What are the downsides moving into a shitty little sub-$20,000 house in the middle of nowhere U.S.A...

What are the downsides moving into a shitty little sub-$20,000 house in the middle of nowhere U.S.A? I'm really tempted to do it, is there a catch to it? Is there a hidden cost that I'm not aware of that will fuck me over?

I desperately want to move out from my parent's house, but California is insanely expensive and I'm poor as shit with only a few thousand dollars under my belt and I really only earn a few hundred a month (tops) doing freelance online. It seems awfully tempting because this is an achievable goal.

Have you done it?

Attached: rundown_house[1].jpg (507x338, 116K)

if you work from home you'd have a better existence in the third world. digital nomadism look into it

Being out in the country is nice, but the internet is fucking awful and horribly expensive. Unless you run a business, you can probably request to have lines put up near you.

>666

leaving the U.S. is too scary for me, Satan.

that is something I'll keep in mind. I suppose the dream would be a place with decent internet and it isn't a 30 minute car drive to buy groceries.

I'm naive and certainty ignorant.

Real estate guy here. If I were single, I'd think about it. There are quite a few areas where about 20k would get you a house.

But the two main issues are crime and/or jobs. If you work at home, that solves the job issue. But crime is still a factor. Oh, and it's tough to get a mortgage for anything in that price range, most lenders won't do it since it's too low.

If I were to do it though, I'd get a duplex, tri or quad and rent out the other units. That way you can have an extra income stream.

Also, for cheap and nice places, check out Myrtle Beach. Condos in the 30k range and close to a great beach. I've been wanting to check that area out for awhile.

AMA if you want.

It's boring as fuck out here. That's really the only downside

so if I went on zillow, scoped out some cheapo, say $20k house, and told the agent "I want it!" they'd just about always "okay, but you have to pay in full!" Is zillow even good?

are there any other hurdles? I understand that driving and hauling my stuff there would be a mission in itself, but is the deed good as done at that point? I've never lived on my own before.

not much better here, I get all of my entertainment from the internet, playing games, and exercising.

>20k house
>bufu
work/ everything is far away
probably have a well for water
all utilities are on you most likely with exception of electricity.
>tldr;taxes, no utilities, job opportunities limited.
Like moving into a trailer Park. you'll end up being stuck there forever.

Becuase of the extra distance many of they produced you see in store will have there prices jacked up. Also many small towns don't have everything you will need, so you will need to drive to a bigger town to get the rest of the times you need.

So, I've bought houses sight-unseen, but only through people I trusted and not to live in myself. For your first time, I woudn't do it that way.

Assuming you have the cash, you'll want to get a housing inspector to go through it and be there with him when it happens. Also, visit the area and make sure that you like the neighborhood.

Zillow is decent, it's just a feed on what the realtors already see. Zillow, redfin, all of them are the same

(cont'd)

Mostly that jobs don't pay much in middle america either.

You source of income is internet. Give it a minute to sink in.

The internet is faster in mid Kansas than where you are.

So here's what I'd do. Go there for a couple of weeks on a holiday. Go out and have them give you a tour of the neighborhoods while you're there, and walk through some of these cheap places. Often they are cheap for a reason - you don't want to buy something that's 10k and requires 50k+ to fix foundation issues, mold issues, plumbing problems, a new roof, windows, furnace, etc. just so it can be livable. There's no substitute for walking through the place yourself in-person.

Also, stay away from homes that are really old. 1950s is probably the limit of what you want.

Then at the end of each day, if you have a place you like, put in an offer and see what happens.

Which city are you looking in / thinking about?

You'll usually find insane property taxes in those places, and no jobs or infrastructure worth a shit..

And your neighbors are likely to be niggers that will jack you and break into your house. They're "cheap" for a reason. Just find out what it is and decide if you can work with it.

You can’t drink the water, some areas don’t have a real septic system to dispose of waste water, tornados, crime, infrastructure, doctors, never being able to leave.

Ironically, when I moved to the country my internet was 3x better and half as much money.

>Which city are you looking in / thinking about?

That's a very good question. I don't really have much family I could go out of state to crash at and I don't really want to spend a lot just going on vacation around the country.

I have a cousin in Colorado, that's it. Maybe Colorado?

>What are the downsides moving into a shitty little sub-$20,000 house in the middle of nowhere U.S.A?
lack of internet, high tax rates(property or income)

Colorado is pretty popular so I don't know if you'd find much there for a low price.

Some good bang-for-the-buck cities are Memphis, Birmingham, Omaha, Cleveland, places like that. And I've mentioned Myrtle Beach too.

It wouldn't really be a vacation, though. This would be a research trip and imho, you need to do that if you're going to be serious about it.

Eastern CO you can find a house for under 50k, but anywhere close to the mountains is more like 300k+

People do survive in middle of nowhere, but are you the type of person who would?

Think about the people who live in Alaska and shit, so many stuff to take care of. Life is very different with way more responsibilities when you live isolated.

this.
no work.

>buying a condo
Waste of fucking money. Even though you own it you still pay rent to the complex.

Winter.

I have an uncle that buys $12000-$15000 houses in Ohio, puts $6k into them, then rents them for $500 a month. He’s rich as fuck now. I say go for it.

I live around 1 hour away from the city (because traffic). I live in a nice condo surrounded of shit neighborhoods. Here are the pros and cons I have.

>Pros
It is peaceful
Food is cheaper
I can see more stars than in the city
It is some degrees lower because there is less polution
Rent is cheaper
>Cons
Far from job (I can do home office if I want to)
Internet sucks (The houses here are now 6 years old and just a month ago they installed fiber)
Some services will not be available (Uber eats and similar sucks, cable, medical)

I miss living in the city mostly for the quick travels and the possibility of ordering food by delivery but I think that in my case, the pros outweighs the cons, mostly because I can work from home and I dont have a shitty internet anymore.

I pay $50/month for 1gbps and my closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away

that is very encouraging

>city water is better than well water
get a load of this faggot

>California is insanely expensive and I'm poor as shit with only a few thousand dollars under my belt and I really only earn a few hundred a month (tops) doing freelance online
Dude just get a van or TV and live the life rent free.

>being a landlord
uncle does it with 5 houses and I worked for him over the summer. had to go mow all 5 yards once a week, 2 of them had pools and I had to service those twice a week, plus the constant upkeep on the other shit the owners were complaining about or broke.

one of the properties he hasn't seen a payment for 6 months and their lease is expired, but because they have been living there for 4 years now, they have "squatter's rights" and so he can't do anything. They've had the locks changed so he can't get in, and he's going to court currently on the matter.

There's a house for sale in a ghetto by me for $8,000. I'd go for it but I don't want to get shot