=2x3=6
6/6=1

what the actual fuck is wrong with you? if it were 9 the equation would be (6/2)(1+2)

discord
=~=~=~=~=~=
.gg/kg5TbAA

Ah okay, thanks for the response.

Y'all are fucking retarded. Public school at work... Jesus, y'all can't understand context with a division symbol? How much do I pay in taxes for education? Jesus... That's all. Fuck off.

Brackets and parentheses are not the same thing, but you are right it is 9.

pemdas (grade school) = 1
p.e.(md) (as) [non-brainlets] = 9

Naive PEDMAS gives the correct answer as 9.

It's only by considering the abiguities PEDMAS does not account for that you can end up with 1 as the correct answer.

Since calculators are dumb and capitalism really doesn't require (or desire) students to be smarter than machines, the officially correct answer is 9.

6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
6/6

or

6/2(1+2)
6/2+4
6/6

It's the standard btard division symbol argument. Most people view it as nominator and denominator. Thus the implication would be parentheses around each, making the answer one. Only people born after 2005 would view it otherwise.

I had to take algebra again because of this stupid fucking rule when going back to school, I wish fucking millennials didn't ruin everything.

but as far as it goes, both are technically right depending on age

Do not multiply the 2 into the parentheses first. Thats were u fucked up.
Left to right, division being the on the same level as multiplication.
6/2(1+2) rewritten
6/2*(1+2)
6/2*(3)
3*3
=9

haskell and wolfram both say 9.

i mistyped the first time because, as usual, i'm underslept and a little tipsy and need a nap and go back to more coding.

Attached: fdfsdfasdaf.jpg (755x625, 146K)

This

See

>6/2(3)
>6/6
Same-level operators are evaluated left-to-right, you would not perform the multiplication prior to the division.
6/2×3 = 3×3 = 9
>6/2(1+2)
>6/2+4
Brackets are a higher-level function than multiplication. You would not multiply 2×(1+2) before evaluating the (1+2) to 3. You also would not evaluate the multiplication before the division operator to its left (See above).

Yep. The equation withing the parentheses is first according to pemdas. So distribution is not applied as there is no variable. Answer is 9. That's it.

With the reactions people are having about a math problem, I can only assume 90% of the people in this thread are incels/spergs.

Why are people making fun of him? It's legit algebra

So we can do this two different ways to prove the answer, the first is PEMDAS.
6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
3(3)
Then we can rule of multiplicative distribution
6/2(1+2)
3(1+2)
(3+6)

Thus we have proved the answer is 9

Yo, I could use some weed right now.

Attached: weed-nug-little-nugget-dipped-in-gold.jpg (602x709, 70K)

more like 99%

>6/2+4
As written, this expression is 7.

Or it's just a nice change of pace from the incel/cuckold astroturf.

Alright morons

6/2(1+2) is equivalent to:

6 6 6
--------- = ------- = ------- =6/6 =1
2(1+2) 2(3) 6

Sounds like you guys don't know PEMDAS
Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

I swear shit talking people's math skills is better at teaching math than schools do.

Please explain how anything in those comments conflicts with PEDMSA.

If you did
6/2(1+2)
6/2+4
Then you fucked up. You tried to apply a multiplication function when you have a divison function to the left. Which means you need to do the division function first. And since the parentheses should be done first overall you do whats inside the parentheses NOT applying the a number from outside th3 parentheses.
6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
3(3)
=9

>PEDMSA
I knew you guys were trolling but holy shit that's hilarious

>You tried to apply a multiplication function when you have a divison function to the left.
There is no multiplication function in 6/2+4.
>the parentheses should be done first overall
There are no parentheses in 6/2+4.

6÷2(1+2)
6÷2×3
6÷6
multiplication happens before division

666/(2(1+2)2(3)) is 18.5, retard.

No it doesnt

How did you get rid of the parentheses?

The ISO 80000-2 standard for mathematical notation recommends only the solidus or fraction bar for division, or the colon for ratios; it says that the obelus "should not be used" for division.[6] [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelus#In_text_annotation]

there fore i put forth that the obelus be used for subtraction as the obelus has also been used to represent subtraction in Northern Europe.

therefore: 6 - 2(1+2) = 0

_ (1+2)

>multiplication happens before division
same-level operators (e.g., multiplication and division) are evaluated from left to right.

PEMDAS, PEDMAS, PEMDSA, PEDMSA all describe the official confention for order-of operations.

You may also sometimes see "Brackets" instead of "Parentheses" and "Orders" instead of "Exponents", but the principles are the same.

I didn't. It's a quote from a previous comment that was itself quoting a previous comment it was error-correcting.

I've been taught that whatever has to do with parenthesis goes first, so:
1. (1+2)=3
2. 2*(3)=6
3. 6/6=1

OP and anyone who gets 1 are the retards, learn math you fucking idiots

Attached: fcknrtrd.jpg (265x200, 15K)

Just a math major going to step in, teach you third-worlders a quick higher-ed lesson in mathematics than just "hurr PeMdAs"

Multiplication is distributive. What this means is that 2(1+2) is that while you can add the 1 and 2 inside the parenthesis first, to get 3, multiply that to 2 to get 6, you can all distribute that 2 to the inside numbers.

