I'm leaving for Rio de Janiero tomorrow night. I've never travelled by myself before...

I'm leaving for Rio de Janiero tomorrow night. I've never travelled by myself before. Departing from LAX and have a layover in Peru. Anybody have any last minute advice for me? I'm so goddamn nervous there is this fluttery pit in my stomach. I'm staying with a local friend by the way

Attached: 1544588190530.jpg (403x322, 28K)

Make sure you don't touch their dicks with your teeth or they will kill you

what is the nature of your visit

The local friend is my gilrfriend. So sex, mainly

Make sure your planes not a 737 kek.

pretty lucky guy, how old

I hope this information is as useful to you as it was to me when I went for the olympics 3 years ago.

Attached: 5D1E36CE-B0AA-47BD-9F46-7AE749C935FD.jpg (640x512, 47K)

I just got back from Mexico, City last night. First of all enjoy your vacation, take it all in and live in the moment. Go out of your comfort zone but trust your gut.

Eat things you normally wouldn't, even if they're far from your range, you'll never know what you end up loving. Talk to the locals, ask about their lives but not intrusively, you'll hear so many different stories that leave marks. Ask them what their favorite eating spots are, who knows better than the locals about their food. TripAdvisor and yelp take you tl tourist traps.

Pack lightly, only some clothes and essentials. You can buy the rest there. Budget correctly, it's gonna seem easy to buy everything they offer you because it's so foreign, so hold on on souvenirs until the end.

Separate your money, keep local currency in a few places like pants and in hotel and bring some of your home Money to exchange in case of going over your budget.

And lastly, most important to me is live in the moment. Take a few pictures for memory but don't document EVERYTHING. Some things feel way better in the moment than through your phone screen. Enjoy Brazil! Stay safe and know where your Embassy is!

i dont live in rio, but general advice for when coming to Brazil is:
>Keep an eye on your stuff, dont leave it hanging around
>Be careful when walking around at night
>Hold on to your phone/wallet when walking through crowds
>dont eat the things they sell at the beach, you might get hepatitis
>Avoid using your phone in the streets
>Dont let randoms in the street notice you're a gringo.

You'll be fine, the worst thing that can happen to you is getting robbed, Rio recieves a lot of tourists so they are (kinda) prepared

don't stray from populated and well to do areas.

don't trust street vendors or cab drivers. specially cab drivers

788 and a 763, and airbus the other 2

Thanks. I'm 22 she just turned 20

Still haven't seen city of God but gf says elite squad is better

Thank you. Do you have some advice for the logistics of the flight? Like the airline hasn't confirmed 2/4 of my seat selections amd it's tomorrow night. I'm more worried at this point of somehow fucking up my flight at LAX or the layover than the destination

>hepatitis
Yes I got vaccinated for hep A and yellow fever and the flu. But not for typhoid for some reason. Is it supposedly not as common or what?
>Dont look like a gringo
I was thinking of wearing shorts and sandals but I'm quite pale on my feet and legs, thoughts?

Yeah we are planning to stick to uber and other than fucking in our hotel in Urca, eating at a churrascura and checking out mr. Redentor and sugarloaf. None of that favela tour bullshit

also never hand anything to anyone unless you ABSOLUTELY have to. Don't let your phone, credit card and passport out of sight for even a second.

the vaccine stuff is overkill. Yellow fever outbreak is over and everything else is practically nonexisting, maybe dengue fever

Ok user, I recently moved to Rio, so you can AMA if you want to. This fucking city is HOT and it's dangerous AF. Three weeks ago I heard a guy robbed three people at gunpoint in front of the Flamengo (wealthy and packed area) subway station in plain daylight.

The general tips are watch out for your phone, if you're at the beach some asshole may wanna snatch it. If you're in a good area and there are still people out you should be fine, but DON'T WALK ALONE PAST MIDNIGHT. If you wanna be really safe don't touch your phone or use headphones, but I think that's overkill.

Most people will treat foreigners really well, unless it's some asshole trying to get your money. These are mostly on the really touristy spots. You should be fine.

Arm yourself

Most airlines have apps that let you check in 24 hours before your flight. Id check with tye confirmation number and it should tell you there. Some airlines don't release the full info until it's closer to flight time because that's when things start to solidify.

Get to LAX with plenty of time, i got there an hour to flight time and TSA didn't let me through once. Stupid Randy's Donuts, if you plan on stopping make sure you have timo, the cashiers take fucking forever to fill orders.

Credit cards are widely accepted but it's good to have some money. Have change and don't try to pay in dollars. Don't worry about getting sick too much.

you are gonna get robbed

Hey user, as someone that spent a week in Rio two summers ago and have family that has lived in Brazil for several years before I was born, I have some advice to offer you.

