Hey Yea Forums! Maybe wrong board, but you guys are like Yea Forumsrothers to me, so I wanted to share the happy!

Hey Yea Forums! Maybe wrong board, but you guys are like Yea Forumsrothers to me, so I wanted to share the happy!

I just finished a cooling mod on a PS2 Slim! The newly installed intake fan shoves air into the system at a (relatively) high volume, resulting in a system temperature maximum of 85'F! It's powered by a USB port on the front (I suck at soldering, so fuck trying to on contacts this small), and aside from that little plug and wire, the mod is entirely internal! What do you think? Temp tested with three hours of Armored Core: The Last Raven

Also, PS2 nostalgia / older gaming nostalgia general.

Attached: 20190310_190728.jpg (400x300, 17K)

I plan on replacing the zipties with screws and nuts tomorrow, just to finish making it look nice and clean.

Attached: 20190310_190744.jpg (400x300, 13K)

>does the mod net you a better gaming experience?

>if so, in what ways?

Attached: 1543383379010.jpg (800x800, 133K)

Well, the system runs considerably cooler, so it will last much longer. The PS2 Slim was the far better console of the two PS2s, with far greater reliability (PS2 Fat lasers burnt out regularly), and had better enhancements available for PS1 games, just had a heat problem that fried some consoles if not properly maintained. This mod greatly extends the lifespan of the system, and this PS2 Slim is almost new to boot!

So, no gameplay enhancement outside of maybe a little less high-use slowdown (FPS drop) from CPU overheat. The main benefit is longer lifespan.

Attached: AC Celestial Torrent.png (1153x975, 539K)

Fuck I love Armored Core! But only the PS1 and 2 games. Everything since then has been shit.

Attached: AC Raging Inferno.png (1155x974, 548K)

Is my thread gonna die? :(

Gotta say, this game looks terrible through my capture card...

Attached: AC-LR 1.png (1159x974, 822K)

Nice job job

Attached: Bump belly.gif (265x199, 1.24M)

>DDR and PS2 is love

Attached: 1517565179363.gif (512x256, 1.76M)

Extremely high output energy weapons platform

Attached: AC Warlock.png (1155x976, 525K)

Ace Combats 4, 5 and Zero...
Sky Odyssey...
Armored Cores 2 - LR,
Gungriffon Blaze,
MS Gundam FVZ,
FF10, 10-2, and 12...
And so many more...

The PS2 was a wonder. Still my favorite game system. I've been collecting and playing ever since it came out, and now have 277 titles for it! Man, what a wild couple of decades!

Bump for nostalgic glory?

pretty cool op

Thank you! This is the kind of shit I do when I get bored on a day off. I don't have a lot of money, but I do have a shitload of older consoles and old PC parts lying around, and a modest collection of tools, so tinkering is kinda my thing.

Was it worth it

Very much so!

How difficult of a mod is this to do if I may ask, I'm interested in doing something like this

Nice, proud of you.

Cool stuff dude. I miss playing swbf2, the wwe smackdown games, and medal of honor games on my ps2 with my little brother.

Am curious as to how you did this with out soldering? All good electrical work requires it? Pics of the wiring?

Attached: 1344228182319.jpg (794x1209, 614K)

Very easy! With the right tools, you can do this in maybe half an hour. All you need is a fan of the right size, a thin USB cable, some heatshrink and a lighter, a drill and bits, and a hole saw. Having a dremel tool also helps for cleaning things up.

First, open the system, and figure out where exactly to put the fan. You need some inside clearance for the nuts/ties that will hold the fan on. Once you have found the right place (I highly recommend somewhere over the heatsink), place your fan in that spot on the topside of the case and pencil mark the corner holes and the big hole the fan will be blowing air into. WITH THE TOP HALF OF THE CASE OFF, drill the corner holes in it, then use those holes to center the hole saw and drill the big hole for the air. Drill/dremel a hole/slot between the USB ports, being careful not to hit the board. Cut the USB cable and the fan cable so that they will be the right length to tuck into the small amount of space you'll be working with, then splice the black to the black and the red to the red, using heatshrink to insulate the splices. Assembly with screws and bolts or zipties, and viola! Done! Super easy! Just make sure the fan cable is on the inside, that you feed it through the air hole before you fasten anything down. Will upload pics of inside.

Will upload pics. Twisting the wires together then heatshrinking them.

Thank you for the instructions man, very cool

Fan is USB powered.

Attached: 20190311_004308.jpg (400x300, 24K)

And wires are twisted together and heatshrinked. Not anticipating any pulling or other forces acting on them.

No problem! Happy to help a fellow gamer do some cool stuff!

Attached: 20190311_0043501.jpg (300x224, 13K)

Forgot to mention, I but off a little tab of metal from that shiny sheet to get the wire under it. Still, simple and easy cooling mod to keep a PS2 Slim going for years and years with no heat issues! Hell yeah!

Bump?

Attached: 1551431460853.gif (900x602, 1.55M)

thought of doing the same thing to mine since it overheats after like 1hour of using it, good job OP i like the output

Thank you! I like to come up with mods that don't take a whole lot of technical knowledge, so just about everyone can do them too. Makes it easier to share the love that way!

Very cool, will do this thanks user