Tell me i'm stupid

tell me i'm stupid.
so i'm building a kitchen and at the rental place i'm at i noticed the the area where the counter top mets the backsplash by the sink is crack and dirty, now i check friends house and this was similar
so am i an idiot or is there a better way to install counter tops and sinks.
and is that. better way creating a small slope on the counter top so the water can not pool and open up small cracks between the counter top and backsplash this solution is to good to be true right?

tldr: i want to install my counter top on a slope is this dumb?

Attached: extra shim in the back.jpg (622x466, 80K)

yes, you're a retard. And if it's not from age, whoever installed the backsplash and counter tops were retards too because they didn't know what they were doing.

What you should do is make sure your counters are leveled, as best as you can get it, second, buy a sheet of plywood (however much you need for the surface area) cut it accordingly and leave enough room for the bullnose to hang over.

Before I say more, what kind of counter top are you doing? granite or tiled? Might have gotten ahead of myself assuming you're doing granite.

Also don't do a slope, if it's not flat, it makes it more susceptible to cracking

granite,
from age... oh ya that makes senes
not worried about that. getting thicker granite not that crap they be hawking now a days

so age of the support cases the crack not water expansion

so do i put in my cabinets and then???

i really do not want that crack and it seems to occur on almost all residential and some hotel backsplashes

Fill the crack with a silver amalgam.
No need to replace entire counter (Its a rental who's paying?)

>kintsugi is all the rage.

Attached: kintsugi.jpg (1162x850, 120K)

You shouldn't let water pool on your countertops.

Followed by drag a nice caulk line. Keep it nice. And replace it before it goes to shit.

>You shouldn't let water pool on your countertops.
ya exactly!!!
thats why i want to put a slope so far the only thing that makes this a bad idea is that it might crack but suring it up with a thicker piece of ply would prevent that.
i think this will work can't be too steep cause the sink needs to drain 1/8 inch of 24inches

What are you using for a backsplash?
Tiles will cover this gap you speak of...
Otherwise, file the countertop to match the contour of the wall behind it

>What you should do is make sure your counters are leveled, as best as you can get it,

because it is less math for the install, easier fit for a double bullnose or because that they way daddy taught me?

>file the countertop to match the contour of the wall behind it

this is a new idea,
thank you

tile maybe subway
if i can swing it more granite but budget gets tight every week

Well I wouldn't recommend going with a slope.. not professional and just doesn't sit right, I've never seen it and I imagine it would stick out, but that's because this is what I do for a living, so that's just me.

Stone is pretty durable but it's not unbreakable. usually it's just poor care for why things break down. Water wouldn't really damage it unless you're taking a fire hose to it.

So most people get the bullnose (the edge, usually rounded or squared) and you'll see it if you look. it adds another half inch on the edge to over hang. I'd recommend the sheet of plywood for reinforcement and extra durability. after you cut it, screw it down, make sure the nails are below surface level and not sticking above because that will fuck up your granite too.

Welp, now comes to putting on the granite, Idk your size, but if you need two people to lift it, keep it vertical. don't tilt it or it can break while carrying it.

Unless you’re covering the gap with a backsplash, it’s the only way.
Google will find you some neat ways to transpose the wall profile onto the countertop with a pencil...
Take your time and do a good job, it will give you something to feel proud of

love you Yea Forums screen capping and transposing to /diy/

Pretty much what I was taught and easier for the bullnose, but I guess you could cut the plywood shorter for the angel.

Don't let it pool as in don't put puddles of water on your shit.
Having it sloped will just run that puddle onto the floor.
Did you slope the floor to avoid warped floorboards?
Just wipe the mess up like you were smart enough not to make it happen in the first place.

wish i was smart enough not to make a mess.

i'm taking 1/8 inch over 24inch i could sand that

When you're putting on the granite, get the edge to the countertop and slide it up lowering it so it lays flat on the counter slowly, you should also move from holding it from the sides to the front for better leverage. Then just slide it back to the wall. Afterwards I'd recommend whoever is helping you lifting it up from the mid center so you can either squirt a few globs of silicone or liquid nail (It's glue) under the counter top so it sticks down and doesn't slide. each corner and then about 10 inches apart.

i saw it in the house that i grew up in slab was cut into 2 and joined L shaped the area that was exposed to water was not level and the area that was prep was the join was a 45 for 5 inches then parrell to the level portion.

didn't understand it thought it was bad craftsmanship been exploring possible reasons during construction. so far my dad was a smart guy

Well it's your shit so. I've dealt with other peoples shit where I found an unboxed wire connection on the other side of the shower wall close to the pipes.

that brings me to my next question
so my understanding is it is held in place by glue and weight

could this slab slide and hurt someone how would you recommend i avoid that or is that a big reason to make it level

transposetion transposay
this is were i'm rewriting this

transposetion transposay
this is were i'm rewriting this

Well if you don't want water going behind the granite against the wall it would help to secure it down so it doesn't move, but the silicone/liquid nail will keep it in place, the weight will do the rest. You should use either of the two and let the weight do the rest. If you're going to angel it it's on you. Just make sure it's shimmed up fully across the back, don't want any gaps to weaken support. I've never done it that way so I can only give my opinion. Then use the silicon to fill in the gap along the wall for further water prevention.

thanks Yea Forums here have 2 pictures of 20 year old pussy

Attached: 10000191_534221390026702_740959972_n.jpg (640x960, 18K)

don't tell my ex i traded her image for construction advice!

Attached: 10000260_539305436184964_458649304_n.jpg (384x512, 41K)

It wouldn't be a bad idea but it'll just run onto the floor and start cracks there. What you need is some kind of catch for it at the bottom of the slope, kind of like the gutters on a house or something.

Or you know, just wipe off the fucking counter.

Nigger