So; 2(1+2) can be rewritten as (2+4) which gives 6. Same number, different way. In other words, for you children with 7th grade educations pretending to be adults, the 2 makes friends with the one, the two makes friends with the 2, multiply, to get (2+4). This yields the number 6. Which when divided by another 6, gives 1.

I understand a majority of the wrong answers are just 14 year olds and trolls, but hopefully someone can learn something.

Your step 2 is wrong
Once you add (1+2)=3 you should technically drop the parentheses and add a multiplication symbol between the 2 and 3 then work left to right
6/2(1+2)
6/2*3

Dont distribute before you divide on the left

Attached: PicsArt_01-10-02.44.48.png (624x416, 103K)

That's right, the parenthesis on that 3 is irrelevant, but I don't think it would make a difference anyway.

You can indeed distribute the 6/2 into the parentheses to get (3+6), but you'll have to explain in more detail why you're multiplying 2 by (1+2) before performing the earlier-priority division operation to its left.

Its 1 fight me irl behind the gym dweebs

Its wrong algebra faggot

__
2(1+2)

__
2+4

__

=1

Literally no. Distribution is not an order of operation so it does not fall into typical order of operations fashion. Distributive properties are inherent to the multiplication operation. It is simply another way of rewriting the number.
6 can be rewritten as 2(1+2). They are equal and nothing else has been done but rewritten the number. By distributing the two back in, you are effectively undoing that expansion. It is not an order of operation and thus does not fall into a hierarchy or order.

Attached: 1528680270434.png (400x490, 308K)

whatever's inside the parenthesis goes first, unless it's unsolvable.

I was taught that in PEMDAS, M and D are interchangable and should be solved from left to right. Same goes for A and S, but obviously that doesnt apply here.

By this logic it would be 9.
>P: (1+2)=3
>D: 6÷2=3
>M: 3×3=9

See my response-

bitch its one

Does b have the lowest iq or does pol? we need to make the boards do iq tests.

6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
2*3=6
6/6=1
I bet most of Yea Forums didn't make it through grade 6 math

Here we go again. Lets ignore the way math notation has been interpreted for centuries just so brainwashed 20 something's can act smug.

The obelus (÷) is treated as equivalent to the solidus (/) these days, my dude.

6 is not the numerator and 2(1+2) is not the denominator.

It's just 6/2×(1+2).

Literal retard

It always helped me whenever I see a number next to a ( ) i put a * in between them. So i rewrite 6/2(1+2) as 6/2*(1+2) then apply pedmas since this is a linear equation

>expecting someone smart on Yea Forums

Attached: B9E79DF7-6030-4A9E-A9CD-854FBDBF3D0B.jpg (189x292, 9K)

Fact.
Also Ch3ck3d

Let me wave to you in your third rate education and third world country.

Attached: 1532131906759 (1).jpg (216x234, 12K)

Except the 2 is ½ (i.e., 0.5), not a 2, due to the earlier-priority division operator to its left.

6×0.5(1+2) will give you the correct answer of 9, though.

*Attention seeking "non male/female" thing confirmed Yea Forumsros.*

"Hans.... G3t da flamenwaffel..."

/2 != 2.

Why are you distributing a 2 rather than the /2 (i.e. 0.5) that's in the problem?

So its would have then be [6/2(1+2)]

Let me direct you to
With your 0.5 found at the bottom of a well in some desert.

The square brackets are superfluous, but if that helps you understand it's 6/2×(1+2), go for it.

hA yse, I reemmber lraening MASDEP bkac in mdidle shcool.

Attached: fjgg1a7upgxz.jpg (640x501, 39K)

>found at the bottom of a well in some desert
ironic jab considering algebra was created by camel-fucking mudslimes to more easily track the positions of Mecca in relation to the stars

Nobody uses a ÷ sign in actual math. Anyone saying 9 is fucking retarded. You assume the top as a whole is divided by the bottom as a whole. You learn that in third fucking grade.

>ITT
>retards thinking you do multiplication/division in any order other than left to right, because of their retarded acronyms
>retards thinking it's undefined
>retards thinking either answer is correct
>retards thinking a division sign is different than a fraction bar

It's 9 retard.

6 / 2(1+2)
Parenthesis first
6/2(3)
Multiplication and division are left to right
3(3)

It's not 1.
It's not undefined.
Multiple answer are not correct, only 9 is correct.

Kill yourself you fucking faggots.

>You assume the top as a whole is divided by the bottom as a whole
Only if you're retarded you do that.
What your describing would be expressed as

6/(2(1+2)) which is equal to 1

You're the stupidest fucking faggot in the world and I hope you fucking die you smug fucking bitch

Based dubs confirming
This equation format can suck my peen

See:

Attached: pepe smoke weed.jpg (225x225, 12K)

I don't know why you linked me, as I agree with you dipshit

Except for the part where you fucking say 1+2=4

no it does not.
addition and subtraction are on the same level, so are division and multiplication.
please go back to school.

I swear, Yea Forums is literally getting more stupid by the day.
Next month: 2x2+5=??????????