Obviously it’s incredibly beautiful. There are so many incredible parts of Rio with Copacabana Beach, the Sugar Loaf, Christ The Redeemer, Ipanema, etc. so you’ll be extremely anxious to pull out your phone or a camera and snap some pictures.
Try to avoid this as much as possible. It tells the locals that you’re not from there and a prime target for theft.

When walking on the beach, there will be people approaching you and asking you if you want a drink, or basically if there’s anything they can do for you. Don’t allow them to give you anything and don’t buy anything from there. Often what happens is while one person is talking to you when you’re on the beach, another person will come up behind you, dig a hole in the sand, take your belongings or anything they can without you noticing, and put your belongings in the hole they dug in the sand only to return later and take it so that you won’t see them walk off with your stuff.
If you speak Portuguese, fantastic. If you don’t, try to pick up on at least the basics. It helps, trust me. Plus, Brazilian Portuguese is a beautiful language.
Keep your phone, wallet, or whatever sort of personal items in your front pocket(s), and not in the back. Makes it easier to keep an eye on things.
If you don’t have any sort of dietary restrictions, eat lots of black beans, rice, French fries, and steak. I stayed at the Copacabana Palace Hotel when I was there (Five Star Hotel, rather swanky) and I would get a massive gravy boat of black beans, a huge pile of rice, French fries, and steak for the equivalent of $11USD every night from room service.
I’m not sure if your girlfriend is a native or what have you, but if you head into the favelas, do not take anything, don’t commit any crimes of any sort, etc. Pretty obvious one.

All in all, you’re going to have a fantastic time. Have a caipirinha or two if you feel comfortable with drinking, but beware that it’ll put you on your ass quicker than you could imagine.
And try Guarana. It’s almost like a sort of apple flavored cider soda. It’s a personal favorite of mine.
Enjoy your trip and I hope everything goes swimmingly.

An user mentioned above that they’re really lovely people unless they’re some asshole trying to scam you for some cash. 100% accurate. They’re incredibly lovely people and a simple “bom dia” and a smile goes a long way. Also, watch out what kind of hand gestures you use. I was made to believe that using an “OK” sign with your hand (essentially making a circle with your thumb and index finger) was an insult. That may just be old, traditional Brazilian culture kind of like how Americans used to say “groovy” per say, but I’d avoid it.

overall advice: what this guy said …
>Do you have some advice for the logistics of the flight? Like the airline hasn't confirmed 2/4 of my seat selections and it's tomorrow night.
who the fuck cares? you're 22, you'd survive a couple rides in a middle seat. this shit is SO unimportant.

in general, just do what your gf (who's been surviving there just fine for a while, no?) tell you. this isn't rocket science.

just don't be the EXTREMELY stupid stereotypical american. (you can be a little stupid; everyone is in a new environment.)

what do i mean by extremely stupid? sth like this:
>be me, years ago
>live in upstate NY
>cross the bridge to spend a couple hours in niagara falls, ontario
(that's in canada, a very similar, but technically foreign country, you ignorant fucks)
>see murrican landwhale mommy, in her 40s or so
>who completely LOSES it when she sees a canadian mailbox and realizes that it isn't blue and doesn't have a curved top like USPS mailboxes
>calls all 10 of her relatives over personally to go apeshit over this marvel or a red, flat-top mailbox
>you're in a different fucking country
>why do you expect the UNITED STATES postal service to collect and deliver the mail?!

so just don't be like THAT

Last comment, churrascarias tend to be tourist traps down there. Some of the best food I ate was in French and Italian restaurants down there, believe it or not.

Be very careful because they use scopolamine powder out there. All they have to do is hand you something with it on it or blow it into your face and you will be under there control. If you have never met this women before becareful cause these scams are very popular with women that convince men to come with them or meet them. Do not drink anything you didnt pour yourself and do not drink anything that you left unattended. Also do ask for ice in any drinks cause the ice can have bacteria that will get you very very sick. Stick to cold bottled water and make sure its sealed right cause they bottle tap water out there and sell it to tourists. Safe travels

Attached: 1527817600632.png (231x149, 26K)

Edit: DO NOT ASK FOR ICE* ONLY BOTTLED COLD DRINKS. OR YOU ARE ASKING FOR HEP OR FOOD POISONING / MAJOR LIQUID SHITS

I thought Rio was in a state of civil war, but okay, bring money, you will be robbed... A lot

You're gonna fucking DIE in Rio, it's nothing like that movie with the birds.