I just replaced my first spark plug

I just replaced my first spark plug
ask me anything!

am I an mechanic?

Attached: asdfsadfasdfsadf.jpg (425x425, 10K)

Why did the original need replacing?

how did you do it?

A misfire, upon pulling it extremely corroded

Sharpie in pooper?

with a ratchet set i bought

Lawn mower?

I have a spark plug?

Spark plug in pooper

A ford windstar

You just changed one?

what is that thing and why do i feel it should actually be an estim butt plug

yesh

no I changed 256, it's a large engine and I tought if one is so rusty I should chande them all to be sure

its for vehicles to make them work.

Best off just to do them all at once

Now change the rest of them, and don't forget the di electric grease and anti seize.

how exactly

A spark plug creates a small arc of electricity that ignites a pre determined fuel, air, and compression mixture, to propel the crank shaft of the vehicle to distribute it's power to the rest of the drive train.

alright thanks

yeah i should but money and time

you should at the very least look at the others.

looking at the condition of your plugs will give you a good idea of the health of the motor.

a nice, healthy, cylinder will have a pplug that has a light colored "dust" on the electrodes. burned, blackened, or oily plugs indicate issues with that cylinder

Stupid af

All the other spark plugs will be well used, too, so the risk that they will seriously harm your engine is high

but, good on ya for doing it yourself.

even being able to change your own oil, you're more mechanically inclined than 75% of car owners

lots of this

Did you torque the spark plug to the recommended specification according to the car's owner manual?

This is sad, but true.

I did check two others in the front, they look fine for now. I've got to go to work shortly so thats the only reason i'm not doing anything else right now.

Im going to learn how to do that, i already know how to do a bunch of car shit. google and youtube my friend, lol

torque it, lol ok

You can get a set of decent platinum plugs for ~$15 on rockauto

Yeah the spark plugs on this motor are a complete bitch, 2000 ford windstar and i think they made it hard so owners took it to dealerships
and fuck that.

Uneven electrode wear between cylinders could be evidence of an issue with your engine. Not totally uncommon if it's a high mileage engine, but it's one of the things you can get from inspecting plugs

since you're an "at home" DIY guy, youll just need little ramps to drive up on.
my local Oreilys has a nice drain pan that will store the oil till you can dispose of it.

Hopkins FloTool Oil Drain Pan
part# 42004

well, it's a minivan sort of thing.
they're always a bitch, the motor tucked back into the dash and covered with a million miles of vacuum and wiring

were you scared?

Attached: 1504975420680.gif (392x260, 2M)

Well, why don't you analyze, think rationally?

That the connectors (the part that isn't in your engine) are corroded isn't nice, it, however, is a problem, if the electrode distance is too high. That way the Spark needs a higher Voltage, which decreases gas milage.
Further along the road of electrode disintegration, the electrodes will fall apart and smack around the zylinder, possibly destroying valves and the piston

That's like the most important part, you brainlett

only gasoline engines though

yeah E-cars just use an electromotor of course
are there variations depending on what kind of chemical fuel you use?

You should change all the spark plugs, not just one

Probably referring to the fact that diesel engines use a glow plug

a glow plug is just hot instead of arcing electricity?

Note: im the other guy sparkplugs for gasoline, aviation
glowplugs for initial ignition of diesel motors (afterwards the combination of high compression and cylinder heat cause ignition)

yes, glow plugs are similar to the filament of a lightbulb. they glow hot to help with cold ignition of diesel motors

Yeah, diesel engine combust from heat and compression. No spark required

A Glow Plug just prepares a cold diesel engine to ignite.

Diesel Engines - in principle - ignite the fuel air mixture by much higher pressure (= high Temperature, pV = NkT).
This is what makes diesel engines more costly but also more effective.

Diesel combusts due to the heat caused by pressurizing the air in the cylinder. Right at tdc when the cylinder is at its hottest the injector sprays fuel which is then ignited by the temperature in the cylinder. Gas requires an actual spark to ignite as it is too volatile for compression based ignition

just out of curiosity, do you think there will ever be alternatives to chemical or electrical fuels for cars?
i mean electromotors are probably here to stay, but what about other ways to store that energy for the trip? right now chemical fuels are the most energy dense storage methods we have, but what about the nuclear option? an on board nuclear reactor (with proper shielding of course) could deliver much more energy/mass and also /time. How about going all out and using antimatter if we can ever produce it in sufficient amounts?

only if it was a diesel engine

i think the big limiter of civilian mobile nuclear, is cold fusion, and waste control.

people will be pissed if these cars put out radioactive material instead of Co2

The thing is it cost just as much to have someone else change your oil as it does to do it yourself

But you'll use better oil and know it was done properly. No filter falling off 3 miles down the road.

yeah not getting fusion working is a big issue, fusion actually doesn't have that much nuclear waste, it's mostly immediate radiation which we actually want for energy
the amounts of waste you could actually create on a car via fission could probably be stored and regularly dumped somewhere though (if we actually find a place to dump nuclear waste)

If you bring it to a trusted shop it doesn't bother me. But somewhere like jiffy lube or something I'd never take my car there. I just absolutely hate working on vehicles so I'd rather just have someone else do it

Yeah I get it. I just don't trust anybody. I just had a local shop regear my Jeep and it was the first time I've paid a shop to do something since I started driving in 04

If I had a nice garage and all the tools to work on my vehicles would probably make me more willing to do more of my own maintenance. After changing a water pump on a 1999-2000 Oldsmobile intrigue in highschool I told myself I'd never work on a car again. Such a pain in the ass

So you've learned how to twist a spanner both leftways and right. That's incredibly impressive OP. Now if you could only learn how to wash your balls.

Who hurt you

A mechanic is a career related term, being a mechanic kinda sucks depending on what your working on. I'm a heavy duty tech, working on all kinds of heavy equipment, mostly diesel. I got into it because of my passion for cars but my career has slowly killed any motivation I had to continue my hobby, it sucks doing this day in day out, its hard on the body. I'm 25, my body creaks and cracks like I'm 50 already. Arthritis in both of my hands and shoulders.
If I could get into some kind of sponsored racing team kinda gig that would be cool as shit but you need to have connections for that to happen.
Most people wouldn't want anything to do with being a vehicle mechanic if they knew what it really entailed on a daily basis.

Did you use dielectric grease and anti sieze? Did you also properly gap the plug?

Have fun user, make sure you have a full tank of gas, and try to start the thing in your garage. You don't want to lose all of your tools by leaving them outside and forgetting where they went.