>btw: answer is 1

9. (Please excuse my dead Aunt Sally)

PEMDAS

PLEASE
EXCUSE
MY
DEAD
AUNT
SALLY

We aren't trolling.
You're just a retarded chimp.

>retarded chimp doesn't understand order of operations
>bush decides to overhaul school system so he does
>teachers have brilliant idea for pedmas
>teachers say that MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION ARE DONE LEFT TO RIGHT AND DO NOT TAKE PRIORITY OVER ONE ANOTHER
>retard has this go in one ear and out the other
>LMAO HUR PEDMAS MEANS DIVISION IS FIRST LMAO
kill yourself

Do you dumbfucks not realize the file name is BAIT.jpg?? The problem is intentionally ambiguous to make you dumb fuckers argue

No, dumbass. You multiply out 2(1+2) to get rid of the parentheses, giving you 2+4.

You put that back into the original equation to get 6/2+4, then it's just plug'n'chug to get 7.

Attached: wrongfaggotspedmas.png (2537x1339, 206K)

multiplication and division are done from left to right
division is not always first.

Same with addition and subtraction

Welcome to math, dipshit

The obelus is ambiguous. If there is a single term to the right of it, that is usually implied to have parens around it in standard notation.

>you dumbfucks not realize

wow user. you're on a completely different level.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. All you fuckers get so easily baited into this shit. It's no wonder the world is going to shit.

Attached: 5634.jpg (474x474, 29K)

Its Juan

9 faggot

All you stupid fucker who were subjected to common core are being groomed to be the stupid drones of our society.
Parenthesis first 1+2=3
No exponents so you do Multiplication and Division from left to right 6/2=3
3(3)=9

Now what's the rule here.....TITS or GTFO

>6/2(1+2)
>6/2+4
Except you're fucking stupid and you violated order of operations since you didn't do multiplication from left to right

If you do 6/2+4 that means you multiplied the 2 on the right with the contents of the parenthesis BEFORE you multiplied with the six. Which isn't left to right dipshit.

Doing it the way you want to would be the following
6/2(1+2)
3(1+2)
3+6

Again, it's 9.
You're fucking stupid and should kill yourself.

Fuck off retard

You obviously don't know how the obelus works.

It's not intentionally ambiguous. It's not ambiguous at all. It just plays off of common misconceptions because public school is the epitome of dog shit and cant teach simple math. Multiplication and division are evaluated from left to right. Division is not always first. This is where the fighting starts because faggots are too insecure to realize they've been doing basic math wrong their entire lives. It's not really their fault , like I said, public school is absolute garbage.

no. on the left, you make the 2 multiply by each part of the bracket, which violates the law of doing multiplications and divisions from left to right.

/thread

You bastards would argue whether or not the sky is blue.

my bad, in my frustration with the stupid, I forgot the Tits

Attached: tumblr_mzse68EXqZ1qe575eo3_1280.jpg (675x900, 375K)

>ITT, people who don't understand the obelus symbol.

I see, well color me corrected then, I will bend over for my spankings

It's from the limitations of typesetting.

Back in ye olde daze, everything to the left of the obelus is the numerator, everything to the right of the obelus is the denominator.

But the obelus (÷) operator is officially deprecated, should not be used, and when it does appear should be treated as equivalent in function to the solidus (/) operator.

It's interchangeable with /
This isn't hard.
It's not ambiguous

You're just a fucking retard

Public school dipshit...

no. you did the right multiplication before the left division.
from left to right.
yes, you solve the bracket first. whats inside the bracket, not what is next to it.

Neat fact. This thread was entire waste of time.

6/2(1+2) = 9
6/(2+(1+2)) = 1

Suggesting anything else makes you a total fucking retard.
Refer to
and

>6/(2+(1+2)) = 1
I meant 6/(2(2+1)) = 1

>This thread was entire waste of time.
Not like those dozen cuckold/incel/"WWYD?" threads which are valuable ways to spend your life.

Attached: 4955770723.jpg (1612x1270, 154K)

Attached: A9A0826E-7180-4B0B-8DF7-3A020D3A1322.jpg (1162x500, 83K)

>It's interchangeable with /
>This isn't hard.
>It's not ambiguous
You are 100% incorrect and obviously too young to know better.

And you're clearly 100, because thinking ÷ means anything other than / is archaic and incorrect.
More importantly, the original problem uses fucking / anyway.

It's 9.
Wolfram says it's 9.
Google says it's 9.
Wikipedia says it's 9.
My TI says it's 9.

But yeah, you're clearly the right one here.
Stupid bitch.

Provided you can filter out the trolls, you might have a remedial math deficiency corrected and learn a bit of historical trivia from this thread.

I don't know what people get out of the generic porn threads that they keep them alive here rather than just going to Bing video search for their whacking needs.

>dude, they totally used this symbol this outdated way in 1917 and I'm totally aware that they did this even though it's not used that way anymore
>that makes me smart and you dumb and young

how about you climb down out of your own ass

Reality says it's one. So does my TI. That devide symbol is antiquated. For a reason. It's a matter of what is divided by what. It's implied parenteses. That's why mathematicians don't use that symbol. Ever.